RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

SEC propaganda?...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 11/17/15 8:36 am    ::: SEC propaganda?... Reply Reply with quote

or impressive individual incompetence?

As posted in the Game Day LSU-Wake Forest thread:

During the Miss Valley St Devilettes (lol) @ Ole Miss broadcast, on 11/13, at 4:00 in the 4th, as the announcers waxed about the tough SEC sched. the Rebels will face, the p-b-p guy said ...."that schedule includes South Carolina, picked by most as the preseason #1, in the nation, and rightfully so, having played in the National Championship game last year".

Laughing

PostPosted: 11/17/15 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

anyone?

dang. tough crowd. Smile

Same reaction if it had been pam ward talking such baloney?

PostPosted: 11/17/15 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I tried to comment this morning, but the Rebkell server stuck, or crashed, or something, and ate my post.

Anyway.

Remains to be seen how good SC really is, but they're dang good. So's Tennessee, and I'm pleasantly surprised by something there that I thought was in the works but wasn't sure, the emergence of Kortney Dunbar at the 4 spot. Miss State, Ole Miss, TAMU, and even Arkansas are on the way up. Florida's an unknown quantity; the win over FSU might be a signal...or not. Other unknowns are Mizzou, Auburn, UGA (new coach) and Vandy (all those transfers). Bama is just bad, and it looks like LSU might not be too much better.

PostPosted: 11/17/15 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, I'll bite.

Last season, the SEC was a brutal conference. I don't think anyone would disagree with that. This season, however, it's a bit soon to say how tough the conference will be. Right now, it looks like Tennessee, South Carolina, then everybody else. With Ole Miss and Mississippi State losing key pieces to graduation, I can't see them being as strong as last season (although Miss St is still going to be a tough out). Lots of questions still to answer about the SEC.

Whatever comments any commentators make during these early games now are either speculating based on the past, or just trying to gin up interest in the game they are calling (or future games they may call).

If you want to know my opinion, I think the toughest conferences are going to be the B1G, Big12, SEC, and PAC12 in that order (for now). Maybe switch SEC and PAC10 (again, for now).

Matt5762

PostPosted: 11/17/15 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In half the games I've seen this season, the PBP announcers haven't even been able to remember which players started the game.

So, some guy not accurately remembering what happened in last season's Final Four hardly strikes me as especially noteworthy, particularly for a school-produced broadcast like this one.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 11/17/15 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i guess my standards are too high. Confused

ETA: I mean, we all know SCar was not ranked #1 in preseason national polls and we all know SCar did not play in the NC game. Don't we?

PostPosted: 11/17/15 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
i guess my standards are too high. Confused

ETA: I mean, we all know SCar was not ranked #1 in preseason national polls and we all know SCar did not play in the NC game. Don't we?

Yeah, I was sort of scratching my head as some folks seemed to be excusing the announcers regarding statements that were (whether from ignorance or dishonesty) objectively false.

I mean it's not hard to look up who played in the finals or when South Carolina lost or to whom.

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 11/18/15 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since we're pointing out errors by the media , someone explain the paragraph below to me , from the ESPNW article on Arizona State . Or am I just confused ? Didn't the players mentioned play on the Pan American Games team , which did NOT win a Gold medal ? The World University roster was different .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Junior forward Sophie Brunner came back to Tempe after spending much of the summer with the best college basketball players in the country, playing for USA Basketball on the World University Games team that won a gold medal. The team included Connecticut stars Breanna Stewart and Moriah Jefferson, and South Carolina's Alaina Coates and Tiffany Mitchell
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 11/18/15 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scfastpitch wrote:
Since we're pointing out errors by the media , someone explain the paragraph below to me , from the ESPNW article on Arizona State . Or am I just confused ? Didn't the players mentioned play on the Pan American Games team , which did NOT win a Gold medal ? The World University roster was different .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Junior forward Sophie Brunner came back to Tempe after spending much of the summer with the best college basketball players in the country, playing for USA Basketball on the World University Games team that won a gold medal. The team included Connecticut stars Breanna Stewart and Moriah Jefferson, and South Carolina's Alaina Coates and Tiffany Mitchell
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Shocked Maybe someone should switch out the national anthem at the next game to make a point ....Oh Canada...

CBiebel

PostPosted: 11/19/15 4:11 am    ::: Re: SEC propaganda?... Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
or impressive individual incompetence?

As posted in the Game Day LSU-Wake Forest thread:

During the Miss Valley St Devilettes (lol) @ Ole Miss broadcast, on 11/13, at 4:00 in the 4th, as the announcers waxed about the tough SEC sched. the Rebels will face, the p-b-p guy said ...."that schedule includes South Carolina, picked by most as the preseason #1, in the nation, and rightfully so, having played in the National Championship game last year".

Laughing

It's kind of like the Big 12 Football discussions. Only Oklahoma played an OOC opponent who would be considered "decent" yet they had high rankings due to being undefeated. So they argue that they should be in the NC race because their schedule is "backloaded" even though that "backloading" just means that they haven't played anyone and are just playing each other (IOW teams who haven't really been tested while being undefeated). Does that really mean that they are any good?

Phil

PostPosted: 11/20/15 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scfastpitch wrote:

I met several members of Sophie's family in Toronto - I think there were something like 50 friends and family members. She was definitely at the Pan Am games and did not win the gold.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: