RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

World University Games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durantula

PostPosted: 07/14/15 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
First of all, I want to apologize to those I may have thought were over reacting to some of USAs picks, playing time and other stuff. I am actually starting to hear and see what people have been telling me for quite some time. The more you hear and the more I see certain players, one can start to make better judgement calls. As far as McCall goes, I too am baffled. She is NOT 6' 3", she is very undersized in the PAC, so that argument doesn't seem to fly. She is a hard worker so may come across as a better hustle player in practice as Clay alludes to but she has many flaws. She can appear more athletic when players are smaller as many of them were in this tournament but at the college level she makes the same moves and mistakes over and over - takes jump shots at bad times and rarely makes them, will force up lay ups when doubled etc. She is probably the worst decision maker on her team.

It seems that the whole college coach coaching players at this age causes too much conflict. A lot of my friends that coach at the college level are livid right now. Their arguments seem to be more valid that it is being used to enhance recruiting, cause conflict for other coaches and validate agendas which can be wide ranging. Lots of solutions have been thrown out there including non D1 coaches coaching etc. there are some good coaches at these other levels, but the question is why not take out the cause for many complaints?

Yes, there are great coaches at all levels, so I think taking some of the coaches from lower levels can be good, and its a great springboard to bigger jobs. Gets rid of the recruiting issues and playing time controversies regarding a coach on staff getting their own college players to get more minutes.

About McCall, I was surprised she was invited to trials given that she averaged 5 ppg. She goes from being a questionable tryout pick to starting which surprised me but I wonder how she was invited to tryouts over her own teammate Kaylee Johnson, who to me seemed like the more important player for Stanford this past year. I realize Johnson also only averaged around 5 ppg but she almost averaged 10 rpg and overall had just as good, if not better numbers than McCall.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 07/14/15 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
There would probably be fewer raised eyebrows if USA basketball had no history of choices that appeared political or otherwise strange.

I saw on a different board a discussion of the fact that the two players with the most minutes on the U19 team yesterday happened to be the two players for team coaches. Fair or not, people notice those patterns.

At the conclusion of the tournament with today's 75-51 win, here are the average minutes played by the top USA players for all 3 games:

Mariya Moore: 24.7 mpg
Napheesa Collier: 24.0 mpg
Crystal Dangerfield: 23.7 mpg
A'ja Wilson: 23.0 mpg
Shakayla Thomas: 20.7 mpg
Gabby Ortiz: 20.3 mpg

Here are the average stats:

A'ja Wilson: 18.0 ppg on 17-37 (46.0%) shooting, 10.3 rpg, 1.7 bpg
Napheesa Collier: 12.0 ppg on 15-25 (60.0%) shooting, 6.7 rpg, 1.7 apg
Shakayla Thomas: 10.3 ppg on 12-25 (48.0%) shooting, 7.0 rpg, 1.7 spg
Mariya Moore: 7.7 ppg on 8-21 (38.1%) shooting, 4.3 rpg, 3.3 apg
Azura Stevens: 7.7 ppg on 9-17 (52.9%) shooting, 5.0 rpg, 1.0 spg
Crystal Dangerfield: 7.3 ppg on 8-22 (36.4%) shooting, 2.7 rpg, 4.0 apg

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 07/15/15 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
First of all, I want to apologize to those I may have thought were over reacting to some of USAs picks, playing time and other stuff. I am actually starting to hear and see what people have been telling me for quite some time. The more you hear and the more I see certain players, one can start to make better judgement calls. As far as McCall goes, I too am baffled. She is NOT 6' 3", she is very undersized in the PAC, so that argument doesn't seem to fly. She is a hard worker so may come across as a better hustle player in practice as Clay alludes to but she has many flaws. She can appear more athletic when players are smaller as many of them were in this tournament but at the college level she makes the same moves and mistakes over and over - takes jump shots at bad times and rarely makes them, will force up lay ups when doubled etc. She is probably the worst decision maker on her team.

It seems that the whole college coach coaching players at this age causes too much conflict. A lot of my friends that coach at the college level are livid right now. Their arguments seem to be more valid that it is being used to enhance recruiting, cause conflict for other coaches and validate agendas which can be wide ranging. Lots of solutions have been thrown out there including non D1 coaches coaching etc. there are some good coaches at these other levels, but the question is why not take out the cause for many complaints?

Yes, there are great coaches at all levels, so I think taking some of the coaches from lower levels can be good, and its a great springboard to bigger jobs. Gets rid of the recruiting issues and playing time controversies regarding a coach on staff getting their own college players to get more minutes.

About McCall, I was surprised she was invited to trials given that she averaged 5 ppg. She goes from being a questionable tryout pick to starting which surprised me but I wonder how she was invited to tryouts over her own teammate Kaylee Johnson, who to me seemed like the more important player for Stanford this past year. I realize Johnson also only averaged around 5 ppg but she almost averaged 10 rpg and overall had just as good, if not better numbers than McCall.

Johnson was at the tryouts, McCall made the team over Wyoming Johnson.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/15/15 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kaylee Johnson was by far the most reliable player. She was a better rebounder and better defender. She was also less likely to shoot bad shots away from the basket and make better decisions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: