RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Lexie Brown asking for Release from Maryland WBB
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geeceem

PostPosted: 06/16/15 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
Maybe Maryland can go after Jessica Washington because she still available.

Ack! JW couldn't even crack the starting lineup last year in Chapel Hill. She averaged 18.3 minutes/game, shot a not-horrible 36.4% from the 3 pt. line, had a horrible 59.5% FT, and had 37 assists and 48 turnovers. (Lexie averaged 31.8 minutes/game, shot 34.5% from 3pt., 83% FT, and had 163 assists against 97 turnovers.) The only enhancement JW would bring to MD is to raise the number of Twitter followers.

And SB is right: the Tarheels are potentially facing an enforced absence from post-season play for a while. If you want to go to the NCAAs, Chapel Hill is not on your hot list.

I don't know what Lexie sees in Duke's WBB program either, but if she can maintain her level of performance, she'll nevertheless attract attention in the WNBA draft--if indeed that is her basketball goal. It was a pleasure to watch her coolness under fire and I can only wish her well wherever she goes.

Wiseone1

PostPosted: 06/17/15 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

xwomynjoc wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
has any Maryland/ Brenda Frese player ever mad a USAB team? outside of Langhorn? maybe with her Dad working in the NBA and her mom home alone maybe with younger siblings Lexie has to move back home and really be there for her family.

I was just reading over this thread and saw that you had a question about any other MD players making a USAB team. I thought I'd give you an answer to that. Yes, Marissa Coleman was on the 2007 Pan Am team and Lynetta Kizer was on the 2011 World University team. Langhorne was on the U19 team in 2005.

Lynetta Kizer also won Gold at 2008 U18 FIBA as well as 2007 USA Basketball Youth Development Team

terpsforever

PostPosted: 06/17/15 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lexie Brown to Duke...days later...still makes no sense to me. A no offense school...don't see how her game improves at Duke. But..I still like her and will root for her. Head scratcher though from just a basketball standpoint.

Howee

PostPosted: 06/17/15 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

terpsforever wrote:
Lexie Brown to Duke...days later...still makes no sense to me. A no offense school...don't see how her game improves at Duke. But..I still like her and will root for her. Head scratcher though from just a basketball standpoint.

I certainly don't get it. I do hope things go well for her, but....I just see the huge potential for her career to do a sideways spiral, not upward. Hope I'm wrong.

(This also makes me think: these kids are 'connected', right? Through social media, AND their histories in AAU, don't you think any of the not-so-happy kids already at Duke (or freshly transferred out of Duke) might have talked to Lexie, to fill her in?)

PostPosted: 06/18/15 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
(This also makes me think: these kids are 'connected', right? Through social media, AND their histories in AAU, don't you think any of the not-so-happy kids already at Duke (or freshly transferred out of Duke) might have talked to Lexie, to fill her in?)

Seems like there have also been a lot of transfers from Maryland as well right? I mean, I haven't heard many good things about Brenda.

geeceem

PostPosted: 06/18/15 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Howee wrote:

Seems like there have also been a lot of transfers from Maryland as well right? I mean, I haven't heard many good things about Brenda.

Recent transfers out of MD include Natasha Cloud, who is now playing for the Mystics, who transferred to St. Joe's; Whitney Bays, who transferred to Purdue; and Jackie Nared, who transferred to St. Mary's in CA. Before these two, Marah Strickland and Drey Mingo transferred out.

Natasha had a family situation and being at St. Joe's kept her close to her family; I have no idea why Whitney Bays transferred; Jackie Nared was a Left Coaster to begin with and was rumored to have wanted to be closer to her BF.

In terms of on-court demeanor, I haven't seen Brenda scream at or demean her players in the way I've seen some other ACC coaches do. The team's public face is very familial; they really seem to enjoy each other's company, with Brenda and her twin boys generally right in the thick of things. My wife belongs to the boosters' club and so gets to see and hear more than those of us who sit in the cheap seats and/or watch streaming video. She says "They love her...."

Nevertheless, the mix just isn't right for some, and they transfer. It happens.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/18/15 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

geeceem wrote:
with Brenda and her twin boys generally right in the thick of things. My wife belongs to the boosters' club and so gets to see and hear more than those of us who sit in the cheap seats and/or watch streaming video. She says "They love her...."

Maybe some of them tire with it always be all about Brenda. I could see how the cheerleader thing could get old after a while.

I was also suprised by Thomas's recent comments about Brown which suggested that things may not be quite as they seem and that the whole "we're all just one big happy family" thing might be a bit of a charade.

geeceem

PostPosted: 06/18/15 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
geeceem wrote:
with Brenda and her twin boys generally right in the thick of things. My wife belongs to the boosters' club and so gets to see and hear more than those of us who sit in the cheap seats and/or watch streaming video. She says "They love her...."

Maybe some of them tire with it always be all about Brenda. I could see how the cheerleader thing could get old after a while.

I was also suprised by Thomas's recent comments about Brown which suggested that things may not be quite as they seem and that the whole "we're all just one big happy family" thing might be a bit of a charade.

I apparently haven't seen the comments you're referring to. Do you have a link?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/18/15 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

geeceem wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
geeceem wrote:

In this thread on May 28:

dtsnms wrote:
Interesting "twist" for lack of a better word.

Alyssa Thomas told me last night she's not surprised at all, that Lexie never really "fit in" there.

She also laughed at the idea of Brown and Davis going to the same school saying "not enough basketballs"

geeceem

PostPosted: 06/18/15 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
geeceem wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
geeceem wrote:

In this thread on May 28:

dtsnms wrote:
Interesting "twist" for lack of a better word.

Alyssa Thomas told me last night she's not surprised at all, that Lexie never really "fit in" there.

She also laughed at the idea of Brown and Davis going to the same school saying "not enough basketballs"

OK, thanks. On June 3, Gene Wang had an article in the Amazon/Washington Post approaching the same point, saying that Lexie's departure was a disappointment, but not a shock to her teammates.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/wp/2015/06/03/departure-of-lexie-brown-disappointed-but-didnt-shock-maryland-womens-basketball-team/

Difficult to see this as an indicator of a broader malaise in the team. I still tend to read Lexie's choice of the Duke program as indicating that there are off-court issues in play.

i'm not a dyed-in-the-wool Brenda defender: the rah rah stuff makes me crazy, but then I'm introverted and disliked rah rah before I ever heard of Brenda. What concerns me is whether she has the chops to take her teams to the next level, Lexie or no Lexie.

terpsforever

PostPosted: 06/18/15 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

I certainly don't get it. I do hope things go well for her, but....I just see the huge potential for her career to do a sideways spiral, not upward. Hope I'm wrong.

I hope her career doesn't go sideways too...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: