RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Should Tennessee keep the "Lady Vols" nickname?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should UTenn keep the "Lady Vols" name for all its women's teams?
Yes
56%
 56%  [ 41 ]
No
43%
 43%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 72

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/26/15 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This topic fascinates me and I appreciate both sides of the discussion.

Even though UConn womens teams have never used "Lady", I still hear them referenced that way, always by non-fans, and it always bothers me.

For 25 years I have informed people that there is no Lady prefix. As late as last year I emailed a Hartford TV weatherman (who was surprisingly a dick about it) and even WTIC's (UConn's flagship station) overnight news update guy (who was cool about it).

Personally I see no need for the Lady prefix. I don't get confused about which UConn team is being referenced in any discussion. What is the point of it? UConn has a mens team and a womens team. They are Huskies. Wtf!

However, I can appreciate that people at these schools consider it a term of endearment somehow.

When I hear Baylor referenced as the Lady Bears, and PSU as the Lady Lions, seriously, I laugh. It's so ridiculously quaint and outdated, imo, like those Lady Techsters' short-sleeved jerseys. Smile

But, I'm not ready to condemn a school for keeping that moniker. It's not nearly as vile as Redskins, for example.

Last edited by cthskzfn on 03/26/15 6:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/26/15 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
"UConn Lady Huskies Open NCAA Tournament Saturday Night"

[url]http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/sports/UConn-Lady-Huskies-Open-NCAA-Tournament-Saturday-Night-297126651.html[/url]

Thus the sexist main stream media of the Neanderthal northeast.

jesus h....a cowboy's work is never done...time for another email.

PostPosted: 03/26/15 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"All the success for the Lady Huskies comes on the heels of the men's squad winning the NCAA championship on Monday."

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2014/4/8/5595810/notre-dame-uconn-2014-womens-ncaa-basketball-championship-results-score

And so also the sexist internet magazine sections that specialize in women's [sic] basketball.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/26/15 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
"UConn Lady Huskies Open NCAA Tournament Saturday Night"

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/sports/UConn-Lady-Huskies-Open-NCAA-Tournament-Saturday-Night-297126651.html

Thus the sexist main stream media of the Neanderthal northeast.

Wait. Several people here have assured me that's a compliment. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/26/15 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Some college teams have adapted [the triangle offense], including the Tennessee Lady Vols and UConn's Lady Huskies."

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/TriangleOffense.html

The coach who wrote this technical article was obviously a Republican male.

The sentence is, of course, an insult: UConn never seriously used the confining triangle offense of Lady Tara.
Queenie

PostPosted: 03/26/15 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And this is what drives me nuts about the Lady prefix; it's as if some schools using it gives sportswriters carte blanche to stick it to any and every team, even if that school does not use it, has never used it, and would not find it appropriate.

PostPosted: 03/26/15 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just a liberal war on women or Lady.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/26/15 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Even though UConn womens teams have never used "Lady"

Au contraire, per this ladylike coup de gras: The name "Lady Huskies" has been officially enshrined for many years in the Congressional Record of both the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives by the elected Senators and Representatives of Connecticut.

Senate Resolution 333 (April 7, 2004):

"Mr. DODD (for himself and Mr. LIEBERMAN) [Senate Democrats] submitted the following resolution; which was considered and agreed to: . . .

"Whereas the Lady Huskies became only the second women's basketball team ever to win 3 consecutive national women's basketball titles; . . .

"Whereas Lady Huskies Coach Geno Auriemma is in his 18th season coaching the Huskies and has led them to 18 winning seasons and 5 national titles . . . . "

House of Representatives Resolution 599 (May 4, 2004):

"Mr. SHAYS [Rep. Chris Shays - Democrat]. . . . The perennial champion UConn Lady Huskies won their third straight national championship and fourth in 5 years. That is a dynasty. It is an extraordinary dynasty. The Lady Huskies, led by one of the greatest women players ever to play the game."

Whom are we to believe about the "Ladyness" of the Huskies -- some anonymous internet scribes or the male chauvinist pigs who are the democratically elected Democrat Senators and Representatives of the People's Republic of Nutmeg? I ask you.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/27/15 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:

Hey, I resent that! My politics have nothing to do with my feelings about the Lady Vols name!

PostPosted: 03/27/15 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another reason why the Lady Vols should be kept as the team nickname...

Why shouldn't they be kept separate from the men's teams? If I was a female athlete, I wouldn't want to be associated with the losing men's programs.

The women's programs at Tennessee represent the best of the school. The men's teams represent failure. Power T my ass.

Dave Hart must be grinding his teeth big time with the ammunition he gave to detractors by firing men's basketball coach Donnie Tyndall today.

LADY VOLS FOREVER!
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/27/15 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
Another reason why the Lady Vols should be kept as the team nickname...

Why shouldn't they be kept separate from the men's teams? If I was a female athlete, I wouldn't want to be associated with the losing men's programs.

The women's programs at Tennessee represent the best of the school. The men's teams represent failure. Power T my ass.

Dave Hart must be grinding his teeth big time with the ammunition he gave to detractors by firing men's basketball coach Donnie Tyndall today.

LADY VOLS FOREVER!

Actually Heartless Dave ought to be hiding behind the door from the ammunition he gave them by even hiring Tyndall in the first place. LOSER.

PostPosted: 03/27/15 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I say NO, they should no longer have the nickname. The Tennessee team has had it a long enough time now. Let some other team have it for a while....

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/28/15 5:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm surprised to see so many yes votes.
I've never really liked or understood the Lady thing with so many American sports teams. To me it reeks of trying to distance them from the "real" team - the men's team.
Oh no, they're not the Vols, they're the Lady Vols. Ewww don't mix them up!

Thank goodness the WNBA didn't go that route. I may possibly have disliked the LA Lady Lakers even more than I disliked the Sparks Razz

PostPosted: 03/28/15 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
I've never really liked or understood the Lady thing with so many American sports teams. To me it reeks of trying to distance them from the "real" team - the men's team.

Thank goodness the WNBA didn't go that route. I may possibly have disliked the LA Lady Lakers even more than I disliked the Sparks Razz

Nah, then they'd just be the Ladies of the Lake, and you'd have had to worry about LLL hurling swords at people.

PostPosted: 03/28/15 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Nah, then they'd just be the Ladies of the Lake, and you'd have had to worry about LLL hurling swords at people.

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!

PostPosted: 03/28/15 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

For me the whole don't mix them up credo would be because I wouldn't want the women's teams associated with the shittastically bad men's teams.
GEF34

PostPosted: 03/28/15 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beemer wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Beemer wrote:
tfan wrote:
The boss likes him but he sounds like a jerk. Very frustrating combo to have to deal with.

Quote:

In his three years as UT's athletics director, Hart has attracted controversy while being given increased authority on campus by UT Chancellor Jimmy Cheek, who made Hart a vice chancellor and member of his Cabinet

Under Hart's leadership, more than half of the athletics board that provides oversight of the department was dismissed, and then the board began meeting in secret and said it has stopped taking meeting minutes. Hart was involved in a public disagreement with the school's marching band director, Dr. Gary Sousa. The disagreement led to Sousa, a tenured professor, losing his position running the band because of claims of insubordination, though he has kept his faculty job.

Quote:

- Of the 15 people laid off under Hart's consolidation plan, 12 were women.

- Of the eight-member leadership team created by Hart, seven are men, with NCAA rules mandating a senior woman administrator[/list].

I don't have a dog in this hunt but I have to say this information is very disturbing.

It is one thing to try to reduce costs but when an AD seemingly targets one group for the deepest cuts that is a red flag.

You might want to consider that you're only being given one side of the story. I don't have a dog in this hunt either, but Hart is a very experienced and well regarded administrator. He was Executive Director of Athletics at Alabama, AD at East Carolina, and long time AD at FSU before taking the Tenn job. He wasn't some unqualified drinking buddy of the Chancellor as has been suggested. His son is or was AD at UTC as well, I believe.

Everybody who gets cut and their friends and allies always raise hell about it, particularly in university settings. I found it interesting that one of the beefs here was about using recorded music at football games. A lot of schools have started doing that because it tends to get the fans louder and more involved. There was a big stink at Notre Dame from former band members and their friends when ND did the very same thing a couple of years ago. But Jack Swarbrick is a terrific and highly successful AD. Maybe using recorded music isn't necessarily a sign of incompetence after all. Maybe most of the complaints are the same thing that happens at every school when the administration tries to change things that people have gotten used to.

The red flags for me are the athletics board meeting in secret and that of 15 positions cut 12 were held by women. It was my understanding that the two departments were being merged (?) but it looks instead like Hart was less than even handed about it. Whether it was intentional or not I don't know but it doesn't look good, and neither does meeting in secret for any reason. What is he up to that he doesn't want anyone to know?

I know nobody likes change but sometimes it is needed. Hart seems to have alienated people who might have supported his changes if he'd just been more tactful about what he was doing and why. Maybe he feels tact isn't necessary because he has the full support of the UT Chancellor.

I think it is too bad all of this is happening, I don't think it is good for the university or the athletes.

Was it only women the worked on the women's side and only men that worked on the men side? If there were women that were on the men's side and men on the women's side and some women from the men's side that were let go, it's a little different than all people from the women side as you are interpreting it.

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/28/15 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

For me the whole don't mix them up credo would be because I wouldn't want the women's teams associated with the sh************ bad men's teams.

If that's the case than all schools with great men's programs and weak women's programs, they should disassociate themselves from the women's teams, and all schools that have winning teams and losing teams, all the winning teams should disassociate themselves from the looking teams. Those scenarios would go over really well. Rolling Eyes

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/28/15 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

For me the whole don't mix them up credo would be because I wouldn't want the women's teams associated with the sh************ bad men's teams.

If that's the case than all schools with great men's programs and weak women's programs, they should disassociate themselves from the women's teams, and all schools that have winning teams and losing teams, all the winning teams should disassociate themselves from the looking teams. Those scenarios would go over really well. Rolling Eyes

You mean you don't think schools should change back and forth every year or two based on the relative success of the men's and women's teams?

And what team drives it? What if the MBB team goes to the FF, but the FB team is 0-12? Should the women's teams asociate or disassociate? Rolling Eyes

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/28/15 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

For me the whole don't mix them up credo would be because I wouldn't want the women's teams associated with the shittastically bad men's teams.

Well, to put it mildly, I don't have a very high opinion of that line of reasoning.

PostPosted: 03/28/15 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:

Hey, I resent that! My politics have nothing to do with my feelings about the Lady Vols name!

Only liberal feel that way, got to tell everyone what to thank and how to live.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/28/15 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:

Get over it and take your politics off the court, please.

PostPosted: 03/29/15 7:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!

You two win the thread.

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 03/29/15 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:

Get over it and take your politics off the court, please.

You are the one trying to tell us what to say and thank, we don't need a liberal war on women to tell us what to thank, you can take your thinking and put it where the sun don't shine. It is a shame that the most honer you can give a women the liberals hate it. These young women has earned it with all there sweat they haven given for there team. I love the Lady Vol's, Basketball, Softball and all there sports.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/29/15 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So do I, I have no problem with the Lady Vols name and I just objected to anyone's politics being brought into question. Mine obviously differ from yours but I'm firmly on the same side as you as regards the name and that has nothing to do with politics, which is why I said keep the politics out of it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: