RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big 10 Tournament 2015
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win the 2015 Big Ten Tournament?
#1 Maryland
48%
 48%  [ 17 ]
#2 Iowa
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
#3 Ohio State
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
#4 Northwestern
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
#5 Rutgers
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
#6 Minnesota
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
#7 Nebraska
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
#8 Michigan
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
#9 Michigan State
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
#10 Illinois
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
#11 Wisconsin
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
#12 Indiana
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
#13 Penn State
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
#14 Purdue
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 35

dinkytown

PostPosted: 03/01/15 4:59 pm    ::: Big 10 Tournament 2015 Reply Reply with quote

Seeds and the bracket are set for Hoffman Estates, IL. Who will win it all!?

Tournament Bracket

Wednesday, March 4 - BTN Plus
5:00 PM CT - (12) Indiana v. (13) Penn State
7:30 PM CT - (11) Wisconsin v. (14) Purdue

Thursday, March 5 - Big Ten Network
11:30 AM CT - (8) Michigan v. (9) Michigan State
2:00 PM CT - (5) Rutgers v. Indiana/Penn St winner
6:00 PM CT - (7) Nebraska v. (10) Illinois
8:30 PM CT - (6) Minnesota v. Wisconsin/Purdue winner

Friday, March 6 - Big Ten Network
11:30 AM CT - (1) Maryland v. Michigan/Michigan St winner
2:00 PM CT - (4) Northwestern v. Rutgers/Indiana/Penn St winner
6:00 PM CT - (2) Iowa v. Nebraska/Illinois winner
8:30 PM CT - (3) Ohio State v. Minnesota/Wisconsin/Purdue winner

Saturday, March 7 - Big Ten Network
6:00 PM CT - Semifinal #1
8:30 PM CT - Semifinal #2

Sunday, March 8 - ESPN
6:00 PM CT - Championship

Regular season standings:
Code:
Maryland     18-0   27-2
Iowa         14-4   23-6
Ohio State   13-5   21-9
Northwestern 12-6   22-7
Rutgers      12-6   21-8
Minnesota    11-7   22-8
Nebraska     10-8   20-9
Michigan      8-10  16-13
Michigan St   7-11  15-14
Illinois      6-12  15-15
Wisconsin     5-13  9-19
Indiana       4-14  14-15
Penn State    3-15  6-23
Purdue        3-15  10-19

dinkytown

PostPosted: 03/03/15 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kinda cool -- OSU's play by play guy Marty Bannister invited radio crews from around the league to preview the Big Ten Tournament on this podcast:

http://www.971thefan.com/content/blogs/locker-room/2015/03/big-ten-womens-tournament-preview.html

Everyone is going with Maryland and Ohio State is the favorite to upset them. Also, Maryland only does 5 radio games a year!? Confused

oops - didn't see gopher5 posted this in the other thread!

ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/03/15 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:
Also, Maryland only does 5 radio games a year!? Confused

Thanks to BTN, BTN+ (mostly) and ESPN2, CBS and Comcast SportsNet, Maryland only had 3 games that weren't televised or streamed during the regular season. I think the other 2 radio games may have been pre-season exhibitions.

dinkytown wrote:
oops - didn't see gopher5 posted this in the other thread!

thanks to both of you for the links!

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/03/15 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

just as in the other major conferences, almost anybody can beat anybody else on any particular night. I kinda like Iowa and Minnesota as possibles for some upsets. Minnesota in particular however is hampered by depth and having to play an extra game I think ( and of course the loss of Banham was humongous, as well as Theriot for Nebraska)

- Amanda Gorman
ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/03/15 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't I hear one of the BTN announcers say that the regular season champ has only won the B1G Tourney 5 times?!!!

I guess that makes Maryland the underdog. Very Happy

Shades

PostPosted: 03/03/15 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Only 3 teams have gone undefeated in Big Ten's history. The last team to do it won the national championship.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
bucks4now

PostPosted: 03/03/15 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maryland in the upper bracket. Iowa, Minnesota, or OSU in the lower bracket. I do think the double;e bye will help Iowa and OSU. 3 days with 7 players will be a challenge if OSU gets thru.

I kept telling my friend that OSU was going to beat Nebraska. He asked me what makes this year different. I told him that this team can actually score! But the thing I like best about this team is that they are fearless and relentless. That's a combination you can't really teach. When something happens, they just keep going. AND, they can score in bunches. On the road they were down by 20 points at Michigan, went to double overtime before losing. At Purdue, very similar situation. Down by double digits in the second half sent it to overtime and winning that one.

It will be fun to watch all the games.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 03/03/15 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maryland in the upper bracket. Iowa, Minnesota, or OSU in the lower bracket. I do think the double;e bye will help Iowa and OSU. 3 days with 7 players will be a challenge if OSU gets thru.

I kept telling my friend that OSU was going to beat Nebraska. He asked me what makes this year different. I told him that this team can actually score! But the thing I like best about this team is that they are fearless and relentless. That's a combination you can't really teach. When something happens, they just keep going. AND, they can score in bunches. On the road they were down by 20 points at Michigan, went to double overtime before losing. At Purdue, very similar situation. Down by double digits in the second half sent it to overtime and winning that one.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 03/03/15 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wisconsin got handed a brutal draw. I mean, Purdue is fine, but imagine having to play Zahui B. and then Kelsey Mitchell in back to back games. (If they win two games anyway. I'm pretty stunned that Northwestern is the four seed at the end of the day.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/03/15 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
I'm pretty stunned that Northwestern is the four seed at the end of the day.

In part that's a product of unbalanced scheduling. NW got Wisconsin, Ill, Mich, Iowa, and MSU twice right in the midst of their mid-season swoon. MD, Rutgers, Nebraska, and Minn each only once. Considering how bunched things were, unbalanced scheduling could easily have boosted NW's seed by as much as three spots.

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/03/15 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I'm pretty stunned that Northwestern is the four seed at the end of the day.

In part that's a product of unbalanced scheduling. NW got Wisconsin, Ill, Mich, Iowa, and MSU twice right in the midst of their mid-season swoon. MD, Rutgers, Nebraska, and Minn each only once. Considering how bunched things were, unbalanced scheduling could easily have boosted NW's seed by as much as three spots.

Not that I'm convinced it would have mattered given the final score, but Northwestern also got RU with Rachel Hollivay out. She's expected back for the tourney.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/04/15 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Only 3 teams have gone undefeated in Big Ten's history. The last team to do it won the national championship.

They were #1 in the polls at the time too, though.

bacabuck

PostPosted: 03/04/15 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:

Agree with all of this...........especially the "relentless" part. This is what, I believe, gives us a shot in this tournament.

We play run, run, run, shoot, shoot, shoot, basketball. In the last 5 or 6 minutes both teams get sloppy of course, because both are running out of gas. It is not "pretty" basketball,.........but it can be effective.

In the games we win we play a little less sloppy (at the end), than our opponent,......a little "more sloppy" in the games we lose. So "here's to less sloppy"!........Go Buckeyes!

Shades

PostPosted: 03/04/15 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:

Do you really put the polls in that high of regard? You see how they work. Being #1 is such a fleeting thing. Just think if UConn would have had constant competition like Maryland did. Odds are more likely that someone else would have tripped them up on "one of those nights". Imagine if you are capable that Hrynko hits just one or two more FT (instead of going 5-16) the night they play ND. Imagine if you are capable that Greenwell doesn't mess up in the waining seconds of SC game. Extreme luck was needed by both of the favored teams those nights. I don't like to base things on extreme luck. The way these polls are determined, Maryland is really a #2 team disguised as a #4 team.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/04/15 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:

Do you really put the polls in that high of regard? You see how they work. Being #1 is such a fleeting thing. Just think if UConn would have had constant competition like Maryland did. Odds are more likely that someone else would have tripped them up on "one of those nights". Imagine if you are capable that Hrynko hits just one or two more FT (instead of going 5-16) the night they play ND. Imagine if you are capable that Greenwell doesn't mess up in the waining seconds of SC game. Extreme luck was needed by both of the favored teams those nights. I don't like to base things on extreme luck. The way these polls are determined, Maryland is really a #2 team disguised as a #4 team.

I don't believe Maryland is better than UConn and should be favored to win the Championship, just like how I never believed Stanford was better than UConn like a majoirty of the country did at the beginning of the season. Plus Notre Dame beat Maryland by 20 earlier this year, and Maryland's competition this season isn't any better than UConn's.

Last edited by SpaceJunkie on 03/04/15 11:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Shades

PostPosted: 03/04/15 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Maryland's competition this season isn't any better than UConn's.

Are you talking conference games?

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/04/15 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:

Except for Iowa (who Maryland only beat by 5), the rest of the top Big Ten teams are pretty much no different level of competition than South Florida. I bet UConn could've gone undefeated in the Big Ten, and probably not have any scares (like barely beating Minnesota) in the process.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/04/15 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:

Except for Iowa (who Maryland only beat by 5), the rest of the top Big Ten teams are pretty much no different level of competition than South Florida. I bet UConn could've gone undefeated in the Big Ten, and probably not have any scares (like barely beating Minnesota) in the process.

The difference being that at least 4-5 of the Big Ten are about on par with South Florida who is by far the best in the AAC. Let's get real here. But one can't argue that UConn would likely go undefeated in the B10...or most any other league.

- Amanda Gorman
PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/04/15 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:

The difference being that at least 4-5 of the Big Ten are about on par with South Florida who is by far the best in the AAC. Let's get real here. But one can't argue that UConn would likely go undefeated in the B10...or most any other league.

I don't think there is much doubt that UConn would go undefeated in the B1G, or most any other league.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/04/15 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:

I don't see why you worship UConn as much as you do. The two toughest road games UConn had this year were Stanford and UND. UConn lost to Stanford and beat UND by 18. But as art would point out, UND was down an inexperienced starter. UConn, like UND, tend to schedule their toughest games at home. They're smart enough to realize that home court advantage is huge.

Even though they get most of the best recruits, UConn is not a particularly deep team, right? So yeah, going against actual competition might actually wear on them as they would be forced to give heavier minutes to starters. Stewie and KML are highly conditioned athletes? Obviously.

Also, there's only one AAC team on your sacred poll, so duh.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/04/15 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I hate the polls, or why would I always make fun of them for once having South Carolina #1 every week. Smile

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/04/15 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
UConn, like UND, tend to schedule their toughest games at home.

How do you get to the remarkable conclusion that ND schedules its toughest games for home?

ND has no control over its conference schedule.

ND has no control over the opponent or location for the ACC-Big10 Challenge game.

ND plays Tenn home-and-home
ND is playing UConn home-and-home
ND has been playing UCLA, MichSt, Michigan, and DePaul home-and-home.
Last year ND played at Oregon St.

Can you please explain your statement?

Shades

PostPosted: 03/04/15 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:

I hate the polls, or why would I always make fun of them for once having South Carolina #1 every week. Smile

I guess you just say whatever comes to your mind even though you don't believe what you're saying.

SpaceJunkie wrote:

ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/04/15 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Terps flew out to Chicago today --- a day early, because a winter storm is heading into DMV overnight and expected to leave behind snow and ice.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/04/15 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wisconsin got handed a brutal draw. I mean, Purdue is fine, but imagine having to play Zahui B. and then Kelsey Mitchell in back to back games. (If they win two games anyway. I'm pretty stunned that Northwestern is the four seed at the end of the day.

Well, I guess Wisconsin won't have to worry about Zahui B. & then Mitchell in back to back games. Purdue knocked them off in the first round.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: