RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Fight Cancels Girl's High School Game - Seasons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/17/16 9:32 am    ::: Fight Cancels Girl's High School Game - Seasons Reply Reply with quote

http://www.wthr.com/story/30985165/fight-breaks-out-at-pike-ben-davis-girls-basketball-game

It looks like #4 in red (Pike HS) kicks or stomps on a person that is on the floor.

Last edited by Ex-Ref on 01/18/16 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/17/16 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That ought to have serious consequences for the rest of the season for both schools, up to and including cancellation of their seasons. No excuse for such behavior.

PostPosted: 01/17/16 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looked like one girl in red was stomping on someone.

Very simple here. Once they find out who was involved, they are done athletically. PERIOD.
Howee

PostPosted: 01/18/16 1:00 pm    ::: Re: Fight Cancels Girl's High School Game Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
http://www.wthr.com/story/30985165/fight-breaks-out-at-pike-ben-davis-girls-basketball-game

It looks like #4 in red (Pike HS) kicks or stomps on a person that is on the floor.

That appears to be more of an afterthought....what was THE MAIN fight about, who was involved in THAT? Unfortunate.

Ending their athletic career (for a first-time offense?) is a bit much. Heck, Griner, Parker, Pierson, et.al., would be history, if we adhered to that standard.

PostPosted: 01/18/16 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seasons cancelled.

Will probably go to court and be reinstated for tournament. That's what happened last year with a couple of boys teams that were in a fight and their seasons cancelled.

Or it will be overlooked because it's girls' basketball.

http://www.wthr.com/story/30994408/ihsaa-cancels-pike-ben-davis-girls-basketball-seasons-due-to-fight

Amazing.

Quote:
Ben Davis issued a statement.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheSportsGuy13/status/688504932832522243

The IHSAA came down hard on Griffith and Hammond following a fight in a boys game last season, suspending both teams for the season. A civil court judge issued a temporary restraining order, allowing both teams to play in the tournament. Griffith made it to the Class 3A state championship game.

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/fight-involving-players-and-fans-halts-girls-basketball-game-in-indiana

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/19/16 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Pike parent Tuawonna Kinyahwe said, "I think yes they should be punished, but the whole season? No. The probation next season? No. I think counseling and with good direction, it could turn it around, but it's a little bit too harsh, another way that society punishes women than men."

http://www.wthr.com/story/31001441/parents-react-to-punishment-for-pike-ben-davis-girls-basketball-fight

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 01/19/16 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Quote:
Pike parent Tuawonna Kinyahwe said, "I think yes they should be punished, but the whole season? No. The probation next season? No. I think counseling and with good direction, it could turn it around, but it's a little bit too harsh, another way that society punishes women than men."

http://www.wthr.com/story/31001441/parents-react-to-punishment-for-pike-ben-davis-girls-basketball-fight

Another example of a parent making excuses. Give me a break with this counseling crap.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/19/16 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Quote:

Another example of a parent making excuses. Give me a break with this counseling crap.

For real. They know what's right and wrong. And mommy thinks the boys would have been punished any differently? *snort*

PostPosted: 01/19/16 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shyra Ely-Gash's (starred at BD and was Indiana's Miss Basketball in 2001) response to the incident.

http://www.wthr.com/story/31006149/2001-miss-basketball-from-ben-davis-responds-to-season-cancellation

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/19/16 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The question I have is were ALL the athletes involved? If so then yeah, give it to them. If not, it is pretty harsh for those who did not participate. And actually if the perpetrators can be determined, also give them Many hours of meaningful public service before they can do any kind of athletics again.

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/19/16 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
The question I have is were ALL the athletes involved? If so then yeah, give it to them. If not, it is pretty harsh for those who did not participate. And actually if the perpetrators can be determined, also give them Many hours of meaningful public service before they can do any kind of athletics again.

Actually they do this to other teams (boy' teams too) in most states, so the punishment is not out of line. Your argument is the same one that gets made every time a team gets penalized for the shenanigans of one or two players or a coach Confused

PostPosted: 01/20/16 7:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mommy will file a lawsuit and both teams will play. Just like Griffith last year and the little girl from Elkhart Memorial who wanted to play with her buddy Sky Diggins at SB WASHINGTON. Don't like the rules? Just sue the IHSAA.

PostPosted: 01/20/16 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

This is a TEAM sport. These kids need to learn that their actions affect not only themselves but those around them as well. Let's also keep in mind that it is a PRIVILEGE to play sports in high school, not a God-given right.

And the point that Ely made about extra games for scholarships...really? If they were good enough, they would have already signed somewhere or have a verbal commitment made, especially if they are seniors.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/20/16 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
myrtle wrote:

This is a TEAM sport. These kids need to learn that their actions affect not only themselves but those around them as well. Let's also keep in mind that it is a PRIVILEGE to play sports in high school, not a God-given right.

That's all well and fine for the perpetrators and I agree they should be harshly punished. This kind of action is totally unacceptable. But it's not like the kids that sat on the side and didn't participate in the melee (if there were any that did that) should be punished in a way that could effect their entire future lives. It's not exactly the same as having to run wind sprints when someone misses a free throw is it? It's easy to say from a distance, but I think if you were the kid that wasn't involved or the parent of the kid that wasn't involved, you might not take such an unequivocal stance.

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/20/16 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
myrtle wrote:

And the point that Ely made about extra games for scholarships...really? If they were good enough, they would have already signed somewhere or have a verbal commitment made, especially if they are seniors.

Exactly, pf. It's a TEAM sport. If it's one for all and all for one, then what one does affects everyone, good AND bad.

As for the schollies, I'm guessing that most of them who are any good at all play AAU ball and have been seen there. They've made their commitments, verbal or otherwise, or are being looked at. It's not JUST the high school games.

PostPosted: 01/20/16 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
But it's not like the kids that sat on the side and didn't participate in the melee (if there were any that did that) should be punished in a way that could effect their entire future lives.

Seriously? Their entire future could be all messed up due to a little over half of a high school basketball season being cancelled? I think that's just a tad extreme. Rolling Eyes

This will teach them life lessons...which, by the way, is exactly what participating in a team sport does: teaches life lessons through sport.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/20/16 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Do you know the story of how Michelle Duhart ended up at Purdue?

It was after Lin Dunn was fired and Nell Fortner and her assistants were looking at tapes of the incoming freshmen. They saw her on one of the tapes, thought that she could help them, and then went after her. Not sure exactly when this would have been, but it was probably April, May, June of her senior year.

It's never too late!

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/20/16 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
It was after Lin Dunn was fired and Nell Fortner and her assistants were looking at tapes of the incoming freshmen. They saw her on one of the tapes, thought that she could help them, and then went after her. Not sure exactly when this would have been, but it was probably April, May, June of her senior year.

It's never too late!

OK, a few things:

1. That kid would already be on tape from earlier games right?
2. That kid is also probably on a ton of AAU videos as well.
3. Recruiting has changed immensely since those days.
4. If they were watching tape in April, May or June, it would have been from a game during the season, thus go back to #1.
5. There is an open recruiting weekend in April that kids are more than able to attend. I know coaches are out big time.
6. A kid can send out those videos at any time, even today.

These kids need to know that it's not ok to have an all out brawl. For God's sakes, it's not like the kids are being booted from school. I mean, after all, aren't they there for the education, especially high school. This is an extracurricular activity.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/20/16 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

It's never too late!

OK, a few things:

4. If they were watching tape in April, May or June, it would have been from a game during the season, thus go back to #1.
5. There is an open recruiting weekend in April that kids are more than able to attend. I know coaches are out big time.

These kids need to know that it's not ok to have an all out brawl. For God's sakes, it's not like the kids are being booted from school. I mean, after all, aren't they there for the education, especially high school. This is an extracurricular activity.

From what I remember, Michelle wasn't even thinking about playing college ball until contacted by Purdue. So she wouldn't have been sending out tapes or going to AAU or recruiting weekends.

And it doesn't even have to be a player on the Pike or BD team. It could be that a coach/assistant coach is there to watch a jr. or soph. from one of those teams and sees a really good player from another team that they become interested in.

Strange things happen.

And for some reason I'm tending to lean toward the former college star to know a little something about the process.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/20/16 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

It's never too late!

OK, a few things:

From what I remember, Michelle wasn't even thinking about playing college ball until contacted by Purdue. So she wouldn't have been sending out tapes or going to AAU or recruiting weekends.

And it doesn't even have to be a player on the Pike or BD team. It could be that a coach/assistant coach is there to watch a jr. or soph. from one of those teams and sees a really good player from another team that they become interested in.

Strange things happen.

And for some reason I'm tending to lean toward the former college star to know a little something about the process.

I was involved in the "process" for nearly 2 decades as a coach and still involved in it today in a different role. I'm well aware of how it works. Seriously, this is a complete non-starter. The kids on those 2 teams have most likely played between 200-300 games already during their high school/AAU careers if they are currently seniors.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/21/16 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

It's never too late!

OK, a few things:

Strange things happen.

I was involved in the "process" for nearly 2 decades as a coach and still involved in it today in a different role. I'm well aware of how it works. Seriously, this is a complete non-starter. The kids on those 2 teams have most likely played between 200-300 games already during their high school/AAU careers if they are currently seniors.

It must suck to live in a world with no second chances. Sad

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/22/16 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
It must suck to live in a world with no second chances. Sad

Yeah, this is a life sentence...good grief. They lose a dozen games or so. It's an extracurricular activity. All underclassmen get to play again next year.

Spare me the drama. Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: