RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2014-2015 Transfers and other departures.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/19/15 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Huge loss for Cal. Shocked

GEF34

PostPosted: 09/20/15 3:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
Howee wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Nicole Kornet, a transfer from Oklahoma, is down to Oregon State and UCLA.

https://twitter.com/BrandonClayPSB/status/641623655315861505

This one REALLY shocks AND disappoints me. Without any insider info, one can only wonder what went wrong. Nicole had really solid freshman and sophomore seasons. Then....last year? Zero pizzazz/confidence/chutzpah. Unless something (nagging injury? disciplinary problems?) unknown happened, or her practice ethic went sour, I have to blame COALE for this one....how does a kid go from starter to the bench so inexplicably? Coale is known for her development of players, but I've seen her sit on a few that puzzled me to no end.

Why would you blame Sherri? She seems pretty level headed to me, her players seem to like her and I have never heard anything negative about her from other coaches.

Sherri is one of The Best in the business, imo. It's not so much about *blaming* her as it is about her being a Contributing Cause (?). I mean, it's just ODD: Kornet progressed nicely from the start-averaged 14 min/game (played in every game) as a freshman to starting in more than half of their games, as a sophomore (again, playing in every game), then....starting in 2 games as a Junior?

And she still had *game*.... she had 21 points in the game vs. Kentucky....a game which OK lost in overtime, DUE TO A TECHNICAL CALLED ON Kornet in the final seconds (they had the lead, someone fouled her, and the ref said she 'slammed' the ball, so KY got FTs, tied the game and went on to win) I vividly remember that it was IMMEDIATELY afterward that Kornet was in Coale's doghouse. I mean, it was a HUGE game (OK probably would have made it into the top 10 at that point, had they won), and it was a stupid mistake, but....Really? And now she doesn't even go into her senior year? Questions galore. That's my impression, not a 'fact'.

There's also Felicia Gibbs....anyone remember her? I thought she looked like she had REALLY good potential, the few minutes she played....but all throughout her first year, Felicia hardly ever got in. Even in 30 pt blowouts, Gibbs rode the bench. She didn't come back. I mean, if the kid did some kinda shit to be in the doghouse, that's one thing, but there was never any talk about it.

And there's been several others, in recent years: Jenny Vining, Katherine Zander, and LSU's standout, DaShawn Harden. Maybe some for reasons beyond Coale's control, but....ALL of 'em? Kornet is just a head-scratcher.

Why does one person have to be blamed, why can't it just be it wasn't the right situation and it was a mutual understanding between the two parties (coach and player) involved.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 09/22/15 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jasmine Lumpkin transferred from Michigan State to Texas A&M and has her 1-year residency requirement waived, making her immediately available for the Aggies. (Thanks to Raoul (https://twitter.com/Raoul_000) for posting this.)

http://www.12thman.com/news/2015/9/22/WBB_0922151126.aspx

No explanation what her circumstances were.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 09/23/15 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Heather Bowe transfer from Vandy to Iowa State comes as a surprise to me.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/23/15 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:

Melanie seems to be having trouble keeping players lately.

PostPosted: 09/23/15 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jasmine Lumpkin transferred from Michigan State to Texas A&M and has her 1-year residency requirement waived, making her immediately available for the Aggies. (Thanks to Raoul (https://twitter.com/Raoul_000) for posting this.)

Her family moved to Houston area last year before the season and think someone is ill in her family mom or dad.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/24/15 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:

She's not listed on either schools roster so I think there's some speculation as to whether she's going to play anywhere at all. She was suspended from Vandy (not just the team, the school) in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't end up at a DII school finishing up eligibility.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 09/24/15 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:

She's not listed on either schools roster so I think there's some speculation as to whether she's going to play anywhere at all. She was suspended from Vandy (not just the team, the school) in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't end up at a DII school finishing up eligibility.
Hmm I wasn't aware of that. I know she got suspended for an academic violation, but she seemed to turn that around as she made the All-SEC Academic Honor Roll last season. Isn't she a senior now?

Shades

PostPosted: 09/24/15 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:

Melanie seems to be having trouble keeping players lately.

Even though the Gophers are guard-heavy, I wouldn't mind Dahlman returning home. Cool

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Durantula

PostPosted: 09/27/15 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Howee wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
Howee wrote:
Nicole Kornet, a transfer from Oklahoma, is down to Oregon State and UCLA.

https://twitter.com/BrandonClayPSB/status/641623655315861505

This one REALLY shocks AND disappoints me. Without any insider info, one can only wonder what went wrong. Nicole had really solid freshman and sophomore seasons. Then....last year? Zero pizzazz/confidence/chutzpah. Unless something (nagging injury? disciplinary problems?) unknown happened, or her practice ethic went sour, I have to blame COALE for this one....how does a kid go from starter to the bench so inexplicably? Coale is known for her development of players, but I've seen her sit on a few that puzzled me to no end.

Why would you blame Sherri? She seems pretty level headed to me, her players seem to like her and I have never heard anything negative about her from other coaches.

Sherri is one of The Best in the business, imo. It's not so much about *blaming* her as it is about her being a Contributing Cause (?). I mean, it's just ODD: Kornet progressed nicely from the start-averaged 14 min/game (played in every game) as a freshman to starting in more than half of their games, as a sophomore (again, playing in every game), then....starting in 2 games as a Junior?

And she still had *game*.... she had 21 points in the game vs. Kentucky....a game which OK lost in overtime, DUE TO A TECHNICAL CALLED ON Kornet in the final seconds (they had the lead, someone fouled her, and the ref said she 'slammed' the ball, so KY got FTs, tied the game and went on to win) I vividly remember that it was IMMEDIATELY afterward that Kornet was in Coale's doghouse. I mean, it was a HUGE game (OK probably would have made it into the top 10 at that point, had they won), and it was a stupid mistake, but....Really? And now she doesn't even go into her senior year? Questions galore. That's my impression, not a 'fact'.

There's also Felicia Gibbs....anyone remember her? I thought she looked like she had REALLY good potential, the few minutes she played....but all throughout her first year, Felicia hardly ever got in. Even in 30 pt blowouts, Gibbs rode the bench. She didn't come back. I mean, if the kid did some kinda shit to be in the doghouse, that's one thing, but there was never any talk about it.

And there's been several others, in recent years: Jenny Vining, Katherine Zander, and LSU's standout, DaShawn Harden. Maybe some for reasons beyond Coale's control, but....ALL of 'em? Kornet is just a head-scratcher.

Why does one person have to be blamed, why can't it just be it wasn't the right situation and it was a mutual understanding between the two parties (coach and player) involved.

Exactly! Sometimes it has nothing to do with a coach. Kornet's mom is a news broadcaster and blogs, and she highlights why Nicole transferred: She always wanted to go to school on the west coast and only had 1 year of eligibility left, so she didn't want to pass up a chance.

http://tracykornet.blogspot.com/2015/09/the-girls-got-guts.html

No issues with Coach Coale. Not everything is because of a coach. Kid could have gone to a big school and decided a smaller school is better, or went to a rural school and decided a city school is better, and on and on.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 09/27/15 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

allenleavell wrote:

Her family moved to Houston area last year before the season and think someone is ill in her family mom or dad.

Thank you, Allen!

Howee

PostPosted: 09/27/15 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Exactly! Sometimes it has nothing to do with a coach. Kornet's mom is a news broadcaster and blogs, and she highlights why Nicole transferred: She always wanted to go to school on the west coast and only had 1 year of eligibility left, so she didn't want to pass up a chance.

No issues with Coach Coale. Not everything is because of a coach. Kid could have gone to a big school and decided a smaller school is better, or went to a rural school and decided a city school is better, and on and on.

Thanks. Now, THIS is precisely what I was looking for: some tangible acknowledgement of the motives behind the move.

Given how this was a big Love-Fest for all concerned, WHY couldn't it have been made known, say, in an appropriate article on their website? And really, Happy Endings notwithstanding, I'd have to get it straight from Nicole's mouth to really believe it had NOTHING to do with playing time. That they checked out SEC options directly contradicts Nicole's DreamToPlayOnTheWestCoast Theory. But....Whatever! Here's to a New Season for all!

PostPosted: 09/28/15 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:

She's actually still a student at Vandy for the fall semester. She graduates in December, and then she'll come to ISU to become a grad student. That's why she's on neither roster right now. I assume she'll show up on the ISU roster as soon as she's officially an ISU student. I'm not sure if she's technically eligible to play immediately in Dec/Jan (I don't know how mid-year grad transfers work), but she'll be sitting out until the 16-17 season regardless.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/basketball-womens/2015/07/09/heather-bowe-transfers-to-iowa-state-cyclones-vanderbilt-commodores/29945887/

She could have transferred to ISU immediately instead of spending the fall semester at Vandy, which would have had the same net result: one season of eligibility in 16-17. With only one semester remaining until graduation, spending that semester at Vandy makes more sense than the headache of transferring credits. It just means she can't work out/practice/socialize with her future teammates and coaches until the end of December/beginning of January.

joetro

PostPosted: 10/27/15 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Harper transferring from Kentucky.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/28/15 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It looks like it's time to start a 15-16 thread.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 11/25/15 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was announced today that Jacqui Grant and Amarah Coleman are eligible to play effective immediately for DePaul.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/25/15 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Those are the transfers from Illinois, right? Sounds good for the others.

PostPosted: 11/26/15 2:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

She appears to contradict the "desire to play on the west coast" reason.

Quote:
We first explored transferring to the SEC, where we quickly learned a two-year transfer rule exists. (You must have two full years of undergraduate education left in order to transfer. So Nicole would have had to finish on-line, take the GRE, and transfer as a graduate student. No bueno!)

I think the number one reason for transferring has got to be playing time, and then secondarily, not starting. But that's not to say there aren't plenty of other reasons. Her playerfile doesn't show minutes, but she was a half-time starter in her sophomore year and then went back to an injury-replacement starter as a junior and it appears her minutes also went down (based on shots attempted).

2012-13 35-3 16-46
2013-14 33-17 66-180
2014-15 31-2 47-118

But I personally think that a desire to start or a desire for more playing time is a perfectly legitimate reason to transfer. But I think it is considered bad form to state it by most people, so players avoid saying it.

Last edited by tfan on 11/26/15 8:20 am; edited 2 times in total
tfan

PostPosted: 11/26/15 3:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

newkid wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Howee wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
dinkytown wrote:
Khaleann Cardon-Goudreau is going to Texas (from Vandy). No mention of her sister Audreyann who also transferred from Vandy.

http://www.texassports.com/news/2015/5/27/WBB_0527155840.aspx?path=wbball

Would one really go somewhere without the other?

The Lister twins did. Not unheard of, but probably the exception more than the rule.

The Cardon-Goudreaux kind of seemed joined at the hip, maybe because they were the only Canadians on the Vandy team or something. Well, we shall see.

Word is that Audrey-Ann is going juco for a year. Khaleann is going to petition the NCAA to play immediately at Texas becuase she only played 3 games last year at Vandy. Audrey-Ann, on the other hand, has no hope of avoiding the sit-out year. Speculation among Texas fans is that maybe Audrey-Ann joins her sister in 2016.

Audrey-Ann Caron-Goudreaux is still a Lady Commodore. Although she is now a Gulf Coast State College Lady Commodore (junior college like was rumored). Seems like junior colleges around the country have dropped the "community college" or "junior college" from their names.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 12/13/15 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Morgan Rich has landed at OU after leaving Kentucky.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/13/15 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:

Which OU? Please clarify.

PostPosted: 12/13/15 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Oklahoma

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/13/15 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Oklahoma

Thank you. There are several, including Ohio University.

PostPosted: 12/13/15 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jim Massie of Columbus Dispatch reporting that Linnae Harper, previously with Kentucky, is transferring to Ohio State. She will enroll for winter semester and be eligible to play January 2017.

PostPosted: 12/14/15 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought this was an interesting article about players leaving University of Kentucky.

http://www.kentucky.com/opinion/op-ed/article49257890.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 23 of 24

Jump to: