RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Gray to.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 06/20/15 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't understand all the accusations of tampering against Dawn Staley and South Carolina. Nothing but rumors and hearsay. Columbia, SC is very close to GA's borders, and GA has been a huge recruiting ground for Staley and the USC staff since she became the Gamecock HC. Staley has cultivated some excellent relationships with the AAU coaches in GA and FL, and had recruiting relationships with Davis, Lexi Brown, Gray, DeShields, Te'a Cooper, etc.etc.

At one time Te'a's older sister Mia was a commitment to USC in the 2013 class but didn't make it in due to grades and ultimately chose to give up playing basketball. At one time when Te'a de-committed from UNC the understanding was that USC was one of the favorites for her:

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/11038690/hoopgurlz-tennessee-lady-volunteers-get-verbal-commitment-tea-cooper-elite-prospect-2015-recruiting-class

At one time when DeShields transferred from UNC and didn't name an immediate replacement, USC was considered one of her top choices:

http://www.swishappeal.com/2014/5/14/5717496/diamond-deshields-to-visit-south-carolina-this-weekend/in/5568221

And people are forgetting that another top prospect from the 2013 class - W Ieshia Small - chose Baylor over South Carolina, and now she has transferred from Baylor too. No idea where she ends up, but she was a FL prospect in 2013 that Staley recruited very heavily:

http://www.fullcourt.com/prep/23079/ieshia-small-picks-baylor-over-south-carolina[/url]

It actually makes sense that these top prospects that are leaving their former schools, and wish to find a new one that's very successful as well as in close proximity to their homes, would consider USC. They had to get permission from their schools to contact and discuss with the staff at USC, and they all did. Why would there be any concerns about tampering with these 3? Imovbioh won't even play with either Davis or Gray: it's actually substantially different situations with these girls.....

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 06/20/15 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
According to Maria Cornelius on the Summitt, Sylvia Hatchell refused permission for Gray to transfer to Tenn.

And Mavunga has tweeted about Gray "bossing her around" and just started following Kaela Davis on Twitter.

Given that some of these players may want to stay in the southeast, and their former teams/conference have blocked them from transferring to another ACC team and certain SEC team(s), and they want to compete at the highest level, I don't think we need to look for a tampering conspiracy to induce them to SC.

Since this may be misleading about amateur athletes and young people, Mavunga's tweet about Gray "bossing" her around was in clear jest. Mavunga has now recently put a photo of her, Gray, and someone else as her twitter's heading photo, so there isn't any personal issues between her and Allisha...

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 06/20/15 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
According to Maria Cornelius on the Summitt, Sylvia Hatchell refused permission for Gray to transfer to Tenn.

And Mavunga has tweeted about Gray "bossing her around" and just started following Kaela Davis on Twitter.

Given that some of these players may want to stay in the southeast, and their former teams/conference have blocked them from transferring to another ACC team and certain SEC team(s), and they want to compete at the highest level, I don't think we need to look for a tampering conspiracy to induce them to SC.

Since this may be misleading about amateur athletes and young people, Mavunga's tweet about Gray "bossing" her around was in clear jest. Mavunga has now recently put a photo of her, Gray, and someone else as her twitter's heading photo, so there isn't any personal issues between her and Allisha...

That photo has been up there for a while, along with several friendly tweets between Mavunga and Gray about how much they miss each other. One could infer, perhaps wrongly as who knows the mind of a teenager, that Gray may be trying to persuade Mavunga to follow her to SC. I don't know where you came up with the idea of "issues."

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 06/20/15 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

That photo has been up there for a while, along with several friendly tweets between Mavunga and Gray about how much they miss each other. One could infer, perhaps wrongly as who knows the mind of a teenager, that Gray may be trying to persuade Mavunga to follow her to SC. I don't know where you came up with the idea of "issues."

If I was a casual fan that didn't have a lot of background info regarding the former UNC teammates, and I read a non-descriptive post about one tweeting that the other was "bossing her around" (was this tweeted recently? In the past during the season?), I might wonder if there were personal issues or bad chemistry between the two. Since there's such a big question right now surrounding the UNC program and all the transfers out, as to what's going on with it.

So I just wanted to flesh it out more for those type of posters/readers. I'm sure those that are following this closer known that they are close friends.....

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/22/15 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My suggestion would involve changing the rules ...

Why shouldn't coaches and players be allowed to talk to each other? What would be the negative? This is, after all, a big business, with big salaries for coaches and million-dollar careers for elite players. Shouldn't coaches and players be allowed to find the best fit?

An engineering student has no such restrictions, nor does a music major. Why should an athlete?

PostPosted: 06/22/15 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
My suggestion would involve changing the rules ...

Why shouldn't coaches and players be allowed to talk to each other? What would be the negative? This is, after all, a big business, with big salaries for coaches and million-dollar careers for elite players. Shouldn't coaches and players be allowed to find the best fit?

An engineering student has no such restrictions, nor does a music major. Why should an athlete?

I think we can rest assurred that of all the things that might be changed, that won't be one of them.

I can see how someone who has competely lost sight of the importance of education and thinks this is all about nothing but playing a game would feel that way. Thankfully education has not gotten as lost as you seem to think.

The funny thing is that even every professional league has tampering prohibitions. Why don't you begin your quest with the NFL and NBA and leave colleges alone.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/22/15 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I can see how someone who has competely lost sight of the importance of education and thinks this is all about nothing but playing a game would feel that way. Thankfully education has not gotten as lost as you seem to think.

How in the world is someone's education harmed by talking to a coach from another university?

PostPosted: 06/22/15 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

How in the world is someone's education harmed by talking to a coach from another university?

I would think that would be totally obvious.

Solely for the sake of basketball coaches would try to uproot players and disrupt their education. Talk about mispaced priorites.

What the hell. Screw education, right? They aren't students. They're just performers there for your entertainment and viewing enjoyment.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/22/15 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Solely for the sake of basketball coaches would try to uproot players and disrupt their education. Talk about mispaced priorites.

What the hell. Screw education, right? They aren't students. They're just performers there for your entertainment and viewing enjoyment.

Students transfer all the time. It's not a big deal academically.

PostPosted: 06/22/15 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Students transfer all the time.

Boy is that herring ever bright red. Of course they do and no one's stopping them. Totally irrelevant.

pilight wrote:

It's not a big deal academically.

I'm glad you think so. Rolling Eyes

pilight

PostPosted: 06/22/15 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Sorry I don't accept your opinion as fact. Do you have any evidence to support your assertion?

PostPosted: 06/22/15 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Sorry I don't accept your opinion as fact. Do you have any evidence to support your assertion?

Why don't you provide your evidence first. I think the disruption should be obvious to anyone who has ever gone to school.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/22/15 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Why don't you provide your evidence first. I think the disruption should be obvious to anyone who has ever gone to school.

About a third of students transfer during their undergraduate academic career. Transfer students have a higher graduation rate than first time, full time students. Students who transfer schools can and have reached high levels of success in many different fields.

Your turn

PostPosted: 06/22/15 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:

About a third of students transfer during their undergraduate academic career. Transfer students have a higher graduation rate than first time, full time students. Students who transfer schools can and have reached high levels of success in many different fields.
Your turn

Also, students look to their college education to further their professional careers, among other things. Many college basketball players entertain the notion that they will enter the athletic/basketball field after graduation, as players or coaches (high school or college) or administrators.

Wouldn't it then make sense to get your college education in the best possible place (in your mind, at that time) to further your professional aspirations?

And wouldn't an engineering student talk to professors at a school she was thinking of transferring to -- or should that be prohibited as well?

PostPosted: 06/22/15 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Your turn

Also, students look to their college education to further their professional careers, among other things. Many college basketball players entertain the notion that they will enter the athletic/basketball field after graduation, as players or coaches (high school or college) or administrators.

Wouldn't it then make sense to get your college education in the best possible place (in your mind, at that time) to further your professional aspirations?

And wouldn't an engineering student talk to professors at a school she was thinking of transferring to -- or should that be prohibited as well?

Come on Clay. Approximately 1100 colleges play NCAA womens basketball (and that doesn't include NAIA and NJCAA schools). So with, conservatively, 12 players per team, that's about 13,000 players, or 3,000 per year. What are there, 18 rookies on WNBA rosters this year? Say at most another 20 who may play internationally for more than a year or two? So you want to set the rules based on the less than half of a percent who have any professional aspirations?

I notice you ignored the reality that even all the pro leagues prohibit tampering.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/22/15 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Your turn

Proving once again that anyone can find all sorts of irrelevant statistics on the internet. Your reports are swamped by students at two year colleges. Of course a higher share of the 30% of those students who transfer get their bachelors degree because zero percent of those who don't transfer earn a bachelors degree. That obviously has no meaning in the current discussion, but then if you actually read those reports you already knew that.

Even if the numbers weren't fully distorted by JC students, they include thousands of tiny private colleges and huge public commuter schools, none of which have any relevance to the 300 major institutions playing Div I basketball. Oh, I almost forgot your one example of a succesful transfer. Heck maybe we should cite Bill Gates as evidence that the best way to succeed is to drop out of college.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 06/22/15 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 06/22/15 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Your turn

Proving once again that anyone can find all sorts of irrelevant statistics on the internet. Your reports are swamped by students at two year colleges. Of course a higher share of the 30% of those students who transfer get their bachelors degree because zero percent of those who don't transfer earn a bachelors degree. Of course that has no.meaning in the current discusdion, but then if you actually read those reports you already knew that.

Even if the numbers weren't fully distorted by JC students, they include thousands of tiny private colleges and huge public commuter schools, none of which have any relevance to the 300 major institutions playing Div I basketball. Oh, I almost fotgot your one example of a succesful transfer. Heck maybe we should cite Bill Gates as evidence that the best way to succeed is to drop out of college.

So you don't have any evidence. Just your opinion.

PostPosted: 06/22/15 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Your turn

Proving once again that anyone can find all sorts of irrelevant statistics on the internet. Your reports are swamped by students at two year colleges. Of course a higher share of the 30% of those students who transfer get their bachelors degree because zero percent of those who don't transfer earn a bachelors degree. Of course that has no.meaning in the current discusdion, but then if you actually read those reports you already knew that.

Even if the numbers weren't fully distorted by JC students, they include thousands of tiny private colleges and huge public commuter schools, none of which have any relevance to the 300 major institutions playing Div I basketball. Oh, I almost fotgot your one example of a succesful transfer. Heck maybe we should cite Bill Gates as evidence that the best way to succeed is to drop out of college.

No, i have common sense and personnal observation. At least I don't try to pass off irrelevant misleading numbers as support for unfounded assertions.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/22/15 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Your turn

No, i have common sense and personnal observation. At least I don't try to pass off irrelevant misleading numbers as support for unfounded assertions.

No, you make unfounded assertions with no support at all.

My personal observation has yielded very different results from yours. Almost all of the people I know who have attended multiple universities have done very well for themselves.

Common sense suggests that if a student has found their current school to be a poor fit for whatever reason they would have a better chance of finding a place where they can be successful if they talk to someone on the staff at other universities. The student might well discover their current situation is better after all upon having such conversations.

PostPosted: 06/22/15 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
No, you make unfounded assertions with no support at all.

My personal observation has yielded very different results from yours. Almost all of the people I know who have attended multiple universities have done very well for themselves.

Common sense suggests that if a student has found their current school to be a poor fit for whatever reason they would have a better chance of finding a place where they can be successful if they talk to someone on the staff at other universities. The student might well discover their current situation is better after all upon having such conversations.

And you have not addressed the point about other students who have the option to talk to someone about a possible move that might benefit them.

Also, as I clearly stated, a professional career in basketball and athletics extends far beyond the WNBA, or even overseas professional leagues. College and high school coaching is a common step for many athletes, and athletic administration is also a viable career.

It's not as if every art major gets a career in art, or every anthropology major gets a career in anthropology. Having basketball as the main focus on one's collegiate experience is no better or worse than having drama as the focus -- and of course, a drama student can talk to professors at other colleges about the differences in the drama offerings (film acting, say, as opposed to stage).

Generally, you have pretty good arguments, but this time it seems like you're just trying to justify your affection for the system as it is rather than countering the points made by those who disagree with you. It's fine to like the system the way it is, warts and all, but that doesn't mean no other possible system couldn't be an improvement.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 06/22/15 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: