RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

World University Games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brunie1064

PostPosted: 04/18/15 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why do I bother opening this thread thinking I might find some info/news about the World University Games??

LDYVOLS4EVER

PostPosted: 04/18/15 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Quote:
If you can't sustain an intellectual debate about a certain topic, at least abstain from attacking a poster. I'll assume you're just too accustomed to the smell of skunks to know the difference. Just for future reference, not everyone with a different opinion than yourself is necessarily wrong.

I was never trying to debate anything. I commented on your OP only because of its tone.
I've tired of the endless back and forth about those old issues. When someone says UConn bought Moore's mother a luxury condo and cheated in allowing her to sell her handbags I am invariably told that the evidence is there but that they can't tell me in order to "protect their sources", but that I should trust them. Of course there is also the vast conspiracy between UConn, the NCAA and ESPN to hide "the truth".

Sorry, but I'm not going down that road with you. But I'd love to see you reference something equivalent to the "pimping" comment from any UConn homer board. But I won't hold my breath. Wink

Sorry people. Didn't mean for this thread to be hijacked. My apologies. Regarding Moore, I'm not going down that road with you. The same goes for referencing anything I've seen on a homer Uconn board. This thread would never end. And to that end, I bid you a fond farewell.

shadowboxer

PostPosted: 04/24/15 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://women.hoopsfix.com/national-teams/gb-senior-women-preliminary-squad-released/?utm_content=buffer7fa0b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

World Games for England utilizing Jay-Ann Harriot-Bravo and Janice Monakona, UofToledo international players. Read article. Both players had solid input this past season and I predict they will assist Toledo gain an NCAA bid by their senior year! Bravo had 6 treys in one game, but has a good floor game, improved all season long-was MAC Freshman of Year!

Thread back on track.

awhom111

PostPosted: 04/24/15 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shadowboxer wrote:
http://women.hoopsfix.com/national-teams/gb-senior-women-preliminary-squad-released/?utm_content=buffer7fa0b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

World Games for England utilizing Jay-Ann Harriot-Bravo and Janice Monakona, UofToledo international players. Read article. Both players had solid input this past season and I predict they will assist Toledo gain an NCAA bid by their senior year! Bravo had 6 treys in one game, but has a good floor game, improved all season long-was MAC Freshman of Year!

Thread back on track.

This is not exactly for the same competition. This is the senior Great Britain team that will be playing in Eurobasket Women this summer to try to qualify for the Olympics. I don't think we have one single thread for that on WNBA board yet though.

awhom111

PostPosted: 05/06/15 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They are doing joint tryouts with 54 players competing for 24 spots on 2 teams (possibly supplemented by rising sophomores from the U19 pool)
http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2015/05/15-wpag-wwug-trials-roster-announced.aspx

The breakdown is 19 rising seniors, 30 rising juniors, and 5 rising sophomores who are too old for U19s.

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/06/15 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure which tryouts Morgan Tuck was invited to, this is just a guess as to which tryouts she fit in best with.

I saw this on twitter.

carl adamec
‏@CarlAdamec wrote:
Geno Auriemma says Morgan Tuck turned down USA trials invite to rest right knee: "She knows it's the best thing for her." #UConn

https://twitter.com/CarlAdamec/status/596052139631312899

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/08/15 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chris Masters, SID for NDWBB, tweeted that Brianna Turner and Lindsay Allen "Both chose to stay on campus this summer, work on their games with our coaching staff and attend summer classes."

Durantula

PostPosted: 05/17/15 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Roster for the World University games:

Jordin Canada
Nina Davis
Diamond DeShields
Rebecca Greenwell
Chanise Jenkins
Brionna Jones
Erica McCall
Aerial Powers
Courtney Range
Mercedes Russell
Sydney Weise
Courtney M. Williams

Good sign for the Lady Vols to see Russell make the team after missing all of last year, she really must be back to 100%.

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/17/15 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

Jordin Canada
Nina Davis
Diamond DeShields
Rebecca Greenwell
Chanise Jenkins
Brionna Jones
Erica McCall
Aerial Powers
Courtney Range
Mercedes Russell
Sydney Weise
Courtney M. Williams

Good sign for the Lady Vols to see Russell make the team after missing all of last year, she really must be back to 100%.

I'm glad to see the Pac-12 get some representation on both teams.

Congrats to all the players named to the team!

awhom111

PostPosted: 05/17/15 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

Jordin Canada
Nina Davis
Diamond DeShields
Rebecca Greenwell
Chanise Jenkins
Brionna Jones
Erica McCall
Aerial Powers
Courtney Range
Mercedes Russell
Sydney Weise
Courtney M. Williams

Full coverage:
http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2015/05/15-wwug-roster-named.aspx

With the two teams splitting some talent, it will be interesting to see if this team can take the gold again. A near full strength team had a couple of tests last time. It will depend of course on how strong some of the powerhouse countries are this time around.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/17/15 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee places two players, neither of whom played this year. DeShields is understandable. Russell must have shown a lot at the tryouts or she's being taken on size and faith.

I'm a little surprised by the choice of McCall, who hasn't been much of a scorer at Stanford.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/17/15 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

Jordin Canada
Nina Davis
Diamond DeShields
Rebecca Greenwell
Chanise Jenkins
Brionna Jones
Erica McCall
Aerial Powers
Courtney Range
Mercedes Russell
Sydney Weise
Courtney M. Williams

Who starts?

DeShields
Davis
Jones
Canada
Wiese

Last edited by GlennMacGrady on 05/17/15 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jlcarter

PostPosted: 05/17/15 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is both good news for Russell and Tennessee.

sammieee

PostPosted: 05/17/15 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Jordin Canada
Nina Davis
Diamond DeShields
Rebecca Greenwell
Chanise Jenkins
Brionna Jones
Erica McCall
Aerial Powers
Courtney Range
Mercedes Russell
Sydney Weise
Courtney M. Williams

Who starts?

Canada, Deshields and Davis are probably going to anchor the team.

So, probably Jones at center (or Russell...if she's as good as advertised), and I'll put Greenwell at the 2 since she can shoot and space the floor.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 05/17/15 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I bet Chanise is the starting point guard. She's the best facilitator of the point guards on the team.

Durantula

PostPosted: 05/17/15 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Tennessee places two players, neither of whom played this year. DeShields is understandable. Russell must have shown a lot at the tryouts or she's being taken on size and faith.

I'm a little surprised by the choice of McCall, who hasn't been much of a scorer at Stanford.

McCall was one of the surprises to me. Three Stanford players were at the trials and if you asked me who had the best shot at making the team I would have said Lili Thompson or Kaylee Johnson, not McCall. During the season I thought Johnson was the superior player to McCall. I didn't think McCall was getting an invite since her numbers were sort of average and she wasn't even a full time starter. She was a top prospect in high school though so her USA Basketball experience in the past may have proven to be useful.

The other surprise is Te'a Cooper not making a team per Tennessee coach and USA Basketball assistant Holly Warlick.

Tennessee signee Te'a Cooper of Powder Springs, Ga. (McEachern H.S.) participated in the Trials for the USA U19 Team that will participate in the FIBA World Junior Championships. Despite what Warlick perceived to be a sterling performance by the point guard, the UT newcomer did not make the USA roster.

"Te'a was outstanding," Warlick said. "She did everything that I would have wanted her to do. In my opinion, I thought she was the best guard out here. She's a very talented player who is going to be a tremendous addition to our Tennessee team."

Last surprise is Asia Durr making the team as she supposedly was injured and didn't try out. This to me is a bad precedent to make, you can't invite all these high level players and then pick someone who doesn't even try out. If that's the case you can just pick your team without the trials.

awhom111

PostPosted: 05/17/15 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/18/15 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA Basketball seems to prefer some players over others, or should I say its selection committees.

Erica McCall has always gotten a lot of love from USA Basketball and Te'a Cooper not so much.

But with so much talent to choose from, and so little pressure to actually have to put together the most talented lineups, such biases tend to linger.

PostPosted: 05/19/15 7:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pan Am is the main team. They will play against pros, whereas WUG is just against college players. Teams in the Pan Am are already talking about taking down the US as they think they will be able to beat the college players but that is why Stewie is on this team. She was apparantly, head and shoulders above all the other players at try outs. The work against the pros is paying off for her.

willtalk

PostPosted: 05/19/15 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie you stated--Pan Am is the main team. They will play against pros, whereas WUG is just against college players. Teams in the Pan Am are already talking about taking down the US as they think they will be able to beat the college players but that is why Stewie is on this team. She was apparantly, head and shoulders above all the other players at try outs. The work against the pros is paying off for her.[/b]

I think you choice of the term " main team" leaves much to be desired. Now you might say that the Pan am team is the stronger team because they have the obviously best player and have a point. However the reason that they held combined try outs was because they wanted to create more of a balance between the two teams. Obviously they can not cut Stew in half so she went with the Pan Am team.

I remember one year when the World team was loaded, Della Don, Sims, Diggens, N. Ogwomike, etc. and the Pan Am team was not. Partially due to the time the games were held. The whole idea this year was to create more of a balance between the two teams.

While their Pro players can play in the Pan Am games the countries involved barring a few exceptions are not known for their strength in basketball. Argentina and Canada maybe. Except for the USA the basketball powers are concentrated in Europe. It's not like the Pro's they will face in the Pan Am games are top flight. Most of the really good players are with there teams in the WNBA.

To call one team the main team insults every player on the World team. It implies they are the ones that were not good enough to make the other team. The bottom 12 so to speak. All the information that has been released in that respect speaks to differ with your opinion. That's purely what it is just your opinion. But you chose to use the term "is". They have enough good players to go around to field two pretty good teams so they don't have to overload one at the expense of the other.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/19/15 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
the reason that they held combined try outs was because they wanted to create more of a balance between the two teams.

Do you have a source for this, because it's certainly not obvious from the selections.

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/19/15 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Pan Am is the main team. They will play against pros, whereas WUG is just against college players. Teams in the Pan Am are already talking about taking down the US as they think they will be able to beat the college players but that is why Stewie is on this team. She was apparantly, head and shoulders above all the other players at try outs. The work against the pros is paying off for her.

To be eligible for the World University Games all you need to do is be in college, there is no rules that prohibits professional players. Marianna Tolo played for Australia in the 2013 World University Games and at that time she had already played 7-8 years of professional basketball, she even played in the 2010 World Championships. I think the USA will be the only team without any professional players in fact I wouldn't be surprised if the other teams are entirely professional players as the only requirements are they fall within a certain age group and a college student (but I can't find the rules for the World University Games, those are just the rules for the USA Basketball team).

awhom111

PostPosted: 05/19/15 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

To be eligible for the World University Games all you need to do is be in college, there is no rules that prohibits professional players. Marianna Tolo played for Australia in the 2013 World University Games and at that time she had already played 7-8 years of professional basketball, she even played in the 2010 World Championships. I think the USA will be the only team without any professional players in fact I wouldn't be surprised if the other teams are entirely professional players as the only requirements are they fall within a certain age group and a college student (but I can't find the rules for the World University Games, those are just the rules for the USA Basketball team).

Eligibility is pretty loose for these teams:
http://www.fisu.net/en/FISU-today-3417.html

USA Basketball just decides to limit it for this team. There is speculation that they will allow Bill Self to add a few former players who are now pros since he will not have 12 players to choose from with just his current Kansas team.

A couple of other teams tend to use amateurs with no professionals. Canada will probably go that route and probably China. South Korea would ordinarily do so, but they are the hosts, so I would not be surprised to see them go with their strongest team possible. There are also a few colleges around the world that have professional teams that may or may not have players that are also students. I do a double take every time I see a Chilean roster because they have a Boston College there that fields a team.

Usually the website lists the university that each player is affiliated with. It is interesting to see which ones the longtime pros list. Of course it is not completely unheard of for foreign players to do some schooling while playing professionally but not participating in a collegiate team since they are generally only organized in North America and Asia.

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/20/15 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

Eligibility is pretty loose for these teams:
http://www.fisu.net/en/FISU-today-3417.html

USA Basketball just decides to limit it for this team. There is speculation that they will allow Bill Self to add a few former players who are now pros since he will not have 12 players to choose from with just his current Kansas team.

A couple of other teams tend to use amateurs with no professionals. Canada will probably go that route and probably China. South Korea would ordinarily do so, but they are the hosts, so I would not be surprised to see them go with their strongest team possible. There are also a few colleges around the world that have professional teams that may or may not have players that are also students. I do a double take every time I see a Chilean roster because they have a Boston College there that fields a team.

Usually the website lists the university that each player is affiliated with. It is interesting to see which ones the longtime pros list. Of course it is not completely unheard of for foreign players to do some schooling while playing professionally but not participating in a collegiate team since they are generally only organized in North America and Asia.

Thanks for the info, I knew many pros have competed in various sports in the past and the was an age limit, but I couldn't find anything.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 05/21/15 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UQ_VAonFsY

Diamond sounds like a very nice young lady, not sure why she is disliked by so many people, all the talk about being a bad teammate and stuff seems like nonsense to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: