RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

A victory for amateur sports

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/30/15 3:01 pm    ::: A victory for amateur sports Reply Reply with quote

As I expected, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeal has overruled the most radical portions of the district court's O'Bannon decision and upheld the validity of amateurism rules.

The 9th Circuit affirmed the portion of the order permitting schools to pay up to the "full cost of attendance" as part of a scholarship, basically because the NCAA agrees that payments up to the cost of attendance do not affect a player's amateur status. But they struck down the $5000 cash payment because it would be contrary to being an amateur.

"But in finding that paying students cash compensation would promote
amateurism as effectively as not paying them, the district court ignored that not paying student-athletes is precisely what makes them amateurs. . . .

The difference between offering student-athletes education-related compensation and offering them cash sums untethered to educational expenses is not minor; it is a quantum leap."

Those who thought that the NCAA was going to be blown up by means of an antitrust suit were dreaming. Judge Wilkin's open hostility towards the NCAA was not likely to be shared by the Court of Appeals, the Supreme Court, or Congress.

The Full Cost of Attendance stipends are a good thing. Full scholarships ought to be full. But if you want to get paid to play sports, become a professional. Leave amateur college sports alone.

You can read the entire 73 pages here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxM4wdtZ5uI-V3BZN1NaZTl6WUk/view

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/30/15 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you believe college sports are amateur sports, I have some old subprime mortgages I'd love to talk to you about ...

PostPosted: 09/30/15 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clay's right.

Even women's basketball, which below the Top 10 level is a colossal money drag on every D1 institution, has been professionalized by both the demands on the athlete's time and simply because per Title IX it has to be "big time" as an auxiliary of the department which houses the true "pro" sports of MBB and football.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/30/15 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You can certainly make up some new term "professionalized" but of course that has nothing to do with anything.

"Big time" does not equal "professional". Nor is "number of hours invested" any test of amateurism.

As I quoted above, the court correctly stated "not paying student-athletes is precisely what makes them amateurs."

It's really that simple.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/30/15 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
You can certainly make up some new term "professionalized" but of course that has nothing to do with anything.

"Big time" does not equal "professional". Nor is "number of hours invested" any test of amateurism.

As I quoted above, the court correctly stated "not paying student-athletes is precisely what makes them amateurs."

It's really that simple.

It is that simple. Words have definitions.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/30/15 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Color me shocked that the court sided with the rich, powerful exploiters over the poor, powerless exploited

EDIT

After reading the decision, it doesn't look like a win for the NCAA. The appeals court found them in violation of the Sherman act, just like the original court did.

PostPosted: 10/02/15 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since words have definitions, I'll give you your definition of amateur and simply remind that the sporting definition of amateur comes to us from 19th Century England where country gentlemen wanted to win the gold medals, so banned professionals who would put a lot of time into their sports and also tradesmen whose work with their bodies might give them an edge.

A year-round commitment to a sport (in exchange for scholarship dollars, in no way shape or form playing out of the goodness of one's heart) that either plays in a more commercialized atmosphere than its professional counterpart (UConn, et al) or as a federally-mandated balance to the men's sports that play in an atmosphere as commercialized as its professional counterpart (Alabama, Florida, Oregon, etc.) is not Molly and Betty playing in some every-girl-plays league down at the Y.

So you can parse the verbiage and say CWBB is amateur, but it ain't pure, it ain't non-commercial and no one outside of D3 is playing for free.

As a further reality check, women who go from American college basketball to European professional leagues almost universally state the time commitment and physical demands are far less overseas. So which is more of a "job", killing yourself 20 hours a week, 40 weeks of the year for Old U or practicing three times and playing twice in Europe.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/02/15 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtrain34 wrote:
Since words have definitions, I'll give you your definition of amateur and simply remind that the sporting definition of amateur comes to us from 19th Century England where country gentlemen wanted to win the gold medals, so banned professionals who would put a lot of time into their sports and also tradesmen whose work with their bodies might give them an edge.

A year-round commitment to a sport (in exchange for scholarship dollars, in no way shape or form playing out of the goodness of one's heart) that either plays in a more commercialized atmosphere than its professional counterpart (UConn, et al) or as a federally-mandated balance to the men's sports that play in an atmosphere as commercialized as its professional counterpart (Alabama, Florida, Oregon, etc.) is not .

So you can parse the verbiage and say CWBB is amateur, but it ain't pure, it ain't non-commercial and no one outside of D3 is playing for free.

As a further reality check, women who go from American college basketball to European professional leagues almost universally state the time commitment and physical demands are far less overseas. So which is more of a "job", killing yourself 20 hours a week, 40 weeks of the year for Old U or practicing three times and playing twice in Europe.

Bobby Jones winning everything in sight as an amateur in the 20s and 30s is not "Molly and Betty playing in some every-girl-plays league down at the Y" either. He wasn't a weekend golfer. There have always been "big time" amateur sports. Time commitment has zero to do with it

High school kids work year round on their sport too. You going to tell me they're pros too?

There is only one real definition and it's really simple. You get paid, you're a pro.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/02/15 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Color me shocked that the court sided with the rich, powerful exploiters over the poor, powerless exploited

EDIT

After reading the decision, it doesn't look like a win for the NCAA. The appeals court found them in violation of the Sherman act, just like the original court did.

And it extended that finding only to eliminating limits on scholarships up to the full cost of attendance, which the NCAA has already done. No cash payments. it fully preserved the amateur/professional division.

The NCAA doesn't like some of the language, but it's a total fail for the plaintiffs.

dtrain34

PostPosted: 10/03/15 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[
Bobby Jones winning everything in sight as an amateur in the 20s and 30s is not "Molly and Betty playing in some every-girl-plays league down at the Y" either. He wasn't a weekend golfer. There have always been "big time" amateur sports. Time commitment has zero to do with it

High school kids work year round on their sport too. You going to tell me they're pros too?

There is only one real definition and it's really simple. You get paid, you're a pro.[/quote]

Scholarships ARE pay, plain and simple. Explain how they are not?

I was told by one D1 women's coach that when his players get lazy, he will turn his wrist over as if dumping fries from bubbling grease:

"You can work for me or you can work for McDonalds to pay your way through school" is the message.

There's verbiage and there's what's really going on.

Meanwhile, Bobby Jones was akin to those English gentlemen I was referring to earlier. An aristocrat who would not have liked the idea of a Tiger Woods, a mixed race son of a career soldier somehow challenging him from a smelly muni in godforsaken California. His ilk of amateurs wanted to continue playing against others of means only.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/03/15 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If college sports were truly amateur, presumably no one would bother charging admission. After all, everyone's in it for the love ...

And coaches and ADs would work for free as well.

College sports is a big business, and it is a reasonably professional one. The biggest difference between it and other businesses its size is that the majority of its employees are not compensated in cash, and some not at all.

PostPosted: 10/04/15 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's a non sequitur if I ever heard one.

Do you have to buy a ticket to high school basketball and football games?

To the high school play or band concert?

To the US Amateur golf tournament?

Oh I guess they're all professionals.
Rolling Eyes

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 10/04/15 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtrain34 wrote:
[

There is only one real definition and it's really simple. You get paid, you're a pro.

I was told by one D1 women's coach that when his players get lazy, he will turn his wrist over as if dumping fries from bubbling grease:

"You can work for me or you can work for McDonalds to pay your way through school" is the message.

Meanwhile, Bobby Jones was akin to those English gentlemen I was referring to earlier. An aristocrat who would not have liked the idea of a Tiger Woods, a mixed race son of a career soldier somehow challenging him from a smelly muni in godforsaken California. His ilk of amateurs wanted to continue playing against others of means only.[/quote]

I look forward to a reply. Should be good.

PostPosted: 10/04/15 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
dtrain34 wrote:
[

Meanwhile, Bobby Jones was akin to those English gentlemen I was referring to earlier. An aristocrat who would not have liked the idea of a Tiger Woods, a mixed race son of a career soldier somehow challenging him from a smelly muni in godforsaken California. His ilk of amateurs wanted to continue playing against others of means only.

I look forward to a reply. Should be good.[/quote]

Because amateur rules have always allowed payment of expenses, which is all a scholarship up to full cost of attendance is.

And your picture of Booby Jones as some aristocratic gentlemen is nonsense. He made it to the quarterfinals of the US Amateur at age 14, and he retired when only 28. And directly contrary to your spiel about using amateurism to avoid playing pros, he played against and beat anybody and everybody including the biggest named pros of the day throughout his short career. He proves your "aristocrat" spin to be a total fiction. You just made up that nonsense that he only wanted to play against aristocrats.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/04/15 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Of course some high schools charge admission; but you can come to all of our games for free.

Most of our concerts are free as well, though some schools charge.

Still, any comparison between athletic budgets of high schools and colleges really doesn't work. They are different kinds of operations, and though coaches and athletic directors get paid, for the most part, it's hardly enough to cover expenses. (I think we were sitting around one time, and worked out that we got about 25 cents an hour to coach high school basketball.)

PostPosted: 10/04/15 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Of course some high schools charge admission; but you can come to all of our games for free.

Most of our concerts are free as well, though some schools charge.

Still, any comparison between athletic budgets of high schools and colleges really doesn't work. They are different kinds of operations, and though coaches and athletic directors get paid, for the most part, it's hardly enough to cover expenses. (I think we were sitting around one time, and worked out that we got about 25 cents an hour to coach high school basketball.)

You claimed "if college sports were truly amateur, presumably no one would bother charging admission." But of course that didn't work, so now you move the goal posts again.

So it's on a different scale. So what? That doesn't define amateur vs pro.

And by the way, there are high schools in Texas that outdraw a lot of colleges for their football games and where coaches get paid over $100,000/year. So next you'll be telling me the 9th graders are actually professionals because their coaches get paid and their schools charge admission to their games.

By the way, are the college players getting scholarships to play soccer or lacrosse or fencing or water polo or field hockey or swimming or softball -- are they all professionals too?

What about the Division II and Division III and NAIA players whose schools have paid coaches. All professionals?

I've still never understood this crusade of yours to try and destroy amateur
college sports.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 10/05/15 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here in Indiana, I'm not sure I know of any high schools that don't charge admission for basketball and football games. There are also usually tickets that have to be purchased for the band's Christmas show or the Christmas Choir show. When I have gone to high school basketball games in other states there has pretty much been an admission charge at all of them, doesn't matter if it's in Chicago or Boston, Philadelphia or Phoenix. Man, I wish they were free.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/05/15 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would say most high school basketball and football games in California cost money to attend. Most other sports are free, though volleyball is moving up the ladder.

As for "moving the goalposts," I would think using high school athletics to make a point about college athletics would fall under the same category.

I have no particular desire to "destroy amateur sports." I do, however, dislike the hypocritical pretense that college sports is all about student-athletes and their "amateur" status. Let's just describe it as it really is, accept for that, and make decisions based on the reality of the situation, not some ideal.

For me, the biggest issue is that the adults -- who get paid very nice salaries and have much, much greater freedom of movement -- are treated much different than the students -- who are just as much a part, if not a bigger part, of a huge industry as the adults.

PostPosted: 10/05/15 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I would say most high school basketball and football games in California cost money to attend. Most other sports are free, though volleyball is moving up the ladder.

As for "moving the goalposts," I would think using high school athletics to make a point about college athletics would fall under the same category.

I have no particular desire to "destroy amateur sports." I do, however, dislike the hypocritical pretense that college sports is all about student-athletes and their "amateur" status. Let's just describe it as it really is, accept for that, and make decisions based on the reality of the situation, not some ideal.

For me, the biggest issue is that the adults -- who get paid very nice salaries and have much, much greater freedom of movement -- are treated much different than the students -- who are just as much a part, if not a bigger part, of a huge industry as the adults.

You know, most high school athletic associations have even stricter residency tests and transfer restrictions than colleges, but coaches, teachers and administrators get paid and can change jobs at will, without even the buyouts many college head coaches have.

Doesn't make the kids pros. And it's been that way as long as I can remember (which is longer than I'd like to admit).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: