RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Santa Clara University beats Stanford at Maples Pavillion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 11/25/15 8:00 am    ::: Santa Clara University beats Stanford at Maples Pavillion Reply Reply with quote

Santa Clara hasn't had a winning record in the WCC since 2007-2008 and they just beat No. 10 Stanford at Stanford.

Quote:
PALO ALTO, Calif. – Playing a nationally-ranked foe on the road, Santa Clara women's basketball knocked off No. 10 Stanford 61-58 on Monday night. It was the first win for the Broncos over Stanford since an 81-65 victory in Santa Clara on Dec. 4, 1998 and the first win in Palo Alto for the Broncos since Nov. 21, 1984 when they came away with a 69-46 win

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/25/15 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford lacks the star power it's had in recent years. Still a good team, but no WNBA players on the roster, and lost a lot to graduation.

Tara VanDerveer has had a great run recruiting elite players going back to the late '90s (and even before), but she no longer has a talent edge every time her team steps on the floor. Some of the time, yes, but the loss to Santa Clara reveals that the Cardinal is vulnerable like never before.

But also, let's give credit to Tara for promoting Bay Area basketball by playing that game. A lot of Power 5 coaches want nothing to do with playing a local opponent ...

PostPosted: 11/25/15 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=86208

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
tfan

PostPosted: 11/25/15 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tara Vanderveer is 62. I suspect that it gets harder to recruit people that are 17 years old when you become AARP eligible and it gets even harder once you are eligible for social security. Although I formed that opinion maybe a decade ago, when someone pointed out that no coach over 50 had ever won an NCAA WBB title. Since then Auriemma has done it multiple times as did Gary Blair (at age 65).

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/25/15 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Tara Vanderveer is 62. I suspect that it gets harder to recruit people that are 17 years old when you become AARP eligible and it gets even harder once you are eligible for social security. Although I formed that opinion maybe a decade ago, when someone pointed out that no coach over 50 had ever won an NCAA WBB title. Since then Auriemma has done it multiple times as did Gary Blair (at age 65).

Most of these 'oldies' have some much younger staff who do a lot of the recruiting and who are more in tune with the youngers.

In Tara's case I think the reputation of the university does a lot of the recruiting. A high percentage of those who can meet the university requirements do come. So it somewhat depends on how many of the top players actually can/do meet those requirements. Then she gets a certain percentage, but also loses a few.

Last edited by myrtle on 11/25/15 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 11/25/15 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Santa Clara used to be a pretty solid team but times have been lean of late. I hope this upset means their program is on the upswing. It would be good for Bay Area women's hoops to have solid teams at all the smaller local schools. Stanford will rebound. They may not dominate as in years past, but Tara does know how to coach so I expect the Cardinal to be a competitive team come Pac 12 time.

Last edited by CalwbbFan on 11/25/15 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 11/25/15 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also think a bad loss can be a good wake up call. Will it be? Who knows?

- Amanda Gorman
dtrain34

PostPosted: 11/25/15 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Comparative scores aren't too meaningful of course, but looking at this game in the context of the Pac 12, Washington beat Santa Clara by 45.

ball4life

PostPosted: 11/27/15 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtrain34 wrote:
Comparative scores aren't too meaningful of course, but looking at this game in the context of the Pac 12, Washington beat Santa Clara by 45.

Comparative scores are a very good indicator.

auntie

PostPosted: 11/27/15 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I also think a bad loss can be a good wake up call. Will it be? Who knows?

It was for UConn last year. But in their case, any loss is a bad loss.

PostPosted: 11/27/15 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ball4life wrote:
dtrain34 wrote:

Comparative scores are a very good indicator.

Not really, unless all teams involved are constructed the same, play similar styles of play, play in the same location, etc. They aren't a very good indicator at all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: