RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2015 WNIT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cattekin

PostPosted: 03/26/15 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:

Wednesday, March 25
Saint Mary's at Sacramento St, 10 p.m.

Maybe an ugly end of the line for the Gaels, who were last in the WCC in turnover margin, while the Hornets lead the nation.

Pacific beat St. Mary's twice for getting the better of the swarm-vs.-lunchbucket style matchup, and Sacramento St. beat Pacific in the first WNIT round for a more effective press.

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/27/15 3:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is the game schedule for the Quarterfinals:

Sunday, March 29
Villanova at West Virginia, 2 p.m. ET
Michigan at Southern Miss, 3 p.m. ET
Temple at Middle Tennessee, 5 p.m. ET
Saint Mary's at UCLA, 5 p.m. ET

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/27/15 6:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thursday's results:

Villanova 63, St. John's 55
Temple 80, NC State 79 OT
Michigan 65, Missouri 55
West Virginia 60, Duquesne 39
Middle Tennessee 82, Ole Miss 70
UCLA 74, Northern Colorado 60
Saint Mary's 77, Sacramento St 69

IM in OC

PostPosted: 03/27/15 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:

Sunday, March 29
Villanova - 76 at West Virginia - 75,
Michigan - 67 at Southern Miss - 80,
Temple - 143 at Middle Tennessee - 66
Saint Mary's - 60 at UCLA - 93

I added RPI's, from the NCAA site(as of 3/14/15)

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/27/15 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

Sunday, March 29
Villanova - 76 at West Virginia - 75,
Michigan - 67 at Southern Miss - 80,
Temple - 143 at Middle Tennessee - 66
Saint Mary's - 60 at UCLA - 93

I added RPI's, from the NCAA site(as of 3/14/15)

Love the old school BEast matchup between Villanova and WVU.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/27/15 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If UCLA and Michigan were to meet, we'd have a twin match up in sophomores Danielle and Dominque Williams. Danielle's a part-time starter/defensive stopper at Michigan. Dominique is a lightly used reserve at UCLA.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/29/15 6:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quarterfinals
Sunday, March 29
Villanova at West Virginia, 2 p.m. ET
Michigan at Southern Miss, 3 p.m. ET
Temple at Middle Tennessee, 5 p.m. ET
Saint Mary's at UCLA, 5 p.m. ET

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 03/29/15 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Free video of the St. Mary's/UCLA game on now.

http://pac-12.com/videos/ucla

PostPosted: 03/29/15 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quarterfinals:
Sunday, March 29
West Virginia 75, Villanova 70 OT
Michigan 69, Southern Miss 60
Temple 69, Middle Tennessee 57
UCLA 82, Saint Mary's 66

The semi-finals will be Wednesday night at 7:00: UCLA at Michigan and Temple at West Virginia.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/29/15 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The leftover 'majors' have made a statement here. Home court will be huge from here on out.

- Amanda Gorman
mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/30/15 5:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
The leftover 'majors' have made a statement here. Home court will be huge from here on out.

Hosting is all about attendance, too.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/30/15 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Everyone wants more respect for mid-majors, but the truth is the Power 5 conferences have more resources, a better tradition and their mid-level teams are, in most cases, deeper and better than the mid-major teams they are compared to.

I wish it were otherwise ...

PostPosted: 03/30/15 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At least mid-majors still have a chance to win, which you can't really say for the Final Four.

Snippets from the WNIT site:

2005 Southwest Missouri State (now Missouri State) defeated West Virginia 78-70 in the championship....
2006 Kansas State overcame a one-point halftime deficit and Marquette's hot 3-point shooting to win the WNIT championship....
2007 In the 10th year of the Postseason WNIT, Wyoming rolled with six straight wins, including a 72-56 victory over Wisconsin in the championship...
2008 - Marquette beat the odds and became the first team to win three road games in the Postseason WNIT. The Golden Eagles topped Michigan State 81-66 in front of 7,818 fans at the Breslin Center to capture their first postseason championship.
2009 - South Florida relied on veteran leadership and took a cue from the 2008 Marquette team to win three straight road games, including a championship at Kansas.....
2010 California won six straight games, including two on the road, to capture its first national title. The Golden Bears defeated Miami 73-61 in a championship game that showcased some of the nations best up-and-coming players.
2011 Toledo steamrolled its way to a championship that energized the entire community. The Rockets hosted all six games, defeating Delaware, Auburn, Alabama, Syracuse, Charlotte, and USC....
2012 Oklahoma State wrapped up an emotional season that started with the Cowgirls losing head coach Kurt Budke and assistant coach Miranda Serna in a plane crash. The season ended with an amazing storybook finish as the Cowgirls won six straight games, defeating JMU 75-68 in the championship to win the Postseason WNIT title.
2013 - Drexel hit a go-ahead layup with 22 seconds left, then added two free throws in the final seconds to seal the 46-43 victory for the Dragons. It was the first Postseason WNIT title for a Colonial Athletic Association team. (beat Utah)
2014 - Rutgers' Tyler Scaife drove the length of the court and hit a layup with 2 seconds on the clock to give the Scarlet Knights a 56-54 victory and their first Postseason WNIT championship. Rutgers defeated UTEP in front of a capacity crowd of 12,222 at the Don Haskins Center, which sold out in less than two hours.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/30/15 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was kind of nice to see who beat who over the last 10 years, but I could have just posted this:

Past Champions

2014 Rutgers
2013 Drexel
2012 Oklahoma State
2011 Toledo
2010 California
2009 South Florida
2008 Marquette
2007 Wyoming
2006 Kansas State
2005 Missouri State
2004 Creighton
2003 Auburn
2002 Oregon
2001 Ohio State
2000 Wisconsin
1999 Arkansas
1998 Penn State

pwhite66

PostPosted: 03/30/15 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Drexel won the NIT in 2013 and Toledo in 2011. UTEP was in last year's final, and JMU played in the title game two years before that. So four of the last eight finalists and two of the past four champions have come from the group Clay cautions against giving more respect.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/30/15 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't have all the information but it would be interesting to know which teams, similar to Michigan State this year, decided NOT to participate in the WNIT.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/30/15 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
I don't have all the information but it would be interesting to know which teams, similar to Michigan State this year, decided NOT to participate in the WNIT.

Wasn't Rutgers kept out more than once because Stringer declined?

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/30/15 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

Maybe just once...

She threatened in 2010 but then they ended up making the NCAA field.
http://blogs.mycentraljersey.com/rutgers/2010/02/25/rutgers-loss-could-mean-no-postseason/

Quote:
I guarantee I wont be coaching a team that goes to the NIT, she said. So if we dont go the NCAA, we aint going. Im not going to the NIT. Thats second, in my opinion, and I never will accept that. Never have accepted it. So dont even ask me that question. Ever.

What will she do instead at a time when Rutgers has been in the NCAA Tournament for the past seven seasons?

Id rather leave the country because I cant be here in March, Stringer said. I cant even stay in my own skin. When it happens, I want to get far away basketball. I dont want to see no games. I dont want to see nothing that reminds me. I can put a wig on. Rastafarian or whatever. Pretend Im somebody else. I can guarantee you the minute this is over, Im going on an island somewhere but nowhere near basketball.

Then they declined in 2013.

If I recall the buzz correctly, she was basically forced to accept in 2014 and then ended up winning it all.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/30/15 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

I think it has happened a few times...and that surely opens up more opportunities for mids.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/30/15 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Southern California declined in 2010.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20100315/ucla-in-usc-out-of-ncaa-womens-basketball-tournament

Then there was the very odd move by Pam Borton at Minnesota to commit to the WBI instead of the WNIT.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_20159648/gophers-women-dont-wait-wnit-bid-accept-berth

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/30/15 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do we know who was invited and declined? Vandy sure didn't go anywhere this year.

PostPosted: 03/30/15 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Do we know who was invited and declined? Vandy sure didn't go anywhere this year.

I don't know of any list like that. But Vandy's record was 15-16 according to the schedule page on the school's website and you have to have a .500 overall record to get an at-large big to the WNIT (the automatic bid from a conference can have a below .500 overall record though I believe).

ladydawgs96

PostPosted: 03/30/15 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

The only ones we know for sure are the automatic invites, the top team in the standings who didn't go to the tournament. So, if there is a team that finished above another team in their league's standings, it is safe to assume that they declined a bid.

Before Landers' retirement announcement on selection Monday, he had said that Georgia would decline an invite if one was extended (Missouri was the SEC automatic qualifier).

tfan

PostPosted: 03/30/15 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't like coaches making a decision to not go to the WNIT. If Stringer or Landers or whoever, doesn't want to coach, stay home and let the assistants do it.

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/31/15 12:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I don't like coaches making a decision to not go to the WNIT. If Stringer or Landers or whoever, doesn't want to coach, stay home and let the assistants do it.

Assuming of course the team would want to play in the tournament, not all players want to play in the WNIT. I know some schools in the past have declined an invite because not all of the players wanted to commit to playing in the WNIT. I know in one case a few years ago the seniors on the team wanted to get on with their lives, finishing school, getting ready for pro tryouts, looking for a job, etc. so the team declined an invite.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: