RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Some top players in 2018 class

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/26/15 2:29 pm    ::: Some top players in 2018 class Reply Reply with quote

ESPN's #1 ranked player is 6-3 Charli Collier from Texas. She had originally committed to ULonghorn but has apparently reopened her recruiting. Doesn't seem to be on a USAB team.

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fnbvp7LsfbE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/26/15 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN's #4 ranked player is 6-7 Sedona Prince from Texas. She is currently playing on the USAB U16 team.

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2-8FaSBxvyc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/26/15 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN #2 is 6-2 Aquira DeCosta from Kallamfornia, who is so good she dominates in her sleep.

She's currently playing on the U16 team.

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 06/26/15 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So much talent, looks like 6-2 or 6-3 will only play the 4 in collage; it will take 6-6 or 6-7 to play the 5 with a major collage... These girls are getting much better and they are a lot more of them.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 06/26/15 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You may reconsider after watching the FIBA Americas. These are the worst batch of players in some time. They said none of them could hit a basket at try outs and they were correct.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 06/26/15 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geez, they are only 15 and 16. Let's be patience before placing a label on them.

PostPosted: 06/27/15 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jeez you give your opinion and I will give mine!

Considering these are supposed to be some of the better players of their classes, they have not shown any basketball knowledge of how to play the game. They jack up shots selfishly and can't make lay ups against inferior size and opponents. In fact 1 of the worst players on the team Wallace has the better FG% and does not reflect how bad her decision making and defense is. All the players reach and foul, if the other teams could make free throws they woukd be in these games.

Durantula

PostPosted: 06/27/15 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:

Considering these are supposed to be some of the better players of their classes, they have not shown any basketball knowledge of how to play the game. They jack up shots selfishly and can't make lay ups against inferior size and opponents. In fact 1 of the worst players on the team Wallace has the better FG% and does not reflect how bad her decision making and defense is. All the players reach and foul, if the other teams could make free throws they woukd be in these games.

I think this group is unusual in that the best players per the rankings are not on the team. Look at ESPN's top 60 for 2017 and the top 12 players aren't on the team. Some are too old, some were hurt, some got cut, and some weren't invited and didn't want to shell out big dollars to try out for the team. but this is sort of unusual. 2 of the top 20 players for 2017 are on the team. Maybe the 2017-2018 classes are down compared to the previous few classes.

Here are the rankings of the players;
Jayda Adams isn't in the top 60 for 2017
Desiree Caldwell is #25 for 2018
Aquira DeCosta is #2 for 2018
Andra Espinoza-Hunter is #56 for 2017. She is going to UConn and is ranked high by some other rankings but her stats have been very subpar thus far.
Destiny Littleton is #16 for 2017
Lauryn Miller is #57 for 2017
Alexis Morris is #13 for 2017
Valencia Myers is #10 for 2018
Sedona Prince is #4 for 2018
Honesty Scott-Grayson is #11 for 2018
Bexley Wallace is #23 for 2018
Jade Williams is #23 for 2017

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/27/15 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Geez, they are only 15 and 16. Let's be patience before placing a label on them.

Exactly. They are KIDS! People trashing them because they expect to see them play like college juniors and seniors seriously need to get a life! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 06/27/15 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

Exactly. They are KIDS! People trashing them because they expect to see them play like college juniors and seniors seriously need to get a life! Rolling Eyes

Exactly. While there is some truth to the fact that the passing and team work is less than stellar, we need to remember that the U16's are the entry level developmental team for the USA program. They were picked as much for future potential as their present level abilities. They have not been together that long and need games to develop their chemistry.

Something I noticed about the venue that they play in is the absence of a solid background for the baskets. Most high school players never or seldom play in arena's where they have free standing baskets with that much space and multicolored fans between the basket and a solid wall which creates a depth perception nightmare. This requires an entirely different focus point for outside shooters. The California Nor Cal and State playoffs are played in the Kings arena. What has been evident for years that it has affected the accuracy of the outside shooters who haven' had enough experience to adjust there focal points to the front of the rim.

I wonder if the criticism leveled at the players is influenced by some of the posters personal agenda " I told you so' attitudes because the players they might have chosen did not make the team. Players are also not machines who play consistently day after day. Every athlete has a sliding scale for the level of their performances which will vary from day to day. Anyone who actually plays the game or remembers playing the game knows there are days you cant throw it in the ocean and other days you just can not miss.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 06/27/15 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Have you watched any of the prior U16 tournaments or is it just that Acosta is on the team?

The venue does have a back to the baskets unlike prior events. We are talking lay ups here, how much of a background do you want.

Have you seen the score against Brazil?

Every game this US team has started behind against the weakest teams in the tournament, I have never seen that before!

I personally don't think that picking different players is the issue as the try outs were apparantly just as we are viewing. Is it a knew tide of selfish players who don't study the game or their craft is my question.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 07/01/15 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't followed under 16 basketball in the past (and probably won't in the future). But for those of you that do, how do the player rankings generally hold up over time. How many of last year's All-Americans were ranked in the top 25 in 2009 or 2010?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/01/15 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
I haven't followed under 16 basketball in the past (and probably won't in the future). But for those of you that do, how do the player rankings generally hold up over time. How many of last year's All-Americans were ranked in the top 25 in 2009 or 2010?

HERE is the 2009 U16 team.

HERE is the 2011 U16 team. That same year, the 16 year old Breanna Stewart and Diamond DeShields were bumped all the way up to the U19 team because they were so good.
ClayK

PostPosted: 07/02/15 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A couple points:

1) Talent goes in cycles. Look at the WNBA draft -- some years are just better than others. This group just isn't that strong, I don't think.

2) That said, usually it doesn't matter. The USA U16s have always dominated FIBA Americas, so this one loss is troubling. As I mentioned, it could be that Brazil is actually pretty good (they have been in the past), but still, up cycle or down cycle, the USA U16s have seldom had much problem.

3) In the bigger picture, to jump back on one my favorite hobby horses, the structure of the sport at the youth level emphasizes winning so much that skill development falls by the wayside. And this emphasis comes almost entirely from the parents, who want their kids to win, and will transfer players from a coach who is less concerned with winning and more with skill development to another who has a better record.

And it's easy to win by letting superior athletes 1) press and 2) go to the rim on pretty much every possession. (Malcolm Gladwell glorified this strategy in an article praising Vivek Ranadive, who dominated a youth league by emphasizing winning over skill. Ranadive is now engaged in running the Sacramento Kings into the ground.)

Sooner or later, players must have something besides athleticism to fall back on, especially at the offensive end, and this particular group apparently did not.

4) It was just one game, after all ...

PostPosted: 07/02/15 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think in general if you give players plays to run, most of them will try to run them. At least enough players will to provide a semblance of an offense.

Not only did this appear to be from the Sylvia Hatchell "turn them loose and let 'em play" school of coaching, it appeared to be accompanied by a fixed schedule of "we're rotating players so everyone plays double digit minutes regardless of who is actually listening to what we're telling them or how anyone is actually performing."

Now maybe these players are just not any good, but I find that somewhat difficult to believe regardless of whether this is overall a good or bad recruiting crop.

And while they weren't great on offense, they were truly dismal on defense against Brazil. And there was also a lack of effort and fundamentals on the boards. It's probably even harder to start from zero in teaching fundamental defense. Your comments were mostly about offensive fundamentals. Would I be correct in assuming that the AAU approach includes zero attention to defensive fundamentals? That it's basically a "we'll just outscore 'em" mindset?

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 07/02/15 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Along with what Clay was saying, I have watched a TON of basketball and it seems like now many "coaches" teach kids "how to run a play" but not "how to play"...and there is a HUGE difference. Kids are taught where to go and what to do, but what happens when that is taken away from you? You have to be able to adjust and make a play happen and there a lot more kids now that don't seem to have much of a clue what to do in those situations.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/02/15 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Along with what Clay was saying, I have watched a TON of basketball and it seems like now many "coaches" teach kids "how to run a play" but not "how to play"...and there is a HUGE difference. Kids are taught where to go and what to do, but what happens when that is taken away from you? You have to be able to adjust and make a play happen and there a lot more kids now that don't seem to have much of a clue what to do in those situations.

A line I like to use: I don't want girls who run plays; I want girls who make plays.

Again, structured practices, games and clinics are all great, but playing four hours of pickup basketball a week is a tremendous teacher as well -- and girls seldom if ever just play the game.

PostPosted: 07/04/15 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

A line I like to use: I don't want girls who run plays; I want girls who make plays.

Again, structured practices, games and clinics are all great, but playing four hours of pickup basketball a week is a tremendous teacher as well -- and girls seldom if ever just play the game.

Exactly! I was coaching my son's youth team (10 & 11 year olds) and I tried to incorporate some free play in each practice where they would just go up and down. I would stop them occasionally to just point out options they could have done and should look for in certain situations. Obviously, players need to develop strong fundamentals but their creative side needs to be encouraged and developed as well.

dfineguy

PostPosted: 07/10/15 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:

I was watching to U10 team the other day and less than half of the girls were shooting over 50% from the field!

YOU ARE SOOO RIGHT!! USA Women's Basketball is in serious trouble.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: