RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

B1G off season newz
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/28/15 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LadyLionsFan wrote:
I didn't "write her off".....I said that she is a "quality" guard, a 5 star in fact and ESPNW has her rated # 32 in the country last time I checked. So yes, a possibility of starting, but I still think she comes off the bench. I listed her as one of the first players off the bench so I expect her to get some quality minutes.

Also, notice that I said "to start the season." I expect if Spann continues to struggle with turnovers as she did mightily last season then yes, I could see Carter taking the starting job from her. I do feel that right now anyhow, that Carter brings more to the table than fellow freshman Teniya Page.

I didn't say you were writing her off overall, but you seemed to be writing off the possibility of her starting, which is the comment to which I was referring ("they still will be true freshman...not sure if they can just step into DI - B1G play and contribute right away"). I think that when you come in well coached and well prepared from a disciplined program like St Johns you can indeed start as a true freshmen from the first game. Lindsay Allen, from the same program, did it and led her team to the title game.

I expect that McGraw was willing to do it will be of significance to Washington.

LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 05/29/15 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When I made my original post on this topic, I wavered back and forth on whether to put Spann or Carter into the PG starting position. Since Spann started a lot of games last season and knows the system better than Carter I put her in there. But again, that is why I said "to start the season." Because I felt that Spann still might struggle as she did last season with turnovers.

I am much more confident of the other starters I penciled in: Agee, Mitchell, Banks and Moore...pretty much no brainers. Although Peyton Whitted could give her friend/roommate/teammate Kaliyah Mitchell a run for her money. Lineups can change frequently especially for younger teams or teams that are coming off a 6-24 season.....

Anyhow, I am looking forward to the upcoming hoop season. With Lexie Brown transferring out of Maryland that brings the Terps back to the rest of the B1G quite a bit. I still feel that CW is just one really good player away from winning a B1G championship and making a deep run in the NCAA's. Yhere have been a TON of transfers this season and several have been high profile players like Kaela Davis (just chose South Carolina) and Sierra Calhoun just to name a couple. I've heard that Calhoun has petitioned the NCAA so she does not have to sit out a year due to some alleged mistreatment that she supposedly went through at Duke. Something sure is going on a Duke wth the revolving door Coach P has there.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/29/15 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Michigan State signs another post player. Nathanelle Dambo out of Northern California will join the Spartans next fall. She's one of seven incoming freshmen for Suzy Merchant, Four of which are post players.

I certainly hope MI-State has gotten rid of all their nasty, snake-bit luck with injuries and is ready to make some real noise this season.

Spartans should have numbers this season to back up Jankoska and Powers dynamic efforts. Jasmine Hines provides experience in the post as she is returning for her sixth year. A key development will be how Brandeis Agee fares after missing the past two years. Lots of new faces in East Lansing.

LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 05/30/15 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
LadyLionsFan wrote:
I didn't "write her off".....I said that she is a "quality" guard, a 5 star in fact and ESPNW has her rated # 32 in the country last time I checked. So yes, a possibility of starting, but I still think she comes off the bench. I listed her as one of the first players off the bench so I expect her to get some quality minutes.

Also, notice that I said "to start the season." I expect if Spann continues to struggle with turnovers as she did mightily last season then yes, I could see Carter taking the starting job from her. I do feel that right now anyhow, that Carter brings more to the table than fellow freshman Teniya Page.

I didn't say you were writing her off overall, but you seemed to be writing off the possibility of her starting, which is the comment to which I was referring ("they still will be true freshman...not sure if they can just step into DI - B1G play and contribute right away").
I expect that McGraw was willing to do it will be of significance to Washington.
I think that when you come in well coached and well prepared from a disciplined program like St Johns you can indeed start as a true freshmen from the first game. Lindsay Allen, from the same program, did it and led her team to the title game.

You said: " I think that when you come in well coached and well prepared from a disciplined program like St Johns you can indeed start as a true freshmen from the first game. Lindsay Allen, from the same program, did it and led her team to the title game."

But ND's roster is filled with great players. Are you implying that if Amari Carter starts as a true freshman from 'game 1' that Penn State will reach the NCAA title game?

Durantula

PostPosted: 06/13/15 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This will be the last year the Big Ten plays 18 game league schedule. Going back to 16 games which makes sense given the compressed calendar that the women face compared to the men but given how much the Big Ten Network means, this just leads to decreased inventory of potential games.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/women-s-basketball-notebook-huskers-start-practice-for-trip-to/article_6342de71-bdba-5f46-990a-4114f29177c7.html

bucks4now

PostPosted: 06/13/15 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Went to read the article but couldn't because it was "blacked" out.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 06/23/15 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://thegazette.com/subject/sports/pair-of-iowa-womens-basketball-freshmen-impress-as-game-time-league-teammates-20150617

game Time League is off and running in Iowa and the Baby Hawkeyes are getting in some play time before their international jaunt.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/03/15 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More Week Three coverage of Iowa's GTL Pro-AM

http://www.dailyiowan.com/2015/07/02/Sports/42418.html

http://www.dailyiowan.com/2015/07/02/Sports/42417.html

http://www.press-citizen.com/story/sports/college/iowa/basketball-women/2015/07/02/whitney-jennings-iowa-hawkeyes-game-time-league/29604911/

Hawkeyes advanced to the Sweet 16 last season and graduated three starters including WNBA draft pick, Sam Logic. Junior Ally Disterhoff and Sophomore Whitney Jennings are the top returners. Iowa travels to Europe laater this summer.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/07/15 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This week's GameTime League sees the Mini-mighty, Hawkeye point guards squaring off in a battle of undefeated teams.

http://www.dailyiowan.com/2015/07/06/Sports/42433.html

Sophomore-to-be Whitney Jennings is listed at 5-5 while incoming frosh Tania Davis is listed at 5-4. Both estimates are probably generous. These two are the top scorers in the Iowa summer league.

xwomynjoc

PostPosted: 07/14/15 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maryland lands transfer from Baylor, Ieshia Small.

http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=29700&ATCLID=210176805

PostPosted: 07/17/15 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gophers add an incoming freshman transfer from Northern Illinois and an international player from Australia. Both will be eligible this fall.

Lamke, Edwards Sign with Gophers
Quote:

A 6-foot-3 center from Galesville, Wis., Lamke was the No. 49-ranked center in the class of 2015 by ESPN at Gale-Ettrick-Trempealeau High School and played for Wisconsin Playground Elite AAU.

Quote:
A 6-foot-3 center from Leeming, Australia, Edwards averaged 17.2 points, 10.7 rebounds and 3.0 blocks per game at the Australian Junior Championships in 2014, where she was voted “Player of the Day” on the opening day of the event. In 2013, Edwards ranked first at the Australian Junior Championships in rebounds per game and blocks per game.

Edwards played in Australia's WNBL so wouldn't that make her ineligible if she was getting paid?

stever

PostPosted: 07/17/15 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.livonbasketball.com/blog/2015/04/21/jessie-edwards/

Quote:
Luckily for Edwards, she had not been paid by the Waves so the door to securing a U.S. College scholarship was still open.

dinkytown

PostPosted: 07/17/15 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
http://www.livonbasketball.com/blog/2015/04/21/jessie-edwards/

Quote:
Luckily for Edwards, she had not been paid by the Waves so the door to securing a U.S. College scholarship was still open.

Thanks for finding this! Very Happy

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/18/15 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bantam healthy and ready to return.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_28487388/gophers-womens-basketball-rachel-banham-cant-wait-get

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/19/15 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rutgers gets first commit for 2016. 5'8" pg from Peddie School N.J. Kate Hill. I believe Hill plays internationally with CAN-18s

mzonefan

PostPosted: 07/20/15 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Elkhart native Akyah Taylor's college basketball career comes full circle with move from Saint Francis back to Michigan State

http://www.elkharttruth.com/sports/college-sports/2015/07/17/Elkhart-native-Akyah-Taylor-s-college-basketball-career-moves-from-Saint-Francis-to-Michigan-State.html

beknighted

PostPosted: 07/20/15 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Rutgers gets first commit for 2016. 5'8" pg from Peddie School N.J. Kate Hill. I believe Hill plays internationally with CAN-18s

She reportedly had offers from Seton Hall and others. Otherwise I don't know much about her, but CVS loves her guards.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 07/20/15 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Bantam healthy and ready to return.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_28487388/gophers-womens-basketball-rachel-banham-cant-wait-get

Great news! She's very talented and it will be nice to see her back on the court.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 08/07/15 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not specifically WBB related, but Big 10 and Minnesota:

Minnesota AD Norwood Teague resigns amid sexual harassment allegations

PostPosted: 08/07/15 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:

The tweets are pretty bad. They start off just slightly embarrassing and then veer into really awful territory.

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 08/08/15 12:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

The tweets are pretty bad. They start off just slightly embarrassing and then veer into really awful territory.

Meanwhile, just down I-94, Barry Alvarez is frantically emailing around the office, "Is this a new conference-wide rule? Asking for a friend."

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 08/09/15 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://m.startribune.com/sports/gophers/321199871.html

justintyme

PostPosted: 08/10/15 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
http://m.startribune.com/sports/gophers/321199871.html

Yeah, I was just coming to post this.

This guy is beyond disgusting...

PostPosted: 08/11/15 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:

Well now it is WBB related.

The first complaint accusing Teague of gender discrimination was filed in 2012, when he was the athletic director for Virginia Commonwealth University. Women’s basketball coach Beth Cunningham filed the complaint.

The specific reason for the complaint was not provided in the records obtained by the Star Tribune.

Teague took the athletic director job at the University of Minnesota in April 2012. Cunningham, the winningest women’s head basketball coach in Virginia Commonwealth history, left to take an assistant coaching job at Notre Dame in May 2012. VCU ­settled that complaint in July 2012 for $125,000, records show.

Cunningham could not be reached for comment. Officials from VCU did not respond to requests for comment.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 08/22/15 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maryland gets a BIG verbal from Destiny Slocum, Class of 2016!

ESPN ranked #4 overall in Class; #2 at PG position.

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/191032/destiny-slocum

With Lexie Brown gone, and Pavlach and Mosely both starting their final year of eligibility this season, the PG position was wide open for 2016. Looks like Brenda will be turning over the keys to Destiny as soon as she arrives on campus a year from now.

Great pick up by Coach B! This could really help Terps stay competitive with the rest of top tier. Without a strong PG, that would be almost impossible. Whew, I am both happy and relieved. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: