RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Jordan Brand Classic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/17/15 3:46 pm    ::: Jordan Brand Classic Reply Reply with quote

This game is even more chaotic and playground than the McD game, if that's possible. Do they even have coaches here?

Samuelson isn't playing, evidently has an arm injury.

Collier has looked good, but she doesn't have much company on that list.

I'm reluctant to draw any conclusions from these All Star games but, from watching both, one impression I have is that Kalani Brown will help Baylor next year and Mompremier won't.

Oh, and I don't know who these announcers are but they are terrible. Can't get names right and don't provide the most fundamental information.

Oh and of course they are having a ten minute slobberfest interview with Samuelson who's not even playing while the game is going on in the background as an afterthought without any commentary or play-by-play. As if they couldn't have had this interview at halftime?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/17/15 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Failing to describe what's going on in the game.

Slobbering over UConn.

That announcer duo has all the skills for the big time.

So does Napheesa Collier.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/17/15 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Irish

ed6566723

PostPosted: 04/17/15 5:19 pm    ::: Box score Reply Reply with quote

Anyone have a link to the box score?

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/17/15 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i missed it, but at least the uni colors are tolerable.

PostPosted: 04/17/15 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taja Cole was great. I saw the second half.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/17/15 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, she scored a lot of points - the most in the game - but also her horrible pass at the end gave the game away, allowing Stephanie Watts to hit her second quick 3 to win the game for the East.

Cole and Collier were the MVPs for their teams.

It truly was often difficult to know who was doing what or who was even on the floor because the announcers weren't doing their job or paying any attention to the game for long stretches at a time.

I expect the replay is probably on ESPN3.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/17/15 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Box score here:

http://jordanbrandclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Box-Score-All-American-Girls-Game.pdf

Look at the lines for Cole and Collier.

The announcers quoted a coach as saying that Kiah Gillespie was the most athletic player of the bunch. Maryland got a good one in her, literally from the shadow of the XL Center in Hartford, CT.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/17/15 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taja Cole explains how Jeff Walz recruits against UConn and why the geographical propinquity of the ACC schools is so attractive to her.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hQ5uJz1D-Xc?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/18/15 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Box score here:

http://jordanbrandclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Box-Score-All-American-Girls-Game.pdf

The announcers quoted a coach as saying that Kiah Gillespie was the most athletic player of the bunch. Maryland got a good one in her, literally from the shadow of the XL Center in Hartford, CT.

I thought Gillespie was very impressive in the McD game as well.

Everything I ever saw said she wasn't recruited by UConn. Is that true?

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/18/15 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Box score here:

I think Collier is more athletic, in fact Gillespie looks skilled but not fast. They both played 25 minutes, Collier 22 points, 13 rebounds and Gillespie 11 points and 12 rebounds but Coller got 22 points on 9 shots, Gillespie took 18. Collier and Cole were basically the only ones who didn't shoot atrociously from the floor so they were easy MVP choices.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/18/15 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Box score here:

I think Collier is more athletic, in fact Gillespie looks skilled but not fast. They both played 25 minutes, Collier 22 points, 13 rebounds and Gillespie 11 points and 12 rebounds but Coller got 22 points on 9 shots, Gillespie took 18. Collier and Cole were basically the only ones who didn't shoot atrociously from the floor so they were easy MVP choices.

Watching these all-star games I am always amazed ay how skilled these players are in the tools needed to get open or drive the lane, and how unskilled they are in finishing by putting the ball in the hoop. In one of the many videos about Geno and UConn that float around he tells his players to never foul a driver since they will miss the layup most of the time.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/18/15 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think you can draw that from these games. The games get frenetic and out of control, players get the ball in bad positions to shoot with bad passes from unfamilar teammates, force up bad shots because they have no expectation of getting the ball back if they don't shoot when they have the chance, etc. Many of these players have shot perfectly well for four years and will shoot perfectly well the next four.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/18/15 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The shooting was mega-atrocious with two striking exceptions, Cole and Collier.

The 24 players shot 58-175 = 33%. But Cole and Collier shot a brilliant 17-22 = 78%. That means the other 22 "All Stars" shot an atrocious 41-153 = 27%.

Three-point shooting was also very poor: 11-46 = 24%. Subtracting Cole's excellent 4-5 = 80%, leaves the other 11 three-point shooters at 17%.

Finally, the foul shooting was similarly horrible for the 16 players that shot them: 24-45 = 53%.

Te'a Cooper had twice as many assists as anyone else with six. There were a total of 26 assists vs. 41 turnovers.

Taja Cole had very good but not elite senior year stats.

Can Collier even shoot the three? She may, but she doesn't attempt them very often. In 31 games in her senior year she shot 11-29 = 38%. If she could quadruple that output at the same percentage at UConn to become a wing threat, Geno could start his five best players: Stewart, Tuck, Jefferson, Samuelson and Collier.

All in all, I've been relatively unimpressed by this 2015 gaggle.
ed6566723

PostPosted: 04/18/15 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Box score here:

Thank you for the link!

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/19/15 6:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
The shooting was mega-atrocious with two striking exceptions, Cole and Collier.

The 24 players shot 58-175 = 33%. But Cole and Collier shot a brilliant 17-22 = 78%. That means the other 22 "All Stars" shot an atrocious 41-153 = 27%.

Three-point shooting was also very poor: 11-46 = 24%. Subtracting Cole's excellent 4-5 = 80%, leaves the other 11 three-point shooters at 17%.

Finally, the foul shooting was similarly horrible for the 16 players that shot them: 24-45 = 53%.

Te'a Cooper had twice as many assists as anyone else with six. There were a total of 26 assists vs. 41 turnovers.

Taja Cole had very good but not elite senior year stats.

Can Collier even shoot the three? She may, but she doesn't attempt them very often. In 31 games in her senior year she shot 11-29 = 38%. If she could quadruple that output at the same percentage at UConn to become a wing threat, Geno could start his five best players: Stewart, Tuck, Jefferson, Samuelson and Collier.

All in all, I've been relatively unimpressed by this 2015 gaggle.

Not to hijack the thread, but I think Geno's "5 best players" may not be the same as his "best team" and I'll guess the relatively obvious 5 of J/N/T/S/B will start.

In my limited viewing of KLS, she strikes me as a kind of bambi, w/ great potential but needing physical maturation before said potential really pays off.

It's been a while since CT has had a potent bench and it looks to me that 15-16 will provide one.

PostPosted: 04/19/15 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see none of you went to the inaugural Jordan Brand game which made history and a lot of thanks has to go to Maya Moore. The venue was great and the number of fans that stayed in their seats to watch the games and Minaj, well genius on Jordan Brand.

For those who are really interested in growing the women's game, it took 4 years to get this game off the ground and a lot of hard work.

Brooklyn was particularly interested in their hometown heroes so it added a great home crowd feel for the games.

As usual there was not much to take away from the games in terms of stats for both boys, girls, regional and international games, but there were some interesting back stories. The coaches involved were from HS and club. You had a couple of tough coaches thrown into a mix who wanted structure and players to play hard. Some of the players were unable to handle this type of environment!! For all the pundits out there it does make a difference if you have played a very tough HS schedule and even more so for a tough coach.

Some players/athletes struggled with this, it becomes more obvious that smart players with skills will do better in college, especially to begin with but most likely for their career. Nearly all the players are athletic enough but not ALL are smart enough or have the skills to fit in and excel.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/19/15 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would be nice if they had the all star game at the women's final 4 like they used to. The game would be played in a location with way more women's basketball fans at the Final 4. Added bonus for the girls to watch the final 4 teams practice and play too. Didn't watch much but the Jordan game looked empty which is too bad.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/20/15 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The arena is huge and it gradually filled as the day went on. There were 4 games. By the evening it was packed with a very home biased crowd similar to when the Nets play. Jordan did a great job as far as entertaining and keeping the crowd involved.

The basketball is never great, for obvious reasons. Gillespie for example played no defense and gave the game away with a bad early shot when the West was up and not getting back on D and boxing out her man, followed by a bad pass by Cole. The East should have dominated with the height advantage but didn't. However there was some serious coaching going on and some of these players couldn't handle it. Some of your schools are going to be a little disappointed with players who don't like to practice, go hard or understand team basketball, game management and spacing.

There were also some serious sports stars and celebs. I wasn't at the Mcdonalds game but heard that Jordan had more involved and upped the ante as far as entertainment.

Overall this is about a product and selling the game, a brand looking for the next rep for the sports and their product. Not just about basketball but about an overall image. Why do you think Maya is the only female basketball player for Jordan. Getting more into their world could seriously help women's basketball.

Just as USA looks for an overall package to represent them. It's always about a bigger picture.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: