RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ACC Tournament 2015 - some good matchups

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/02/15 11:27 am    ::: ACC Tournament 2015 - some good matchups Reply Reply with quote

The bracket -> https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf9/3236906.pdf?SPSID=668062&SPID=12979&DB_LANG=C&SITE=UNC&DB_OEM_ID=3350

The entire bottom line should be great: GaTech vs UNC, Winner of that vs Louisville, Winner of that vs FSU, Winner goes to the finals.

With some assumptions about seeds holding:

Day 2, NC St vs Pitt.

Day 2, Miami vs. UVA. If Miami wins, sets up rematch with ND of ND's one conference loss in two years.

Day 2, Syracuse vs Duke. Probably the two tallest teams in the conference. Winner probably gets ND.

If seeds hold, title game between ND and FSU should be a great matchup.

All five days are televised. First three days on RSNs, SemiFinals on ESPNU, Finals on ESPN.

[/list]

ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/02/15 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Despite all those great match-ups, I expect attendance to be down.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/02/15 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:

Why? Can you explain?

ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/02/15 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ripleydc wrote:

Why? Can you explain?

No more Maryland fans.

Ask anyone who's been to the ACC Tourney recently how much Maryland "red" there was in the stands in Greensboro every year. Terps had a huge following. We used to refer to the Greensboro Coliseum as "Comcast South."

xwomynjoc

PostPosted: 03/02/15 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
ripleydc wrote:

Why? Can you explain?

No more Maryland fans.

Ask anyone who's been to the ACC Tourney recently how much Maryland "red" there was in the stands in Greensboro every year. Terps had a huge following. We used to refer to the Greensboro Coliseum as "Comcast South."

As a Terp fan who's gone to 15 straight ACC Tourneys, I tend to agree with you. However, I think, (imho) ND usually has a great contingent of fans that follow them.

PostPosted: 03/02/15 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

xwomynjoc wrote:
ripleydc wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
ripleydc wrote:

Why? Can you explain?

No more Maryland fans.

As a Terp fan who's gone to 15 straight ACC Tourneys, I tend to agree with you. However, I think, (imho) ND usually has a great contingent of fans that follow them.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of Louisville fans. They tend to travel well.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/02/15 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure there will be plenty of ND and UL fans, especially on the weekend. But I doubt they will fill as many seats this year as the Maryland did for the duration of the tournament. JMO.

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/02/15 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has the ACC considered moving the tournament to Charlotte? Greensboro is not an appealing place to visit for multiple days which has to affect attendance. As long as Duke and UNC make a run I don't think location within NC matters because those teams will draw, but now that the conference is expanded could they move it elsewhere like other leagues rotate it around?

ACC's main issue is its best locations are at opposite spectrums and far from the other teams, mainly Boston and Miami. With Maryland out of the ACC there's no reason to hold the tournament in DC or Baltimore but in terms of league footprint that would at least be centralized and avoid giving the NC schools a homecourt advantage each year.

Pac 12 has it right going to Seattle this month. Big 10 I don't get why they are not in Chicago or Indy. Hoffman Estates, why? SEC in Arkansas? Nashville or Atlanta are much better options. Big 12 in Dallas is alright. Pac 12 has easily the best options between Seattle, Portland, Bay Area, LA, Phoenix, and some others.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/02/15 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i look forward to the shrieking school kids on opening day! Smile

every year i'm unable to see the evening games via the RSNs i get- NESN and YES- but i can watch via espn3.

i hope for a FSU-ND final. Could be a good one.

PostPosted: 03/02/15 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Has the ACC considered moving the tournament to Charlotte? Greensboro is not an appealing place to visit for multiple days which has to affect attendance. As long as Duke and UNC make a run I don't think location within NC matters because those teams will draw, but now that the conference is expanded could they move it elsewhere like other leagues rotate it around?

ACC's main issue is its best locations are at opposite spectrums and far from the other teams, mainly Boston and Miami. With Maryland out of the ACC there's no reason to hold the tournament in DC or Baltimore but in terms of league footprint that would at least be centralized and avoid giving the NC schools a homecourt advantage each year.

Pac 12 has it right going to Seattle this month. Big 10 I don't get why they are not in Chicago or Indy. Hoffman Estates, why? SEC in Arkansas? Nashville or Atlanta are much better options. Big 12 in Dallas is alright. Pac 12 has easily the best options between Seattle, Portland, Bay Area, LA, Phoenix, and some others.

I think that the real problem is that no one school will travel that well to fill the stadium...Greensboro is centrally located for many of the schools so those fans travel and BBall is popular here...Greensboro has been hosting for years and has a strong following of locals and city support. Greensboro has a vibrant downtown area, several craft breweries, probably any chain you can think of and tons of great locally owned restaurants. Plenty to do in your downtime.

It will be strange not to have the Terps here...They did travel well

terpsforever

PostPosted: 03/02/15 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
I'm sure there will be plenty of ND and UL fans, especially on the weekend. But I doubt they will fill as many seats this year as the Maryland did for the duration of the tournament. JMO.

Are you going to the Hoffman Estates or whatever it is called?

ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/02/15 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

terpsforever wrote:

Can't get away from work that long. With the tourney in Greensboro, I could work a half day in DC, hop in the car and be there in time for an evening tip-off. Then after the Terps last game, I head to the parking lot and hit the road for home. In Chicago, I need to commit to plane tix and would have to stay until Monday AM. But when I'm lucky enough to be retired, then I will become a basketball traveler!

But I do know many MD fans who are making the trip to Chicago. Not in the same numbers as Greensboro, but there will definitely be some red behind the Terps bench.

terpsforever

PostPosted: 03/03/15 6:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

Can't get away from work that long. With the tourney in Greensboro, I could work a half day in DC, hop in the car and be there in time for an evening tip-off. Then after the Terps last game, I head to the parking lot and hit the road for home. In Chicago, I need to commit to plane tix and would have to stay until Monday AM. But when I'm lucky enough to be retired, then I will become a basketball traveler!

But I do know many MD fans who are making the trip to Chicago. Not in the same numbers as Greensboro, but there will definitely be some red behind the Terps bench.

I went to 3 ACC tourneys in my lifetime. Easy trip. I look at potentially going to Hoffman...but don't want to spend the money.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/03/15 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

terpsforever wrote:
ripleydc wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

I went to 3 ACC tourneys in my lifetime. Easy trip. I look at potentially going to Hoffman...but don't want to spend the money.

Try to get to the tournament when it is in Indianapolis...I think you will have a much better time.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/03/15 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Try to get to the tournament when it is in Indianapolis...I think you will have a much better time.

Breakfast at Café Patachou!

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/07/15 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

? for veteran viewers of the ACCT- Antonelli has said, more than once, that yesterday's LOU-UNC game was one of the best in ACCT history.

Do you agree?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: