RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NCAA Cost of Attendance??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durantula

PostPosted: 04/11/15 10:35 am    ::: NCAA Cost of Attendance?? Reply Reply with quote

This is already being used in recruiting by the schools who are paying the most money. As seen here, Louisville is pitching it: https://instagram.com/p/1VvBwdKTow/ looking at the comments makes them look desperate but I digress.

My question is how do they decide how much money they can give? Cost of attendance if anything should be higher in areas that have higher costs of living. There's no way half of these SEC schools in the middle of no where are so expensive to live in. Just another way for SEC schools to use this NCAA cost of attendance and turn it into a recruiting advantage. Someone going to Tennessee or Auburn needs more money than a kid going to UCLA where food, housing, gas, and anything else will cost more?

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/11/15 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are federal standards for calculating cost of attendance, and I think schools are supposed to follow them.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/11/15 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
There are federal standards for calculating cost of attendance, and I think schools are supposed to follow them.

There has to be some subjective aspects to these federal standards. Lets be honest, when you think of the schools or areas of the country that would cost more to attend it is not most of these schools.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2015/01/14/ncaa-convention-recruiting-cost-of-attendance/21766761/

But because there is considerable leeway and subjectivity in how schools determine their cost-of-attendance figures, there are concerns in the college athletics community about how this will affect recruiting.

"What you don't want is a student, a player being recruited to two universities, to say, 'That the university down there is offering me more than you are,'" South Carolina President Harris Pastides, a member of both the NCAA's and Division I's top governing boards, told USA TODAY Sports. "Or if they are (offering more), you want the coach over here to be able to say, 'Look that's calculated as the full cost of attendance and so what we're offering you may not be the exact same amount … but both schools actually are playing by the same rules."

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/11/15 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Lets be honest, when you think of the schools or areas of the country that would cost more to attend it is not most of these schools.

I haven't studied the rules for these calculations, but I believe there is a "transportation cost" component which could I suppose add significant costs to more rural areas.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/12/15 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Durantula wrote:
Lets be honest, when you think of the schools or areas of the country that would cost more to attend it is not most of these schools.

I haven't studied the rules for these calculations, but I believe there is a "transportation cost" component which could I suppose add significant costs to more rural areas.

That is probably part of it. Cost of attendance has very specific rules around how it is calculated. It is a number that mostly exists for financial aid calculations and for public-facing net price calculators. It is possible that a school could try to game the calculations, but then the school would appear more expensive to prospective students, which virtually no college is going to want to do.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/12/15 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Durantula wrote:

That is probably part of it. Cost of attendance has very specific rules around how it is calculated. It is a number that mostly exists for financial aid calculations and for public-facing net price calculators. It is possible that a school could try to game the calculations, but then the school would appear more expensive to prospective students, which virtually no college is going to want to do.

Actually a school could face a federal fraud investigation if they gamed their numbers resulting in inflated federal financial aid payments. The much broader purposes of these numbers severally limits the opportunity for fudging the numbers just for recruiting.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/19/15 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Chronicle of Higher Education has an interesting article on this topic. Fluctuations in Aid Allowances Raise Questions of Fairness in Athletics http://chronicle.com/article/Fluctuations-in-Aid-Allowances/229487/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: