RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Diamond DeShields impact on Tennessee
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 06/17/15 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DeShields provides a proven perimeter scorer for Tennessee which they can use. IMO if Russell is truly healthy (which means possibly healthIER than she has ever been at UT) she may prove to be a bigger addition to the Lady Vols next season.

Tennessee lost Harrison who was heads and shoulders their best post player, plus Burdick who was one of their top rebounders last season. Both Harrison and Burdick were UT's top 2 rebounders. Even with a healthy Russell UT is a bit thin at the post position, so especially if Russell can stay on the floor all season and play to her best ability, that will be important to UT's prospects in 2015-16.

DeShields hopefully will learn to be more efficient with her shot selection, and not require to shoot so much to score her points next season. USC will have a similar situation in 2016-17 once Kaela Davis is active to play, but IMO both situations are different because in USC's case, Dawn Staley is more of a disciplinarian coach that preaches defense above all else, and likes balanced, efficient offense. Don't know what kind of HC at GT Davis had. While at UNC Hatchell is more of a wide-open, almost street-ball style which let players - not just DeShields - have open rein to take shots from everywhere. I think Warlick is more of a disciplinarian offensively than Hatchell is, but then she was Meagan Simmons' coach.

The other thing is, I don't think Davis had the surrounding cast at GT like she will have at USC. DeShields will have great talent surrounding her at UT, but then she also had that at UNC.....

But Tennesse is always very tough and very proud, and I have no doubt they will be again for next season....

coffy73

PostPosted: 06/17/15 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DeShields also provides leadership which Tenn. has lacked for a long time! It's like no one has wanted to put the team on their back and say "let's go!" when it was needed. Diamond is that type of player, so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing if she does that for the Lady Vols.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: