RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ND getting a couple more scorers next year
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/09/16 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Jackie Young scores 39 and breaks the 3,000 point career mark.

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/notre-dame-signee-jackie-young-eclipses-3000-careeer-points-in-indiana

I wonder whether Indiana allows play for high school teams by 6th, 7th and 8th graders to count in "high school" career statistics. Most states do; some don't. I have no idea, however, whether Young -- who sounds like a terrific talent -- played on her high school team while in grade school.

No. Had 653 as a freshman, 634 as a sophomore, 1003 as a junior (first girl in the state to score 1,000 points in a season) and 730 this year so far, not counting today. I don't know if she didn't play earlier or the points don't count, but the record is just the four years.

BTW, her FG% the four years has been 49%, 57%, 64%, 64%. She also has 1004 rebounds and 547 assists in her 97 total games.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 01/09/16 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
It will only be for a limited time, and South Carolina is losing a nice scorer after this season in Tiffany Mitchell, but next year it could look like:

PG: Bianca Cuevas: a talented and quick PG that's scoring 9 ppg this season in a reserve role. I can definitely see her scoring in dbl digits next season.

SG: Allisha Gray: transfer from UNC who led the Tarheels in her final season with them and is 2nd only in UNC program history (behind Marion Jones) in scoring the most points in her first 2 seasons as a Tarheel, scoring 1,053.

SF: Kaela Davis: transfer from GT who led the Yellow Jackets in scoring both her years there averaging 19 ppg for her 2-year career, and became the fastest in GT program history to score 1,000 pts in a career (52 gms)

PF: A'ja Wilson: leading scorer for USC currently in her sophomore season averaging 17.1 ppg: at that pace Wilson needs 19 more games to surpass 1,000 pts scored in her first 2 years in WCBB. USC currently has 16 more reg. season gms left to play.

C: Alaina Coates: 3rd-leading scorer for USC currently in her junior season averaging 13.1 ppg: Coates is currently 14 pts away from scoring 1,000 for her career...

As good as the season is going this season, I'm even more excited to see how next season plays out.....

Is the SEC going to change its rules to allow S.Car. to use 5 balls at a time next season?

And is "hey we got all these transfers" supposed to be the response for Staley's dismal performance in recruiting elite HS players?

Davis might be looked at as a gunner, Coates, Gray, and Cuevas are willing passers. Also we don't no if Davis was asked to be a go to shoot more then her teammates, KD and Gray will both give South Car 3point shooting something the team needs.
Last year Davis and Gray shot 28 and 30 percent respectively from beyond the arc, not exactly encouraging numbers if SC is looking for reliable three point shooters.
Also if SC is hoping to get ball handlers and defense which they will desperately need next year, upon looking at Davis and Gray's assists to turnovers and steals neither is the answer there either.

As far as Cuevas, she has shown nothing this year that she will be factor, quite the contrary.

Davis shot .289, and Gray shot .309 from behind the arc last season, respectively. Not that such a hawkish gatherer of stats as yourself is, would need any correcting from me. Of course, UConn's own Nurse, KLS, Chong, and Ekmark are shooting 49-140 (.350) thus far this season. Take out Chong's 12-27 and the others are shooting collectively at a .327 clip thus far. Not exactly encouraging numbers for the future perimeter offense of UConn next year, I must say....

...but I wasn't talking about 3-pt shooting %s in my above post - I was talking about scorers for USC. The title of this thread did have to do with scorers and not 3-point shooting, or so I thought. With UConn posters, it always seem a bit hard to keep up with the thread topics... Rolling Eyes

I wonder if perhaps being relied on as the leaders of offense for both Davis and Gray at Georgia Tech and North Carolina last season might have caused them some sophomoric slumps: as freshmen, Davis shot 85-246 (.346) from behind the little white arcing line, and Gray shot 64-153 (.418). So what will we get from the girls next season, when each won't have to be depended on to be the sole Herald of heroics for their team, but will play alongside many others who can fit the cloth just as readily?

Perhaps only OldFanDepot can say for all of us....

Very Happy

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/10/16 1:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Instead of trying to hijack this thread again, why not start your very own thread about SCar's transfers and 2017 prospects, 'cause it certainly doesn't belong here.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 01/10/16 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Instead of trying to hijack this thread again, why not start your very own thread about SCar's transfers and 2017 prospects, 'cause it certainly doesn't belong here.

Thanks, I should not have provoked him though. Sorry, Art.

Last edited by Oldfandepot2 on 01/10/16 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 01/10/16 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Jackie Young scores 39 and breaks the 3,000 point career mark.

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/notre-dame-signee-jackie-young-eclipses-3000-careeer-points-in-indiana
Getting back to the original intent of the thread, Jackie has a sweet jumper in her arsenal and her quickness helps her get her own shot.

Jackie scored another 38 points in another win today. She needs just 28 more points now to break the girls scoring record (and has at least 8 games left to do it).

Nice interview with Shanna Zolman, whose record she is about to break.

http://www.fox28.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=12127701

She is what this sport continues to need in order to grow. I am going to look forward to the continued matchups with ND, especially Young v Collier. There are definitely going to be some potential games for the ages. I think this 2016 class has the real ability to be something very special.

PostPosted: 01/10/16 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Young is a tremendous player. She will do some great things at ND. She really doesn't have a weakness in her offensive game.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 01/10/16 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Young sounds like she shoots a lot, wonder if she can be a team player at ND or will it be a bad fit.
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 01/10/16 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Young sounds like she shoots a lot, wonder if she can be a team player at ND or will it be a bad fit.

Have you seen her assists total. She will fit. Hey, what the hell am I doing defending a ND player!? Art, Arti I think this is your cue. Smile

Last edited by Oldfandepot2 on 01/10/16 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/10/16 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First, she shoots over 60%. She's not a volume shooter. Second, she averages 5.5 apg and coaches and observers frequently comment about how unselfish she is. Third, McGraw doesn't recruit players who don't fit.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/10/16 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clearly you haven't seen her play. And you don't need to wonder, this kid is a true team player. I have seen her play several times and she will be a tremendous player for Notre Dame, both on and off the court. She also has some excellent leadership qualities.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 01/11/16 5:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In one article her coach commented that in some games she gets a bit of a slow start because she tries too hard to get the rest of her team involved instead of just taking the game on her own shoulders.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/12/16 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another nice article about Jackie Young.

http://www.courierpress.com/sports/high-school/princetons-young-closes-in-on-scoring-record-26f7960b-7687-394e-e053-0100007f4c7f-364761771.html

Interesting that because of Ali Patberg's injury redshirt this year, ND could end up with two Indiana Miss Basketball winners playing together for four years.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/13/16 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

High school stats have little relationship to what she will face in the ACC. Saniya Chong averaged 30 points and 10 assists in her senior HS season and yet hasn't taken that forward into college. Mercedes Russell was a HSPOY and has yet to play anywhere n ear that level in college. And I think it's odd that Natalie Butler's stats as a freshman at GTwn have been pooh-poohed because they were against BE competition while Indiana high school games are being used to predict greatness for this girl.

I am constantly amazed that year after year highly touted HS players need a year or two to adjust to the next level (and in many cases never make the adjustment) and yet fans continue to expect "their girls" to be the exceptions.

Young may well end up an AA. MM is a genius at picking and developing guards. But it's silly to get giddy over what someone does against high school competition.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/13/16 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice comments from Shanna Zolman as her record is about to be broken by Jackie Young, probably tomorrow night.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/01/13/shanna-zolman-reflects-jackie-young-nears-scoring-record/78691466/

Given that Stephanie White was doing the commentary for the ND-UNC game Sunday, that Young will be playing with ND next year, and that White held the record before Zolman, I was mildly surprised this didn't get mentioned during the telecast.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/14/16 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jackie Young gets 28 and breaks the state scoring record.

"@IHSAA1: Classy message of congratulations posted by former state scoring leader Shanna Zolman. Jackie Young broke her mark. https://twitter.com/zoquisha5/status/685270909087780864"

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/15/16 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Couple articles about Young setting the record.

Evidently the opponent was more concerned about stopping her from setting the record than they were about winning the game. They fouled, they stalled, they passed up open shots just to kill more clock, they had two or three defenders chasing her trying to deny her the ball. (see picture). 18 of her 28 pts were from the free throw line.

She actually broke the record from the free throw line. Sort of like a baseball pitcher throwing at the batter rather than being the one to give up a record-breaking HR or hit.

http://www.courierpress.com/sports/high-school/princetons-young-sinks-18-of-her-28-points-from-the-line-to-become-the-girls-career-scoring-champ-29-365386791.html

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/01/14/jackie-young-relieved-state-record-quest-behind/78828700/

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/15/16 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice video from this morning's new show with Young and Zolman and from last night's game.

http://www.fox19.com/clip/12141513/jackie-young-talks-to-dan-erin-on-14news-sunrise

As a side note, evidently Bobby Wilkerson and Kent Benson from IU's 1976 undefeated men's NC team showed up at the game to watch her break the record.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/16/16 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice article about the aftermath

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/01/15/more-jackie-youngs-record-night/78847914/

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/21/16 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jackie Young tonight set the Indiana career record for boys or girls, surpassing Damon Bailey’s total of 3,134 points. Young entered the game with 3,121 and set the record on a shot at the buzzer in the first quarter.

She's now simply the highest scorer in Indiana High School basketball history.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/22/16 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some nice articles about Jackie and the record. Damon Bailey's record stood for 26 years. Bailey starred for Bob Knight at IU. It's interesting that he's now an assistant on the Butler womens basketball team.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/14623713/jackie-young-breaks-indiana-all-time-high-school-scoring-record

http://www.courierpress.com/sports/young-now-indianas-all-time-leading-scorer-boys-or-girls-29cc1bb2-aeeb-5429-e053-0100007f5532-366136311.html

CBiebel

PostPosted: 01/22/16 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
High school stats have little relationship to what she will face in the ACC. Saniya Chong averaged 30 points and 10 assists in her senior HS season and yet hasn't taken that forward into college. Mercedes Russell was a HSPOY and has yet to play anywhere n ear that level in college. And I think it's odd that Natalie Butler's stats as a freshman at GTwn have been pooh-poohed because they were against BE competition while Indiana high school games are being used to predict greatness for this girl.

I am constantly amazed that year after year highly touted HS players need a year or two to adjust to the next level (and in many cases never make the adjustment) and yet fans continue to expect "their girls" to be the exceptions.

Young may well end up an AA. MM is a genius at picking and developing guards. But it's silly to get giddy over what someone does against high school competition.

Something to factor in with this are the states we're talking about as well.
Chong was from NY and wasn't really highly ranked as a recruit, except for a national POY (which, given how low she was ranked by the various other recruiting services (75th by ESPN for example) should consider her an outlier in that honor and should also suggest that her use as an example is flawed). Russell was from Oregon (not a Basketball hotbed, either), and was 6'6". That suggests that a lot of her points just came from size.

The difference with Young is that she's from Indiana, where Basketball is practically a religion. Being the all time scoring leader in that state is really saying something, especially if it's not just from size. The previous record holder was Zolman. Before that it was Stephanie White.

Could she fall flat in college? Maybe, but considering the history of the state record holders and the coach she is going to be playing for, I'd say that is doubtful.

What is especially encouraging about Young is not just that she's the top scorer, but that her coach has said in the past that one problem he has is that sometimes she takes a while to get a lot of scoring in a game because she's working hard to get her teammates involved, which also shows she's not just getting the points by being a ball hog.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: