RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Kaela Davis leaves Georgia Tech
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 05/31/15 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
PS- Dawn just doesn't have an eye on UCONN but others as well. Have you seen the success that Jeff is having at Louisville and Muffet at ND with their recent recruiting. As the man would say, whoa Nelly.

Never mind Jeff and Muff--they're understandable....Dawn (and the rest of the bball universe) should be scratching their heads about what Joanne P is doing, to get HER recruits as she does. Shocked Razz

PostPosted: 06/01/15 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I've yet to hear anything bad about Kaela

She quit her nationally ranked high school team in midseason of her senior year because she didn't like the coach ...

That counts as a major negative for me.

PostPosted: 06/01/15 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember all that. In fact they waited just long enough for the Mickey Ds and then quit.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 06/01/15 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Quote:

She quit her nationally ranked high school team in midseason of her senior year because she didn't like the coach ...

sounds like a NBA player.
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 06/05/15 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PhillyCat wrote:
]
Howee wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:
As I posted last week, this makes sense. It's a risky move for Staley but one she needs to take.

I'm curious: why do you think she *needs* this? I mean, it certainly could be an asset, but .... necessary?

Dawn has created a buzz and expectations and she needs to have the players to match those expectations. She signed one player in 2015 (Canadian guard who may be good but not great) and has yet to get any commitments from the 2016 class. After next season SC loses All-American Tiff Mitchell, K Sessions, Tina Roy and Asia Dozier. That leaves a group of guards/wings named Cuevas, Farmer, Duckett and Cliney, none of whom will cause opposing coaches to think twice about doubling Wilson. Davis is a player who takes a ton of shots, misses 2/3 of them and commits 2 turnovers for every 1 assist. This will be interesting to watch without factoring in Kendra Davis...

Staley admitted herself that she had too many players on the roster last season. She prefers a roster of around 12 players, but had 14 scholarship players plus 1 walk-on. Even with one being red-shirted (Cliney), one effectively red-shirted but did play sparingly (Duckett), and one who was expected to play much more but dealt with injury and illness which impacted her development (White), Staley pretty much had 2 capable starting units to switch out throughout games. I also forgot reserve PG Tiffany Davis also played very little as well.

Incoming 2016 freshman Canadian Shay Colley is a 5* rated prospect according to Canadian sites I've seen, and is higher-regarded as a prospect than 2014's Kia Nurse was. She has been a Captain of several of the age-group national teams she has played on, and was selected for Canada's National Team. She also will be 20 yrs old her freshman season from what I've read, and will not be the green, awkward kid coming into the college ranks like so many others typically are. Unfortunately for her ESPN won't assist South Carolina like they often do Connecticutt, so they won't add her to their Hoopgurlz rankings of USA prospects like they did Nurse...

The 2015 cycle wasn't necessary for a huge class for Staley, just as the 2013 class wasn't for CT. Staley will however need to bring in 2-3 for the '16 cycle, and then again for the '18 cycle if she wants her program to maintain their new level towards the top in wcbb. And USC IS in solid to great standing with a number of top prospects in the '16 class. Expect to start hearing news about them in the late summer-early fall. The early signing period is in November....

Durantula

PostPosted: 06/05/15 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If USC was in such good shape with the top 2016 recruits I don't think they would risk taking transfers like Davis and potentially Brown. Staley had a tweet today alluding to a new recruit so I'm assuming its Brown?

USC isn't going to get Lauren Cox, doubt they get Joyner Holmes, Natalie Chou, I mean who are the top kids they have a good shot for? They have done a great job locally but the 2015 2016 2017 classes in SC are down so that is the problem and outside of transfers Dawn hasn't shown she can recruit nationally. She can recruit regionally for sure but SC is not TX FL CA, powerhouse states for basketball.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 06/05/15 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
If USC was in such good shape with the top 2016 recruits I don't think they would risk taking transfers like Davis and potentially Brown. Staley had a tweet today alluding to a new recruit so I'm assuming its Brown?

USC isn't going to get Lauren Cox, doubt they get Joyner Holmes, Natalie Chou, I mean who are the top kids they have a good shot for? They have done a great job locally but the 2015 2016 2017 classes in SC are down so that is the problem and outside of transfers Dawn hasn't shown she can recruit nationally. She can recruit regionally for sure but SC is not TX FL CA, powerhouse states for basketball.

Staley got Kelsey Bone out of TX back when USC was having losing seasons - Bone was the #2 overall prospect behind only Griner. She also got Cuevas who was a 5* McD AA out of NY, so the facts don't support your opinion....

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/05/15 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Staley got Kelsey Bone out of TX back when USC was having losing seasons - Bone was the #2 overall prospect behind only Griner. She also got Cuevas who was a 5* McD AA out of NY, so the facts don't support your opinion....

Hoopgurlz had 52 five star recruits that year. The value of that has been significantly diluted. What top schools were chasing her?

Durantula

PostPosted: 06/06/15 6:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Bone had some red flags in terms of attitude and she was one of the rare players who strung out their recruiting until the spring of her senior year so many of the top teams didn't bother. I guess you can give Staley credit for getting her but how long did she stay there, one year? Great pick up...

And Cuevas was #35 by ESPN, you beat out Ole Miss and Kentucky for her. She had some question marks on and off the court that kept teams away.

Nazareth High School junior guard Bianca Cuevas was banned from playing the rest of the season on Friday by a panel that oversees the Brooklyn-Queens Catholic High School girls basketball league because she took part in a post-game fight with Bishop Ford guard Aaliyah Jones after a game on Feb. 3.

It was the second time this season that Cuevas was scolded by officials for turning to fisticuffs. She was suspended two games for throwing a punch at Bishop Loughlins Imani Tate during a game in late January, but Nazareth athletic director Anthony Barnes says this time his player did what she had to do.

Howee

PostPosted: 06/06/15 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
It was the second time this season that Cuevas was scolded by officials for turning to fisticuffs. She was suspended two games for throwing a punch at Bishop Loughlins Imani Tate during a game in late January, but Nazareth athletic director Anthony Barnes says this time his player did what she had to do. [/i]

I'm surprised that Hatchell wasn't all over that, getting her to UNC. Razz

PostPosted: 06/07/15 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:
]
Howee wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:
As I posted last week, this makes sense. It's a risky move for Staley but one she needs to take.

I'm curious: why do you think she *needs* this? I mean, it certainly could be an asset, but .... necessary?

Dawn has created a buzz and expectations and she needs to have the players to match those expectations. She signed one player in 2015 (Canadian guard who may be good but not great) and has yet to get any commitments from the 2016 class. After next season SC loses All-American Tiff Mitchell, K Sessions, Tina Roy and Asia Dozier. That leaves a group of guards/wings named Cuevas, Farmer, Duckett and Cliney, none of whom will cause opposing coaches to think twice about doubling Wilson. Davis is a player who takes a ton of shots, misses 2/3 of them and commits 2 turnovers for every 1 assist. This will be interesting to watch without factoring in Kendra Davis...

Staley admitted herself that she had too many players on the roster last season. She prefers a roster of around 12 players, but had 14 scholarship players plus 1 walk-on. Even with one being red-shirted (Cliney), one effectively red-shirted but did play sparingly (Duckett), and one who was expected to play much more but dealt with injury and illness which impacted her development (White), Staley pretty much had 2 capable starting units to switch out throughout games. I also forgot reserve PG Tiffany Davis also played very little as well.

Incoming 2016 freshman Canadian Shay Colley is a 5* rated prospect according to Canadian sites I've seen, and is higher-regarded as a prospect than 2014's Kia Nurse was. She has been a Captain of several of the age-group national teams she has played on, and was selected for Canada's National Team. She also will be 20 yrs old her freshman season from what I've read, and will not be the green, awkward kid coming into the college ranks like so many others typically are. Unfortunately for her ESPN won't assist South Carolina like they often do Connecticutt, so they won't add her to their Hoopgurlz rankings of USA prospects like they did Nurse...

The 2015 cycle wasn't necessary for a huge class for Staley, just as the 2013 class wasn't for CT. Staley will however need to bring in 2-3 for the '16 cycle, and then again for the '18 cycle if she wants her program to maintain their new level towards the top in wcbb. And USC IS in solid to great standing with a number of top prospects in the '16 class. Expect to start hearing news about them in the late summer-early fall. The early signing period is in November....

Nurse and Colley are roughly the same age (Nurse is 6 weeks older), but it was Nurse not Colley who made the Sr National Team while in high school. Colley reclassified to the 2015 class as I recall. Clearly Team Canada's views differed from those of the Canadian recruiting services you mention. I'm a bit confused about Colley's status on Team Canada. Dawn tweeted that she would be playing with Canada Sr Nat'l team in the Pan Am games yet Colley didn't play in the most recent European tour. Moreover, it is my understanding Colley is currently trying out for Canada's WUGs team which suggests she won't be playing for Team Canada at the PAG. In any event, I look forward to seeing her play for SC in the upcoming season.

I'm not exactly sure how you think ESPN assisted UConn with its ranking of Nurse. First, I highly doubt ESPN tells Dan Olson how to rank recruits. Hoopgurlz is simply a name that ESPN owns and provides a platform for Olson's rankings. Second, at the time Nurse committed to UConn she was already ranked by ASGR (#14) and Bluestar (#11) and was considered a 5* by PN; HG ranked her #156. HG subsequently moved her up to #33 but that was still below the rankings by the other services and it was after Nurse had played in the FIBA Americas tournament (Olympic qualifier) as a high school kid. Maybe Olson thought her play was worthy of a bump in her ranking and maybe Olson hasn't seen Colley play. Why is this an ESPN issue? Did the other services rank Colley? Your point seems to be more than a stretch.

TigerVol

PostPosted: 06/08/15 7:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Quote:

Doubt that was all Kaela.

Things would need to be REALLY bad for my parents to let me quit my team in season.

But to your point I'm speaking of only the college fans who were accused of sour grapes. I'm sure those on or associated with her HS team have a different perspective. Still hard to know where the parents end and kid begins...hence not worth the risk from a UT perspective.

PostPosted: 06/10/15 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Hoopgurlz had 52 five star recruits that year. The value of that has been significantly diluted. What top schools were chasing her?

Cuevas was also a McDonalds All American, so the question of "can Staley recruit top players out of SC is answered here just the same. She had offers from Mississippi, UK, LSU, UT, UL, GT, Georgetown, Rutgers, Miami, Syracuse, Ohio St., St. Johns, and WVA among others...

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 06/10/15 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

Bone had some red flags in terms of attitude and she was one of the rare players who strung out their recruiting until the spring of her senior year so many of the top teams didn't bother. I guess you can give Staley credit for getting her but how long did she stay there, one year? Great pick up...

And Cuevas was #35 by ESPN, you beat out Ole Miss and Kentucky for her. She had some question marks on and off the court that kept teams away.

Nazareth High School junior guard Bianca Cuevas was banned from playing the rest of the season on Friday by a panel that oversees the Brooklyn-Queens Catholic High School girls basketball league because she took part in a post-game fight with Bishop Ford guard Aaliyah Jones after a game on Feb. 3.

It was the second time this season that Cuevas was scolded by officials for turning to fisticuffs. She was suspended two games for throwing a punch at Bishop Loughlins Imani Tate during a game in late January, but Nazareth athletic director Anthony Barnes says this time his player did what she had to do.

You just made up stuff there, didn't you? Bone was lauded in high school as a player with GREAT leadership skills, team work and attitude. Attitude was never an issue at USC nor at Texas A&M, where she developed as a team leader there. I never heard or read of ANY attitude issues regarding Bone. Here is ESPN's Hoopsgurlz assessment of her while a high school prospect:

Quote:
Kelsey Bone, is a 6-foot-3 post out of Stafford, Texas.

The most striking aspect of Bone as a prospect is her maturity, leadership abilities and communication skills - many of which are unusual for a post. In fact, the way Bone communicates on defense, as the backbone of any defense, is a coach's dream. She also is competitive, gregarious and caring - three huge qualities for leadership in a female game.

Unless you care to share this information you have? And one can't really fault Staley and USC for losing Bone to severe homesickness, something that even the player herself didn't expect to deal with. Again, it answered completely the question put forth above about Dawn Staley's recruiting abilities....

As for Cuevas I already commented about that above: Ole Miss was #2 for Cuevas due to having some familiarity connections on the staff there, but we didn't beat out 2 teams for her, we beat out 15+....

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 06/10/15 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
Durantula wrote:

It's pretty shady that because a player doesn't do the normal thing, like sign when all the other girls in her class sign, she has to have an attitude problem, I've seen nothing that would make me think Bone had red flags.
Durantula

PostPosted: 06/10/15 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Durantula wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
Durantula wrote:

It's pretty shady that because a player doesn't do the normal thing, like sign when all the other girls in her class sign, she has to have an attitude problem, I've seen nothing that would make me think Bone had red flags.

Taken out of context but ok. Those were two separate thoughts, I didn't hear about attitude problems because she signed late. And the old thing of oh I found an article that says this player is super is really fun because almost every big time player has a write up like that but it doesn't mean they can't have any issues.

South Carolina is good for like 2 years and now all these fans come out of the woodwork and act like gurus. Cuevas may have had a lot of offers but there is a difference between schools offering and schools pushing for a player. I don't think UConn, ND, Duke, Maryland, Baylor, etc. were pushing for Cuevas.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 06/10/15 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

Taken out of context but ok. Those were two separate thoughts, I didn't hear about attitude problems because she signed late. And the old thing of oh I found an article that says this player is super is really fun because almost every big time player has a write up like that but it doesn't mean they can't have any issues.

South Carolina is good for like 2 years and now all these fans come out of the woodwork and act like gurus. Cuevas may have had a lot of offers but there is a difference between schools offering and schools pushing for a player. I don't think UConn, ND, Duke, Maryland, Baylor, etc. were pushing for Cuevas.

Pretty convenient response from you, considering that you haven't found ANYTHING much less an "old" article - Bone has been out of the collegiate game for 3 years now, and you WERE talking about her high school recruitment process - to support your side of the story. But that's OK: keep shoving your foot in your mouth deeper. I'm sure there's more room in there.....

And if your comments about Bone having attitude issues were taken out of context, then please clarify so we can understand what you REALLY meant to say. I'm all for some more entertainment...

This thread is about South Carolina's women's basketball program. Someone who is ignorant but tries to portray themselves as something other than that posts an irresponsible statement that they have zero intention of backing up, and now they don't like "all these fans" coming out of the woodwork. Seems to me you get what you ask for.

There were some 340+ Division I programs for wcbb last season. I named 15 or so of them that recruited Cuevas. I'm sure you or someone else could list 15 or so programs that did not. What does that all mean in the end? Nothing much. It only served more than adequately to show your comments are a bit south of intelligent. Now go find me a prep recruit that received 340 scholarship offers in the 2014 cycle.....

Last edited by Conway Gamecock on 06/10/15 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Durantula

PostPosted: 06/10/15 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Pretty convenient response from you, considering that you haven't found ANYTHING much less an "old" article - Bone has been out of the collegiate game for 3 years now, and you WERE talking about her high school recruitment process - to support your side of the story. But that's OK: keep shoving your foot in your mouth deeper. I'm sure there's more room in there.....

It's not a convenient response, its a message board, I said what I had heard, that's what you do on a board like this. It is not even central to the discussion about Kaela Davis but you keep dragging on about it.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 06/10/15 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

It's not a convenient response, its a message board, I said what I had heard, that's what you do on a board like this. It is not even central to the discussion about Kaela Davis but you keep dragging on about it.

Because as you said, this is a message board, and all this about Bone was started when YOU responded to my above post with your challenge about Staley's ability to recruit top prospects outside of SC or NC. It was YOU that took this thread to it's current path, lol.....

it's a big difference with msg board posting to say:

Quote:
I heard that Bone had some red flags in terms of attitude

and saying:

Quote:
Bone had some red flags in terms of attitude

The first is just relaying questionable rumor, that can easily be dismissed. The 2nd (which is what you posted) is presented as declarative fact, meaning you're representing it as truth, which it was anything but. When you post unconfirmed things like that, best be prepared to back up your statements and take on some ridicule if you're unable to.....

Durantula

PostPosted: 06/10/15 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OMG, I omitted the word I heard and you are obsessed with it.

http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=122767&page=4
Those who follow her on Twitter already know she doesn't like Columbia - hasn't since she's been here

http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=122767&page=5
The word is KB and her Mother tried to tell Staley how to run her Team and were making demands of some sort and Staley said see ya.

And why are you saying for sure she left because she was homesick? Staley thought it was because they weren't winning. YOU SHOULD HAVE SAID YOU HEARD!!! j/k

Staley gave no specific reason for Bone's transfer, but indicated the Gamecocks' failure to reach the postseason impacted Bone's decision.

"Sometimes when you don't win as many games as you would like and you don't go to the NCAA tournament or NIT, sometimes you start thinking about that as a coach or as a player," Staley said. "I'm quite sure that maybe played a role in it, but I don't know how significant."

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/incoming/article14382020.html#storylink=cpy

Look I am done with the parsing of a word or two here if you want to discuss this more feel free to send me a personal message OK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: