RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

AAC reduces conf sched by 2 games '16-17

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 09/20/15 11:02 pm    ::: AAC reduces conf sched by 2 games '16-17 Reply Reply with quote

This should make most in the conf happy- CT gets to add more T-25 opponents and 2 AAC teams get to avoid CT.

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/fewer-aac-games-nd-sc-series-to-continue/#more-16530

UConn will be able to schedule as many as 13 individual non-league games for 2016-17 as American Athletic Conference athletic directors voted last month — off a recommendation from the coaches — that the women’s basketball slate be reduced from 18 games to 16 games.

PostPosted: 09/24/15 4:50 am    ::: Re: AAC reduces conf sched by 2 games '16-17 Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
This should make most in the conf happy- CT gets to add more T-25 opponents and 2 AAC teams get to avoid CT.

[/i]

Am I missing something? I thought that there were only 11 teams in the conference. Why wouldn't every team play UConn and why wouldn't each one want at least one shot at them, even if they get crushed?

Back in the Big East days, when there was talk about doing divisions like the Men's teams were doing, where not everyone played, the Women's coaches were adamant that they all wanted to play everyone else at least once, so they used a different system, often mentioning that they wanted to make sure UConn was on the schedule as a reason.

I do agree that with a weaker conference like the AAC, it is better to go to the 16 game conference schedule to help out in the OOC scheduling. Even the Big East, when they weren't quite as strong, did that to help out in the OOC.

beknighted

PostPosted: 09/24/15 7:29 am    ::: Re: AAC reduces conf sched by 2 games '16-17 Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
Am I missing something? I thought that there were only 11 teams in the conference. Why wouldn't every team play UConn and why wouldn't each one want at least one shot at them, even if they get crushed?

Back in the Big East days, when there was talk about doing divisions like the Men's teams were doing, where not everyone played, the Women's coaches were adamant that they all wanted to play everyone else at least once, so they used a different system, often mentioning that they wanted to make sure UConn was on the schedule as a reason.

Maybe this isn't what cth was saying, but the practical effect of the change probably is that every team plays every other team once and then plays 6 teams twice, compared to playing 8 teams twice under an 18-game schedule. That means that 4 teams (as opposed to 2) will play the Huskies just once. Given the expectation that the Huskies will win every game against AAC opponents, playing them only once is an advantage, as you start off with only one automatic loss instead of two.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: