RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Jazmine Jones commits to Louisville

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AAOK423

PostPosted: 09/09/15 3:21 pm    ::: Jazmine Jones commits to Louisville Reply Reply with quote

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2015/09/09/5-star-guard-jazmine-jones-commits-to-louisville-basketball-over-acc-offers/71955050/

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 09/09/15 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's a big get for Louisville! 17th in Blue Star, 12th in Prospects Nation, and 21st in Hoopgurlz.

AAOK423

PostPosted: 09/09/15 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes! Huge get for Louisville...she is very athletic. And now Bionca Dunham just committed as well. Good day for the Cards!

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 09/09/15 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bionca is very much under the radar. She has only been playing basketball for 3 years and was unranked by any of the big 3 ranking services.

http://www.scout.com/college/louisville/story/1583962-dunham-has-wonderful-louisville-visit

But obviously Jeff liked what he saw as he awarded her a scholarship when Louisville is running out of room. I believe there is only 1 spot left and the Cards still have more 2016's visiting this fall: Natalie Chou, Lauren Cox and Ciera Johnson.

What's also a bit strange is that even if Louisville accepts no more scholarships this year, they will still only have 2 spots next year, as they only have 1 junior on the team, but 3 sophomores, 6 freshmen, and 4 commits in the 2016 class. Jeff has a pretty unbalanced roster. Is he hoping for survival of the fittest among the freshmen this season?

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/10/15 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

His teams are always unbalanced and don't improve, but he is good at making room for any player who wanst to go there as he will just pull a scholarship from one of his lesser players Wink

PRballer

PostPosted: 09/10/15 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I imagine one of the freshmen guards will transfer after this season.

Howee

PostPosted: 09/13/15 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
His teams are always unbalanced and don't improve, but he is good at making room for any player who wanst to go there as he will just pull a scholarship from one of his lesser players Wink

Why would you just make up shit like that!? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 09/13/15 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Why don't you give your own fucking opinion Rolling Eyes

Name me a player who has improved, and don't tell me McCoughtry or Schimmel, the bad attitude and the overweight professional, who doesn't feel the need to respect her profession and come back to work in shape. Both went into college and came out with the same bad habits. I haven't talked to a coach who has coached McCoughtry that has anything positive to say about the experience.

When has he had a balanced team? He goes out and kisses ass with all the club coaches to try and get an in with players rather than targeting what his team needs. He spends cash just like the guys side which most think is illegal, remember the billboards and gives scholarships to friends of the players he wants and then takes them away if he doesn't get them, i.e. Russell. Have you ever talked to him or listened to his line? He is like a used car sales man. Every time it is an angle to what he thinks a player wants to hear. He is on everyones list for a reason but it isn't due to the success of Louisville LOL. Actually a lot of recuits see through him. Usually he gets recruits that want their ego stroked.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/13/15 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Howee wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Name me a player who has improved, and don't tell me McCoughtry or Schimmel, the bad attitude and the overweight professional, who doesn't feel the need to respect her profession and come back to work in shape. Both went into college and came out with the same bad habits. I haven't talked to a coach who has coached McCoughtry that has anything positive to say about the experience.

When has he had a balanced team? He goes out and kisses ass with all the club coaches to try and get an in with players rather than targeting what his team needs. He spends cash just like the guys side which most think is illegal, remember the billboards and gives scholarships to friends of the players he wants and then takes them away if he doesn't get them, i.e. Russell. Have you ever talked to him or listened to his line? He is like a used car sales man. Every time it is an angle to what he thinks a player wants to hear. He is on everyones list for a reason but it isn't due to the success of Louisville LOL. Actually a lot of recuits see through him. Usually he gets recruits that want their ego stroked.

I would say people wish to play for him because he's a successful coach. that he could take the "bad attitude" and the "overweight professional" and reach two championship games is impressive. Especially on "unbalanced" teams. and like his "line" is really that much different than anyone else. I suspect one of the reasons we are seeing levels of transfers is because their is a lot of butt kissing, promises being made that make people feel pretty good and then reality sets in. Walz isn't alone in that.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/13/15 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
Howee wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

I would say people wish to play for him because he's a successful coach. that he could take the "bad attitude" and the "overweight professional" and reach two championship games is impressive. Especially on "unbalanced" teams. and like his "line" is really that much different than anyone else. I suspect one of the reasons we are seeing levels of transfers is because their is a lot of butt kissing, promises being made that make people feel pretty good and then reality sets in. Walz isn't alone in that.

I think some players like to play for him because it's fun to play for him. It's wide open, lot of free lancing, you get to show off your playground skills. Some players want that. It's kept a steady stream of talent flowing to Hatchell's teams for years too (although I think Walz is a better coach). Some players don't want to play a more disciplined style at UConn or ND or Stanford or Duke.

It's somewhat self selecting but my guess is the players attracted to that style really enjoy playing for Walz. It looks like fun. It looks like it might be more fun than playing for Geno or Muffet or Kim or Tara or P or Connie Yori or Coquese Washington for example. Some players are probably attracted to Frese's cheerleader style too.

Walz is enthusiastic and personable. They have a great facility and great support. I'm not surprised he can recruit.

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 09/13/15 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Art, I completely disagree on Louisville's style of play. It is not freelancing. It is very controlled from the sideline. He literally barks out movements for players.

For the record, I'm not a fan of the methods they are willing to stoop to.

Clearly, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Where did that saying originate anyway?

ArtBest23 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
Howee wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

I think some players like to play for him because it's fun to play for him. It's wide open, lot of free lancing, you get to show off your playground skills. Some players want that. It's kept a steady stream of talent flowing to Hatchell's teams for years too (although I think Walz is a better coach). Some players don't want to play a more disciplined style at UConn or ND or Stanford or Duke.

It's somewhat self selecting but my guess is the players attracted to that style really enjoy playing for Walz. It looks like fun. It looks like it might be more fun than playing for Geno or Muffet or Kim or Tara or P or Connie Yori or Coquese Washington for example. Some players are probably attracted to Frese's cheerleader style too.

Walz is enthusiastic and personable. They have a great facility and great support. I'm not surprised he can recruit.

Durantula

PostPosted: 09/13/15 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The story about offering Mercedes Russell's friend in hopes of getting her, having her commit, then when Russell commits to Tennessee she finds out she isn't wanted so she has to pick another school, I mean there is a level of disrepect there that is not a good way to operate. I forget what school Russell's friend ended up at, but she was like nowhere near the level of Louisville.

~UK~

PostPosted: 09/13/15 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
The story about offering Mercedes Russell's friend in hopes of getting her, having her commit, then when Russell commits to Tennessee she finds out she isn't wanted so she has to pick another school, I mean there is a level of disrepect there that is not a good way to operate. I forget what school Russell's friend ended up at, but she was like nowhere near the level of Louisville.

Alexis Montgomery ended up at Seattle University

linkster

PostPosted: 09/13/15 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Howee wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

You didn't say his players don't improve, you said his teams don't improve. Two different things. He took his team to the NC game in 2009 and in 2013 and in neither year were they picked as a FF team in the preseason. That's a hell of lot better than any other team not named UConn or Notre Dame. Contrast that to Tenn who has been picked as a FF team in 4 of the last 5 years.

Howee

PostPosted: 09/13/15 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Howee wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Ummm....I just DID...about YOUR opinion. [See above: "make up shit" = Nix] Laughing

As Linkster points out, you said his TEAMS don't improve, and I will be quick to call "bullshit" on that, too. I'm NOT a Jeff fan, but I do believe in at least trying to give credit where credit is due, and he's pulled out some incredible wins, like him or not.

PostPosted: 09/13/15 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Im a Louisville fan but I can admit that I haven't always agreed with some of Walz's decisions but I think through the years the program has progressed and improved. If you want a player that improved look at Asia Taylor's college career, she had a great senior season and was drafted...she was never a superstar but she defiantly improved (was she even in the top 100 coming out of high school?)Emmonnie Henderson, has chosen to pursue shot put and discus, but is another improved player from day one to her last season. Shawnta Dyer, Courtney Walton, Antonia Slaughter, they all improved. Of course if your definition of improving is making it to the WNBA then that's a very narrow pool of people who have "improved." As for Angel and Shoni, they are both valuable members of their WNBA team, making it to the professional level is a feat in itself, and they both have done more than just make it in, they have had success. Now if you want to judge them on their character....that's a whole different story. If you want to judge every WNBA player that struggles with their weight, if you want to judge every WNBA player that is perceived as having a bad attitude then you got to go beyond just looking at Shoni and Angel, and the Louisville program for producing them and Jeff Walz for coaching them. What about KML, does Geno get blamed for her being overweight?....does the UConn program get blamed? Does Jenny Boucek get blame? Hell, does KML even get blamed? Shoni does...doesn't matter what was going on in her life, doesn't matter the situation...Louisville and Walz produced a lazy athlete, Shoni is gluttonous and unprofessional....and even though she lost the weight and started to turn her season around we still have those who will call her out before a UConn product like KML or even a Duke product like Chelsea Grey. Oh, and lets not talk about Candace Parker, from Tenn having a "bad attitude" or the numerous others that are and were perceived that way because their programs couldn't have had anything to do with it....but of course its Jeff Walz to blame for Angel and Shoni. Personally, I think that's a good blame to take because despite their struggles and issues, they will both most likely leave the WNBA with successful careers (depending on how you define success, Angel already has).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: