RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Really young teams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/18/15 1:38 pm    ::: Really young teams Reply Reply with quote

I know there are several teams in rebuilding mode, but I was struck by Loyola-Chicago's relative youth when I looked at their roster today. Of 13 players, 9 are freshmen or sophomores; 5 are freshmen, and of the sophs, one is a JUCO transfer. So is one of her junior players. Looks like Coach Swoopes has her work cut out for her. The Ramblers are picked to finish 8th in the MVC, but you never know...

Coach Swoopes also added Mahogany Green, formerly with canvas, and Kesha Watson, who came from Garden City CC, to the coaching staff, so she has a newer staff as well.

Marquette has a lot of freshmen and sophomores on its team as well and few upperclassmen. Who else?

PostPosted: 11/18/15 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal has one junior that plays. All the rest are Frosh and Sophomores.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 11/18/15 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Even more impressive was that in Sunday's game against Louisville there were no seniors on either team. Louisville played 10 women including 3 juniors, 2 sophomores and 5 frosh. Cal played only 7, 1 junior, 3 sophomores and 3 frosh. These are two ranked teams who, assuming they can avoid injuries, should get better throughout the season and could be really good next year.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 11/18/15 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford's only Seniors are Rebkell's Favorite Player, Tess Picknell, Alex Green, and Kiran Lakhian. I mean, not as young as the others, but still, a young team.

AAOK423

PostPosted: 11/19/15 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Even more impressive was that in Sunday's game against Louisville there were no seniors on either team. Louisville played 10 women including 3 juniors, 2 sophomores and 5 frosh. Cal played only 7, 1 junior, 3 sophomores and 3 frosh. These are two ranked teams who, assuming they can avoid injuries, should get better throughout the season and could be really good next year.

Did Louisville play three juniors? Jackson, Walton, and who? I count 2 juniors, 3 sophomores, and 5 freshmen. But yes, two very promising young teams. And goodness does Cal got some height!

calbearman76

PostPosted: 11/19/15 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAOK423 wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Did Louisville play three juniors? Jackson, Walton, and who? I count 2 juniors, 3 sophomores, and 5 freshmen. But yes, two very promising young teams. And goodness does Cal got some height!

My mistake. As for Cal, other than Asha Thomas, their frosh point guard, the other 6 players are 6-7. 6-4. 6-3. 6-3, 6-2 and 6-2.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 11/19/15 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Except 2 of Louisvilles players are redshirt so basically seniors.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 11/19/15 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
Stanford's only Seniors are Rebkell's Favorite Player, Tess Picknell, Alex Green, and Kiran Lakhian. I mean, not as young as the others, but still, a young team.

So basically Stanford will never have a senior on the floor except for garbage time Laughing

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/19/15 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

So basically Stanford will never have a senior on the floor except for garbage time Laughing

and maybe not even then...I mean it has to be really really truly absolutely garbage time!

I remember Clay telling us to not expect much from Tess and I hoped he was wrong. Ring one up for Clay!

- Amanda Gorman
colt13

PostPosted: 11/19/15 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wichita State, although we knew this over the summer. ESPN3 had their game on against Missouri, and they looked bad. They have 10 players listed on the roster, but only dressed 8, as 2 freshmen didn't dress. 4 JR, 2 SO, 2 FR have played this year.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 11/19/15 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

and maybe not even then...I mean it has to be really really truly absolutely garbage time!

I remember Clay telling us to not expect much from Tess and I hoped he was wrong. Ring one up for Clay!

So true Cool

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/20/15 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU has 5 freshmen but only one is getting many minutes, and boy is SHE making an impression--Savannah Felgemacher (couldn't her parents have given her a shorter first name?) is a 6'3 center who has come out of the gate on a tear. She has 17 points total and a couple of blocks in the two games that count, playing less than half of each. Now she just has to learn not to foul, which is sometimes hard for a big girl, but she looks like a great addition. I'll get to see her Monday night and will be able to form more of an impression then. She's also from Tennessee (Church Hill, in upper east TN) and if she's not playing for UT I'm glad she's playing for JMU.

PostPosted: 11/20/15 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With youth comes inconsistency. Cal played at home for the first time today and eked out a 64-58 victory over UC Riverside in a game that they trailed at halftime. Coach Gottlieb played all 9 available players but it appears the Bears will essentially go with a 6 player rotation this season. While Cal plays again Sunday their next big test is the day after Thanksgiving in Las Vegas against Texas A&M. We'll see how the youth holds up in Sin City.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 11/20/15 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oops.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/21/15 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My Mercer Teddy Bears have seven freshpersons, six sophomores, one junior, and no seniors.

PostPosted: 11/22/15 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
My Mercer Teddy Bears have seven freshpersons, six sophomores, one junior, and no seniors.
I need help how many schollie will Mercer have in 2017. Asking for a friend Wink

BamaEd

PostPosted: 11/23/15 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alabama is pretty young as well. 4 freshmen, 5 sophomores, 2 juniors (one sitting out this year) and 2 seniors. The 1 junior that is playing is a transfer. Still in the middle of the rebuild at my alma mater.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/23/15 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

allenleavell wrote:
pilight wrote:
I need help how many schollie will Mercer have in 2017. Asking for a friend Wink

No telling. There are always lots of transfers at the low end of D-I.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: