RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Alleva acknowledging need to revitalize Tiger program

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/28/15 10:41 am    ::: Alleva acknowledging need to revitalize Tiger program Reply Reply with quote

Whle coming short of saying that it's broken, Alleva does say that an upgrade of LSU's program is necessary. Wants a return to the days of Final Four.

http://www.wafb.com/story/28909909/alleva-lsu-needs-to-revitalize-womens-basketball

goforit77

PostPosted: 04/28/15 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Like he did at Duke....Alleva doesn't care about WBB

Likys

PostPosted: 04/28/15 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They never should have gotten rid of the supporting staff they had. Bob Starkey was fantastic. I don't really have anything against Caldwell, but I don't think she was worth getting rid of the staff for.

They've done okay IMO considering they don't have nearly the kind of talent they had in those days. They went from 2 Olympians and a great supporting cast to not much. SEC is pretty cutthroat to boot. But it's not like Caldwell is working with Final Four talent.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/28/15 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Likys wrote:
They never should have gotten rid of the supporting staff they had. Bob Starkey was fantastic. I don't really have anything against Caldwell, but I don't think she was worth getting rid of the staff for.

They've done okay IMO considering they don't have nearly the kind of talent they had in those days. They went from 2 Olympians and a great supporting cast to not much. SEC is pretty cutthroat to boot. But it's not like Caldwell is working with Final Four talent.

I heard that Starkey was great at coaching up a kid. Was he a solid recruiter as well? Like you pointed out, the talent isn't currently there that was present in Van's early years.

Interestingly, the team Starkey currently assists with hasn't recruited well since their own National Championship run. A&M's classes since Starkey arrived in College Station haven't been spectacular especially when looking at the level of talent coming out of Texas.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/28/15 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Likys wrote:

Whose fault is that?

Recruiting is where it all starts for any college coach. You don't recruit well, you fail. it's really simple. It's not only part of the job, it may be the single most important part of the job.

lsu_tiger87

PostPosted: 04/28/15 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only remaining support staff was Bob Starkey. Christie Sides left with Pokey & Carla Berry vanished without a trace. The talent leftover were Pokey's recruits who were playing for their beloved wrongfully dismissed coach. That scandal hurt LSU, I don't think it's the coaches, but the way everything happened. Pokey was paid out her contract after taking LSU to court. LSU never found any wrongdoing on her behalf, but they did however ruin their own program. Thanks to Vince Lombardi, Systems President at the time.

icey23

PostPosted: 04/28/15 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lsu_tiger87 wrote:
The only remaining support staff was Bob Starkey. Christie Sides left with Pokey & Carla Berry vanished without a trace. The talent leftover were Pokey's recruits who were playing for their beloved wrongfully dismissed coach. That scandal hurt LSU, I don't think it's the coaches, but the way everything happened. Pokey was paid out her contract after taking LSU to court. LSU never found any wrongdoing on her behalf, but they did however ruin their own program. Thanks to Vince Lombardi, Systems President at the time.

Carla Berry is at a HS in Alabama she won a sate title this pass season too, She was at LSU WBB alum day this year also Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 04/28/15 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

icey23 wrote:
lsu_tiger87 wrote:

Carla Berry is at a HS in Alabama she won a sate title this pass season too, She was at LSU WBB alum day this year also Rolling Eyes

I hate her for the pain she's caused the program.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/28/15 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lsu_tiger87 wrote:
Pokey was paid out her contract after taking LSU to court. LSU never found any wrongdoing on her behalf,

I don't think that's exactly correct. It was reported that she settled for the $160, 000 in unpaid salary and postseason bonus for the year she left, but was not paid the $900,000 she claimed for the two additional years remaining on her contract.

And nobody ever proved anything because the lawsuit settled without a trial.

lsu_tiger87

PostPosted: 04/29/15 7:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
lsu_tiger87 wrote:
Pokey was paid out her contract after taking LSU to court. LSU never found any wrongdoing on her behalf,

I don't think that's exactly correct. It was reported that she settled for the $160, 000 in unpaid salary and postseason bonus for the year she left, but was not paid the $900,000 she claimed for the two additional years remaining on her contract.

And nobody ever proved anything because the lawsuit settled without a trial.

True, nothing was proven prior either.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/29/15 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lsu_tiger87 wrote:

Wrongfully dismissed?? Please. The names of the players are out there, and Pokey has never claimed to be innocent of the charges.

PostPosted: 04/29/15 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
lsu_tiger87 wrote:

Wrongfully dismissed?? Please. The names of the players are out there, and Pokey has never claimed to be innocent of the charges.

Wrongfully dismissed in that LSU had no policy regarding such affairs and other LSU employees had engaged in similar activities without being fired. There's a reason LSU settled the lawsuit immediately rather than going to court.

PostPosted: 04/29/15 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ClayK wrote:
lsu_tiger87 wrote:

Wrongfully dismissed in that LSU had no policy regarding such affairs and other LSU employees had engaged in similar activities without being fired. There's a reason LSU settled the lawsuit immediately rather than going to court.

Good point. "Wrongfully dismissed" on legal grounds, as opposed to ethical or behavioral grounds.

PostPosted: 04/29/15 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, let's see if he actually takes it seriously, or if he fucks this up too.

PostPosted: 04/29/15 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
pilight wrote:
ClayK wrote:
lsu_tiger87 wrote:

Good point. "Wrongfully dismissed" on legal grounds, as opposed to ethical or behavioral grounds.

Her lawyer Mary Pierson was quoted at the time as saying:

"If I'd have known on March 7th they didn't have a policy," Pierson said, "she would not have resigned."

That's a pretty far cry from "she didn't do anything".

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/29/15 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ClayK wrote:
lsu_tiger87 wrote:

Probably because it would have cost a lot more than $160,000 to litigate it, and it eliminated any risk of paying the remaining two years. Sounds like a great outcome for the school from where I sit.

lsu_tiger87

PostPosted: 04/29/15 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
pilight wrote:
ClayK wrote:
lsu_tiger87 wrote:

Wrongfully dismissed in that LSU had no policy regarding such affairs and other LSU employees had engaged in similar activities without being fired.

There's a reason LSU settled the lawsuit immediately rather than going to court.

"If I'd have known on March 7th they didn't have a policy," Pierson said, "she would not have resigned."

That's still no admission of guilt!! Pokey also wanted nothing to do with LSU after the allegations because of how she was spied on prior to being forced to resign. All the articles are still there, but none has any quotes from Pokey. Until the player comes forward, these are still just allegations. LSU also settled so Pokey wouldn't file a suit against them. Look it up!! Besides LSU, went to one Final Four after with Pokey's recruits and has failed to make the tournament once. So seems like the University is hurting if Joe Alleva is somehow gonna devise a plan to revitalize the program. All while Pokey's money never stopped. Lol.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/29/15 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lsu_tiger87 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
pilight wrote:
ClayK wrote:
lsu_tiger87 wrote:

Wrongfully dismissed in that LSU had no policy regarding such affairs and other LSU employees had engaged in similar activities without being fired.

There's a reason LSU settled the lawsuit immediately rather than going to court.

That's still no admission of guilt!! Pokey also wanted nothing to do with LSU after the allegations because of how she was spied on prior to being forced to resign. All the articles are still there, but none has any quotes from Pokey. Until the player comes forward, these are still just allegations. LSU also settled so Pokey wouldn't file a suit against them. Look it up!! Besides LSU, went to one Final Four after with Pokey's recruits and has failed to make the tournament once. So seems like the University is hurting if Joe Alleva is somehow gonna devise a plan to revitalize the program. All while Pokey's money never stopped. Lol.

So she got a lot of money ... great. But what she did is still inexcusable and morally indefensible. So the paychecks make it OK from your point of view?

PostPosted: 04/29/15 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
lsu_tiger87 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
pilight wrote:
ClayK wrote:
lsu_tiger87 wrote:

Make what ok? I've never heard any truth. Even the university in which my d

So she got a lot of money ... great. But what she did is still inexcusable and morally indefensible. So the paychecks make it OK from your point of view?

Not from the University, she was employed immediately that fall and still is. So, I have not seen any facts to the who is. So as far as I'm concerned she's innocent. The news reported different accounts each day. Why did LSU settle? Was it because of lack of evidence?

LitePal

PostPosted: 04/29/15 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alleva drank the Kool-Aid and hired Caldwell. She did a great job at UCLA but nowhere near as great as she herself promoted it. Another factor was how laboriously bad those games were. Grind it out defense that made the Rutgers games look like dunk-fests. It's what she knows as a coach and I think it will be tough to change, especially since her own recruiting philosophy favors long, defensive minded players who can't shoot. If the games at LSU are similar, it's no wonder the fans aren't coming. Another serious problem is her ego. On any Nikki Caldwell team, there will be only one diva and that's Caldwell. You can forget someone like Diamond DeShields on the team.

As far as Chatman, there's a reason why everyone's so up in arms about it and we all know that reason. Did you know that Greg Marsden, who just retired from Utah as women's gymnastics coach (10 National Championships) actually courted one of his gymnasts, Megan McCunniff when she was on his team and eventually married her? Where is the outrage there? When he announced his retirement a few weeks ago, it was met with shocked disbelief in Utah. He's beloved and Utah leads the nation in gymnatics attendance. McCunniff said that when he asked her into his office to profess his love, she thought he was pulling her scholarship. When she found out what he wanted, she said she felt like she "was 12 again." Take that however you like it.

icey23

PostPosted: 04/29/15 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Alleva drank the Kool-Aid and hired Caldwell. She did a great job at UCLA but nowhere near as great as she herself promoted it. Another factor was how laboriously bad those games were. Grind it out defense that made the Rutgers games look like dunk-fests. It's what she knows as a coach and I think it will be tough to change, especially since her own recruiting philosophy favors long, defensive minded players who can't shoot. If the games at LSU are similar, it's no wonder the fans aren't coming. Another serious problem is her ego. On any Nikki Caldwell team, there will be only one diva and that's Caldwell. You can forget someone like Diamond DeShields on the team.

As far as Chatman, there's a reason why everyone's so up in arms about it and we all know that reason. Did you know that Greg Marsden, who just retired from Utah as women's gymnastics coach (10 National Championships) actually courted one of his gymnasts, Megan McCunniff when she was on his team and eventually married her? Where is the outrage there? When he announced his retirement a few weeks ago, it was met with shocked disbelief in Utah. He's beloved and Utah leads the nation in gymnatics attendance. McCunniff said that when he asked her into his office to profess his love, she thought he was pulling her scholarship. When she found out what he wanted, she said she felt like she "was 12 again." Take that however you like it.

Welp she better get on it now or hit the road!

PostPosted: 04/30/15 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:

I agree that both situations (the Chatman one and the Marsden one) involve an abuse of power.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/30/15 6:41 pm    ::: Re: Alleva acknowledging need to revitalize Tiger program Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Whle coming short of saying that it's broken, Alleva does say that an upgrade of LSU's program is necessary. Wants a return to the days of Final Four.

http://www.wafb.com/story/28909909/alleva-lsu-needs-to-revitalize-womens-basketball

He can have the verbally abusive idiot he hired at Duke. Oh! Look! She once coached a team that played in the National Championship Game!

The previous coach, Gail Goestenkors, had coached the team in TWO NC games and 4 FF's but he drove her out of Duke for not winning a 'ship. The coach he brought in, Joanne P. McCallie, to "take Duke to the next level" took them to another level, all right, the level BELOW all the teams that have actually been to a FF since she crash landed at Duke.

It's only fair that he invite her to his current stomping grounds. His circle of idiocy will be closed and Duke Women's BBall can final return to being the elite program Coach G built.

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: