RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2015-16 Schedules
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/02/15 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lvf08 wrote:
Gonzaga non-conference

11/06/15 vs. Carroll (Mont.) ~ Spokane, Wash. TBA
11/13/15 vs. Air Force Spokane, Wash TBA
11/15/15 vs. Stanford Spokane, Wash. TBA
11/19/15 vs. Eastern Washington Spokane, Wash. TBA
Hall of Fame Challenge
11/22/15 vs. West Virginia Spokane, Wash. 2:00 p.m. PT
11/23/15 vs. Grand Canyon Spokane, Wash. 6:00 p.m. PT
11/24/15 vs. USC Spokane, Wash. 6:00 p.m. PT
11/29/15 vs. North Carolina Uncasville, Conn. TBA
12/03/15 vs. Wyoming Spokane, Wash. TBA
12/06/15 vs. Montana State Spokane, Wash. TBA
12/08/15 at Washington State Pullman, Wash. TBA
12/11/15 at Dayton Dayton, Ohio TBA
12/13/15 at Colgate Hamilton, N.Y. TBA

http://www.gozags.com/sports/w-baskbl/sched/gonz-w-baskbl-sched.html

I like that Fortier is continuing the strong scheduling streak Graves started. Having Stanford and the Women of Troy in the Lilac City should bring out big crowds.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/03/15 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn's OOC (10 of 11 games)

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/080315aaa.html

The Huskies will open the 2015-16 regular season in Columbus, Ohio on Monday, November 16 with a showdown with Ohio State. The Buckeyes posted a 24-11 record last year, including a 13-5 mark in Big 10 play. OSU finished the season ranked No. 26 in the Ratings Percentage Index (RPI) and advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

UConn returns to the Nutmeg State for its home opener on Monday, November 23 against Kansas State.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/conn/sports/w-baskbl/auto_pdf/2015-16/schedule/schedule.pdf

PostPosted: 08/04/15 1:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When I saw the UConn schedule, I immediately laughed so hard like this dude on that link below. Yes, things are going the way I predicted that it would happen like this!!

Last year, UConn played 5 ranked teams outside of AAC. This year? Only 4 non-AAC ranked teams will play UConn. I bet you that next year, Notre Dame & South Carolina will decline to continue the series and turned their backs on Geno & UConn! Mark my words on that!

Cheers,

R-

http://i.imgur.com/mGgoeaO.gif

ripleydc

PostPosted: 08/04/15 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No Maggie Dixon game?

Is that event folding? Sad

beknighted

PostPosted: 08/04/15 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
No Maggie Dixon game?

I'm not sure of the current status, but the story I saw on this board was that the prospective opponent pulled out and that Maryland was likely stepping in. (Points for Brenda if this is true.)

ripleydc

PostPosted: 08/04/15 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
ripleydc wrote:
No Maggie Dixon game?

I'm not sure of the current status, but the story I saw on this board was that the prospective opponent pulled out and that Maryland was likely stepping in. (Points for Brenda if this is true.)

I know the thread you're referring to. But I took it to mean that MD would play UConn in place of Kentucky. But, with the UConn OOC schedule now released, there's no mention of this. Can someone help clear up the confusion?

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/04/15 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tara has almost 1000 wins in her career, she is preparing to retire, my guess she gets past 1000 or Pats record and she is done, she will avoid Uconn until that happens, unless she is unfortunate enough to get them in the post season. Always nice to remember your last game against Geno as a win Wink

lvf08

PostPosted: 08/04/15 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Flordia State non-conference

Monday Nov. 16 at Florida
Thursday Nov. 19 TULANE
Sunday Nov. 22 UAB
Tuesday Nov. 24 UNF
Friday Nov. 27 vs. LIU-Brooklyn, Sam Houston State, Texas Southern
Saturday Nov. 28 vs. LIU-Brooklyn, Sam Houston State, Texas Southern
Thursday Dec. 3 RUTGERS*
Sunday Dec. 6 TEMPLE
Friday Dec. 11 vs. Connecticut (Uncasville, Conn.)^
Tuesday Dec. 15 MERCER
Saturday Dec. 19 MURRAY STATE
Monday Dec. 21 at Arizona State
Monday Dec. 28 JACKSONVILLE

*ACC/B1G Challenge
^Hall of Fame Women’s Holiday Showcase at the Mohegan Sun

http://www.seminoles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=32900&ATCLID=210245788

dtsnms

PostPosted: 08/04/15 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
beknighted wrote:
ripleydc wrote:
No Maggie Dixon game?

I know the thread you're referring to. But I took it to mean that MD would play UConn in place of Kentucky. But, with the UConn OOC schedule now released, there's no mention of this. Can someone help clear up the confusion?

Still trying to make it work.

My email from UConn mentions "One game TBA"

ripleydc

PostPosted: 08/04/15 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Still trying to make it work.

My email from UConn mentions "One game TBA"

I understand, thanks.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 08/04/15 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
When I saw the UConn schedule, I immediately laughed so hard like this dude on that link below. Yes, things are going the way I predicted that it would happen like this!!

Last year, UConn played 5 ranked teams outside of AAC. This year? Only 4 non-AAC ranked teams will play UConn. I bet you that next year, Notre Dame & South Carolina will decline to continue the series and turned their backs on Geno & UConn! Mark my words on that!

Cheers,

R-

Excuse me? As a Stanford fan, the schedule that UConn has put together demands a certain element of respect.

Ohio State (#26)
Kansas State (#64)
Nebraska (#41)
Chattanooga (#22, but beat Stanford and Tennessee last season)
DePaul (Big East Champion, #3Cool
University of Notre Dame (#2)
Florida State (#7)
Louisiana State (#55)
South Carolina (#4)

That's a hell of a schedule. I'd like to see any top program match that non conference schedule.

Durantula

PostPosted: 08/04/15 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
ridor wrote:

Cheers,

R-

Excuse me? As a Stanford fan, the schedule that UConn has put together demands a certain element of respect.

Ohio State (#26)
Kansas State (#64)
Nebraska (#41)
Florida State (#7)
Louisiana State (#55)
South Carolina (#4)

That's a hell of a schedule. I'd like to see any top program match that non conference schedule.

I mean there's no real reason for other teams to have such daunting OOC schedules. UConn is in the rare situation in that they are the best team in the country but their conference SOS/RPI numbers are very bad, so UConn has to schedule super hard in the non-conference. Other teams have more challenging conferences so they can't load up with challenging non conference games too. You need some guarantee games and every team wants some games where they can go deep in their bench and get their reserves valuable minutes. UConn's schedule is flipped, their easy games are in conference, most teams don't have that luxury.

ucbart

PostPosted: 08/05/15 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
ridor wrote:

Cheers,

R-

Ohio State (#26)
Kansas State (#64)
Nebraska (#41)
Florida State (#7)
Louisiana State (#55)
South Carolina (#4)

I mean there's no real reason for other teams to have such daunting OOC schedules. UConn is in the rare situation in that they are the best team in the country but their conference SOS/RPI numbers are very bad, so UConn has to schedule super hard in the non-conference. Other teams have more challenging conferences so they can't load up with challenging non conference games too. You need some guarantee games and every team wants some games where they can go deep in their bench and get their reserves valuable minutes. UConn's schedule is flipped, their easy games are in conference, most teams don't have that luxury.

I don't think that's a luxury as much as it is a circumstance. I hope the AAC gets better, and I'm sure it gradually will. I saw some good things from East Carolina, Tulane and USF has been a top-30 type program for a while. Baby steps is all we can ask for I guess.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 08/05/15 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Terps vs Huskies

Monday, December 28, 8:30 PM at MSG

Last edited by ripleydc on 08/05/15 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/05/15 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Durantula wrote:
ridor wrote:

Cheers,

R-

Ohio State (#26)
Kansas State (#64)
Nebraska (#41)
Florida State (#7)
Louisiana State (#55)
South Carolina (#4)

I don't think that's a luxury as much as it is a circumstance. I hope the AAC gets better, and I'm sure it gradually will. I saw some good things from East Carolina, Tulane and USF has been a top-30 type program for a while. Baby steps is all we can ask for I guess.

I don't see it. Just don't. UConn and USF are the *only* teams in that conference showing any quality, and UConn is way out in front of USF. I think JMU could easily take East Carolina or Tulane, or probably any other school in the AAC, for that matter. UConn seriously needs to be out of that conference if they want to maintain their standing post-Geno. The AAC will remain a mid-major conference. The addition of one elite program will not improve nine hopelessly mid-major programs and one that's pretty decent.

PostPosted: 08/05/15 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

I think you overstate the depth of the P5 conferences. While the AAC is certainly a very weak overall conference, the elite teams in P5 conferences have at least 60% of their conference games against uncompetitive opponents. Plenty of opportunities to give end-of-benchers minutes.

While the other elite programs certainly have "more challenging" in-conference schedules, that is only true in a relative sense. The need for some "patsy" games is more important to the mid-range teams in the P5. They gain a decent RPI/SOS merely by being in a P5 and need to pad their W/L to get over 20 wins.

One way to encourage more top level OOC games would be for the NCAA selection committee to announce that they will be using records against top 10 competition as the primary tool in awarding 1-4 seeds. The myth that there are 25 top level teams in wcbb needs to be put to bed.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 08/05/15 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=29700&ATCLID=210251023

Maryland and UConn agree to 3-year deal:

As posted above, they will play this season on Dec 28th at MSG in the Maggie Dixon; then next season they will meet in College Park; and the following year in Storrs.

beknighted

PostPosted: 08/05/15 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really don't think there's any question about the difference in the overall quality level between the AAC and the major conferences.

Here's a breakdown in RPI terms from 2015:

AAC - 1 top 10, 1 top 25, 3 top 50, 4 top 100, 4 below 200 (out of 11)
A10 - 0 top 10, 2 top 25, 3 top 50, 6 top 100, 1 below 200 (out of 14)
ACC - 3 top 10, 5 top 25, 7 top 50, 10 top 100, 0 below 200 (out of 15)
B12 - 1 top 10, 3 top 25, 4 top 50, 8 top 100, 0 below 200 (out of 10)
B1G - 2 top 10, 2 top 25, 7 top 50, 9 top 100, 0 below 200 (out of 14)
P12 - 0 top 10, 4 top 25, 5 top 50, 8 top 100, 2 below 200 (out of 12)
SEC - 3 top 10, 3 top 25, 6 top 50, 11 top 100, 0 below 200 (out of 14)

I threw in the A10 because there's a pretty good argument that if you take out UConn, the A10 is meaningfully better than the AAC. Even with UConn, the other P5 conferences are way ahead in overall quality.

linkster

PostPosted: 08/05/15 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
I really don't think there's any question about the difference in the overall quality level between the AAC and the major conferences.

Here's a breakdown in RPI terms from 2015:

AAC - 1 top 10, 1 top 25, 3 top 50, 4 top 100, 4 below 200 (out of 11)
A10 - 0 top 10, 2 top 25, 3 top 50, 6 top 100, 1 below 200 (out of 14)
ACC - 3 top 10, 5 top 25, 7 top 50, 10 top 100, 0 below 200 (out of 15)
B12 - 1 top 10, 3 top 25, 4 top 50, 8 top 100, 0 below 200 (out of 10)
B1G - 2 top 10, 2 top 25, 7 top 50, 9 top 100, 0 below 200 (out of 14)
P12 - 0 top 10, 4 top 25, 5 top 50, 8 top 100, 2 below 200 (out of 12)
SEC - 3 top 10, 3 top 25, 6 top 50, 11 top 100, 0 below 200 (out of 14)

I threw in the A10 because there's a pretty good argument that if you take out UConn, the A10 is meaningfully better than the AAC. Even with UConn, the other P5 conferences are way ahead in overall quality.

Quote:
Even with UConn, the other P5 conferences are way ahead in overall quality

I thought I was clear when I said: "the AAC is certainly a very weak overall conference"

And using RPI as the measuring stick of quality is always going to favor the P5 conferences. Which is exactly why I suggested changing the primary criteria from RPI and top 25 wins. If we were to use the Massey rankings we would see that the SEC has 3 teams in the top 25 while the AAC has 2. And considering how each conference schedules, UConn would have 2 games against S Fla while Tenn and SC only meet once. Not as much of a difference. I'll stipulate that the bottom of the AAC is especially weak but the bottom 6 in the SEC, while better, offer little competition to the top 2 or 3 in their conference.

But my comment wasn't about who's dingus was longer. I was responding to the post that suggested that P5 elite teams needed to schedule a weak OOC schedule to give themselves a break from their tough conference games later in the season. I stand by my comment that there are plenty of weak sisters in all the P5 conferences to allow for that. The SEC has 11 teams outside the RPI top 25 and 8 above 50. Any team that feels the need to play it's starters for long minutes against any team outside the top 50 is NOT an elite team.

beknighted

PostPosted: 08/05/15 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
But my comment wasn't about who's dingus was longer. I was responding to the post that suggested that P5 elite teams needed to schedule a weak OOC schedule to give themselves a break from their tough conference games later in the season. I stand by my comment that there are plenty of weak sisters in all the P5 conferences to allow for that. The SEC has 11 teams outside the RPI top 25 and 8 above 50. Any team that feels the need to play it's starters for long minutes against any team outside the top 50 is NOT an elite team.

I wouldn't say that P5 teams should schedule weak OOC opponents (and not just because that would make me enjoy the season less), but I think it's fair to say that it's more important for UConn to schedule a strong OOC because it plays a lot more weak teams.

I was going to do the exercise of taking out the top and bottom team from each conference to see how they stacked up if you did it that way, but ran out of time. However, it's pretty easy to see from eyeballing the list that the AAC runs out of good teams pretty fast compared to the other conferences. And I'd say the difference between having 2 potential RPI top 50 opponents and 4, 5 or 6 for a top 15 team is pretty significant in terms of the likelihood of upsets.

linkster

PostPosted: 08/05/15 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
linkster wrote:

I wouldn't say that P5 teams should schedule weak OOC opponents (and not just because that would make me enjoy the season less), but I think it's fair to say that it's more important for UConn to schedule a strong OOC because it plays a lot more weak teams.

UConn has 18 conference games. 4 of those are against USF, who is better than all but 3 SEC teams, and Tulane, who beat LSU last year who finished 6th in the SEC. That leaves 14 games against bad teams. Tenn plays SC, Ken., and ???? The rest are weak. Maybe stronger than the AAC but I doubt UConn would need to play their starters more than a half against any of them. Last year against Vandi, UConn won by 39 in a game where Stewart played 22 minutes and Jefferson 23.

I agree that UConn needs to schedule elite OOC games but so do all elite teams, no matter what conference they are in

beknighted

PostPosted: 08/06/15 7:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
beknighted wrote:
linkster wrote:

UConn has 18 conference games. 4 of those are against USF, who is better than all but 3 SEC teams, and Tulane, who beat LSU last year who finished 6th in the SEC. That leaves 14 games against bad teams. Tenn plays SC, Ken., and ???? The rest are weak. Maybe stronger than the AAC but I doubt UConn would need to play their starters more than a half against any of them. Last year against Vandi, UConn won by 39 in a game where Stewart played 22 minutes and Jefferson 23.

I agree that UConn needs to schedule elite OOC games but so do all elite teams, no matter what conference they are in

In the AAC, the UConn schedule works out to 2 games against an RPI top 25 team, 2 games against an RPI 26-50 team, 2 games against an RPI 51-100 team, 4 games v. RPI 100-199 teams and 8 games against RPI 200+ teams. In the SEC, Tennessee played 3 games against RPI top 25 teams, 3 games against RPI 26-50 teams, 7 games against RPI 51-100 teams and 3 games against RPI 101-199 teams. In conference, Tennessee played as many games against RPI top 50 teams as UConn played against RPI top 100 teams (despite playing 2 fewer conference games), and less than half as many games against RPI 100-199 teams as UConn played against RPI 200+ teams. And, of course, Tennessee had multiple conference games against top 10 teams, while UConn had none.

I certainly agree that WCBB is more top-heavy than MCBB, and that upset chances go down pretty rapidly as you move down the ranks of opponents, but it seems to me that you're understating the impact of playing against teams in the RPI top 50, in particular. Those are games where upsets can occur, even against pretty good opponents.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/06/15 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

please god let uconn into a P5 conf and spare us these posts!

PostPosted: 08/06/15 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
please god let uconn into a P5 conf and spare us these posts!

When Husky football is worth talking about then you'll have a chance.

PostPosted: 08/06/15 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Louisville non-conference

Nov. 15 vs. California
Nov. 21 at Western Kentucky
Nov. 27 vs. Marist ^
Nov. 28 vs. TBD ^
Nov. 29 vs. TBD ^
Dec. 3 at Michigan State %
Dec. 5 vs. Valparaiso
Dec. 10 at Kentucky
Dec. 13 vs. IUPUI
Dec. 15 vs. Dartmouth
Dec. 18 at Tennessee Tech
Dec. 20 at College of Charleston
Dec. 28 vs. UT-Martin
Feb. 15 vs. South Florida

^ Gulf Coast Showcase (Estero, Fla.)
% Big Ten/ACC Challenge

http://www.whas11.com/story/sports/basketball/2015/08/05/louisville-womens-basketball-announces-nonconference-schedule/31188747/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: