RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Best tall multi-position player after three years of college

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who's simply the best?
Candace Parker
30%
 30%  [ 11 ]
Maya Moore
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
Elena Delle Donne
36%
 36%  [ 13 ]
Breanna Stewart
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 36

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/20/15 7:43 am    ::: Best tall multi-position player after three years of college Reply Reply with quote

Which of these four players do you think was the best as of three years of college play?

You can choose your own definition of best, but I don't mean the primary focus to be on championships or awards. More on your own subjective evaluation of their intrinsic skills and talents. For example, who would be your first pick if you were the Earth coach in the Earth-Klingon death match?
ClayK

PostPosted: 06/20/15 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's hard to compare Moore and EDD because their games are so different, so I'd call it a tie between those two. Stewart a close third and CP3's lack of commitment to defense puts her fourth.

PostPosted: 06/20/15 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's easy to see EDD's value now but after 3 years of college she had played 2 seasons at one position (4/5) playing in a pathetic conference and didn't face even one top 10 team. Hard to evaluate her as a multi-position player.

Same with Parker. I don't remember her playing anywhere but the 4 prior to her 4th year of college. And as far as her reputed guard skills, even as a pro while she was able to dribble from foul line to foul line with ease those last 15 feet more often than not saw her get stripped of the ball. She dribbled too high to play guard.

I don't see how Moore qualifies as a "tall" player.

So 3 of the players were 4/5's while the 4th wasn't tall.

I'd vote for none of the above.

A much better candidate would be Angel McCoughtry. She did it all IMO.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 06/21/15 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
It's easy to see EDD's value now but after 3 years of college she had played 2 seasons at one position (4/5) playing in a pathetic conference and didn't face even one top 10 team. Hard to evaluate her as a multi-position player.

Same with Parker. I don't remember her playing anywhere but the 4 prior to her 4th year of college. And as far as her reputed guard skills, even as a pro while she was able to dribble from foul line to foul line with ease those last 15 feet more often than not saw her get stripped of the ball. She dribbled too high to play guard.

well angel doesn't fit the 'tall' characteristic either.

linkster

PostPosted: 06/21/15 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
linkster wrote:

well angel doesn't fit the 'tall' characteristic either.

Good point but she is at least an inch taller than Moore.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 06/23/15 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alyssa Thomas. Don't know if she had much of a three point shot but Believe she will led the Terps in scoring,rebounding, assists and steals her senior season.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/23/15 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suspect this poll is just about petered out, but it was intended to elicit responses only about the four listed players.

The word "tall" in the title was only there to eliminate players who are primarily guards. I was interested in how members felt about four Olympic-level players who can play the front court and also from beyond the perimeter -- thus, multipositional -- as of the time they had played three years of college ball.
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 06/23/15 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is hard for some to put aside their fandom and look at the poll at face value.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 06/23/15 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
It is hard for some to put aside their fandom and look at the poll at face value.

I did not have a fan favorite. Voted for CP3, specifically due to the definition of "after the third year of college." Her lack of defense wasn't exposed until the WNBA. Anosike played double duty defense in college and CP3 was tougher, fiercer back then. LA has done a really sucky job of maximizing CP3 in LA - a real hot mess in surrounding her with non-complementary players.

~rAf
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/23/15 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I specified three years of college play to even the poll for Breanna Stewart, who has of course only played three years. One of my interests was finding out how people think of Stewart compared to the other three multi-positional superstars at a comparable point in time. I personally think her skill set puts her in fourth place, but very close. I voted EDD as tops.
p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 06/24/15 3:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/25/15 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was going to question Holdsclaw's "multi-position" credentials by pointing out that she scored only 33 three-point shots in her first three college years (36 over four years).

Then I noticed that Parker had only 17 three-point makes in three years. My memory must be failing. Maybe Parker was a perimeter threat only in the sense of driving, and perhaps she doesn't belong on this list of perimeter/post threats at all.

The other three original poll candidates had these many three-point makes in their first three college years:

Moore: 243 (311 over four years)
EDD: 154 (206 over four)
Stewart: 106

The best perimeter/post threat from Tennessee was probably Tamika Catchings with 99 three-point makes in her first three years (122 over four).

Angel McCoughtry had 100 3pters over her first three years (143 over four).

Based on these three point statistics, I think I have to rearrange my original historical memories into:

1. Maya Moore
2. Elena Delle Donne
3. Breanna Stewart
4. Candace Parker (way behind; great player but not a 3pt shooting threat)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: