RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Nancy Lieberman Award Watch List
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/25/15 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really think moriah jefferson is a bit overrated. Yes she has drastically improved but i think it was more of a confidence improvement than a skill upgrade.She most likely will have a long tenure in The W because of her huskie background/resume but i dont see her being any better than lets say a Jordan Jones At The Next Level. Shes No Bird Or Whalen

PostPosted: 02/25/15 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

joetro wrote:
Isn't there a height limit for this award? Maybe that explains some of the missing folks.

You might be thinking of the Frances Pomeroy Naismith Award.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frances_Pomeroy_Naismith_Award

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/25/15 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
I really think moriah jefferson is a bit overrated. Yes she has drastically improved but i think it was more of a confidence improvement than a skill upgrade.She most likely will have a long tenure in The W because of her huskie background/resume but i dont see her being any better than lets say a Jordan Jones At The Next Level. Shes No Bird Or Whalen

Jefferson still has a couple of years to grow. Isn't she just a sophomore? She could be pretty darn good by the time she's a senior. She makes me think of Shannon Bobbitt, who I've always been sorry Tennessee only had for 2 years. Except I think Jefferson is even faster. I love those little ankle-biter PGs!

PostPosted: 02/25/15 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Jefferson still has a couple of years to grow. Isn't she just a sophomore? She could be pretty darn good by the time she's a senior. She makes me think of Shannon Bobbitt, who I've always been sorry Tennessee only had for 2 years. Except I think Jefferson is even faster. I love those little ankle-biter PGs!

She's a junior.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/25/15 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nm

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/25/15 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, she's still got another year. That can mean a lot. And I don't think she's overrated at all. Temeka Johnson was another small fast PG and I seem to remember she had a decent career in the WNBA.

PostPosted: 02/25/15 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Okay, she's still got another year. That can mean a lot. And I don't think she's overrated at all. Temeka Johnson was another small fast PG and I seem to remember she had a decent career in the WNBA.

I can agree with a decent career for moriah but shes no tameka johnson as far as leadership but shes a better defender than TJ but TJ was ROY and Moriah , well i dont even see mariah starting her Rookie year and maybe not even her 2nd. She could be a serviceable back up PG for someone though.

PostPosted: 02/28/15 1:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Sue Bird won the award 2000-2002, so there's no basis to say that it should go to a senior. But maybe you could argue that few PGs existed before then (except Lieberman). Wink

Taurasi won 2003-2004. See above. Was she even really a PG?

Toliver won in 2008 as a junior.

The standard seemed to be low in 2010 when Andrea Riley won. It says she averaged 6 pts, 1.8 ast, 1.2 reb in 19 mpg. Is this a joke?

Diggins won in 2012-2013, bringing more modern proof that the award needn't go to a senior.

This award has always been a joke. Half the players aren't even the team's pg. Sims won last year and Niya Johnson was their PG. In 09-10 Sam Prahalis should have won. She went 16 PPG and 8 APG. And the fact that she wasn't even one of the 4 finalists her senior year makes this award null and void.

BTW. The stats listed are (for some reason) from the WNBA. Not college. Thus Riley's numbers. She led the NCAA in PPG that year I believe.

PostPosted: 02/28/15 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think they have always placed far too much emphasis on scoring in this award.

BTW, Riley averaged 26.7ppg that year, not 6. She was the second leading scorer in the country. Her win actually illustrates my point.

But 2010 was not the greatest year. The finalists were :
Alison Lacey, Iowa State
Nadirah McKenith, St. John's
Samantha Prahalis, Ohio State
Sam Quigley, DePaul
Andrea Riley, Oklahoma State
Danielle Robinson, Oklahoma
Jasmine Thomas, Duke

As an aside, I think it's unlikely a senior will win it this year unless they award it to Kiesel.

The person I think is missing fom even the initial list is Adrienne Motley.

dfineguy

PostPosted: 02/28/15 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

BTW, Riley averaged 26.7ppg that year, not 6. She was the second leading scorer in the country. Her win actually illustrates my point.

Alison Lacey, Iowa State
Sam Quigley, DePaul
Jasmine Thomas, Duke

As an aside, I think it's unlikely a senior will win it this year unless they award it to Kiesel.

That virtually guarantees a senior will take home this award.

PostPosted: 02/28/15 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Alison Lacey, Iowa State
Sam Quigley, DePaul
Jasmine Thomas, Duke

Andrea Riley was also ranked 7th in assist that season her senior year, averaging 6.5 assists per game. The only player on the list you listed that ranked ahead of her in assists per game was Samantha Prahalis.

Not saying her points per game wasn't a significant factor, but it's not like she was a scorer that didn't pass the ball either. (not that you are or anyone else is saying she is).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: