RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Katie Lou Samuelson named Gatorade POY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Homyonkel

PostPosted: 04/18/15 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Homyonkel wrote:

I thought it was a lack of a decent football program that kept them out of a major conference and the fact of not being Catholic that prevented them from staying in the BE.

It was the delusion of wanting to be a football school that kept them from staying in the BE. Butler isn't Catholic, by the way.

What a horrible mistake! Of course Butler isn't Catholic. When I was there a few years ago for a FF I toured the university and was told it's origin was in the Christian Church, not Catholic. I'm not sure which congregation I insulted so I'll apologize to both.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/18/15 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homyonkel wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Homyonkel wrote:

I thought it was a lack of a decent football program that kept them out of a major conference and the fact of not being Catholic that prevented them from staying in the BE.

It was the delusion of wanting to be a football school that kept them from staying in the BE. Butler isn't Catholic, by the way.

What a horrible mistake! Of course Butler isn't Catholic. When I was there a few years ago for a FF I toured the university and was told it's origin was in the Christian Church, not Catholic. I'm not sure which congregation I insulted so I'll apologize to both.

Disciples of Christ, to get technical, because the last thing this thread needs is to get derailed into a holy war because someone gets affronted that Catholics are being separated from Christians. (Me, I'm technically Greek Orthodox, so you're *all* heretics to me. Razz)

PostPosted: 04/18/15 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Elena Delle Donne's 4 year career of not facing a Top 25 rival conference team really just shot her career in the ass before it could even take off. How did she not hang herself? Rolling Eyes

Why are you people even entertaining this anti-WBB fan? Hate permiates this person's veins. Just ignore. Take the higher road and move on.
ClayK

PostPosted: 04/18/15 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
As we were all just saying . . . in kumbaya agreement . . . Katie Lou is the best player in high school, unless it's Napheesa Collier or Megan Walker.

Not quite all ... depending of course of how you define "best player in high school".

PostPosted: 04/18/15 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
David4632, of course I know that. Duh!!!! I guess I have UConn to thank for - they sucked in football and it becomes its own worst enemy. LOL.

ArtBest, you said New England did not have a great collegiate football in 70 years. I think you're ignoring Boston College. Boston College had a great run in 1970s, 1980s, 1990s and 2000s.

R-

circle jerks = all who engage in this sour puss conversation with ridor.

Please. I'm not happy with my Duke program at all and it's hard to no longer be in the conversation of elite teams. But to hijack a thread about a wonderful young player by making fun of the conference of the college powerhouse she chose is just about the weakest effort of an unhappy fan I've seen. Both UVA & Duke are equally out of the conversation, but UConn women's bball had no say in the conference they play in. It doesn't seem to be impacting their NC juggernaut yet.

~rAf
Davis4632

PostPosted: 04/19/15 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

^ Fans of conferences make fun of other conferences all of the time. Whether it's about academics, sports, how the coeds look, etc. At the moment, I don't see UConn being in the AAC having a negative effect on their recruiting.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/19/15 1:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the other top 25 coaches were smart, they wouldn't schedule any non-conference games with UConn (looking at you Stanford, Duke, South Carolina and Notre Dame). Let UConn go undefeated each year but head into the tournament with their toughest contest being against USF. They still probably have too much talent, but at least add "lack of elite competition during the regular season" as an issue they have to face.

Homyonkel

PostPosted: 04/19/15 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
If the other top 25 coaches were smart, they wouldn't schedule any non-conference games with UConn (looking at you Stanford, Duke, South Carolina and Notre Dame). Let UConn go undefeated each year but head into the tournament with their toughest contest being against USF. They still probably have too much talent, but at least add "lack of elite competition during the regular season" as an issue they have to face.

Should the other 25 coaches (could be different every year) get together to make that a formal decision or should it be a coincidental, individual choice?

Also, there are those who would argue that this year UCONN already had a lack of "elite" competition.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/19/15 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

This sounds like the modus operandi of a clique of 7th grade girls;

[i] if we can't be prettier than her then let's just shun her. [/i]

So what does a coach say to a prospective recruit when they ask her why she won't play UConn? Does the coach admit "they are too good so we are attempting to destroy them through a shunning?"

ridor

PostPosted: 04/19/15 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucdt3, you cannot use Elena Delle Donne's conference (Colonial Athletic Association) against the AAC. AAC's history is nonexistant. CAA is a mid-major conference with a long history of CWB. It had Richmond, James Madison, Drexel, Delaware and especially Old Dominion as formidable foes in CAA for many years before Richmond left for Atlantic 10 and ODU to C-USA. CAA is a notch better than the AAC but CAA is a step below Atlantic 10, a step better than CUSA. CUSA is even better than the AAC.

James Madison already proved themselves by reaching Sweet Sixteen more than 5 times in 32-field, 48-field, 64-field NCAA Tournaments as well as reaching the Postseason WNIT Championship. ODU had reached Elite Eight, Final Four, National Championship Game, dozens of Sweet Sixteen when they were in the CAA. Drexel & Richmond always had been respectable teams outside of CAA and presented a constant challenge to each other as well as Delaware having its little history BEFORE Elena Delle Donne made her history with Delaware.

So yes, the CAA is legitimate mid-major conference. And you tried to compare the AAC with the CAA, dude? Just don't. CAA had these 5 teams against each other for decades and what have you in the AAC? Only two: Connecticut and South Florida. Other than Temple (during the Staley Era), what did they have in Central Florida, East Carolina, Tulsa, Tulane, Southern Methodist, Houston & Memphis? Hello!

You simply cannot compare the CAA who already proved themselves with the AAC.

R-

ridor

PostPosted: 04/19/15 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan, exactly. You said it much better than I did. If these coaches were smart, they would have done that yesterday. And I'm waiting for Tara, Dawn & Muffet to understand that they absolutely have no benefits in playing UConn. They need to cut them out to break and doom their recruiting pitches.

This reminded me of Cathy Inglese's run at Vermont where she coached the teams to two regular season undefeated at 28-0 & 29-0 at Vermont in 1990-91 & 1991-92. She & UVM said that they could not even schedule any home-home game with Connecticut despite the fact that Storrs is only 255 miles away. Cathy Inglese left for Boston College where she became a thorn for Geno & UConn at times. I did watch them play in the first round between Joe McKeown's George Washington and Cathy Inglese's Vermont which GWU escaped with an 1-point win at Smith Center in DC.

When Inglese, Pam Borton & Keith Cieplicki were at Vermont, they all failed to schedule home-home games with UConn. Why? Because UConn refused to play because they found no benefits in playing UVM because Geno & others knew that Vermont presented a threat to their domination in New England.

Inglese went 110-54, Borton went 69-46 and Keith Cieplicki went 127-53 at Vermont between 1986-2003 and all only played two games against UConn, both at Storrs. In fact, they finally played each other in 2009 when UConn secured the domination of New England after multiplying wins of National Championships at six.

That particular two games in 1988 & 1993 occurred when UVM was rebuilding, Catamounts played both games at Storrs. Between 1993-2009, Geno refused to play Vermont because Geno saw no benefit in playing the Catamounts, especially in Burlington. As for UVM, they played Providence, Brown, Hartford, Syracuse, Marist, Quinnipiac, Rhode Island, Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, George Washington, James Madison, Delaware, Dartmouth (which was good team in 199os), Texas, Miami (FL) to name few.

When Tennessee chose to terminate the series with UConn, UConn FOWs was outraged because Tennessee chose to stop giving the benefits to UConn so they accused Tennessee of being a coward and at the same time, they scrambled to look for a national rival with Baylor, Duke, Stanford and Notre Dame. These schools played UConn because they believed in the growth of the sport. UConn does not care about the growth, it wants the Top 25 teams on its schedule because it gives them an edge in recruiting wars to win national championships. So when Baylor & Duke cuts them out, what did UConn do? They called them out on that.

UConn was no better, it refused to play Vermont when they were very good team in New England until the Huskies secured its multiple of national championships - they finally played only one game in 2009 - in Storrs, a 84-42 win for UConn. The lifetime record between Vermont and Connecticut is 11-0 in favor of UConn. If they did play few games between 1988-1995, I can safely say that UConn would lose few games to Vermont.

And when I mocked at UConn about their shitty conference, people said I'm hateful on this, that and there. Oh, please. Get real! Geno is truly a coward all along in the first place. They were cowards for not playing Vermont at Burlington when they were very good back then. And now I'm doing the similar thing in mocking them of their conference status - it is high time that other teams like Notre Dame, Stanford & South Carolina to cut the series because playing UConn does not give them any benefits to their programs in the long run.

Cheers,

R-

ridor

PostPosted: 04/19/15 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster, why don't you ask UConn on why they refused to play home-home games against Vermont in 1980s-1990s? Why target the others for doing the same thing that UConn did on Vermont. People who lives in glass houses should not throw stones either.

RAF: You're such a bore, really. I have nothing to say to you ... none whatsoever.

Homyonkel, no. It can't be "formal" thing to do. It has to be done by individual choice through the private conversations amongst the coaches & recruiters behind the scenes, especially at WBCA Conventions. If they do it formal, UConn would file a compliant with NCAAs against the other schools for "formalizing" the shunning of their program. So it is better to do this through the informal process.

Homyonkel

PostPosted: 04/19/15 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
linkster, why don't you ask UConn on why they refused to play home-home games against Vermont in 1980s-1990s? Why target the others for doing the same thing that UConn did on Vermont. People who lives in glass houses should not throw stones either.

RAF: You're such a bore, really. I have nothing to say to you ... none whatsoever.

Homyonkel, no. It can't be "formal" thing to do. It has to be done by individual choice through the private conversations amongst the coaches & recruiters behind the scenes, especially at WBCA Conventions. If they do it formal, UConn would file a compliant with NCAAs against the other schools for "formalizing" the shunning of their program. So it is better to do this through the informal process.

Believe me, I fully understood it couldn't be done formally when I posted. Even informally poses problems.

And do you really think you can convince anybody that Geno "refused" to play Vermont because he "feared" them? No ex-Yankee Conference team ever instilled fear in any upper level team. Not even Maine, with Feister (who UCONN did play as I recall). If you want a reason, think monetarily. Even in those days a trip to Vermont to play in front of 214 fans wouldn't pay for the bus driver's tip, let alone the gas.

NickDMB

PostPosted: 04/19/15 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucdt3 wrote:
Why are you people even entertaining this anti-WBB fan? Hate permiates this person's veins. Just ignore. Take the higher road and move on.

This. Unless you all enjoy getting into a pissing contest with a bitter person like Ridor, I'm really not sure why anyone's feeding the troll.

ridor

PostPosted: 04/19/15 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homyonkel: 214 fans? Are you that dumb? When I attended the first round game between George Washington & Vermont who was 29-0 at that time - Vermont brought more than 1K fans to the game which is very impressive considering the fact that it was in 1991. Whenever UVM won lots of games, its teams do attract more than 214 spectators. I know Inglese, Borton & Cieplicki, I think you did do them a bad service by assuming that they do not have fans that much - these people routinely brought 1 to 3K per game. I'm sure that if UConn played them, they would have more than 3K at the games. And it is funny thing that you claimed that Geno did not want to play in front of 214 fans but that's what he had been doing at Georgetown for many years - sometimes I went to McDonough Arena and it was less than 300 fans watching UConn dismantling Georgetown in early 1990s. UVM had better attendance figures than Georgetown at that time because the town loved these 3 coaches - Inglese, Borton & Cieplicki.

The truth is no, it has nothing to do with money. It has so much to do with the threat of being dethroned by someone else as the Queen of New England. UVM was a threat to UConn - which is why UConn refused to do the home-home series between 1988 and 2009. If UConn can do that to UVM, then I don't see why it would be a problem with ND, SC & Stanford to turn its back on UConn to severe its recruiting edges. After all, recruiting is also a game to many. It has been like that for many years - so if UConn can do that, so can they.

Homyonkel

PostPosted: 04/19/15 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
Homyonkel: 214 fans? Are you that dumb? When I attended the first round game between George Washington & Vermont who was 29-0 at that time - Vermont brought more than 1K fans to the game which is very impressive considering the fact that it was in 1991. Whenever UVM won lots of games, its teams do attract more than 214 spectators. I know Inglese, Borton & Cieplicki, I think you did do them a bad service by assuming that they do not have fans that much - these people routinely brought 1 to 3K per game. I'm sure that if UConn played them, they would have more than 3K at the games. And it is funny thing that you claimed that Geno did not want to play in front of 214 fans but that's what he had been doing at Georgetown for many years - sometimes I went to McDonough Arena and it was less than 300 fans watching UConn dismantling Georgetown in early 1990s. UVM had better attendance figures than Georgetown at that time because the town loved these 3 coaches - Inglese, Borton & Cieplicki.

The truth is no, it has nothing to do with money. It has so much to do with the threat of being dethroned by someone else as the Queen of New England. UVM was a threat to UConn - which is why UConn refused to do the home-home series between 1988 and 2009. If UConn can do that to UVM, then I don't see why it would be a problem with ND, SC & Stanford to turn its back on UConn to severe its recruiting edges. After all, recruiting is also a game to many. It has been like that for many years - so if UConn can do that, so can they.

I may be many things but dumb is not one of them. To refute me you change the playing field.You were specific about regular season games (even home & home) previously. Now you use the non sequitur of tournament games and in-league games (Georgetown) over which Geno has no control.

I wonder how many other posters actually agree with you that Geno feared being "replaced" by Vermont. Truth be told, I wonder if you really believe it.

NickDMB

PostPosted: 04/19/15 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homyonkel wrote:
To refute me you change the playing field.You were specific about regular season games (even home & home) previously. Now you use the non sequitur of tournament games and in-league games (Georgetown) over which Geno has no control.

Gee, it's almost as if s/he's not discussing this in good faith. Huh.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/20/15 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homyonkel wrote:
tfan wrote:

Should the other 25 coaches (could be different every year) get together to make that a formal decision

yes

Quote:

Also, there are those who would argue that this year UCONN already had a lack of "elite" competition.

They played Stanford, Notre Dame, DePaul, Duke, South Carolina, Vanderbilt and UCLA out of conference this year. I don't want to see names like that. I want to see more names like their other out of conference opponents - West Chester, Post University, UC Davis, Creighton, East Carolina, College of Charleston, and Green Bay.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/20/15 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
tfan wrote:

Sounds to me like the modus operandi of a clique of coaches who do not get the best USA Basketball National Team talent, saying "If we can't get equivalent USA Basketball and National Player of the Year talent, let's at least give them the disadvantage of weak regular season competition".

Quote:

So what does a coach say to a prospective recruit when they ask her why she won't play UConn? Does the coach admit "they are too good so we are attempting to destroy them through a shunning?"

The vast majority of top 25 teams already do not play UConn out of conference, now, or in the past. And they can also mention that they can play them in the Final Four.

Homyonkel

PostPosted: 04/20/15 3:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
linkster wrote:
tfan wrote:

Sounds to me like the modus operandi of a clique of coaches who do not get the best USA Basketball National Team talent, saying "If we can't get equivalent USA Basketball and National Player of the Year talent, let's at least give them the disadvantage of weak regular season competition".

Quote:

The vast majority of top 25 teams already do not play UConn out of conference, now, or in the past. And they can also mention that they can play them in the Final Four.

The vast majority of the top 25 teams CAN'T play any one team in any year. There are just so many ooc games allowed.

ridor

PostPosted: 04/20/15 5:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, homyonkel, you have to stop shoving words into my mouth when I never said such a thing on my previous comments. I never said that UConn refused to do home-home games with Vermont Catamounts because he "feared" being replaced by UVM. I said that Geno does view UVM as a threat, not feared.

If UConn played against UVM at Burlington - they would have lost a couple of games there. Geno cannot afford to lose any game to any D! schools in New England states. He knew they were good, he knew they were a threat, he chose not to schedule them primarily because he does not see any benefit for UConn to play in Burlington and lose a game or two between 1990 and 1998. He knew by losing to UVM in Burlington presented a backyard threat.

I never said he was afraid of UVM - I'm saying that he was no better than other schools who chose not to play different teams that may present them as a threat and not beneficial to their programs. So hence the idiom: People who lives in glass houses should not throw stones! So you cannot defend UConn by going after Baylor, Virginia, Duke and Tennessee for doing the same thing that Geno did on UVM back then. Capisce?

ridor

PostPosted: 04/20/15 5:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Linkster, you said: "So what does a coach say to a prospective recruit when they ask her why she won't play UConn? Does the coach admit "they are too good so we are attempting to destroy them through a shunning?"

You need to wake up and face the reality - THIS is how it works in THIS SPORT. In fact, others had done the same thing for many years prior to the Debacle.

When Sue Gunter left Stephen F. Austin to be the Head Coach of LSU Tigers, Sue stopped the annual games between Louisiana Tech and LSU. It sets off the fiercely recruiting between two schools in Louisiana, Gunter noticed that Louisiana Tech has enormous advantage back then so Gunter curbed Leon Barmore's firm hold in Louisiana by rarely playing LSU. La Tech refused to play Arkansas and Mississippi State. When they saw Memphis & Ole Miss doing well in recruiting the region in east Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana - Louisiana Tech then abruptly stopped playing them for a long time.

Same thing happened to Long Beach State and Stanford. Coach Vanderveer arrived in Palo Alto in 1985, the very first thing she did was to discontinue the series against one powerful team in a weak conference: Long Beach State. Long Beach State was able to recruit in Southern California along with USC. Stanford terminated the series in order to build a new program - when the team is much stronger 5 years later, Tara resumed the series only to destroy and annihilate Long Beach State so much and so often enough for Joan Bonvinci to leave for Arizona.

So yes, many schools in CWB do practice this for many decades. So I know they will turn its back on UConn eventually. Just wait and you'll see that I was right all along.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/20/15 5:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homyonkel wrote:

Quote:

The vast majority of the top 25 teams CAN'T play any one team in any year. There are just so many ooc games allowed.

So then I think we agree that recruits would not be very upset that they don't play UConn out of conference.

But I actually misread the post by linkster which asked:

"So what does a coach say to a prospective recruit when they ask her why she won't play UConn? Does the coach admit "they are too good so we are attempting to destroy them through a shunning?""

I had read it as "recruits will want to play UConn out of conference" when it is actually them asking a coach why they won't play them. I don't remember what Tennessee said when they dropped from twice a year, to once, to zero, but schools could say that. They also could say that with all the talent on UConn, they prefer not to play them early in the season when they are still trying to gel and gain confidence. It can be a tall order even late in the season after all - facing multiple National Players of the Year and five USA Basketball National Team members on the same squad. The personality of Geno Auriemma can also be pointed to as having caused a friction. I think there may have been other schools that stopped playing UConn out of conference. At least I think I remember Oklahoma doing it when the Paris sisters were there.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/20/15 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, since poor Katie Lou seems to have been jilted and abandoned in favor of strategies to hobble UConn, why not entertain the thought simply as an off season mind game.

tfan wrote:
If the other top 25 coaches were smart, they wouldn't schedule any non-conference games with UConn

This strategy has been suggested more than once on this board and in other venues, and may go back to Muffet McGraw's statement two years ago to the effect that UConn needs Notre Dame more as an out-of-conference opponent than Notre Dame needs UConn.

Just for discussion's sake, why not propose a complementary hobbling strategy for UConn's in-conference AAC opponents: They all should forfeit every game with UConn by refusing to play and accept a 2-0 defeat. That would amount to 21 non-played games for UConn.

Why not? These AAC opponents lost to UConn by an average of 50 points per game this season. An ant has more of a chance against the boot, a fly against the swatter, a Christian against the lion. These one-sided AAC borefests were not sporting contests; they were genocides.

None of these AAC teams has any chance of winning the conference and getting an auto bid as long as Genghis UKahn is rapaciously ravaging the landscape. Losing by two points in a forfeit is better than losing by 50 in a slaughter.

And the forfeit strategy should have the effect of destroying UConn's recruiting within four years. Would Katie Lou have signed with UConn if she knew she would never play in any of the 21 conference games per year . . . plus never against a top 25 opponent out of conference? I doubt it.

Geno would probably quit over principle and outrage. And that would be that for the Genghis UKahn empire.

We now return to the regularly scheduled program:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FX88WcaF22Y?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
ClayK

PostPosted: 04/20/15 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just a note on VanDerveer: I don't know about the Long Beach State issue long ago -- and there are many factors that go into scheduling -- but TVD is very serious about playing Northern California schools and does so on a regular basis, when in fact those schools want to play Stanford. Surprisingly, at least to me, many do not. It seems like a win-win for Santa Clara, say, to play Stanford because there's nothing to lose with a loss and a tremendous amount to gain with a win.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: