RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2015-2016 Coaches Hot Seat
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durantula

PostPosted: 08/10/15 8:54 pm    ::: 2015-2016 Coaches Hot Seat Reply Reply with quote

What coaches do you think are facing pressure to win this year or else risk not returning?

I think Niya Butts at Arizona is an obvious choice, she is in the last year of her contract at Arizona. http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/college/wildcats/arizona-basketball-butts-to-return-as-women-s-coach-byrne/article_77ef54a8-c4ff-11e4-9f2b-87b69c7e61f3.html

Virginia's Joanne Boyle is in a similar situation, last year of her contract.

You can take Missouri's Robin Pingeton off any hot seat list. She is in the process of signing an extension, and it doesn't hurt that she just signed the programs first ever McDonald's All American. http://www.columbiatribune.com/blogs/tiger_tidings/mu-in-the-process-of-finalizing-a-new-contract-for/article_9f4ed9e7-1ced-5831-b4ba-900e513bd1c3.html

Given off the court issues at Illinois and North Carolina, I think you could put Matt Bolland or Sylvia Hatchell be on the hot seat. I know Bollant was cleared of wrong doing but I still think the damage was done and recruiting will suffer which is not good when you have a rebuilding team. Hatchell is up there in age so retirement is a possibility but I get the idea that the NCAA is going to come down hard on the UNC women's program.

Last edited by Durantula on 12/28/15 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 08/10/15 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As much as I love LSU coach she is on the hot seat.

beknighted

PostPosted: 08/10/15 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And this is the last year of Hatchell's contract.

I wouldn't be entirely certain that Bolland really is cleared.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/10/15 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Balcombs buns in Nashville might be getting warm.

ridor

PostPosted: 08/11/15 3:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the NCAAs go hard on Hatchell & UNC, they need to do the same thing or much worse on Men's Basketball team & football team. According to the UNC Report:

* 54 Men's Basketball Players took the fake classes
* 26 Football players
* 2 Women's Basketball players

And the locals & supporters is now accusing the UNC Athletic Department to make Hatchell the scapegoat of the scandal - and protecting Roy Wiliams.

It is going to be very interesting year for us all. As a fan of UVA, I noticed that right after winning the national championship in 1994 with players who were not any High School All-Americans to begin with - Beginning in 1995, Sylvia Hatchell was able to get HS All-Americans to play for UNC year in and out - from 1995 to 2010. On other hand, UVA rarely gets High School All-American these days after the graduation of Wendy Palmer.

Now I know why Hatchell was able to keep bringing the blue-chip recruits to UNC - it is because of these classes that explained on why Tracy Reid, Ivory Latta, Jessica Breland, Nikki Teasley and many others chose UNC.

R-

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 08/11/15 6:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good for the supporters for putting the entire athletics program first and calling out the administration for scapegoating. is hatchell innocent, not one bit but roy needs to take his fair share of the blame. We will see what happens, ive heard arguements on both sides but I am glad the WBB fans are speaking out.

That said...i still think Hatchell is gone and WBB gets hammered once all the smoke clears, the way muvunga was released tells me they're clearing out in anticipation of crippling sanctions...will say Mbb and FB can NOT go without serious punishment, they were clearly involved.

Academic fraud must be punished with the utmost severity

Good list, Boyle just has not hit the west coast at all.

Butts is a lame duck IMHO

Agree about bollant, he will be under strict scrutiny will see what happens there.

Caldwell had an odd year, couldnt win without her ballard but then they came back and made a run...make or break for her fer sure.

the other ones I can look at are more AD Uphevals or player exedouses where its more likely coaches will jump than be fired.

not expecting a huge year BUT the UNC situiation could change everything, a power shift in a power conference is often enough to cause a lot of dominoes to fall.

PostPosted: 08/11/15 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alleva extended Caldwell's contract to 2019 in 2014 but this year publicly expressed unhappiness with the program and the lack of attendance. Most LSU fans are anticipating a very down year with the lack of recruiting and loss of Ballard. She hired Charlene Thomas-Swinson this summer and she's considered a fine recruiter, but you start wondering if the problem is Caldwell, not any assistant coaches.

If Alleva does want to replace her, that means paying her off, although she did not get a raise with the extension. LSU non-wbb fans were upset enough by her original salary. Will they go for paying big bucks to get rid of her? Four more years. That's a long time, either way.

ETA: She also lost her head of basketball operators, Jon Silver, to Vermont this summer. Jonathan was a good friend of mine at UCLA and he'll do well.

Durantula

PostPosted: 08/11/15 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One coach that may be on the hot seat is Virginia Tech's Dennis Wolff. He may be going into the last year of his deal.

One coach who may not be on the hot seat is Florida's Amanda Butler. Signed a contract extension through 2019 and also overhauled her staff. If its a low buy out maybe she could be replaced, but on the surface she seems a little safer than the coaches who's contract is up next year.

mildred

PostPosted: 08/11/15 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Add Purdue's Versyp to the list.
Attendance is plummeting. Fans have abandoned the program. She does have her best recruiting class but I'm not convinced they can push the program forward. Shouldn't she have to reach the postseason to save her job after last year?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/12/15 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mildred wrote:
Attendance is plummeting. Fans have abandoned the program. She does have her best recruiting class but I'm not convinced they can push the program forward. Shouldn't she have to reach the postseason to save her job after last year?

She ought to be out if they don't make the NCAAs. I'd like to see her out regardless.

It is the best recruiting class she has had. I hope the talent isn't wasted by having Versyp "coach" them for four years. She has still never had a player she has recruited be selected in the WNBA draft. It is a pathetic track record.

Last edited by PUmatty on 08/12/15 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/12/15 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
mildred wrote:

She ought to be out if they don't make the NCAAs. I'd like to see her out regardless.

It is the best recruiting class they have had. I hope the talent is wasted by having Versyp "coach" them for four years. She has still never had a player she has recruited be selected in the WNBA draft. It is a pathetic track record.

Question: does the Purdue AD even CARE? He doesn't seem to.

PostPosted: 08/13/15 12:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Question about Purdue. And maybe it's somewhat similar to the McCallie comparisons at Duke, and just an honest question.

I was looking at her coaching record and it's not THAT terrible. It's not like Purdue is an abysmal program (7 NCAAs in 9 years and two Elite Eight appearances, granted those were Curry's recruits). Obviously, Boilermaker women's basketball fans are used to more sustained success, despite the relative high turnover of coaches for a top women's program - Dunn, Fortner, Peck, Curry, etc. Despite the coaching turnover, they've enjoyed Final Four appearances under three different coaches and of course the national championship.

She's won nearly 65% of her games, which is fine. It is striking to me that in her decade tenure Purdue has never won the Big Ten regular season title.

Some thoughts/questions

-Who is in line to coach this team if it's not Versyp? Goestenkors? Seems like she's been out of the college game and is enjoying this new phase in her life and coaching career. Obvious ties to Purdue aside, would she want to get back into recruiting? Would Niele Ivey or Carol Owens ever be interested? I imagine Stephanie White would be ideal but she seems to be happy with the Fever.

-Maybe it is the coaching turnover and the relative drama the women's program has had (under Morgan Burke) that has led the athletic administration to covet a coach who keep the program "out of trouble" or in good academic standing and actually stay in West Lafayette? Seems like Versyp is in it for the longhaul regardless of success/wins.

I imagine she can't have a second consecutive 11-win season, otherwise that seat will be very hot, but I see why an administration like Purdue might be putting up with a 20-25 win, middle of the conference program with a shot at the NCAAs every year.

Purdue is another one of those programs that has certainly fallen off the top of the top of the women's game (Duke, LSU come to mind as other examples) and when they are winning and successful, it seems to transcend the sport overall.

BallState1984

PostPosted: 08/13/15 6:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mildred wrote:

Put a lot of blame on Morgan Burke. He has pissed off a lot of fans and JPC members with his Notre Dame penis envy. Even the Journal and Courier has gotten on the bandwagon when they ran a series of articles on the inflated ticket prices and how the average Joe, let alone the Average Joe and his family, are priced out of Purdue events. Even Fever tickets are cheaper than some Purdue games. Burke also has forgotten the majority of fans and JPC members are middle class working stiffs who don't have an extra million lying around to give.

PostPosted: 08/13/15 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Question about Purdue. And maybe it's somewhat similar to the McCallie comparisons at Duke, and just an honest question.

I was looking at her coaching record and it's not THAT terrible. It's not like Purdue is an abysmal program (7 NCAAs in 9 years and two Elite Eight appearances, granted those were Curry's recruits). Obviously, Boilermaker women's basketball fans are used to more sustained success, despite the relative high turnover of coaches for a top women's program - Dunn, Fortner, Peck, Curry, etc. Despite the coaching turnover, they've enjoyed Final Four appearances under three different coaches and of course the national championship.

She's won nearly 65% of her games, which is fine. It is striking to me that in her decade tenure Purdue has never won the Big Ten regular season title.

Some thoughts/questions

-Who is in line to coach this team if it's not Versyp? Goestenkors? Seems like she's been out of the college game and is enjoying this new phase in her life and coaching career. Obvious ties to Purdue aside, would she want to get back into recruiting? Would Niele Ivey or Carol Owens ever be interested? I imagine Stephanie White would be ideal but she seems to be happy with the Fever.

-Maybe it is the coaching turnover and the relative drama the women's program has had (under Morgan Burke) that has led the athletic administration to covet a coach who keep the program "out of trouble" or in good academic standing and actually stay in West Lafayette? Seems like Versyp is in it for the longhaul regardless of success/wins.

I imagine she can't have a second consecutive 11-win season, otherwise that seat will be very hot, but I see why an administration like Purdue might be putting up with a 20-25 win, middle of the conference program with a shot at the NCAAs every year.

Purdue is another one of those programs that has certainly fallen off the top of the top of the women's game (Duke, LSU come to mind as other examples) and when they are winning and successful, it seems to transcend the sport overall.

I have no strong opinion on Versyp either, but these are very good points.

And as with McCallie, the question has to be this: Who out there will definitely be better? Versyp has set a pretty high standard in a tough league.

So is she like McCallie, in that people don't like her?

PostPosted: 08/13/15 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will say this. OSU was not satisfied with 6 straight Bib Ten Titles. I was shocked when the fired Foster. His NCAA disappoints led my fans to waiver their support. I would have not gone back if he came back. I also think Smith and Willis were aware of the talent in the state and had to make the move to get the recruiting class. As a fan, there is only so much patiences for the administration to make a move.

Michael

PostPosted: 08/14/15 8:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
PRballer wrote:

Some thoughts/questions

I have no strong opinion on Versyp either, but these are very good points.

And as with McCallie, the question has to be this: Who out there will definitely be better? Versyp has set a pretty high standard in a tough league.

So is she like McCallie, in that people don't like her?

Look at her results linearly and you can see a steady decline which has gotten worse once Curry's recruits graduated. In the last 6 years 0 sweet 16s, in her 9 years 0 Big Ten titles, continued watering down of the pre conference schedule to pad the win total followed by more and more losses in the conference season. Mediocre to poor recruiting most seasons. Very poor to non-existent player development. (Her best player development being taking an AA SF and "developing her" into a third team All Big Ten selection in a weakening conference. Only 2 non-NCAA seasons in the last 25+ years of Purdue's history. 0-8 against Notre Dame. 1-7 in the ACC challenge games. Beaten at home twice in the NCAA's by lower seeds. Post game press conferences where she always finds some player or players to throw under the bus, not once has she admitted to being at any fault for the failure Purdue WCBB has become. Its always the players faults for not doing what she tells them, or not executing, or being lazy, or bad luck that player X had a hang nail and it threw the whole team out of synch. She was Purdue's first Ms Basketball as a recruit, and on the LAST losing team in Purdue's history, until last year, when she coached the first losing team in 30 years. It was said 5 years ago she would take the program back to the level she found it in as a freshman, the writing was on the wall. She has managed it in just 9 years.

PostPosted: 08/14/15 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the rundown ... so why is she still around? Some here are saying that Purdue just doesn't care about women's basketball, which is sadly too often the case, but isn't Versyp relatively well paid? I can understand Arizona sticking with Niya Butts because they don't care and don't spend much money, but it seems that not caring would also imply not spending money?

Or does Versyp do well with the alumni and administration?

PostPosted: 08/14/15 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Thanks for the rundown ... so why is she still around? Some here are saying that Purdue just doesn't care about women's basketball, which is sadly too often the case, but isn't Versyp relatively well paid? I can understand Arizona sticking with Niya Butts because they don't care and don't spend much money, but it seems that not caring would also imply not spending money?

Or does Versyp do well with the alumni and administration?

Versyp has a personality like course sandpaper and does not ingratiate herself well to alumni or boosters. She is still very well paid, with her compensation package well over 600k, and just got a raise with an extension this last spring. Beyond that, I have no clue why she is still there. The AD is close to retirement and I think he is just letting her ride out his last three years and let her be the next guys problem. Attendance has been steadily falling since she got here and sales for season tickets next year are WAY WAY down. These are long time fans that will not be easy to get back. Purdue could easily be down to less then 1000 actual attendance for games this next year, once you throw out the no shows who buy tickets just to increase their JPC points and the student ticket packages that never actually go to women's games. Sold tickets will still be above 4k I would guess on the strength of those two groups, but it is a far far fall from the 6-7k of butts in the seats just 12-15 years ago. Three more years of Versyp will very effectively destroy the program and make it the worst in the conference, and with IU in the Big Ten that is saying a lot.

PostPosted: 08/14/15 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is statistic that I think damns Versyp the most:

She has not had a single player she recruited be drafted. Since Curry's final recruit was drafted (Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton), no Purdue player has been drafted, including HS AAs Sam Osterello, Whitney Bays, and Drey Mingo. Something like 75 other teams have seen players drafted.

In that same time she has also not made a Sweet 16.

PRballer

PostPosted: 08/14/15 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I met Versyp when she was the coach at Maine and it seemed like her players liked her. She's not running them off at Purdue at least? Yes, she's boring and not media-genic, but it sounds like she's not mean.

McCallie, by all accounts, sounds like a bat sh!t crazy a$$hole.

Sorry, I said I wouldn't compare...

Michael

PostPosted: 08/14/15 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
I met Versyp when she was the coach at Maine and it seemed like her players liked her. She's not running them off at Purdue at least? Yes, she's boring and not media-genic, but it sounds like she's not mean.

McCaullie still has Duke competitive, Purdue finished tied for last in a weak Big Ten in Versyp's 9th year. McCaullie and Versyp have something in common though, they were back to back coaches of the Maine Black Bears before each jumped to jobs in the Big Ten.

PostPosted: 08/14/15 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maryland assistant resigns in light of sex abuse allegation.
http://www.hoopfeed.com/content/2015/08/14/maryland-assistant-resigns-in-light-of-sex-abuse-allegation/

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/15/15 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
PRballer wrote:

McCaullie still has Duke competitive, Purdue finished tied for last in a weak Big Ten in Versyp's 9th year. McCaullie and Versyp have something in common though, they were back to back coaches of the Maine Black Bears before each jumped to jobs in the Big Ten.

McCallie still gets players at Duke on the strength of Duke's academic reputation, I suspect. Plus she does have good assistants, when she doesn't drive them away--although what she has done with or to Al Brown is a mystery still. Versyp apparently does not have that luxury, despite the fact that Purdue is a good school; it doesn't have the academic cachet that Duke has.

PostPosted: 10/04/15 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You can take Missouri's coach Robin Pingeton off any potential hot seat list, she just signed an extension that goes through the 2019-2020 season.

In 5 years she has a .500 record of 79-79 but has three consecutive winning seasons for the first time at Mizzou since 1990

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-missouri/article37376028.html#storylink=cpy

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/04/15 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any of you who are still sneering at Holly Warlick can get over it too. She also just got an extension and a raise.
http://www.wbir.com/story/sports/2015/10/02/lady-vols-coach-holly-warlick-gets-extension-raise/73203046/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: