RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Full Cost of Attendance Stipends

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/02/15 11:50 am    ::: Full Cost of Attendance Stipends Reply Reply with quote

This fall starts the brave new world of full cost of attendance stipends. Thought it might be worthwhile to have a thread to collect information about how it's working. For example, does anyone have information about which schools are paying the stipends and how much they are paying? Is there a list anywhere? Are schools providing them across the board or are some schools trying to limit them to only certain sports or teams?

One curious item has been that football coaches at both Cincinnati and Va Tech announced systems of NFL- like fines to be paid via deduction from the stipends for various infractions like being late for practice, missing class, uniform violations, etc. The VT sanctions ranged from $20 up to $200 and there was a long list of fines posted in the locker room.

Problem with that is that NCAA rules prohibit reductions in financial aid for athletic or performance reasons. The VT AD was smart enough that within 12 hours of the fines becoming public he put the kabash on the plan and announced there would be no fines. Don't know what the status is at Cincy.

Anyhow, if you know of any stipend news or stories, please share them.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/02/15 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's. Pne list off fotball stipends:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/25275374/-16-cbs-sports-fbs-college-football-cost-of-attendance-database

linkster

PostPosted: 09/03/15 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the comments section that follows the article the numbers provided by CBS Sports are questioned.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/03/15 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The comments are nonsensical.

Somebody claims for example that Mich hasn't set a number and doesn't want to pay stipends. BS. Every school has set their cost of attendance number because the same value applies to ALL financial aid. And they have to report the numbers to the Govt. And EVERY B10 team is paying stipends.

Take the comments with a truckload of salt.

These commentors have no clue how these numbers are set. Typical.

If you have a better source of numbers, please provide them. That's why I started this thread, to provide a place to collect that information.

dtrain34

PostPosted: 09/03/15 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What I learned from the CBS list that was interesting is that my favorite team, New Mexico State, charges exactly one (1) more dollar for out of state tuition than in-state!

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/04/15 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the DC area according to the Washington Post:

"In this region, Virginia and Maryland — both members of financially flush power conferences — are giving stipends to all scholarship athletes. Georgetown, George Washington and George Mason will give the stipends only to men’s and women’s basketball players. And Howard and American, the smallest local schools in Division I, are not adding the stipends for any of their athletes, although American Athletics Director Billy Walker said his school was “exploring our options.”"

GWU and GMU are both in the A10 which voted to require all members to provided FCOA Stipends to scholarship men's and women's basketball players. But they can give them to more athletes if they choose. VCU, also and A10 member, is paying stipends to all scholarship athletes in all sports.

If you are in a sport that allows partial or split scholarships, and are playing baseball with a 1/4 scholarship, do you get 1/4 of the stipend? I assume that's what you get, but I don't know.

I have not seen what the Big East's policy is. I would think Georgetown would get some flack from its Soccer and Lacrosse players.

BTW, with respect to the comments following the CBS article which claim Michigan opposes the stipends, it is reported that Boston College was the only one of the 65 P5 schools to vote against the FCOA Stipend proposal.

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 09/04/15 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

If you are in a sport that allows partial or split scholarships, and are playing baseball with a 1/4 scholarship, do you get 1/4 of the stipend? I assume that's what you get, but I don't know.

That's how South Carolina is doing it . The stipend is prorated according to what pct. scholarship the athlete is receiving .

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/05/15 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NDSU is valuing the COA at $3400. In addition, they are bringing their men's baseball, track and golf up to the max scholarship level. If a recipient derives a partial schollie such as in track, The value of the COA is based on the percentage of the schollie.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/05/15 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Long overdue ... the details are still devilish but at least progress is being made.

PostPosted: 09/05/15 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's interesting how some fans are misreading these numbers as representing what athletic departments want to pay to buy players.

Actually these numbers are not new but are produced by financial aid departments and apply to all financial aid including various government aid programs.

The variances depend in large part on what schools already provide to students as part of their normal tuition, room and board. So, for example, if one school provides laundry service as part of room and board, and another doesn't, that cost will show up in the latter's FCOA amount, but not in the formers. Some schools provide all students with laptops or tablets as part of their tuition. Others don't but then include that in the FCOA calculation. This is one reason a lot of private schools have lower stipends, because they are already providing some of those items as part of their much higher tuition charges.

But there is a lot of wiggle room regarding what is included in a school's FCOA calculation. The restraint is that if a school artificially inflates it to make the FB coach happy it is also going to cost a lot of extra money in higher payments to non-athletes receiving financial aid.

As I understand it, Notre Dame's stipend also varies by the particular student's distance from home representing differences in travel expenses.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: