RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who will be the best center next season?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will be the best center next season?
Adut Bulgak, Sr, 6-4, FSU
21%
 21%  [ 13 ]
Ruth Hamblin, Sr, 6-6, ORSU
8%
 8%  [ 5 ]
Ashley Rininger, Sr, 6-4, LIB
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Alaina Coates, Jr, 6-4, SCAR
24%
 24%  [ 15 ]
Brionna Jones, Jr, 6-3, UMD
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Sadie Stipanovich, Jr, 6-3, SLU
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Natalie Butler, So RS, 6-5, UCONN
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
Mercedes Russell, So RS, 6-6, TENN
14%
 14%  [ 9 ]
Rebekah Van Dijk, So, 6-5, UTA
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Kristine Anigwe, Fr, 6-3, CAL
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Kalani Brown, Fr, 6-5, BAY
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Someone else (who?)
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 61

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/07/15 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
I really do not have an answer on which player will be the best center. I would hope that it is a senior because I would like to see my favorite team draft a good center in next year's WNBA draft.

One of the reasons I posted this poll is that I was shocked as to how few quality centers I thought there were in all of D1 basketball. Indeed, a highly skilled player 6-3+ (true height) player is rare.

As to senior centers, I picked the three who I thought had the best stats from last season. Of 39 centers in the junior class last season listed by wbbstate.com, here are where those three players ranked in PPG, RPG, TS%, and AVE EFF:

- Bulgak was 5, 4, 3 (tie), 5

- Hamblin was 4, 8, 1, 1

- Rininger was 3, 6, 3 (tie), 4

Both Bulgak and Hamblin are currently playing on the Canadian WUG team, and after three games Bulgak is ahead of Hamblin in PPG, RPG and FG%.

Last edited by GlennMacGrady on 07/07/15 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
thepullup

PostPosted: 07/07/15 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
thepullup wrote:
Is Kacy Swain a 3,4,or 5? I think she has more athleticism and skill on the perimeter and in the paint than all the above. I really don't know if you can label her as just a 5. But if so, She's my bet!

If you're going to start adding in forwards who play all or some of the time in the post, then that also includes Brianna Stewart, Brianna Turner, Azura Stevens, Alexa Hart, A'ja Wilson, Stephanie Mavunga, etc. I doubt Swain wins in that pool.

You may be right. Kacy plays in a very guard dominated offense. But definitely has the skills inside and out. And can really shoot the ball. Found this on the UCLA boards. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO2sguaD1_w

PostPosted: 07/07/15 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
thepullup wrote:
Is Kacy Swain a 3,4,or 5? I think she has more athleticism and skill on the perimeter and in the paint than all the above. I really don't know if you can label her as just a 5. But if so, She's my bet!

If you're going to start adding in forwards who play all or some of the time in the post, then that also includes Brianna Stewart, Brianna Turner, Azura Stevens, Alexa Hart, A'ja Wilson, Stephanie Mavunga, etc. I doubt Swain wins in that pool.

I don't know if she can be labeled as a 5, but her production last year was even less than McCall's. Swain only got 14min/gm on a very young team - do you think she'll be able to win in that pool first to get enough playing time to show her skills?... And would she then be able to stay out of foul trouble?

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 07/07/15 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

22 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
thepullup wrote:

I don't know if she can be labeled as a 5, but her production last year was even less than McCall's. Swain only got 14min/gm on a very young team - do you think she'll be able to win in that pool first to get enough playing time to show her skills?... And would she then be able to stay out of foul trouble?

She may have gotten little playing time because she only shot 35% from the field last season. And in her freshman year she only shot 33%. (She was redshirted her sophomore year.) She may have great mobility for a 6'3" woman, but she has not shot well in games yet.

bullsky

PostPosted: 07/08/15 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting that Butler was included in this poll.

What's the scout on her? I did not follow her during her stint with her previous team. UCONN could use some post help.

PostPosted: 07/08/15 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Soph Chatrice White of Ill. is a center to watch this year. Last year as a freshman, she averaged 14.5 ppg, 7 rpg, 1.94 blocks/pg. Also averaged 1.94 steals/pg. As a member of the USA U19 team, I think she's one to keep an eye on this year. Not saying she'll be the best, but certainly deserves list consideration.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/08/15 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ewecon wrote:
I think Soph Chatrice White of Ill. is a center to watch this year. Last year as a freshman, she averaged 14.5 ppg, 7 rpg, 1.94 blocks/pg. Also averaged 1.94 steals/pg. As a member of the USA U19 team, I think she's one to keep an eye on this year. Not saying she'll be the best, but certainly deserves list consideration.

On the other hand, since Illinois will (sadly) be nowhere to be found come March, how good she is or will be might be buried in their record.

PostPosted: 07/08/15 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ewecon wrote:

On the other hand, since Illinois will (sadly) be nowhere to be found come March, how good she is or will be might be buried in their record.

She could do well in the B1G who are going to have only a few experienced big kids in the league. but Illinois doesn't have anyone to help her out so she's going to have to play a lot and other teams can afford to multi-team defend her.

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/08/15 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
Interesting that Butler was included in this poll.

What's the scout on her? I did not follow her during her stint with her previous team. UCONN could use some post help.

Big post. Loves to camp out in the lane. Sometimes thinks she has a jumper.

PostPosted: 07/09/15 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you want a running post player, I'll throw out Alexa Hart. For Ohio State, she came out of nowhere last year to be a steady double/double player. Lots was made of her gained strength as the season progressed. If she isn't on of the best next year, she might be the season after.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/09/15 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
If you want a running post player, I'll throw out Alexa Hart. For Ohio State, she came out of nowhere last year to be a steady double/double player. Lots was made of her gained strength as the season progressed. If she isn't on of the best next year, she might be the season after.

I actually like Hart a lot and think her importance was largely overlooked last year in all the Mitchell hype. But still, I'd make the same comment about her that I made about Kacy Swain above. If you're going to start adding in forwards who play all or some of the time in the post, then that also includes Brianna Stewart, Brianna Turner, Azura Stevens, A'ja Wilson, Stephanie Mavunga, etc. I think Hart's better than Swain, but she doesn't come out on top in comparison to these others.

zune69

PostPosted: 07/12/15 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Imani mcgee-stafford.

The addition of Tina Thompson to the coaching staff will help Imani's development.

Fungai

PostPosted: 07/14/15 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
I really do not have an answer on which player will be the best center. I would hope that it is a senior because I would like to see my favorite team draft a good center in next year's WNBA draft.

One of the reasons I posted this poll is that I was shocked as to how few quality centers I thought there were in all of D1 basketball. Indeed, a highly skilled player 6-3+ (true height) player is rare.

As to senior centers, I picked the three who I thought had the best stats from last season. Of 39 centers in the junior class last season listed by wbbstate.com, here are where those three players ranked in PPG, RPG, TS%, and AVE EFF:

- Bulgak was 5, 4, 3 (tie), 5

- Hamblin was 4, 8, 1, 1

- Rininger was 3, 6, 3 (tie), 4

Both Bulgak and Hamblin are currently playing on the Canadian WUG team, and after three games Bulgak is ahead of Hamblin in PPG, RPG and FG%.

Bulgak really impressed in the World U Games. Her rebounding was special. A couple times, against the USA she rebounded her own missed layups in heavy traffic, of the 6'6" kind, at will until her shot finally went in. The USA bigs were helpless against her.

On the other hand, Hamblin didn't impress at all.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 07/14/15 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How does 18 points, 15 rebounds and 58% shooting not get a spot on this list? I'm talking Jillian Alleyne, and I'm astounded to be the first person to mention her. Really? 15 rebounds doesn't get a single shout out?

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/14/15 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am with you Pickle. Jillian has been great on a team of 3 shooters. She has been doubled a lot and still rebounded and put the ball back in the basket. I was totally surprised McCall made the team over her but was told she was not in shape for the try outs. She is a much better player than McCall. I also like Bulgak and thought Canada lost the game when she got in foul trouble.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/14/15 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
How does 18 points, 15 rebounds and 58% shooting not get a spot on this list? I'm talking Jillian Alleyne, and I'm astounded to be the first person to mention her. Really? 15 rebounds doesn't get a single shout out?

Again, my methodology was to select from players listed as centers by wbbstate.com. Alleyne is listed as a forward on that site and also on the Oregon team site.
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/15/15 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the way the game seems to be evolving the center position could disappear. I see your point Glenn so I would go with Bulgak.

Hamblin started last year and appeared to be heading to be the dominant post they expected but as teams scouted her, she struggled.

newkid

PostPosted: 07/15/15 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Imani mcgee-stafford.

The addition of Tina Thompson to the coaching staff will help Imani's development.

Imani's development challenges have been between her ears. Or perhaps beneath her rib cage. She's a very bright and complex person with a lot of interests. By her own account, she has never committted herself 110% to basketball. Last Spring she said that her NCAA tournament experience showed her what was possible for herself and how her team needs her, and that she felt more motivated than ever before. If that is true, Tina Thompson can certainly show her how to get there. I have my fingers crossed.

(All that said, I voted for Bulgak. Smile )

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/17/15 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am sure Texas would just take 100% Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: