RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Stewart wins Naismith

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 04/07/15 4:54 pm    ::: Stewart wins Naismith Reply Reply with quote

http://www.naismithtrophy.com/press-release/2015-naismith-trophy-womens-college-player-of-the-year-presented-by-att/

PostPosted: 04/07/15 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So far, Breanna Stewart has won the NPOY awards from the AP, the USWBA, the WBCA (Wade Trophy), and now the Naismith.

The only outlier is the ESPNW POY, awarded to Jewell Loyd on March 30, for the ostensible reason that: "In-season performance trumped preseason hype."

Why do Creme, Voepel, Smith and Hays of ESPNW have so different a view from all the other NPOY committees? (Rebecca Lobo of ESPN was singing a similar song as early as January.) Is it just a reasonable difference of opinion about performance and hype, a difference in ballot timing, or does it have something to do with the fact that ESPNW is a ratings-seeking commercial enterprise?
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/07/15 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

just shows how much espn is in UConn's back pocket. Laughing

PostPosted: 04/07/15 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
just shows how much espn is in UConn's back pocket. Laughing
Smile

One to go for a sweep? This is pretty surprising.

ewecon

PostPosted: 04/09/15 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn't that surprising to me. Putting my UConn bias aside, while Lloyd is a great player, Stewart is clearly the best overall player in the game. She scores from everywhere, she defends, she blocks shots, she dishes the ball and she rebounds. If you compare all the stats (with the understanding that it's difficult to compare stats for different positions), they're really not even close. Everyone seems to look only at PPG, which Jewell leads Stewart 19.8 to 17.6.....however, Stewart played almost 4 minutes less per game. They have almost identical points per minute played numbers. Stewart plays on a very well balanced team where all 5 starters average double figures scoring. They don't need her to score 30 points a game, but on a team that doesn't share the ball as UConn does, she could.

Like I said, I'm not surprised at all....that said, I love Jewell Lloyd's game, and I'd take her on my team anytime. She also seems like a really good person....I watched how she handled herself after the loss. During all the post-game craziness, she went out of her way to walk over and hug and congratulate the UConn players. Very classy and skilled young lady. What high profile college sports is supposed to be like.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/09/15 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not surprising. Stewart is like a more athletic Lauren Jackson. Tall and with long arms and she will throw elbows inside. She's a force. I am surprised Auriemma isn't saying something like "We've got Breanna, and you don't."

NickDMB

PostPosted: 04/09/15 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's surprising because most pundits throughout the regular season were suggesting that they would split the awards or even favoring Loyd.

ewecon

PostPosted: 04/09/15 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nick, I agree with you in that respect. Not sure if that says more about the pundits, or Jewell fading a bit the 2nd half of the season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: