RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Maryland games vs MSU and PSU postponed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/22/16 2:08 pm    ::: Maryland games vs MSU and PSU postponed Reply Reply with quote

Just said on the news that Maryland's home game with MichSt scheduled for Saturday has been moved to Monday, and its Tuesday game @PSU has been moved to Wednesday. All because of the blizzard of 2016.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/22/16 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Spartans flew in this morning. Given the forecast for snow into Sunday morning, getting a flight in that day is not guaranteed. But if they're already in CP, they can just play in the snow this weekend with everyone else in the DMV.

I like this schedule change. I was afraid MD would have to squeeze in another game just before their road match-up at tOSU. This is better.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/23/16 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if that Monday game will happen. I think they just said on the news that the university is closed Monday.

Durantula

PostPosted: 01/23/16 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All over the east coast games have been re-scheduled. A few were played on Friday and after the George Mason-Duquee game Duquesne got stranded on the PA Turnpike overnight, but it sounds like they are making the most of it and having a good time.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/01/23/duquesne-basketball-stranded-snowstorm-bus-update

The team left at roughly 4:30 p.m, before getting stuck in traffic on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. And the blizzard blanketing the Mid-Atlantic region did the rest of the work. According to their official Twitter account, the team has been stuck in the same spot ever since. Ferry and guard Micah Mason have done live SportsCenter hits in the meantime to keep the public updated.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/23/16 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maryland - MSU game now "postponed indefinitely"!

About 20+ inches of snow already on the ground and heavy snow (in white out conditions) still falling. No plow sightings. Drifts up to 5 feet. I wonder what ever made them postpone it again? Laughing

ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/27/16 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Game is now scheduled for Friday, February 5th in College Park.

This is exactly what I was afraid would happen.

Now Terps must play 3 games in 1 week, on the road against a good Purdue team, then at home against a very good MSU, and finally on the road against the Buckeyes. Last time they faced OSU, it was at the end of a 3-game week (which included UConn) and Maryland was flat. I so wanted to see how they would perform in Columbus with adequate rest. Now that's not gonna happen.

Nobody's fault but the storm's. Oh well, still disappointing.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 01/27/16 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's a very difficult week, as they may be the 3 biggest challengers to the Terps in the B1G. And 2 on the road. Yikes.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/27/16 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't expect much sympathy from Gopher fans. While your team has taken this break, my team has just played 3 games in 7 days.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 01/27/16 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Don't expect much sympathy from Gopher fans. While your team has taken this break, my team has just played 3 games in 7 days.

But not 3 games like these:

@Purdue
Mich. St.
@ tOSU

Your 3 games were:

Northwestern
@Wisconsin
Illinois

Notre Dame just finished 3 games in a week, but their 'gauntlet' wasn't anything like the Terps will face. First of all, they were all in South Bend:

Tennessee
Syracuse
Virginia Tech

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/27/16 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That Illinois game was something else. I watched it....well, the second half....and it was rough-and-tumble for sure!

PostPosted: 01/27/16 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wish the Purdue and Ohio State games were flip-flopped. Purdue would have a much better chance vs a Maryland team coming off games vs Mich State & Ohio State. Being the first, they really don't have much of a chance. I don't think Purdue matches up well with Maryland.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/27/16 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Shades wrote:

But not 3 games like these:

@Purdue
Mich. St.
@ tOSU

Your 3 games were:

Northwestern
@Wisconsin
Illinois

Notre Dame just finished 3 games in a week, but their 'gauntlet' wasn't anything like the Terps will face. First of all, they were all in South Bend:

Tennessee
Syracuse
Virginia Tech

So? They've had a break and they're ranked #5. Are fans worried they won't live up their ranking? I can't relate but maybe you can. My team just beat comparable teams in that 7 day stretch.

The Gophers finish the season tough with MSU, OSU, and MAR all in a row, but we're not ranked #5 so not really worried about it.

What's the use of fearing competition? If you're not good enough, you're not good enough. If you think you're worthy of being ranked #5, you shouldn't be worried.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/27/16 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
That Illinois game was something else. I watched it....well, the second half....and it was rough-and-tumble for sure!

I watched last night, too. I didn't realize that Gophers were playing their 3rd of the week. That may explain why UM, and Banham in particular, got off to such a slow start. I doubt they would've come back like they did in the 3rd period, against Purdue, MSU or OSU. Lucky they were playing at home against the team with the worst record in the conference.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/27/16 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
Game is now scheduled for Friday, February 5th in College Park.

This is exactly what I was afraid would happen.

Now Terps must play 3 games in 1 week, on the road against a good Purdue team, then at home against a very good MSU, and finally on the road against the Buckeyes. Last time they faced OSU, it was at the end of a 3-game week (which included UConn) and Maryland was flat. I so wanted to see how they would perform in Columbus with adequate rest. Now that's not gonna happen.

Nobody's fault but the storm's. Oh well, still disappointing.

Michigan State was originally scheduled to host Michigan on Thursday, February 4th. In order to accommodate the MSU @ MD game change, the U-M @ MSU game was moved up a day to the 3rd. This means Michigan State will have one day to recover while traveling to College Park. That's tougher IMHO (and I'm not a MSU fan..).

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/27/16 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

P.S. Then the Spartans have a Sunday matinee at Iowa.

1/31 at Wisconsin
2/3 vs Michigan
2/5 at Maryland
2/7 at Iowa

ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/27/16 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Michigan State was originally scheduled to host Michigan on Thursday, February 4th. In order to accommodate the MSU @ MD game change, the U-M @ MSU game was moved up a day to the 3rd. This means Michigan State will have one day to recover while traveling to College Park. That's tougher IMHO (and I'm not a MSU fan..).

This snow-related rescheduling is creating some very tough situations, MSU and MD both. The beneficiaries are the teams not affected. In Maryland's case, OSU gets MD with 4 days rest at home. Iowa gets MSU at home at the end of the Spartans' grueling week.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/27/16 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

1/31 at Wisconsin
2/3 vs Michigan
2/5 at Maryland
2/7 at Iowa

Wow. This is very tough for Sparty especially with 3 of those games on the road.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 01/27/16 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

1/31 at Wisconsin
2/3 vs Michigan
2/5 at Maryland
2/7 at Iowa

That is a ridiculous schedule! Four games in 8 days and 3 on the road. Yuck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: