RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

At midseason, which teams are a pleasant *surprise*?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/01/16 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
They don't have to be leading the conference or anything, just doing better than you expected and maybe looking like they might be on an up cycle. Mine are probably, in no particular order

Arkansas
Georgia
JMU
Auburn
Missouri State

I don't see as many games as I'd like outside of SEC and CAA. Confused

As I posted last season I was not expecting James Madison to do well because I thought they had a lot of question marks in the post. The freshmen, while having made a lot of mistakes which is understandable, have really stepped up and filled the void left by the departing seniors and I have been impressed with their play, from what I have seen and read. You seemed to have a much higher opinion of the team going into the off-season so I'm curious what in your eyes has been the biggest pleasant surprise?

Kayla Cooper-Williams. She is an amazing freshman center with an ability to block (has already set the JMU frosh record with 5 more conference games to go on the season) *and* score, even throwing in some 3-point bombs on occasion, but more than that, can move really well for a big girl. She's been the best surprise.
Savannah Felgemacher. Now being played at PF, she also moves well for a big girl. She was barely recruited out of HS, but Coach Brooks saw something he liked in her. She is still raw but showing flashes of what she'll be around the basket.
Logan Reynolds. Quick little guard out of the coal country of Wise County, VA. Possibly a replacement for Mickens down the road,
And I can't leave out Hailee Barron. She shoots, she bombs them in from 3 point land, she plays the point when Mickens takes a rest, she plays more minutes than just about anyone. She's a workhorse. Love her.

Cooper-Williams has not attempted a 3 yet. Were you thinking of someone else?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/01/16 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Fighting Artichoke"]
summertime blues wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
They don't have to be leading the conference or anything, just doing better than you expected and maybe looking like they might be on an up cycle. Mine are probably, in no particular order

Arkansas
Georgia
JMU
Auburn
Missouri State

As I posted last season I was not expecting James Madison to do well because I thought they had a lot of question marks in the post. The freshmen, while having made a lot of mistakes which is understandable, have really stepped up and filled the void left by the departing seniors and I have been impressed with their play, from what I have seen and read. You seemed to have a much higher opinion of the team going into the off-season so I'm curious what in your eyes has been the biggest pleasant surprise?

Kayla Cooper-Williams. She is an amazing freshman center with an ability to block (has already set the JMU frosh record with 5 more conference games to go on the season) *and* score, even throwing in some 3-point bombs on occasion, but more than that, can move really well for a big girl. She's been the best surprise.
Savannah Felgemacher. Now being played at PF, she also moves well for a big girl. She was barely recruited out of HS, but Coach Brooks saw something he liked in her. She is still raw but showing flashes of what she'll be around the basket.
Logan Reynolds. Quick little guard out of the coal country of Wise County, VA. Possibly a replacement for Mickens down the road,
And I can't leave out Hailee Barron. She shoots, she bombs them in from 3 point land, she plays the point when Mickens takes a rest, she plays more minutes than just about anyone. She's a workhorse. Love her.

Cooper-Williams has not attempted a 3 yet. Were you thinking of someone else?[/quote

Probably Dee Griffin Embarassed Mind is not altogether clear today, sorry.

PostPosted: 02/02/16 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="summertime blues"]
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Arkansas
Georgia
JMU
Auburn
Missouri State

Cooper-Williams has not attempted a 3 yet. Were you thinking of someone else?[/quote

Probably Dee Griffin Embarassed Mind is not altogether clear today, sorry.

That was probably it. She's a 6'2" F, so I can see the confusion. I guess she's a stretch 4?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/11/16 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well here's a surprise! Sheryl Swoopes' Loyola team is 8-3 in the MVC and in a 3-way tie for second with Missouri State and Northern Iowa! Quite the step up from the basement they were mired in when Swoopes took over. Perhaps some vindication here. They are 12-10 overall, but she did have them play Michigan State, Northwestern, Green Bay, and GA Tech early in the season, which speaks well of her scheduling. Sounds like they might be on the way up. Good for them, and for her!

PostPosted: 02/12/16 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Well here's a surprise! Sheryl Swoopes' Loyola team is 8-3 in the MVC and in a 3-way tie for second with Missouri State and Northern Iowa! Quite the step up from the basement they were mired in when Swoopes took over. Perhaps some vindication here. They are 12-10 overall, but she did have them play Michigan State, Northwestern, Green Bay, and GA Tech early in the season, which speaks well of her scheduling. Sounds like they might be on the way up. Good for them, and for her!

I am pleasantly surprised by Swoopes' success. I didn't think she'd be able to adjust to coaching players not close to her level, but she obviously has.

It's really a credit to her, and she could wind up having a very successful coaching career at a high level.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: