RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Katie Gearlds - Coach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/04/16 1:03 am    ::: Katie Gearlds - Coach Reply Reply with quote

Nice article about what the former Boilermaker is doing now.

http://www.wthr.com/story/31134212/local-basketball-legend-first-time-coach-katie-gearlds-turns-marian-into-national-contender

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 02/04/16 6:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice read, thanks for the link.
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 02/04/16 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You beat me to it. I was actually going to post that. She is an exception to the rule...she was a great player that turns out to be an excellent coach. She has done great things with that program already.

Wishing her continued success.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/04/16 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cool.

That was a fun Purdue team.

PostPosted: 02/05/16 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was at the 2011 FF in Indy, leaving lunch at P.F. Changs, when I saw Katie coming in with Kristy Currie, her former coach. I stopped to tell Katie how I regretted seeing her away from Seattle, and she kindly told me the brief story of her injury....she was just SOO nice.

I also remembered hearing how she missed Curry badly, when Kristy left for TX Tech. I never quite *got* that---as much as I like Katie, I am NOT a Curry fan. Razz

PostPosted: 03/13/16 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Katie ready for DI?

Should IPFW give her a chance?

Her sister played for IPFW from 2000-2004.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 03/13/16 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Forgive me, not trying to hijack the thread, but if we're talking about former college greats who are moving into coaching here's a nice piece on Alexis Gray Lawson who is making her mark as a (high school) coach as well. Nice to see these young athletes move into coaching and pay it forward...

http://www.parkbugle.org/comos-belief-carries-cougars-to-state-tourney/

Quote:
The Como girls basketball team won the Section 4AAA championship and is heading to the state tournament....This history-making 2016 Como girls team was led by first year head coach Alexis Gray-Lawson and her assistant coaches LaToya Turk, Alex Moore and Brian Pearson.

Gray-Lawson is a former WNBA player, who also played professionally in Europe. Her basketball acumen is extremely high, but the knowledge she passes on to her players is not limited to the X’s and O’s of the game.

Gray-Lawson, called “Coach Lex” by the girls, has instilled and modeled service to her players. She and her staff serve the community and school by supporting the team academically and emotionally. The coaches expect academic responsibility and good citizenship, but also spend time with the girls tutoring and working through challenges, as well as bonding through events and activities filled with jokes and laughter.

In turn, the girls willingly work on the court and in the classroom. Coach Lex said the team’s greatest strength is belief. They believe in themselves. They believe in each other. They believe in using their gifts and talents as best as they can to maximize their time together.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 03/13/16 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Katie's team knocked off #1 overall seed and #1 nationally ranked Morningside in the Elite Eightm. Her team is in the NAIA Final Four! I wouldn't be surprised to see some ADs mingling with her in Indy next month!

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/15/16 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will be interesting to see what doors this opens.

http://www.wthr.com/story/31479650/marian-wins-naia-womens-national-championship

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: