RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NCAA upset with law that allows denial of service to gays
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BallState1984

PostPosted: 03/27/15 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not wanting to pay for abortion means one hates gays is a stretch, isn't it?

PostPosted: 03/27/15 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
The reason I had misgivings about this law is apparently alreadu coming to pass. Some stoners are trying to use the law to create a "church".

You just knew some asshole was going to take advantage and create unintended consequences.

More to the point, when the legislators try to enact a law that will allow people to discriminate on the basis of religious beliefs, they can't pick out the religious beliefs they like and don't like without violating the Constitution. And when they try to cloak an anti-gay law in neutral language, they're going to have trouble limiting the impact of the law to gays.

And, for the record, I don't think the stoners are the problem here.

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/27/15 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
Not wanting to pay for abortion means one hates gays is a stretch, isn't it?

That's not what Courtside is saying. Hobby Lobby appears to have created a very broad rule (I say "appears" because it may be that the Court will pull back or will later decide it didn't mean what it said) that applies far beyond the context of that specific decision. Abortion was the context of Hobby Lobby (well, actually, not abortion, but the factually incorrect belief that certain forms of birth control cause extremely early term abortions), but the underlying argument would apply to all manner of government regulations.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/27/15 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
The reason I had misgivings about this law is apparently alreadu coming to pass. Some stoners are trying to use the law to create a "church".

You just knew some asshole was going to take advantage and create unintended consequences.

That's what happens when you pass vague and unnecessary laws. Republicans used to campaign against that sort of thing.

PostPosted: 03/27/15 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about "Until this law is rescinded, no university or college based in the state of Indiana may hold or compete for an NCAA championship." C'mon Indiana, put your money where your mouth (or law) is!

PostPosted: 03/27/15 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dfineguy wrote:
How about "Until this law is rescinded, no university or college based in the state of Indiana may hold or compete for an NCAA championship." C'mon Indiana, put your money where your mouth (or law) is!

The NCAA would have to move their headquarters out of the state before that could happen.

kool-aide

PostPosted: 03/27/15 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

meyers77

PostPosted: 03/27/15 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dfineguy wrote:

This could cause quite a problem since quite a few other states have similar Religious Freedom Restoration laws.
Alabama, Connecticut (uh-oh), Florida (hope you guys aren't gonna watch the women's tourney this year), Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, S. Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia.

Gonna limit a lot of teams and locations. Maybe Duke's got a shot now?

Come on people don't be so easily manipulated.

PostPosted: 03/27/15 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

meyers77 wrote:
dfineguy wrote:

This could cause quite a problem since quite a few other states have similar Religious Freedom Restoration laws.
Alabama, Connecticut (uh-oh), Florida (hope you guys aren't gonna watch the women's tourney this year), Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, S. Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia.

More like Stanford would win every single tournament ever.

Let's see, Stanford doesn't ever get stopped by UConn, the year we lost to Texas A&M and Tennessee would be a new title for the Card.

2005: Michigan State
2006: Maryland
2007: Rutgers
2008: Stanford
2009: Stanford
2010: Stanford
2011: Stanford
2012: Stanford
2013: California
2014: Stanford vs. Maryland National Title Game

Can we do this retroactively please?

scullyfu

PostPosted: 03/27/15 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

meyers77 wrote:
dfineguy wrote:

the key word is 'similar', not 'same'. go back up the thread and read the differences: the other states are based on involvement of a government entity, indiana's does not.

don't be fooled, this is nothing but another opportunity to paint religious people as being victims. its BS, pure and simple.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 03/27/15 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

San Francisco Is First Major City To Boycott Indiana Over LGBT Discrimination Law

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/27/san-francisco-indiana-boycott_n_6957136.html

Howee

PostPosted: 03/28/15 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I can just see what's going to happen the first time a Muslim shopkeeper refuses service to a Christian female because her head isn't covered....OOPSY! Big rethink there......

Really. You'd *think* The Powers That Be might be able to see the many ways this could be turned on them.

scullyfu wrote:
San Francisco Is First Major City To Boycott Indiana Over LGBT Discrimination Law

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/27/san-francisco-indiana-boycott_n_6957136.html

Good on them! Cool

PostPosted: 03/28/15 11:05 am    ::: Re: NCAA upset with law that allows denial of service to gay Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Said it could impact future NCAA events. The Women's Final Four is expected to be played there next year. The men's will be played there this year.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/25123924/ncaa-expresses-concern-over-indiana-religious-freedom-law

I caught part of a news report that indicated several national organizations are threatening to pull out of commitments to hold big conventions in Indianapolis. I don't know enough about this law to make any sort of comment on it. Seems as though it is raising some concerns.

I guess it all comes down to the contracts. And maybe some customers have put down deposits to guarantee the reservations. I wonder if, in the future, customers will add a clause to exempt them from future contracts if a state, county or locality passes a discriminatory law after a contract is signed.

But what kind of people think they are going to get into heaven by refusing service to a customer? Nucking Futs.

larmarch5

PostPosted: 03/28/15 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:

These "churches" sprang up during the Vietnam war as tax protesters and used many tactics to resist supporting what they considered to be an immoral war. One that got investigated down in Texas was The Church of Jesus Christ Lord God Almighty", which for those of you NOT from the south, is what our parents said when they hit their thumbs with a hammer and the kids were listening.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 03/28/15 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd love to see the shitstorm the religious people would start if a gay business owner refused to serve them on account that they were religious.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/28/15 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let Pence and his fools have their law.

Put LARGE signs on the door or in the window of each and every business.

Pretty, bright, colorful, welcoming ones of the businesses that will serve everyone and black ones for those business that wish to discriminate. Then let's see how long before there are no more black signs.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/31/15 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CT. Gov. bans state-funded travel to Indiana.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Malloy-to-Bar-State-Travel-to-Indiana-Amid-Religious-Freedom-Law-Backlash-298010911.html

PostPosted: 03/31/15 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Evidently Arkansas thinks it's a great idea and is passing its own copy of Indiana's law specifically without any of the clarifications Indiana is working on adding.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/31/15 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Evidently Arkansas thinks it's a great idea and is passing its own copy of Indiana's law specifically without any of the clarifications Indiana is working on adding.

Too dumb to see the backlash, I guess.

PostPosted: 03/31/15 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The MAC has announced that it will not hold championships or meetings in Indiana while the law is in effect.

No MAC

Also, the National Forensics Association, which runs the college national public speaking competition (with hundreds of participants) has announced that it is reopening the bidding for its 2016 competition, which was scheduled to be at Ball State, because of the law. This is a big deal personally for me, as I was involved in that competition for many years, as a competitor, a coach and a judge.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/02/15 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, it appears that Indiana may end up adopting a far more explicit carve-out from its RFRA for discrimination claims, including those based on sexual orientation, than exist in any of the other nineteen states with RFRA laws. This is the proposed "fix" released today by the State Senate President and State House Speaker:

As you might imagine those who were pushing for the law in the first place are not happy at the moment since their plan may backfire and result in this being the first time Indiana is even suggesting that sexual orientation and gender identity are protected classifications.

It's not the same as passing a non-discrimination law, but it certainly undoes the damage done by the RFRA, assuming it passes. And I assume it will pass or these two guys wouldn't have stuck their necks out by announcing it.

BTW, best thing I read yesterday is that people in Indiana have organized boycotts of businesses owned by legislators who sponsored or voted for the law, including a long-time family owned ice-supply business that has had a number of restaurants in Indianapolis cancel their contracts. And the mayor of Indianapolis issued an executive order saying anyone with a contract or receiving money from the city has to comply with the city's non-discrimination law or lose their contract.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/02/15 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm going to wait to see if this actually gets a majority in the legislature.

One interesting question is what the Democrats will do. They ought to vote for it, but it may be that they'll make the Republicans come up with a majority for it on their own to drive home the political point.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/02/15 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

One interesting question is what the Democrats will do. They ought to vote for it, but it may be that they'll make the Republicans come up with a majority for it on their own to drive home the political point.

They said it will be passed and signed today. We'll see, but it was negotiated among the Gov and GOP leaders in both houses and business leaders so I assume it's a done deal. NCAA, IU, Lily, and others have already come out congratulating them. They obviously know it's done or they wouldn't have risked embarassing themselves.

BTW, the Dem former Indy mayor came out in support. The Dems would squander their high road if they don't support this but the GOP probably doesn't need their support to pass it.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/02/15 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:

They said it will be passed and signed today. We'll see, but it was negotiated among the Gov and GOP leaders in both houses and business leaders so I assume it's a done deal. NCAA, IU, Lily, and others have already come out congratulating them. They obviously know it's done or they wouldn't have risked embarassing themselves.

BTW, the Dem former Indy mayor came out in support. The Dems would squander their high road if they don't support this but the GOP probably doesn't need their support to pass it.

In Congress, a deal negotiated by GOP leaders might not get enough GOP votes to pass these days, so I'll retain some skepticism about whether they'll all support it (or even enough will support it to get through without Democratic votes). I noticed from the news reports that the Dems were not included in the negotiations and that they have said they're considering whether this language is good enough.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/02/15 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:

In Congress, a deal negotiated by GOP leaders might not get enough GOP votes to pass these days, so I'll retain some skepticism about whether they'll all support it (or even enough will support it to get through without Democratic votes). I noticed from the news reports that the Dems were not included in the negotiations and that they have said they're considering whether this language is good enough.

That's nice, but that doesn't typically happen in state legislatures, and in fact the "fix" bill has already been passed by both houses and is just awaiting the governor's signature. The House passed the changes with a 66-30 vote, and it passed the Senate 34-16.

http://www.wthr.com/story/28698272/clock-is-ticking-on-rfra-clarification-at-indiana-statehouse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: