RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Joyner Holmes down to three schools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 07/30/15 6:06 pm    ::: Joyner Holmes down to three schools Reply Reply with quote

Joyner Holmes lists her final three as Texas, Tennessee and Notre Dame (http://www.aikenstandard.com/article/20150729/AIK03/150729332/1022/AIK03/top-recruits-lead-cy-fair-to-semifinals). There was a general belief that Holmes would not leave the state of Texas, so some may view this as good news for the Longhorns! But as an Irish fan, I am (pleasantly) surprised that we are being considered. SheBron (as some people are calling her) is a ridiculous athlete. Check out these highlights from July 16th in Nashville: http://passthaball.com/2015/07/16/joyner-holmes-just-ridiculous-just-too-much/ I saw her in the U17's last summer and her athleticism was off the charts.

Tennessee probably has the greatest need, as they are starving for posts. But ND had only perimeter players last class (Marina Mabrey, Arike Ogunbowale and Ali Patberg) and just a 3 (Jackie Young) and a 4 (Erin Boley) so far this class, so Joyner would be very welcome in South Bend (or anywhere actually). I still fear that Texas leads, as she just camped there recently and Texas has been recruiting her for a long time. But Texas has also been suffering from some decommitments lately, so maybe the recruiting magic of Aston is wearing off a bit.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 07/30/15 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Still believe, no real hard facts mind you, that Lauren Cox is destined to live her collegiate career under the shadows of the Golden Dome.

PostPosted: 07/30/15 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Still believe, no real hard facts mind you, that Lauren Cox is destined to live her collegiate career under the shadows of the Golden Dome.

Is that a fear or a real feeling? Smile Can you imagine if ND got both? That is the stuff of Irish dreams! Then I think Muffet could stop the UConn streak of NC's.

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 07/30/15 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee has a great shot at getting her.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 07/30/15 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:
Tennessee has a great shot at getting her.

Yup
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 07/31/15 7:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

Is that a fear or a real feeling? Smile Can you imagine if ND got both? That is the stuff of Irish dreams! Then I think Muffet could stop the UConn streak of NC's.

Just being pragmatic. It is either there or home besides UCONN never worries about anyone. Never heard a Husky fan say if we get Cox then we beat ND, The Vols, Baylor. Naw, it will be more fun if you got her. Turner, Reimer Cox Allen, Patberg, Young and Arike against Tuck, Katie Lou, Collier, Butler, Boykin, Nurse, Williams, Ekmark and Dangerfield. Muffet v Geno. Ali v Frazier. Besides it will give Geno another incentive, albeit a rather small one to stay another five to ten years just to put another whoop'n on the red head. Wink

Last edited by Oldfandepot2 on 07/31/15 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 07/31/15 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No way Holmes and Cox go to same school, same reason they don't play on the same club. I would say Texas still leads, the other 2 fillers with Tenn ahead of ND, who I doubt will get her services due to past experiences for Holmes;) But she did rise above Cox this summer, no question.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 07/31/15 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
No way Holmes and Cox go to same school, same reason they don't play on the same club. I would say Texas still leads, the other 2 fillers with Tenn ahead of ND, who I doubt will get her services due to past experiences for Holmes;) But she did rise above Cox this summer, no question.

How did Holmes do that, rise above Cox. Just curious.

PostPosted: 07/31/15 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

Holmes had a very impressive club season, so there is some doubt about whether Cox (who missed games by playing with the U19 team) is still the top player. She lost her chance to impress here against lesser competition while Holmes shined on the circuit (although this past week in Augusta wasn't Joyner's best performance).

Other risers are Jackie Young and little Dana Evans (both from Indiana), and Sabrina Ionescu was her typical steady, amazing self. Of course Megan Walker was Megan Walker. Whatever team gets her will be extremely happy!

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/31/15 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
with Tenn ahead of ND, who I doubt will get her services due to past experiences for Holmes.

To what "past experiences" are you referring?

I think if she was so set on TX she would gave already committed and Didi Richards would not have decommitted.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 07/31/15 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

Holmes had a very impressive club season, so there is some doubt about whether Cox (who missed games by playing with the U19 team) is still the top player. She lost her chance to impress here against lesser competition while Holmes shined on the circuit (although this past week in Augusta wasn't Joyner's best performance).

Other risers are Jackie Young and little Dana Evans (both from Indiana), and Sabrina Ionescu was her typical steady, amazing self. Of course Megan Walker was Megan Walker. Whatever team gets her will be extremely happy!

I have no vested interest in Cox but with that said you can not penalize the girl for being absent from the circuit to play for her country. For the limited minutes that Dawn played the second youngest player on the team, she acquitted her self well against older and more experienced players in the rough and tumble world of international play. She left for Russia as the consensus number one player in country and showed nothing that would detract from that perception when she returned.

PostPosted: 07/31/15 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It puzzles me that the girls from Texas and the Southwest show Gary Blair no or little love. He is without a doubt one of the best if not the best X's and O's. coaches in the game ( just ask Muffet and Geno). He seldom gets the elite recruit recently. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to why.

Last edited by Oldfandepot2 on 07/31/15 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Durantula

PostPosted: 07/31/15 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
It puzzles me that the girls from Texas and the Southwest show Gary Blair no or little love. He is wothout a doubt one of the best if not the best X's and O's. coaches in the game ( just ask Muffet and Geno). He seldom gets the elite recruit recently. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to why.

I think in recruiting a lot of it is how a recruit relates to a coach. Maybe he isn't as active in recruiting as some younger coaches. Now assistant coaches help but I think he's lost some good ones in recent years, and it will take time for the new assistants to learn about who they need to target that will fit Gary's system. Also, maybe some recruits think he will retire before their career is over? Just a thought, not really sure of one big reason.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 08/01/15 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OldFan you refer to playing against older players, that is not true. The Spanish team was basically the same as U17 and the Russians had the youngest average age which included their starters.

Holmes outplayed from April on which included the time Cox was playing on the club circuit. Young is a for sure riser.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 08/01/15 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
OldFan you refer to playing against older players, that is not true. The Spanish team was basically the same as U17 and the Russians had the youngest average age which included their starters.

Holmes outplayed from April on which included the time Cox was playing on the club circuit. Young is a for sure riser.

Only Vadeeva and Zavialova (who hardly played if at all) on the Russian team were younger than Cox and not by much. Every single player on Spain's team is older than Cox some by almost two years, the majority over a year so as I stated she did play against more experienced players in international play.

PostPosted: 08/01/15 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
with Tenn ahead of ND, who I doubt will get her services due to past experiences for Holmes.

To what "past experiences" are you referring?

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/02/15 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why do recruits really chose a certain school or put them on their list?

According to a quick poll of people on the AAU circuit:

Close to home
Play immediately
Who is on team/or who they don't want to play with (e.g. if they played with someone in HS, club or USA they don't like then they will not go to the same school)
Who strokes their ego or people around them
Flavor of the moment as far as lists go (ND is said to be the flavor of the moment, Uconn was but I guess Geno scares some of those as he is so direct, Louisville kisses butts the best)

There are those who actually choose a coach that will push them i.e. Uconn but there are very few of those players. There are those who choose as they want the best education but they were also considered on the lower end.

themick1952

PostPosted: 08/02/15 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

Close to home
Play immediately
Who is on team/or who they don't want to play with (e.g. if they played with someone in HS, club or USA they don't like then they will not go to the same school)
Flavor of the moment as far as lists go (ND is said to be the flavor of the moment, Uconn was but I guess Geno scares some of those as he is so direct, Louisville kisses butts the best)

There are those who actually choose a coach that will push them i.e. Uconn but there are very few of those players. There are those who choose as they want the best education but they were also considered on the lower end.

Where is conference affiliation on that list?

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 08/02/15 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

themick1952 wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Close to home
Play immediately

Where is conference affiliation on that list?

Looks like the most successful program in WCBB bucks those parameters. The closest top 10 recruit in the last few years has been Breanna Stewart about 275 miles away. Everyone else has been well over 500 miles, most a thousand and almost all don't start right away.

PostPosted: 08/03/15 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You are assuming that all recruits are top recruits and that they really think they would not play on the other side. What recruits say to reporters and what they actually believe is mutually exclusive.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: