RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2015-2016 Coaches Hot Seat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ladydawgs96

PostPosted: 01/29/16 7:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
warladytigers wrote:
Beating Kentucky was nice - and the overtime period against Arkansas Sunday was nice - but lack of depth on bench - and getting shorter next year...no "big" coming in unless a JUCO shows up.....next year is the last year of her contract (I believe)....IMO we need some staff changes - should have already been done. The bright spot is Alli Smalley-Bracewell on the sidelines.....

Break out the blow torch! Gas is cheap again.......Auburn's Terri Williams-Flournoy's seat just got to the scorching brow level of heat. You don't lose to UGA by 30+ and it go unnoticed. She makes a half million bucks for crying out loud.

The second and fourth quarters were really bad. Only 3 and 4 points (plus 8 in the third). Did I read somewhere that she dedicates 75% of practice to defense?

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 01/29/16 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ladydawgs96 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
warladytigers wrote:
Beating Kentucky was nice - and the overtime period against Arkansas Sunday was nice - but lack of depth on bench - and getting shorter next year...no "big" coming in unless a JUCO shows up.....next year is the last year of her contract (I believe)....IMO we need some staff changes - should have already been done. The bright spot is Alli Smalley-Bracewell on the sidelines.....

Break out the blow torch! Gas is cheap again.......Auburn's Terri Williams-Flournoy's seat just got to the scorching brow level of heat. You don't lose to UGA by 30+ and it go unnoticed. She makes a half million bucks for crying out loud.

The second and fourth quarters were really bad. Only 3 and 4 points (plus 8 in the third). Did I read somewhere that she dedicates 75% of practice to defense?

It was pathetic. She very well may devote that much time to defense. I wouldn't be surprised. The real downfall has been a lack of recruiting. That combined with a steady stream of transfers out of the program has resulted in playing with a 9 or 10 player roster. Even if you believe in a pressing 40 minutes style of play, you simply cannot carry that game plan out without depth on the bench.

As for yesterday, it's one thing to get beat by an Andy Landers or Dawn Staley coached team. Its another to be in your fourth year and get it handed to you by a rookie coach regardless of how promising she may be. To that point, it looks like you guys may have made a good hire in hind sight. Most Georgia people I know were less than excited to have her named HC last year, but it seems to be coming together nicely.

warladytigers

PostPosted: 02/01/16 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given the lack of offense it may be more than 75% - have no idea. I just know that this is really unacceptable - if I performed my job like this I would be shown the door.....

ladydawgs96

PostPosted: 02/01/16 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

warladytigers wrote:
Given the lack of offense it may be more than 75% - have no idea. I just know that this is really unacceptable - if I performed my job like this I would be shown the door.....

I posted this in the coaching movement thread, but I figured I would ask here:

What happened to Sherill Baker?

She was listed in game notes up until the 12/30 game as the assistant coach.

warladytigers

PostPosted: 02/02/16 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't know - can only speculate. She was not on the sidelines for any of the games last Fall. At first we figured she was recruiting since the Fall class was so poor (and small)....my guess - she was let go but it was put out as "pursue other interests" - a rookie coach and I think the recruiting coordinator.....a job for which she had little training. (As far as I can tell.) I do know she was still around when they did the photo shoot (as was Pettihomme) - but that was done before signing day......lost a coach and now two players....who's next?

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 02/04/16 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

warladytigers wrote:
Don't know - can only speculate. She was not on the sidelines for any of the games last Fall. At first we figured she was recruiting since the Fall class was so poor (and small)....my guess - she was let go but it was put out as "pursue other interests" - a rookie coach and I think the recruiting coordinator.....a job for which she had little training. (As far as I can tell.) I do know she was still around when they did the photo shoot (as was Pettihomme) - but that was done before signing day......lost a coach and now two players....who's next?

Ty Evans has been Assistant Coach and Director of Recruiting since TWF got the HC job. He was with TWF at Georgetown before taking the same position at bama. When she was hired at Auburn, he followed her. I also have no idea what happened to Sherrill Baker. Her profile on the Athletic Dept site does not mention her leaving, yet she is not listed as an assistant coach on the Women's BBall page. I would love to have an honest 20 minute conversation with Alli Bracewell . There are some serious chemistry problems within the program and somebody knows the origin of the problem. I have begun to wonder if TWF is still invested in the program mentally and emotionally. Is she happy? Does she have family issues complicating her job performance? I don't know. I, like you, can only speculate at this point. Regardless of the reasons, there is no excuse for the product that is being put on the court. The program has been in steady decline each of the 4 years since her arrival. I don't think it has anything to do with her ability to coach, but all to do with her ability to recruit and manage the program overall. When the roster was full of Fortner's recruits, she won 19 games and played into the semi finals of the NIT. That isn't the goal I know, but its better than where we are now.

warladytigers

PostPosted: 02/05/16 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that the first year that Coach Flo was at AU that Caroline McCombs was the RC - he may have taken over when she left......what I find interesting (going back through the old media guides is how many players have left.....I know Nell had a few but it doesn't seem like nearly as many and that isn't counting those who left when Coach Fortner did.) I'd like to see more player development and a "big" or two - the loss of Tanner to graduation is going to be huge!

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 02/06/16 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

warladytigers wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the first year that Coach Flo was at AU that Caroline McCombs was the RC - he may have taken over when she left......what I find interesting (going back through the old media guides is how many players have left.....I know Nell had a few but it doesn't seem like nearly as many and that isn't counting those who left when Coach Fortner did.) I'd like to see more player development and a "big" or two - the loss of Tanner to graduation is going to be huge!

You are probably right. I had assumed, given that he was the recruiting coordinator at bama, that he had that role with Flo as well. Typing that I can't help but wonder what exactly he does do. You would think that having been recruiting coordinator at bama and now Auburn, that he would have built some relationships with high school coaches in the state. Ofcourse, I would also think that if my brother was the chairman of AAU basketball, that I would be able to reap some benefits from that.

I asked a few people about Baker. I could never get a straight answer, but its interesting to me that her job duties are now Alli's. To replace her, they divided the position and also hired Precious Morris. I have no idea why she was hired. She was working with TUF in a fund raising role before she was given that position. That smells kind of stange to me..

Durantula

PostPosted: 02/15/16 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

warladytigers wrote:

Auburn gets a big win over Florida. At this point they are doing much better than anyone expected so I think they are in fine shape going forward in terms of coaching job security.

Some schools that may be interesting to track in terms of potential openings:

Central Florida: Coach got an extension in 2011 that runs through 2015-016 (http://www.ucfknights.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/092211aaa.html). Assuming no additional extension has been granted, UCF is 5-20 (2-12 in AAC) which makes it hard to expect a new contract coming though. UCF made NCAAs a few times in C-USA but the transition to the AAC hasn't been easy.

Virginia Tech: Wins over Tennessee and Penn State look good relative to their prior years but 3-9 in conference play in year 5 for Dennis Wolff, a coach who was brand new to WBB. Virginia Tech also has a new Athletics Director that did not hire the current coach.

Arizona: Believe the coach is on the last year of her contract, and Arizona is 2-12 in conference so its hard to imagine an extension coming.

North Carolina: 4-8 in conference but that isn't really the issue. UNC's program is facing potential NCAA sanctions and it didn't make things any better when the coach was suspended for bumping into a referee but also getting in trouble for some minor NCAA recruiting violations this year. Health concerns can also play a role and there was notable angst when the UNC MBB coach got an extension while Hatchell did not even though both programs are clouded by academic issues. Potential retirement candidate?

Illinois: Coach has only been there since 2012-2013 season so normally this would be too early to include someone, but Illinois has had major off the court issues, lawsuits, had to fire an assistant coach, lost a bunch of players to transfer, and are 1-13 in conference play. The main thing complicating this is that Illinois to my knowledge has no athletics director right now. With off the field issues in multiple sports, the old AD resigned so I think Illinois would be hard pressed to make a change. The old AD did fire the football coach but the new coach only got a 2 year deal, which screams lets not make a commitment until a new AD comes in.

Virginia: 4-8 in conference play under tough situations. Best post player transferred late in the offseason to South Carolina and the top guard was hurt and missed numerous conference games. But when Virginia misses the NCAA tournament this year, it will be five years for Boyle and no NCAA appearances. Great facilities and academics, Virginia is probably underachieving relative to potential.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/15/16 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Re UVA: Imovbioh was a graduate transfer, and a lot of times they do go somewhere else. Just saying.

PostPosted: 02/15/16 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Win over #16 Florida and Terri Williams-Flournoy is most likely off the hot seat for the season. She has 1 more year on her initial 5 year deal. I don't look for her to get an extension until a point closer to the early signing period, if she gets an extension prior to being able to see how the team plays next year. She has Auburn on the short list with a couple of top 10 recruits and I would expect her or her agent to argue that her ability to land one of those requires an extension prior to that signing period. The validity of that argument aside, I would not expect any extension to be more than one or two years. Everyone wants to see her succeed, but nobody wants to give away a couple million if that sustained success is not going to happen.

Durantula

PostPosted: 02/24/16 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Article at NJ.com: Could these be C. Vivian Stringer's last days at Rutgers? https://www.nj.com/rutgerswomen/index.ssf/2016/02/rutgers_womens_basketball_ncaa_tournament_c_vivian.html. Given the unusual parameters of her contract, and considering who Rutgers loses vs. who they have coming in, it almost makes sense to go in another direction, but there are other factors at play. Rutgers just hired a new AD, will he be inclined to give her more time as they probably barely know each other? Rutgers just hired a football coach, their men's basketball program is winless in conference play, so maybe they are more worried about that.

According to her contract terms, Stringer is owed $1.4 million if she coaches her final two seasons.

If she is fired immediately after the season, Rutgers is off the hook for its final two seasons of financial terms.

PRballer

PostPosted: 02/25/16 1:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More rumblings in Tucson for a coaching change after another cellar season for Arizona...with an interesting thought on a replacement!

Personally, I like the idea of Julie Hargrove (nee Brase). It would be great for Arizona to make a move up in women's basketball; Joan Bonvicinni had the program poised for success but it really faltered after the Polk tragedy.

Anyhow, an interesting thought on a former Wildcat hire from the WNBA ranks:
http://zonazealots.com/2016/02/24/arizona-basketball-womens-program-needs-new-direction/

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 02/25/16 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vandys MB is in the midst of a 7 game losing streak. Has a decent recruiting class coming in next fall but fans of this proud program are dropping off.

joetro

PostPosted: 02/25/16 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Audra Smith? Clemson is really struggling ...

IM in OC

PostPosted: 02/25/16 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
More rumblings in Tucson for a coaching change after another cellar season for Arizona...with an interesting thought on a replacement!

Personally, I like the idea of Julie Hargrove (nee Brase). It would be great for Arizona to make a move up in women's basketball; Joan Bonvicinni had the program poised for success but it really faltered after the Polk tragedy.

http://zonazealots.com/2016/02/24/arizona-basketball-womens-program-needs-new-direction/

Sounds like the writer was the agent for Ms Hargrove then an objective writer.
I do think UA needs a major change, but to promote one person only? Will wait and see who is offered an interview.

FS02

PostPosted: 02/25/16 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
PRballer wrote:

Sounds like the writer was the agent for Ms Hargrove then an objective writer.
I do think UA needs a major change, but to promote one person only? Will wait and see who is offered an interview.

And being a college HC is a lot more work and has many more aspects to it than being a WNBA assistant, so that would be a big jump. You'd think Arizona would want to go with someone more proven.

PostPosted: 02/25/16 1:34 pm    ::: Who else should be heating up Reply Reply with quote

What other schools do we think the seat is heating up? I think Arizona is known, do you think LSU saved their HC with their big win?

colt13

PostPosted: 02/25/16 2:22 pm    ::: Re: Who else should be heating up Reply Reply with quote

womenhoopfan wrote:
What other schools do we think the seat is heating up? I think Arizona is known, do you think LSU saved their HC with their big win?

I thought Arizona would make a change last year. Have no clue what they will do.

Would love to see someone like Brooks Donald-Williams move from Mcneese to LSU.

Hopefully not Cremeans at Denver. They had a bad year, but to me that is due to injury than coaching.

Lillian Hidgepork

PostPosted: 02/29/16 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ole Miss must be getting warm. 2-14 in the SEC this year. 10-19 overall and this is with his players. Bottom dwellers usually dont last long.

LSU may have saved their seat for a year.

Auburn is probably safe also.

Tennessee unless they go far in the tourney is going to draw heat like none other.

womenhoopfan

PostPosted: 02/29/16 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think LSU is saved after one win. With her salary she should be producing way better than one "quality" win.

mrsfresh

PostPosted: 02/29/16 11:51 am    ::: Re: Who else should be heating up Reply Reply with quote

womenhoopfan wrote:

Both Virginia schools Boyle at Virginia and Wolff at Virginia Tech

Wolff's seat appears to be hotter

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/colleges/va_tech/dennis-wolff-s-future-as-virginia-tech-women-s-basketball/article_f7494bb5-c9ef-505d-8d1e-6b51b3d91ecb.html?mode=jqm

Fan comments want him out

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/colleges/va_tech/dennis-wolff-s-future-as-virginia-tech-women-s-basketball/article_f7494bb5-c9ef-505d-8d1e-6b51b3d91ecb.html?mode=jqm_com

colt13

PostPosted: 03/01/16 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What about Cincinnati? They haven't shown much improvement under Elliott.

Looking at the old Virginia tree-Auriemma and Staley, does anybody think that with the year Syracuse is having, that Reiss gets a HC job?

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/01/16 9:30 pm    ::: Re: Who else should be heating up Reply Reply with quote

mrsfresh wrote:
womenhoopfan wrote:

Both Virginia schools Boyle at Virginia and Wolff at Virginia Tech

Wolff's seat appears to be hotter

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/colleges/va_tech/dennis-wolff-s-future-as-virginia-tech-women-s-basketball/article_f7494bb5-c9ef-505d-8d1e-6b51b3d91ecb.html?mode=jqm

Fan comments want him out

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/colleges/va_tech/dennis-wolff-s-future-as-virginia-tech-women-s-basketball/article_f7494bb5-c9ef-505d-8d1e-6b51b3d91ecb.html?mode=jqm_com

Virginia just announced that Boyle will return next year, and her contract runs through 2017-2018 but from the AD's comments she will be under pressure to make the NCAA Tournament next year. She'll probably be one of the first names on next year's hot list, a la Niya Butts this year.

http://www.dailyprogress.com/cavalierinsider/boyle-will-return-as-uva-women-s-basketball-coach/article_cca2d24e-e011-11e5-86cd-8b0b684c9aee.html

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 03/02/16 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
Ole Miss must be getting warm. 2-14 in the SEC this year. 10-19 overall and this is with his players. Bottom dwellers usually dont last long.

LSU may have saved their seat for a year.

Auburn is probably safe also.

Tennessee unless they go far in the tourney is going to draw heat like none other.

Ole Miss is most likely fine this year. He walked into a bad situation and there are still penalties to come from the actions of the prior staff that led to their dismissal.

Terri Williams-Flournoy is returning for the last year on her contract, but I wouldn't expect an extension. She is liked inside the Athletic Department and among the fan base, but recruiting has been a disaster and there is too much of a commitment to the program to continue to lag in performance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: