RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

University of Illinois Controversy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durantula

PostPosted: 05/18/15 5:56 pm    ::: University of Illinois Controversy Reply Reply with quote

Pretty damning article here from the UI student paper. http://www.dailyillini.com/article/2015/05/updated-illinois-womens-basketball-assistant-coach-leaves-program-under-storm-of-accusations

Then after that article another paper has gotten the letters written from three parents. http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/illini-sports/womens-basketball/2015-05-18/letters-regarding-ui-womens-basketball-program.htm

It certainly looks like the assistant coach is the fall man for the head coach. Whenever the article says Bollant and Divilbiss did something, to me the head coach deserves the brunt of the blame because its his program. The assistant isn't doing this stuff with the head coach unless the head coach knows and approves of these actions.

Illinois said no violations were found, but how is this possible?

-Bollant and Divilbiss enforced what was called the “Dog Pound.” The “Dog Pound” was the team’s group of nonstarters, and was required to go to extra practices.......... Isn't there a limit on the number of hours you can do basketball related stuff in season? If part of the team has to go through hours of extra practice I find it hard to believe they didn't go over that limit.

-Lydia Tuck added that Bollant took seven players to get massages during the team’s trip to the Virgin Islands in November. She said that Bollant admitted it was wrong when she confronted him about it, but according to records obtained by The Daily Illini under the Freedom of Information Act, the University did not self-report any massages in its annual collection of self-reported violations. Benefits provided to some members of the team but not others — including any student managers on scholarship — is an NCAA violation. .......maybe the article is wrong but they say its a violation but Illinois officials did an investigation and found no violations?

Forcing the girls to play with the serious injuries is the worst part and that falls on the head coach. No assistant has enough clout to do that stuff. Good luck to Bollant trying to recruit going forward. The race relations stuff was most interesting because this current UI staff has no success recruiting the traditionally strong Chicago high school leagues.

Durantula

PostPosted: 05/18/15 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And talk about bad timing, Champaign, IL is home to top 10 junior Tori McCoy, who the new Illinois staff has recruited very hard from the time they got the job. I just do not see any way they get her now and Illinois supposedly has no traction with Chicago area kids prospects such as Kiara Lewis, Nicole Ekhomu and others. But given how they talk down on kids from Chicago's west side their recruiting over there is over.

LaKeisha Coleman referred to a similar situation that Amarah went through. LaKeisha said that coaches would often reference player’s hometown neighborhoods, particularly the West side of Chicago.

“(Coaches) joked about, ‘Oh well, we are playing an all-black team now, they think they are going to run over us, but we are going to put the girls from the West side out on them,” Coleman said. “

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/18/15 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is extremely ugly, and if the accusations can be substantiated (document, document, document, as every nurse and lawyer know!) Bollant and Illinois are in a heap of trouble. If things aren't documented, it turns into "he said, she said". But it sounds like the NCAA needs to get involved, and fast, because it also sounds like there may be some NCAA violations in the mix.

Forcing players to play with serious injuries, that's criminal. If one of them were my kid, I would be raising holy hell and its seven devils, and being a nurse, I know ALL about documentation. This sounds BAD.

PostPosted: 05/18/15 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Fellowship of Christian Athletes is set to present its annual Kay Yow Heart of a Coach Award to an outstanding coach for his leadership, dedication and commitment both on and off the court.

The 2015 Kay Yow Heart of a Coach Award will be presented to Matt Bollant, head coach for the University of Illinois' women's basketball team. The Kay Yow ceremony is set for Tampa, Fla., on Sunday, April 5 during the FCA Breakfast at the Women's Basketball Coaches Association convention at the Tampa Marriott Waterside.

The last two years I think you can say the Kay Yow award is like the Sports Illustrated cover jinx. This year it's Bollant's mess but last year's winner was Kristy Curry, who got a lot of heat for not allowing the release of one of her players who transferred to Seton Hall to be closer to an ailing family member. Maybe they can revoke the award for 2015 and give it to someone who is more deserving of it?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/18/15 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
The Fellowship of Christian Athletes is set to present its annual Kay Yow Heart of a Coach Award to an outstanding coach for his leadership, dedication and commitment both on and off the court.

The 2015 Kay Yow Heart of a Coach Award will be presented to Matt Bollant, head coach for the University of Illinois' women's basketball team. The Kay Yow ceremony is set for Tampa, Fla., on Sunday, April 5 during the FCA Breakfast at the Women's Basketball Coaches Association convention at the Tampa Marriott Waterside.

The last two years I think you can say the Kay Yow award is like the Sports Illustrated cover jinx. This year it's Bollant's mess but last year's winner was Kristy Curry, who got a lot of heat for not allowing the release of one of her players who transferred to Seton Hall to be closer to an ailing family member. Maybe they can revoke the award for 2015 and give it to someone who is more deserving of it?

Well, they could have given last year's to Jeff Mittie of KSU Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 05/18/15 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have been the one solid Illini fan on this board and I love University of Illinois with all of my heart but I will NOT support a regime that supports and promotes bigotry and abuse. Matt Bollant, your time is up.

PostPosted: 05/18/15 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. I happen to know the Tuck family personally and for them to take the step of writing that letter really tells me it was bad. This is a very ugly situation and I highly doubt the release of one coach is going to make this just go away.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/18/15 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
There was not one team. It was grossly divided by old culture and new culture. Even though Taylor was brought in by coach Bollant she was classified with the black girls as CRABS because of their style of play. Racism comes in all kinds of forms and racism was a horrible issue with the U of I basketball program.

Ug-ug-ugly.

Quote:

to become what they wanted. Taylor was confronted by the alcoholic point guard (captain) and was asked if she respected her? Taylor replied that she respected her as a player but not as a person. The point guard demanded that she write everything down and get back to her. She harassed my daughter for weeks and finally gave up. Taylor was afraid to put it in writing for fear that it would get back to the coaches and she would be punished as was the norm for crossing this captain. This is the same player that Taylor says, "She acts inappropriate with coach Divilbliss and it is uncomfortable to be around. She is always in his office and they are too touchy feely for me. They swear at each other. lt is creepy and disgusting.

Dirty laundry everywhere!

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 05/19/15 5:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone ever learn?
dtrain34

PostPosted: 05/19/15 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perfect example of a seldom-discussed downside of college sports: Many coaches are in it for the wrong reason; to puff their chest out and say *I* did this, *I* got this job, not to help student-athletes improve, much less teach "life lessons."

I coached small college men's ball for 14 years and was content with that level (or at least unwilling to be an assistant in D1, tied to another man's success or failure) but attended all the same recruiting events and Final Fours as the big timers and the phenomenon was inescapable.

One year, a Pac-12 coach had his DOBO position open. When he showed up at Servite High School in Anaheim for a July evaluation event, you would have thought the Pope's new outfit was khaki shorts and a gray t-shirt with a university logo on it so many sychophants lined up to kiss his a... I mean his RING.

The problem, as may be the case at Illinois, is when one of that type -- really good at seeking and getting jobs but maybe not stellar on the practice floor -- achieves his (or her) goal and gets a B1G job and confronts the pressure and the imperfect humanity of his players.

They crack and stuff like this is waiting to happen.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 05/19/15 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a terrible situation. The most striking aspect is that these are three girls were all in very different situations. Taylor Tuck is a senior who has finished her eligibility. She was recruited by former coach Jolette Law. She was a bit of a disappointment as a player, not quite living up to her promise coming out of high school. She is the only one of the three that is African-American. Her minutes dropped off significantly in her senior year (9/game) from her sophomore and junior years (20 and 18 respectively).

Taylor Gleason is the most tragic, a top recruit (#52 in the nation) by Matt Bollant two years ago. She was number 1 academically in her class in high school. She started the final 8 games of her freshman year (which I found surprising after reading her parents letter).

Jacqui Grant is also a sophomore who was a starter both seasons. She was second in rebounding and fourth in scoring this season. She was named most improved in her freshman season.

Despite the differences the stories are all quite similar as to the culture of abuse. While I suspect there was some coordination between the parents (all letters were written within a week of each other), they all seem to support the notion that something is very wrong in Champaign.

One more note I found in delving into the situation at Illinois. Bollant's page on the Illinois website includes the following:
Quote:
Despite taking a step back in wins and losses, the Illini program began to change its culture in the 2013-14 season. The values of hard work, fundamentals, attention to detail and team unity began to pay off as Illinois was much more competitive down the stretch, including a 61-51 win at Michigan State.

"Team unity"? "More competitive down the stretch"? The Michigan State was their last win before the Illini lost their last ten games.

One thing I couldn't find was how long he had left on his contract, but it seems he should be gone very soon.

Durantula

PostPosted: 05/19/15 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bollant signed a 6 year deal and has been at Illinois through three seasons. With all the transfers and graduation losses I just don't see them making the NCAA tournament, so that would be four years at Illinois with no NCAA's.

I don't see how he will recruit players with numerous power 5 offers after this controversy. Given that, if Illinois doesn't fire him for this, I don't see him lasting past the next three years. It will hurt Illinois recruiting not just because of all these articles and the bad things that happened but no one wants to play for a coach who only has a year or two on his deal with no extension in sight.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/20/15 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And lawsuits.

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-83586625/

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/20/15 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This could get REALLY ugly (as if it weren't already). I'm sure the coaching staff will try to throw all the shade on DeVilbiss and then also claim that the player "wanted" to play hurt; isn't that the standard M.O. for this type of thing? But ultimately it's on Bollant and it might be interesting to watch him try to wiggle out of it. As I said in an earlier post, I used to think rather highly of him as a coach. No more.

PostPosted: 05/20/15 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
And lawsuits.

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-83586625/

I'm not sure that this report is adding anything. The Tribune doesn't even name the player (almost certainly Taylor Gleason) and her parents had already threatened legal action in their letter to the University.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/28/15 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My gut feeling is that Bollant will have one more year at Illinois which will be a disaster at which time he will be removed for failure to perform.

I also predict that all the players who transferred will be allowed to play next season on hardship waiver.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/29/15 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't stop by ESPN-W very often in the summer but I did happen to wander by today looking for something on the Lady Vols' softball journey (they're in the WCWS). So I nipped on over to the women's hoops page, and I tell ya, you really have to admire their understatement sometimes. On the initial Illinois tory, the headline reads: "Illinois assistant coach Mike Divilbiss leaves amid player concerns". "Player concerns"? Really?

In the next day's story, the Illinois AD is quoted as saying that the allegations of player abuse on the Illinois football team and on the women's basketball team are a "coincidence". Really? Couldn't possibly be a culture in the athletic department that allows this sort of thing to go on, could there? Nah, never happen. And interestingly, the same firm is investigating both cases. Of course they are.
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12914436/illinois-investigation-widens-football-women-hoops

Not quite so much understatement in the headline of a couple of days ago: http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/12956398/illinois-fighting-illini-increasing-support-efforts-following-athletes-allegations-abuse
Of course the AD is still whining because the players didn't come to the athletic department with their concerns first......but seriously, folks, where does anyone think those "concerns" would have gone except straight under the rug? Not sure their "efforts" are exactly in good faith, either; they sound like so much window dressing to me, but we'll see what happens. I expect things to get much uglier first.

PostPosted: 05/29/15 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
My gut feeling is that Bollant will have one more year at Illinois which will be a disaster at which time he will be removed for failure to perform.

I also predict that all the players who transferred will be allowed to play next season on hardship waiver.

Illinois keeping Bollant tells me they just don't care about the program. Some of the stuff said about African American players is just sad. I don't see how any good player with options will pick Illinois going forward, and good luck recruiting Chicago after the comments made by their staff.

Illinois has an opening on their staff but who the heck would join now to join with no job security? And I want to know how fellow coaches will react to him when they see him out on the recruiting trails in about a month.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/30/15 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Illinois keeping Bollant tells me they just don't care about the program. Some of the stuff said about African American players is just sad. I don't see how any good player with options will pick Illinois going forward, and good luck recruiting Chicago after the comments made by their staff.

Illinois has an opening on their staff but who the heck would join now to join with no job security? And I want to know how fellow coaches will react to him when they see him out on the recruiting trails in about a month.

If I were a coach, whether established or just starting out, I would stay as far away as I could from Illinois and Matt Bollant right now. He has definitely fouled his nest, whatever the future findings turn out to be (and I expect the university's "investigation" to be pretty much of a whitewash, as those things usually are). The lawsuits, on the other hand.....those could get interesting, if they ever make it to court, which they probably won't.....

PostPosted: 06/01/15 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Supposedly, the last under-performing coaches in MBB, WBB, and football at Illinois were kept on a year or two past the time everyone knew they had outlived their welcome so that the new AD could fire them all and get in his "type" of coach. Since he was obviously looking for a very distinct type of individual, it's not a huge surprise that both the football and WBB are getting the same criticisms.

FWIW, the rumor is that the same thing is about to happen at Purdue, they are waiting for a new AD to clean house.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 06/01/15 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Capri wrote:
Supposedly, the last under-performing coaches in MBB, WBB, and football at Illinois were kept on a year or two past the time everyone knew they had outlived their welcome so that the new AD could fire them all and get in his "type" of coach. Since he was obviously looking for a very distinct type of individual, it's not a huge surprise that both the football and WBB are getting the same criticisms.

FWIW, the rumor is that the same thing is about to happen at Purdue, they are waiting for a new AD to clean house.

We could use that for WBB...but I think it's too early for football (Hazell has only been there 2 years and the team is performing better) and men's basketball had a good year and Painter will have one of his strongest teams this year coming up.

Durantula

PostPosted: 06/01/15 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Capri wrote:

We could use that for WBB...but I think it's too early for football (Hazell has only been there 2 years and the team is performing better) and men's basketball had a good year and Painter will have one of his strongest teams this year coming up.

How many years left on Versyp's deal? Thought she got an extension recently but I could be wrong.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 06/01/15 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I don't stop by ESPN-W very often in the summer but I did happen to wander by today looking for something on the Lady Vols' softball journey (they're in the WCWS). So I nipped on over to the women's hoops page, and I tell ya, you really have to admire their understatement sometimes. On the initial Illinois tory, the headline reads: "Illinois assistant coach Mike Divilbiss leaves amid player concerns". "Player concerns"? Really?

In the next day's story, the Illinois AD is quoted as saying that the allegations of player abuse on the Illinois football team and on the women's basketball team are a "coincidence". Really? Couldn't possibly be a culture in the athletic department that allows this sort of thing to go on, could there? Nah, never happen. And interestingly, the same firm is investigating both cases. Of course they are.
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12914436/illinois-investigation-widens-football-women-hoops

Not quite so much understatement in the headline of a couple of days ago: http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/12956398/illinois-fighting-illini-increasing-support-efforts-following-athletes-allegations-abuse
Of course the AD is still whining because the players didn't come to the athletic department with their concerns first[b]......but seriously, folks, where does anyone think those "concerns" would have gone except straight under the rug? [/b]Not sure their "efforts" are exactly in good faith, either; they sound like so much window dressing to me, but we'll see what happens. I expect things to get much uglier first.

Parent and student concerns sent to the AD would go exactly where they've gone at Duke - in the "circular file." Interesting twist at Duke is that it was the white players that have been targeted for most of the abuse, followed by a series of African-American AC's who had the freedom to bail and not having to weigh the value of a Duke degree vs their own happiness. Of course, until any former Duke players or their parents are willing to go public, it's not going anywhere. Duke encouraged JPM to find another job, but either she didn't try too hard or nobody was interested. There were plenty of jobs available for someone of her coaching ability. But, hey, if I were being paid close to 7 figures to spend most of my time playing tennis and golf, maybe I wouldn't be in a hurry to leave either. If the AD had any interest, he could check how she spends her time - zero coaching clinics, zero visits to successful coaches but an amazing number of hours playing tennis.

~rAf
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 06/01/15 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
How many years left on Versyp's deal? Thought she got an extension recently but I could be wrong.

I can't recall exactly, but she has at least another 3 or 4 years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: