RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

538 picks up the WBBState situation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beknighted

PostPosted: 03/16/16 1:48 pm    ::: 538 picks up the WBBState situation Reply Reply with quote

The key point in this article - which is completely accurate - is that the reason that WBBState going down is so bad is that there's a paucity of good data on women's basketball out there, particularly compared to men's sports.

What we're missing.

I think about this sometimes when I'm updating my RPI/NCAA tournament spreadsheet. (Which is available for free to anyone who asks in a PM and gives me an email address, by the way.) I can say, definitively, that since 1999 no team has made the tournament as an at large with an RPI of 75 or worse, or that no RPI 12 team has gotten a #1 seed, and can pull out all the teams in that time span in the top 100 in RPI with 17, 18 or 25 wins and tell you what percentage have made the tournament. But that data - which is really basic - isn't available in a usable form online, and it should be.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 03/16/16 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I miss WBBState super bad.

dtrain34

PostPosted: 03/16/16 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've avoided being furious or crying, but there was almost 100% truly honestly literally -- all of that -- no number or comparison I couldn't find on wbbstate. They even had the good sense to drop their own rating system when they apparently realized it wasn't too accurate.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/16/16 5:12 pm    ::: Re: 538 picks up the WBBState situation Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
The key point in this article - which is completely accurate - is that the reason that WBBState going down is so bad is that there's a paucity of good data on women's basketball out there, particularly compared to men's sports.

What we're missing.

I think about this sometimes when I'm updating my RPI/NCAA tournament spreadsheet. (Which is available for free to anyone who asks in a PM and gives me an email address, by the way.) I can say, definitively, that since 1999 no team has made the tournament as an at large with an RPI of 75 or worse, or that no RPI 12 team has gotten a #1 seed, and can pull out all the teams in that time span in the top 100 in RPI with 17, 18 or 25 wins and tell you what percentage have made the tournament. But that data - which is really basic - isn't available in a usable form online, and it should be.

You have the data, you should put it online yourself.

PostPosted: 03/16/16 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how this affects teams in their NCAA tournament preparation. Playing teams from other leagues they may not have exposure too. Someone should write an article asking coaches how much they used this resource and what they doing in its absence. I'd presume some old school coaches may not care about advanced stats but maybe some coaches out there do embrace it and use it in game planning?

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/16/16 6:01 pm    ::: Re: 538 picks up the WBBState situation Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
You have the data, you should put it online yourself.

Probably, but it's just the one document and I already run three other sites and a Facebook page.

Once upon a time, I had a fantasy of designing a fairly comprehensive WCBB site, focusing on historical data, and I even started putting it together, but it turned out to be something that was more complicated than I had time to do.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 03/16/16 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtrain34 wrote:
I've avoided being furious or crying, but there was almost 100% truly honestly literally -- all of that -- no number or comparison I couldn't find on wbbstate. They even had the good sense to drop their own rating system when they apparently realized it wasn't too accurate.

There was definitely terrific information on there. So worth the money. Really wish I had access to it right now.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/16/16 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An amazing lesson in discovering why off-site back up is the ONLY way to go if you're running a critical site and trying to make money from it!

- Amanda Gorman
beknighted

PostPosted: 03/16/16 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
An amazing lesson in discovering why off-site back up is the ONLY way to go if you're running a critical site and trying to make money from it!

Yes. I was kind of stunned to learn that they didn't have one.

Phil

PostPosted: 03/17/16 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Yes. I was kind of stunned to learn that they didn't have one.

I agree. A good lesson here.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/18/16 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What Happens When Big Data Just Disappears?

http://fortune.com/2016/03/18/what-happens-when-big-data-just-disappears/

Quote:
Compared with men’s professional and collegiate basketball, there is a dearth of good statistical sources for the women’s game, which is one reason the WBBState snafu is so infuriating

PostPosted: 03/25/16 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

www.womensbasketballdailey.net, out of Ann Arbor

Just thought I'd print it out. Follow on twitter @WBBDaily. The one issue I used to have w/them was attempts to send info on teams,leagues, players. Was told at time(few yrs back) that the University had to send out those press releases. Maybe I was just getting the brush off, in terms of their policies.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/13/16 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Update from the home page of http://wbbstate.com/

Quote:
But thanks most of all to the women's basketball community. It wasn't until this bizarre episode, and the unexpected media coverage, that we were able to fully realize how much you count on us and how unique our services truly are. We will aim to live up to your support in the future.

After listening to your feedback, we will be taking this opportunity after seven years to streamline our services to highlight what makes us different: sortable, splittable, exportable statistics at affordable prices. New architecture will allow us to offer simplified (and reduced) per-league, per-season pricing. A new site will also allow us to add more leagues. We will return on May 15, the opening day of the 2016 WNBA season. We hope you'll come to trust our new products for scouting, analysis and game preparation as you have since 2007.

PostPosted: 04/13/16 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, pilight.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 04/13/16 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They're right about the fact that they are unique. If there's another game in town for sortable WBB statistics, I don't know what it is.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/16/16 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://wbbstate.com/

They will apparently be back tomorrow

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: