RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

JMU's Precious Hall Out For the Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/02/15 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ball4life wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
There's something strange there. FB players get ACL tears every week, and every time it's the same. Player gets injured day 1, gets MRI day 2 morning, results are announced to the press day 2 afternoon. Why it would take them from Thursday to Monday to know and to tell the injured player? That's true even on weekends. Something wrong with this picture.

Heck, a lot of players have already had surgery by that time.

Something strange about your statement. Players having surgery within a week of diagnosis? No surgeon would perform ACL surgery until the player has 45 degree angle of flexibility in the joint and the swelling has went down. A new injury is immediately followed by swelling and decreased mobility and the patient goes through prehab to get the proper mobility to perform the surgery. I've been through the scenario many times and one player had that's recovering from her 2nd ACL had to wait 2 months before surgery. So your FB surgeon may be one of those non licensed malpractice doctors that we read about in the news and is to be avoided.

Not to mention the swelling has to decrease significantly.

PostPosted: 10/02/15 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
As far as football is concerned, if there was a button that if pushed would end all gambling on college football, the NCAA would hire a small army to protect it. Anyone who thinks otherwise is naive.

More like they would hire the army to destroy it. The dirty secret about sports betting is that even though it causes many problems, it is also the lifeblood of sports. This season ESPN has reversed course and actively talks about point spreads even on college sports, and without ESPN the money would be cut in half. Major college sports are all about the money, and gambling is the money.

The NFL has always been publicly against betting but they have embraced Fantasy football as if that isn't just another form of sports betting.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/02/15 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
linkster wrote:
As far as football is concerned, if there was a button that if pushed would end all gambling on college football, the NCAA would hire a small army to protect it. Anyone who thinks otherwise is naive.

More like they would hire the army to destroy it. The dirty secret about sports betting is that even though it causes many problems, it is also the lifeblood of sports. This season ESPN has reversed course and actively talks about point spreads even on college sports, and without ESPN the money would be cut in half. Major college sports are all about the money, and gambling is the money.

The NFL has always been publicly against betting but they have embraced Fantasy football as if that isn't just another form of sports betting.

I think ESPN owns a piece of one of thoae daily fantasy sites.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/03/15 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The WNBA would kill to get more people betting on its games, and the colleges would love to have lots of action on women's games. That immediately translates into more interest, which means more media coverage, and higher ratings, because people follow their money.

It's like saying college sports are amateur sports -- maybe for some people and some aspects, but the amount of money involved is too huge to ignore. Gambling is the life blood of many sports, and of course fantasy sports is gambling dressed differently.

Ain't that The Truth, Ruth?! LOL! Laughing

PostPosted: 10/04/15 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Although I'm a fan of Virginia Cavaliers, James Madison Dukes is the 2nd team that I do follow. I don't cheer for them but I admire their program. This program at JMU is very rich, standing along with Old Dominion & Virginia.

Althea Johnston went 106-33-5 in early 1900s which is remarkable. Betty Jaynes coached at JMU and became the first Executive Director of WBCA. Shelia Moorman owned 2 biggest upsets in the history of NCAA WBB tournament when it slayed No. 1 Penn State in State College and No. 2 Virginia in Charlottesville. James Madison was 3rd team to reach 1K wins in 2015. Kenny Brooks is outstanding coach. Shelia was odd but she was good as well. Bud Childers was there as well.

Prior to the season-ending injury for Precious Hall, I do not recall any outstanding players at JMU that experienced the season-ending injury except for one, Andrea Woodson who had a career-ending ailments that plagued her both legs. I remembered watching JMU's Floretta Jackson faint at the free throw line against No. 1 Texas on TV. Every player that came in JMU were tough and did do just fine. I'm trying to remember who's who at JMU that had a season-ending or career-ending injury at JMU other than Andrea & Precious.

R-

ball4life

PostPosted: 10/06/15 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ball4life wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
When did the injury occur? The JMU release didn't say.

I can't find the local news report now, but to the best of my memory it happened during a workout on either Friday or Saturday.

Happened Thursday, MRI Friday, results Sunday, announcement on Monday.

It doesn't take two days to get MRI results for a torn ACL . The coaches knew the outcome within an hour.

The extraordinary re-vote sounds to me like someone in the league office thinks they were sandbagged with the info being hidden until after the preseason poll results were announced.

Not really ballots were completed 2 weeks prior to injury. So you can throw that theory out.

PrideFan

PostPosted: 10/07/15 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It absolutely makes sense to re-vote in the Player of the Year, especially since CAA Media Day hasn't happened yet. I get why JMU fans are frustrated about the revoting for the preseason poll, as I'm sure JMU will be still voted #1, but I don't think it'll be quite the blowout they're all thinking it will be. They seem to be forgetting that they had a number of conference games that were too close for comfort, and now they're losing 20 points per game. Obviously a lot of those points will come from other players, but you still can't replace Precious Hall. Looking at their CAA schedule from last year, their first game against Towson, they only beat them by 1 point. They only beat Elon by 3 in the CAA tournament. Hofstra beat them in Virginia with no seniors on the team, and JMU only beat Hofstra by single digits in the other two games.
So basically, my opinion is that JMU will still be the preseason favorite, but many conference games will not be quite the blowout that they were last year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: