RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2015 Coaching Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 03/26/15 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What happened at Santa Barbara? Did people not want to play for her? Seems like she did OK, if not great, with the players that were there when she got there.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 03/26/15 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
There's no reason UCSB can't be successful in women's basketball, but Carlene Mitchell's four-year reign of error has pretty much scorched and burned the program. It will take some time to get back on track, and there's no guarantee ...

Rebuilding from such a disastrous coach at a place like UCSB in the highly competitive mid-major state of California is going to take a long, long time, even for a very good young coach.

Clay, you might be the best candidate to take over the job.
You have coached for years, often with winning records, you know much of the HS talent in California. I dont think relocating from the Bay area to SB would be bad.

petrel

PostPosted: 03/26/15 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lafayette added to the list

http://www.patriotleague.org/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/032615aab.html

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/27/15 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
ClayK wrote:
There's no reason UCSB can't be successful in women's basketball, but Carlene Mitchell's four-year reign of error has pretty much scorched and burned the program. It will take some time to get back on track, and there's no guarantee ...

Rebuilding from such a disastrous coach at a place like UCSB in the highly competitive mid-major state of California is going to take a long, long time, even for a very good young coach.

Clay, you might be the best candidate to take over the job.
You have coached for years, often with winning records, you know much of the HS talent in California. I dont think relocating from the Bay area to SB would be bad.

Santa Barbara is beautiful and at some level, I think all of us would like to try college coaching -- but that level is buried pretty deep. I know I would be a disaster, and way, way over my head.

That's a tough and complicated business, and it's a young person's profession, no doubt.

It's easy to sit in the stands and criticize and say this should happen or that should happen, but the reality is that there are so many moving parts, and so many complexities, that no one outside can really understand what's going on.

That said, because there has been success at Santa Barbara in the past, it would seem that the right person could be successful there too -- though who that right person is I have no idea. Well, I do know it isn't me, and anyone else who has zero experience coaching at the college level.

PostPosted: 03/27/15 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
loneycafe wrote:
Twitter exchange today between Mike Flynn and @womenhoopsscoop

From Flynn:
@wbballhoopscoop I keep hearing the @Duke_WBB rumors & now the @VandyWBB rumors to go with it. The music is playing. @womhoopsguru @wparker

From hoops scoop
@MikeFlynn826 @Duke_WBB @VandyWBB @womhoopsguru @wparker drumbeats are getting louder for sure. Is it 2 far fetched jpm looks at ku?
12:15pm - 20 Mar 15

Is JPC still married to a UNC professor? Does anyone know?

Thanks for the info. rofl
Duke Coach Joanne P. McCallie is married to John McCallie, who has a position at UNC. He'll get a part time gig at some university if JPM takes another job. There was no job for him at Duke, perhaps due to him being arrested for biting a security officer.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/28/15 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
loneycafe wrote:

From Flynn:
@wbballhoopscoop I keep hearing the @Duke_WBB rumors & now the @VandyWBB rumors to go with it. The music is playing. @womhoopsguru @wparker

From hoops scoop
@MikeFlynn826 @Duke_WBB @VandyWBB @womhoopsguru @wparker drumbeats are getting louder for sure. Is it 2 far fetched jpm looks at ku?

Duke Coach Joanne P. McCallie is married to John McCallie, who has a position at UNC. He'll get a part time gig at some university if JPM takes another job. There was no job for him at Duke, perhaps due to him being arrested for biting a security officer.

Many, many longtime DWB fans are hoping and praying for an announcement soon. Would love to have a coach come in who will know how to use the talented guards coming in. Plus turn the highly ranked post players into effective players next year.

Would love to be getting excited for next year. There's only one thing that would lead to that happening.

~rAf
goforit77

PostPosted: 03/30/15 7:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
loneycafe wrote:

From Flynn:

From hoops scoop

Many, many longtime DWB fans are hoping and praying for an announcement soon. Would love to have a coach come in who will know how to use the talented guards coming in. Plus turn the highly ranked post players into effective players next year.

Would love to be getting excited for next year. There's only one thing that would lead to that happening.

Don't get your hopes up...I have heard that there is no offer to buy her out....If you hear it from any other source than Mike Flynn then you can start to get hopeful...Could be a big smoke screen in Durham but I doubt it.

Have you heard anything from anybody but Mike Flynn??

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 03/30/15 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kip Drown to be HC at Georgia Southern ... http://www.chieftain.com/news/3474493-120/drown-pueblo-georgia-division

icey23

PostPosted: 03/30/15 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anything on Georgia?

PostPosted: 03/30/15 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

goforit77 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
loneycafe wrote:

From Flynn:

From hoops scoop

Don't get your hopes up...I have heard that there is no offer to buy her out....If you hear it from any other source than Mike Flynn then you can start to get hopeful...Could be a big smoke screen in Durham but I doubt it.

Have you heard anything from anybody but Mike Flynn??

Heard the exact same thing from many different and diverse sources. Mike Flynn being on the lowest end of credibility and others being on a much higher end of credibility.

~rAf
PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 03/30/15 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is talk on the UGA 247sports board that Cheryl Miller either will be or has been hired with an announcement expected this week. Keep in mind that there is absolutely no way to confirm this. She played and coached at USC and in the WNBA. She is currently coaching at NAIA Langston.

icey23 wrote:
Anything on Georgia?

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/30/15 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
There is talk on the UGA 247sports board that Cheryl Miller either will be or has been hired with an announcement expected this week. Keep in mind that there is absolutely no way to confirm this. She played and coached at USC and in the WNBA. She is currently coaching at NAIA Langston.

icey23 wrote:
Anything on Georgia?

I guess I will withhold judgement but gotta say my initial reaction is...yuck.

ladydawgs96

PostPosted: 03/31/15 6:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

icey23 wrote:
Anything on Georgia?

I wonder about the validity of this. I know she has been being mentioned a lot recently, but other names that have been mentioned are still coaching as assistants and I would think they'd interview this week in Tampa.

In terms of Miller, I will hope for the best, but it seems like she bores easily and changes jobs a lot. Last year, she couldn't get hired at any of the schools she interviewed at, because the last time she recruited highschoolers (and only for two years) was before any of these kids were even born. I'm sure that someone other than her buddy Garrett, would've taken the risk at a lower Power 5 or a smaller school. This isn't the reach a school like Georgia should be taking, unless it is all about $.

It WOULD BE underwhelming hire, considering the other names that have been mentioned.

edited to change "it is" to "would be"

Last edited by ladydawgs96 on 03/31/15 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 03/31/15 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ladydawgs96 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

icey23 wrote:
Anything on Georgia?

I wonder about the validity of this. I know she has been being mentioned a lot recently, but other names that have been mentioned are still coaching as assistants and I would think they'd interview this week in Tampa.

In terms of Miller, I will hope for the best, but it seems like she bores easily and changes jobs a lot. Last year, she couldn't get hired at any of the schools she interviewed at, because the last time she recruited highschoolers (and only for two years) was before any of these kids were even born. I'm sure that someone other than her buddy Garrett, would've taken the risk at a lower Power 5 or a smaller school. This isn't the reach a school like Georgia should be taking, unless it is all about $.

It is an underwhelming hire, considering the other names that have been mentioned.

You are absolutely right.

cometsfan05

PostPosted: 03/31/15 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:

icey23 wrote:
Anything on Georgia?

I hope this is false. Great player. Terrible coach. They could do much better.

icey23

PostPosted: 03/31/15 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cometsfan05 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

icey23 wrote:
Anything on Georgia?

This is a lie! She only lost 3 games at Langston this year

PostPosted: 03/31/15 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone know who else is being/has been considered?

PostPosted: 03/31/15 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

icey23 wrote:
cometsfan05 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

icey23 wrote:
Anything on Georgia?

Oh wow! Langston that is such a HUGE accomplishment. Rolling Eyes

AJMMs

PostPosted: 03/31/15 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cometsfan05 wrote:
icey23 wrote:
cometsfan05 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

icey23 wrote:
Anything on Georgia?

This was a duplicate post and it says I cannot delete my posts in this forum so I just chose to edit. My apologies to the forum.

Last edited by AJMMs on 03/31/15 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
AJMMs

PostPosted: 03/31/15 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cometsfan05 wrote:
icey23 wrote:
cometsfan05 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

icey23 wrote:
Anything on Georgia?

This interested me enough to flashback to the days of when she was coaching at USC in the mid-90s. I credit Miller for getting me interested in women's basketball way back when she was in high school at Riverside Poly and I was a year away from high school myself. I remember reading about the 100 points she scored in a high school game and then I had to opportunity to watch her Riverside Poly team beat Los Gatos for the state title on a local TV station. I have always been a UCLA fan because of the men's basketball team and football team (I chose to be a fan of UCLA over USC early because of my big bro). I was a big fan of Miller until she chose USC over UCLA and then I rooted vehemently against her and the Trojans. I was ecstatic when UCLA, led by Jackie Joyner Kersee, swept Miller and USC twice in 1985-86 and that fueled my love of UCLA women's basketball. I still like Miller as a person and a player and I credit her for getting me into women's basketball, but here's a story about when she abruptly left the coaching position at USC to take the TNT NBA broadcasting job she held. Hopefully she's grown and changed her mind-set when it comes to her players.

http://articles.latimes.com/1995-09-16/sports/sp-46494_1_cheryl-miller

cometsfan05

PostPosted: 04/01/15 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AJMMs wrote:
cometsfan05 wrote:
icey23 wrote:
cometsfan05 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

icey23 wrote:
Anything on Georgia?

This interested me enough to flashback to the days of when she was coaching at USC in the mid-90s. I credit Miller for getting me interested in women's basketball way back when she was in high school at Riverside Poly and I was a year away from high school myself. I remember reading about the 100 points she scored in a high school game and then I had to opportunity to watch her Riverside Poly team beat Los Gatos for the state title on a local TV station. I have always been a UCLA fan because of the men's basketball team and football team (I chose to be a fan of UCLA over USC early because of my big bro). I was a big fan of Miller until she chose USC over UCLA and then I rooted vehemently against her and the Trojans. I was ecstatic when UCLA, led by Jackie Joyner Kersee, swept Miller and USC twice in 1985-86 and that fueled my love of UCLA women's basketball. I still like Miller as a person and a player and I credit her for getting me into women's basketball, but here's a story about when she abruptly left the coaching position at USC to take the TNT NBA broadcasting job she held. Hopefully she's grown and changed her mind-set when it comes to her players.

This! I doubt she's grown. Especially if she's so willing to leave the current job she's at reportedly for another one. Once again.

She's not worth the risk.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/01/15 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cometsfan05 wrote:
AJMMs wrote:
cometsfan05 wrote:
icey23 wrote:
cometsfan05 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

icey23 wrote:
Anything on Georgia?

This! I doubt she's grown. Especially if she's so willing to leave the current job she's at reportedly for another one. Once again.

Uh, really? Langston >>> UGA? Wouldn't you, given the chance? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 04/01/15 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
cometsfan05 wrote:
AJMMs wrote:
cometsfan05 wrote:
icey23 wrote:
cometsfan05 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

icey23 wrote:
Anything on Georgia?

Uh, really? Langston >>> UGA? Wouldn't you, given the chance? Rolling Eyes

Lol @ your comprehension . She's not a good coach. Whatever school she is coaching at now. Does not change that. She could be another SEC school, and I would think the same.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/01/15 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*shrug* You are entitled to your opinion.

PostPosted: 04/01/15 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
ladydawgs96 wrote:

It is an underwhelming hire, considering the other names that have been mentioned.

You are absolutely right.

Who are "the other names that have been mentioned"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 4 of 14

Jump to: