RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2014-2015 Transfers and other departures.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noleman

PostPosted: 06/24/15 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Imani Wright is headed to Florida State.

Durantula

PostPosted: 06/27/15 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

noleman wrote:

I was waiting for FSU to pick up a transfer! They work the transfer market well.

Wright's former teammate at Baylor Ieshia Small is going to Maryland. If you can't get playing time at Baylor, what makes you think you will play at Maryland? Both are top programs with a lot of talent.

Has Mikayla Buckner announced where she is going yet? That was the only other Baylor transfer I could think of for this year.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 06/28/15 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Buckner was going JUCO.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 06/28/15 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
As I remember, Small took a long time to commit in the first place. I seem to recall that she was almost the last of her class to commit.

Yes, I seem to recall that she chose Baylor over South Carolina. Has she chosen another college to go to since leaving Baylor? I haven't heard of any decision being made...

Maryland

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/28/15 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
As I remember, Small took a long time to commit in the first place. I seem to recall that she was almost the last of her class to commit.

Yes, I seem to recall that she chose Baylor over South Carolina. Has she chosen another college to go to since leaving Baylor? I haven't heard of any decision being made...

Maryland

Interesting choice.

PostPosted: 06/28/15 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And a more interesting choice is Jessica Washington to Kansas, which she just announced via Twitter and Instagram. Closer to home, I guess.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 06/28/15 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is as she's from Oklahoma. Schneider now has a backcourt of McKenzie Calvert and JWa in 2016. That's a decent upgrade.

allenleavell

PostPosted: 06/28/15 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know this is a rumor but I think Cee Caldwell will end up at Kansas.The connection with the new staff at Kansas is close .The relationship with the staff is a good one.I don't see J. Washington playing over Cee if it happens.IJS

Durantula

PostPosted: 06/28/15 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

allenleavell wrote:
I know this is a rumor but I think Cee Caldwell will end up at Kansas.The connection with the new staff at Kansas is close .The relationship with the staff is a good one.I don't see J. Washington playing over Cee if it happens.IJS

I was thinking Texas Tech. Aldridge is a good young PG and now Washington, a little crowded.

PrideFan

PostPosted: 06/29/15 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Former Hofstra player Andreana Thomas will be at University of Vermont this season.
She was a regular starter for Hofstra until she left the team (presumably kicked off) midway through the 2013-14 season, but remained at the university through this year and graduated this spring.

Howee

PostPosted: 06/30/15 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
And a more interesting choice is Jessica Washington to Kansas, which she just announced via Twitter and Instagram. Closer to home, I guess.

Hmmm. Just...hmmm. Confused

PostPosted: 06/30/15 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
allenleavell wrote:

I was thinking Texas Tech. Aldridge is a good young PG and now Washington, a little crowded.

Yes, Caldwell wounded up at Texas Tech.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/30/15 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PrideFan wrote:
Former Hofstra player Andreana Thomas will be at University of Vermont this season.
She was a regular starter for Hofstra until she left the team (presumably kicked off) midway through the 2013-14 season, but remained at the university through this year and graduated this spring.

Interesting.

I watched Andreanna many, many times at Connecticut state champ Hillhouse High School where she was a teammate of West Virginia star Bria Holmes, and several times at Hofstra when they were playing EDD's Delaware.
terpsforever

PostPosted: 07/01/15 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

noleman wrote:

Good addition for FSU

terpsforever

PostPosted: 07/01/15 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ripleydc wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Maryland

Interesting choice.

Yeah, not sure what type of talent she has or why she didn't get minutes at Baylor but we shall see. Hopefully a good pickup for the Terps.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/08/15 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone who thinks that players getting jerked around over releases only happens in WBB should read this. I wonder if there will be the same media and public outcry when it happens to a man at Memphis as what Kansas St faced when it did it to Romero.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13217060/memphis-tigers-forward-austin-nichols-said-intends-transfer

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/08/15 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Anyone who thinks that players getting jerked around over releases only happens in WBB should read this. I wonder if there will be the same media and public outcry when it happens to a man at Memphis as what Kansas St faced when it did it to Romero.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13217060/memphis-tigers-forward-austin-nichols-said-intends-transfer

While both situations are unfortunate, there are *huge* differences between Romero and Nichols.

Romero was from Spain, who came over to play for Deb Patterson. KState fired Patterson and brought in a new coach. Romero sought her release almost immediately.

Nichols was recruited by Josh Pastner and played for him for a few years. Pastner is still the head coach; there has been no coaching change. Nichols was named a captain of the team for 2015-2016. Now it is July and he is asking for his release.

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/08/15 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While I join others in questioning the timing, I think it's a dick move by Memphis. Do they honestly think he's going to play for them if they don't let him go?

(now with spelling variations)
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/08/15 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
While I join others in questioning the timing, I think it's a dick move by Memphis. Do they honestly think he's going to play for them if they don't let him go?

. WHo knows how long the coaching staff really knew about this? I suppose they could have been blindsided but they may have suspected this was happening for awhile and this is the first it was made public....anyhoo, the idea maybe to have him burn a year of eligibility at a JUCO and only have one year available after that at the D 1 level.

Yea, seems spiteful. Especially seeing how many coaches on the MBB and WBB side have handled high profile transfers over the past year.

Pertaining to ArtBest's thoughts on this scenario relative to Romero's situation, I don't see it drawing that big of attention. I don't believe Romero's cause picked up steam until after well more than a month of being yanked around by K-State. Plus, as CamrnCrzn, pointed out the unique circumstances of the Romero situation. But I think a critical point was that KSU had jerked her around for so long with making her go through this appeals process and then having her repeatedly submit lists of where she wanted to go and then subsequently denying these request reached a level of gross spitefulness that there was a collective "enough".

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/08/15 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

While both situations are unfortunate, there are *huge* differences between Romero and Nichols.

Romero was from Spain, who came over to play for Deb Patterson. KState fired Patterson and brought in a new coach. Romero sought her release almost immediately.

Nichols was recruited by Josh Pastner and played for him for a few years. Pastner is still the head coach; there has been no coaching change. Nichols was named a captain of the team for 2015-2016. Now it is July and he is asking for his release.

I fail to see how any of those differences are material to the basic issue. Who cares where he's from. Frankly I have less sympathy for a foreign student who has been handed an opportunity to play basketball and a free education in the US.

He's not asking for the one year sit out period to be waived. He just wants to talk to other schools about transfering.

Sounds like just some weak excuses for answering "no" to my question " I wonder if there will be the same media and public outcry when it happens to a man at Memphis as what Kansas St faced when it did it to Romero."

I expected as much.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/08/15 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I fail to see how any of those differences are material to the basic issue. Who cares where he's from. Frankly I have less sympathy for a foreign student who has been handed an opportunity to play basketball and a free education in the US.

He's not asking for the one year sit out period to be waived. He just wants to talk to other schools about transfering.

Sounds like just some weak excuses for answering "no" to my question " I wonder if there will be the same media and public outcry when it happens to a man at Memphis as what Kansas St faced when it did it to Romero."

I expected as much.

I didn't have much interest in the outcry over Romero either. Both Kansas State and Memphis are following the NCAA rules. Don't like the rules, fight with the NCAA, not the schools that are following them. The situation sucks, but it is the situation that these athletes voluntarily agree to.

I am still baffled by the NCAA decision to let Romero play without sitting out a year.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/08/15 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I expected as much.

I didn't have much interest in the outcry over Romero either. Both Kansas State and Memphis are following the NCAA rules. Don't like the rules, fight with the NCAA, not the schools that are following them. The situation sucks, but it is the situation that these athletes voluntarily agree to.

I am still baffled by the NCAA decision to let Romero play without sitting out a year.

If you're not baffled by the NCAA, you're not paying attention.

PostPosted: 07/08/15 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

6-1 freshman Lauren Webb is no longer with BGSU. She did not play last season due to an injury sustained early in the season. Haven't heard why she left or if she's going to play elsewhere.

PostPosted: 07/08/15 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I expected as much.

Actually, those factors make a *tremendous* difference in the situations, first of all.

Second, KState played games with the appeal process and waffled back and forth. Nichols just informed the university of his decision.

You are looking to make a gender issue, so you reached the conclusion before the process has truly commenced.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/08/15 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read an article yesterday which stated that ONE-THIRD of all college students will transfer schools at least once in their career. When you consider that, the number of athletes who transfer is actually relatively small. The article did point out that some number of these are transfers from two-year to four-year schools, but not as many as you would think. Even allowing for that, the percentage of athletes transferring is smaller than that of ordinary students transferring. It just looks large because of their profiles, IMO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 20 of 24

Jump to: