RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

How do teams fare on senior day relative to their seasons?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cattekin

PostPosted: 03/02/15 1:38 pm    ::: How do teams fare on senior day relative to their seasons? Reply Reply with quote

Has anyone surveyed performance in the last home game of the season?

I wouldn't think the emotion would so affect a team, but Pacific ruined undefeated Gonzaga's party, and then San Francisco spoiled Pacific's (emotion coupled with overconfidence in our case, I think). The visiting teams' wins were so convincing that I wonder if it happens everywhere, often.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/02/15 11:25 pm    ::: Re: How do teams fare on senior day relative to their season Reply Reply with quote

cattekin wrote:
Has anyone surveyed performance in the last home game of the season?

I wouldn't think the emotion would so affect a team, but Pacific ruined undefeated Gonzaga's party, and then San Francisco spoiled Pacific's (emotion coupled with overconfidence in our case, I think). The visiting teams' wins were so convincing that I wonder if it happens everywhere, often.

It depends on the number of seniors in the lineup, but ND often plays worse (at least to start) during senior night. BTW, since ND starts all their seniors for senior nights, you get anomalies like like Alicia Ratay's only game not starting during her sophomore year due to senior night (ND had 5 seniors that year).

For example, this goes back a ways, but in 2001 ND had Georgetown for its senior night game. The halftime score was ND 29 Georgetown 26 (and this wasn't exactly the Sugar Rogers years, if you know what I mean). After the game, they had a celebration with fans and Niele Ivey actually apologized for how poorly they played during the start of that game.

McGraw has even rescheduled senior night if the last home game is a huge one (like, say, when it was UConn or UNC/Duke). Yeah, many UConn fans online have made fun of ND for that, but she just didn't want the distraction for such a big game.

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/03/15 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:

McGraw has even rescheduled senior night if the last home game is a huge one (like, say, when it was UConn or UNC/Duke). Yeah, many UConn fans online have made fun of ND for that, but she just didn't want the distraction for such a big game.

Don't conference's put together the conference schedule, how could she just change the schedule?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/03/15 12:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
CBiebel wrote:

Don't conference's put together the conference schedule, how could she just change the schedule?

Conferences don't tell schools when to honor their seniors. It doesn't have to be the last game. A school could have senior day in January if it wanted to. It doesn't involve changing games schedules, just deciding when to honor the seniors.

Actually doing it at a big high publicity game actually detracts from the attention that should be paid to the seniors.

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/03/15 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
CBiebel wrote:

Conferences don't tell schools when to honor their seniors. It doesn't have to be the last game. A school could have senior day in January if it wanted to. It doesn't involve changing games schedules, just deciding when to honor the seniors.

Actually doing it at a big high publicity game actually detracts from the attention that should be paid to the seniors.

Oh, I thought CBiebel meant she changes the schedule, not picks a different game.

That's not uncommon, last year UCLA Water Polo did it at their 2nd to last game because their last game was against USC.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 03/03/15 4:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Related question: on Maryland's senior night, the Terps give flowers to the seniors on the visiting team. Do other schools do something nice like that?

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/03/15 5:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
Related question: on Maryland's senior night, the Terps give flowers to the seniors on the visiting team. Do other schools do something nice like that?

A couple of years ago USC gave flowers to UCLA's seniors, I assume they do that every year.

I've been to a few other schools, I can't remember off the top of my head that give flowers. I don't think I've been to a school that doesn't at least acknowledge the seniors when they are having senior day, I've even been to a few other sports and the school honor the opposing teams seniors.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 03/03/15 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Theoretically, Ohio State didn't have a senior night this year. Amy Sculloin is a senior but she graduated last year. She had senior day then. She is now in med school and was asked to come back this year due to injuries. She was honored on the last home game which led the radio announce Marty Bannister to state, "She leads the country in "Senior Days".

I think the best part of the gig for her is that she didn't go on road trips. I don't know if she will be in Chicago or not for the tourney.

bekcat1

PostPosted: 03/03/15 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:

Tennessee does that. This year's game vs Vandy, however, saw no seniors on Vandy's team. But usually, Tennessee does give flowers to the opposing teams seniors as well.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/04/15 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:

Iona gave each opposing senior a rose (in Niagara's colors, no less), and I believe Seton Hall at least acknowledged Villanova's seniors. Davidson wasn't even out on the floor at Fordham. St. John's barely did anything for their seniors (and completely ignored the graduate transfer), so they weren't going to give any fucks for Georgetown's. We'll see how Columbia handles Princeton.

PostPosted: 03/04/15 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:

Cal and Pacific do.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: