RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

USA Pan American Games Team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 07/23/15 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
Glenn I agree she is like a running back and once she decides she is off. Good idea about giving her no contact to work with. Also have someone ready to take a charge as she won't be stopping and you know where she is going.

She got quite a few charging calls in her first year at UConn. Never seems to stop her from making hard drives. Last season it occurred to me that she would fit in even better at Notre Dame where they emphasise drives down the lane by guards.

A lot of her success is due to to her being 6' and having upper body strength. Put her up against the "newspaper 5'10" opposing guards in college and she looks like a behemoth. And unlike many college guards she actually makes most of her layups. With Nurse, it's not that she is the fastest or can jump the furthest or has a killer crossover. Her strength is that she she plays aggressively and executes, as opposed to a flashy dribbler who uses an unbelievable spin move to get to the basket and then misses the shot.

Great point ... in general, women are not nearly as good as finishing at the rim as men, for reasons I've laid out before, and that's true at all levels. Nurse, though, can do so, and it adds a huge dimension to her game.

On another point, one reason the USA couldn't get the ball inside is that Canada played zone most of the time and made it very hard to enter the ball. Canada would switch defenses as well, and the Americans just weren't experienced enough/hadn't played together enough to made quick adjustments.

This is the classic international ploy against USA Basketball: Make them make threes, and rely on their relative inexperience playing together.

PostPosted: 07/23/15 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
linkster wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
Glenn I agree she is like a running back and once she decides she is off. Good idea about giving her no contact to work with. Also have someone ready to take a charge as she won't be stopping and you know where she is going.

She got quite a few charging calls in her first year at UConn. Never seems to stop her from making hard drives. Last season it occurred to me that she would fit in even better at Notre Dame where they emphasise drives down the lane by guards.

A lot of her success is due to to her being 6' and having upper body strength. Put her up against the "newspaper 5'10" opposing guards in college and she looks like a behemoth. And unlike many college guards she actually makes most of her layups. With Nurse, it's not that she is the fastest or can jump the furthest or has a killer crossover. Her strength is that she she plays aggressively and executes, as opposed to a flashy dribbler who uses an unbelievable spin move to get to the basket and then misses the shot.

Great point ... in general, women are not nearly as good as finishing at the rim as men, for reasons I've laid out before, and that's true at all levels. Nurse, though, can do so, and it adds a huge dimension to her game.

On another point, one reason the USA couldn't get the ball inside is that Canada played zone most of the time and made it very hard to enter the ball. Canada would switch defenses as well, and the Americans just weren't experienced enough/hadn't played together enough to made quick adjustments.

This is the classic international ploy against USA Basketball: Make them make threes, and rely on their relative inexperience playing together.

If same US team with all its flaws would have 6 months of practice together, i believe that it would beat same Canadian team 9 out of 10 games as almost every player on the US team is more talented than most of the Canadian count parts. If you had to choose a combined team how many Canadians would have been on that team?

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/23/15 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I disagree. In my opinion the one on one players cannot adjust. If they were smart players and team players it wouldn't take any time to adjust. The smart unselfish players know how to pass, adjust to defenses - Clay makes a good point about Canada switching D - they would understand the value of each possession and game flow. Dribblers don't get that.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/23/15 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
I disagree. In my opinion the one on one players cannot adjust. If they were smart players and team players it wouldn't take any time to adjust. The smart unselfish players know how to pass, adjust to defenses - Clay makes a good point about Canada switching D - they would understand the value of each possession and game flow. Dribblers don't get that.

But smart players and team players are generally older players -- I think it's asking a lot of a 20-year-old to have a high basketball IQ. At that level, it's a complicated game requiring many quick decisions. If you have to think about those decisions, then it's already too late ...

PostPosted: 07/23/15 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

There were one on one players when the basic concepts Thayer worked on were taken away from them by the other teams. You could see during the games Stewie explaining to other players were they are supposed to be to run specific offensive set. If you don't know if because of in sufficient training time there should be no surprise with the one on one play.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/24/15 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtbtbtb wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

There were one on one players when the basic concepts Thayer worked on were taken away from them by the other teams. You could see during the games Stewie explaining to other players were they are supposed to be to run specific offensive set. If you don't know if because of in sufficient training time there should be no surprise with the one on one play.

I agree about Stewart but I don't agree about some of the others. They do the same thing in college games, they get away with it against lesser talent but when they come up against a team who scouts well they look like they did against Canada. Time can help but I don't think some of these players will ever get it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: