RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Naismith five finalists announced

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 02/24/15 2:21 pm    ::: Naismith five finalists announced Reply Reply with quote

Asia Durr Louisville

Lashann Higgs Texas

Te"a Cooper Tennessee

Napheesa Collier UCONN

Katie Lou Samuelson UCONN
http://www.naismithtrophy.com/press-release/naismith-trophy-girls-high-school-player-of-the-year-presented-by-hilton-worldwide-national-finalists/

PostPosted: 02/24/15 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks.

You'd think they'd accompany the names with some sort of stats and records to give some insight into what they believe is special about these five. I'm not disagreeing with the choices, but would just appreciate more info.
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 02/25/15 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No brainer if it wasn't all the voters from Peach LOL, that should have never been allowed. KLS has played the toughest schedule by far, 3 x MVP and champion of the best HS tournament in the nation, never been done before averaging 30 a game. Even KML never won that tournament. She has more golds with USA from both 5 on 5 and 3 on 3. Head to Head against Durr in the. 3 on 3 she beat Durrs team handily putting on a show according to several tweets from USA and Durr had Holmes and Page on her team both top 10 while KLS had applicants who were cut first round. Easy peesy lemon squeezy but the only major rankers to have Durr 1 are Peach who are from GA and have 2 GA girls in top 3 who go to their evaluation camps!

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/25/15 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
No brainer if it wasn't all the voters from Peach LOL, that should have never been allowed. KLS has played the toughest schedule by far, 3 x MVP and champion of the best HS tournament in the nation, never been done before averaging 30 a game. Even KML never won that tournament. She has more golds with USA from both 5 on 5 and 3 on 3. Head to Head against Durr in the. 3 on 3 she beat Durrs team handily putting on a show according to several tweets from USA and Durr had Holmes and Page on her team both top 10 while KLS had applicants who were cut first round. Easy peesy lemon squeezy but the only major rankers to have Durr 1 are Peach who are from GA and have 2 GA girls in top 3 who go to their evaluation camps!

What? In the US 3x3 qualifying tournament, Samuelson was on Team Defend with Brianna Turner, Gabby Green, Arike Ogunbowale. Turner was in the process of winning her second straight U18 3x3 Gold Medal. Team Defend went 7-0 in the US tournament to earn the right to represent the US in the World Championship. Ogunbowale was Tournament MVP.

http://www.fullcourt.com/prep/23747/four-usa-basketball-veterans-move-u18-3x3-world-championships

By the way, to the extent you're looking at USA Basketball resumes, Ogunbowale has the same medals as Samuelson. Evidently she never bothered to kiss up enough to Mike Flynn, Chris Hansen or Bret McCormick or attend their camps because she wasn't even on the semi finalist list.

sammieee

PostPosted: 02/25/15 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Probably referring to a pick up game during the U17 trials.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/25/15 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

What? In the US 3x3 qualifying tournament, Samuelson was on Team Defend with Brianna Turner, Gabby Green, Arike Ogunbowale. Turner was in the process of winning her second straight U18 3x3 Gold Medal. Team Defend went 7-0 in the US tournament to earn the right to represent the US in the World Championship. Ogunbowale was Tournament MVP.

http://www.fullcourt.com/prep/23747/four-usa-basketball-veterans-move-u18-3x3-world-championships

By the way, to the extent you're looking at USA Basketball resumes, Ogunbowale has the same medals as Samuelson. Evidently she never bothered to kiss up enough to Mike Flynn, Chris Hansen or Bret McCormick or attend their camps because she wasn't even on the semi finalist list.

And If U Want To Check Out The WC 5 on 5 Gold Medal Game , KLS was A non factor. Durr , Ogunbowale And Lauren Cox Carried The Team. Not saying KLS is not a great player but i dont think it should be a consesus pick for her to win the award.

PostPosted: 02/25/15 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

And If U Want To Check Out The WC 5 on 5 Gold Medal Game , KLS was A non factor. Durr , Ogunbowale And Lauren Cox Carried The Team. Not saying KLS is not a great player but i dont think it should be a consesus pick for her to win the award.

Why don't we look at the big picture, she put the team on her back and carried the U-17 team in the semi finals scoring 25 points with four steals and making 6 of 6 threes in the first half. She led the team in scoring for the Tournament . She was playing with an injured ankle and still played having not fully recovered from a tonsillectomy. She set the USAB record for number of threes and was second in three percentage. She was named to the all Tournament team along with the only other USA player named to the team, Joyner Holmes. Nope, not Arike, or Asia or Lauren, just Katie Lou and Joyner. Yep.

She is the leader in every sense of the word for the number one scholastic team in the country including scoring and rebound. Her team plays the toughest scholastic schedule in the country.

PostPosted: 02/25/15 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

Arike was tremendous in the 3x3 and deserved to be named MVP just as Katie Lou was the best player on the USA U-17 team and was named to the All Tournament team along with Joyner Holmes. Does Katie Lou's selection to the All Tournament Team deminish Arike's accomplishments, I think not but rather reaffirm each other's greatness. I said before I was glad Arike made the Coaches AA team and never should have been left off the Naismith but we all know the Naismith is Peach State territory.

Last edited by Oldfandepot2 on 02/25/15 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/25/15 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Art hates everything not directly related to Notre Dame. Either that, or anything that challenges his self-proclaimed "expertise".

PostPosted: 02/25/15 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I think Art hates everything not directly related to Notre Dame. Either that, or anything that challenges his self-proclaimed "expertise".

No, not true. I deleted the word hate, too strong and inappropriate a word to use.

PostPosted: 02/25/15 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

Why don't we look at the big picture, she put the team on her back and carried the U-17 team in the semi finals scoring 25 points with four steals and making 6 of 6 threes in the first half. She led the team in scoring for the Tournament . She was playing with an injured ankle and still played having not fully recovered from a tonsillectomy. She set the USAB record for number of threes and was second in three percentage. She was named to the all Tournament team along with the only other USA player named to the team, Joyner Holmes. Nope, not Arike, or Asia or Lauren, just Katie Lou and Joyner. Yep.

She is the leader in every sense of the word for the number one scholastic team in the country including scoring and rebound. Her team plays the toughest scholastic schedule in the country.

Yes not discrediting her effort prior to the gold medal game but against the real competition (Spain) where was she? Thats the only picture anyone cares about lol.

PostPosted: 02/25/15 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

No, not true. I deleted the word hate, too strong and inappropriate a word to use.

I haven't complained about Samuelson winning. I'm the one who posted today about her winning the WBCA POY. I was just taken aback by the fictional account of the 3x3 trials and provided a link to an article about it. Samuelson was part of the strongest team that was the prohibitve favotites to win the US qualifier.

I do think it's ridiculous that Ogunbowale was ignored by those folks.

A certain Tenn homer just can stand when I rely on those pesky things called facts and invariably interjects some juvenile comment.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 02/26/15 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

Yes not discrediting her effort prior to the gold medal game but against the real competition (Spain) where was she? Thats the only picture anyone cares about lol.

Well, if it is weighted as you say then why weren't the three you mentioned on the All Tournament team? Talk about using selective parameters to prove your point. LOL.

PostPosted: 02/26/15 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I haven't complained about Samuelson winning. I'm the one who posted today about her winning the WBCA POY. I was just taken aback by the fictional account of the 3x3 trials and provided a link to an article about it. Samuelson was part of the strongest team that was the prohibitve favotites to win the US qualifier.

I do think it's ridiculous that Ogunbowale was ignored by those folks.

A certain Tenn homer just can stand when I rely on those pesky things called facts and invariably interjects some juvenile comment.

You are preaching to the choir if you are defending Arike as I belived she was disrespected big time. She certainly should have been on the finalists list more than Cooper. It appears that the only sites where Te'a is rated higher is on the Georgia based sites. Five of the ten Naismith judges are from Georgia sites so the results are not surprising. Pity. I know she will prove them wrong at the next level.

PostPosted: 02/26/15 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="ArtBest23"][quote="bballjunkie"]No brainer if it wasn't all the voters from Peach LOL, that should have never been allowed. KLS has played the toughest schedule by far, 3 x MVP and champion of the best HS tournament in the nation, never been done before averaging 30 a game. Even KML never won that tournament. She has more golds with USA from both 5 on 5 and 3 on 3. [b]Head to Head against Durr in the. 3 on 3 she beat Durrs team handily putting on a show according to several tweets from USA and Durr had Holmes and Page on her team both top 10 [u]while KLS had applicants who were cut first round[/u][/b]. Easy peesy lemon squeezy but the only major rankers to have Durr 1 are Peach who are from GA and have 2 GA girls in top 3 who go to their evaluation camps![/quote]

[url]http://www.fullcourt.com/prep/23747/four-usa-basketball-veterans-move-u18-3x3-world-championships[/url]

By the way, to the extent you're looking at USA Basketball resumes, Ogunbowale has the same medals as Samuelson. Evidently she never bothered to kiss up enough to Mike Flynn, Chris Hansen or Bret McCormick or attend their camps because she wasn't even on the semi finalist list.[/quote]

Please make sure you know facts before you start whatever it is you do.

3 on 3 requires points for players to enter their major tournaments, USA holds several of them including one during try outs. KLS won that with applicants on her team over teams who had top ranked recruits. If you followed those there on twitter you would have read she put on a show. I know someone in both USA and press row who were there.

Now re Ogunbowale the blame for her not being on Naismith lies with the 5 peach guys who have an agenda to get 2 GA players on there, who went To their eval camps. Naismith has never done that before and allowed a majority from 1 group so why this year?

FYI KLS was captain for a reason and USA lost to France when KLS was ill as Durr and Ogunbowale were just trying to outscore each other instead of playing team ball.

Neither of them come close to matching KLS and her performances in the top high school tournament in the nation leading her HS to winning for 3 years in a row and being 3 x MVP and probably averaging about 30 in those games.

Part of why she is who she is that she is a very unselfish player who will do whatever her team needs to win, play anywhere she is needed on the court and probably one of the smartest.

I should add that Ogunbowale definitely deserved to be in the top 5 for Naismith not only the top 10. Last year Naismith had top 3 and KLS was the only junior of those 3. And don't get me wrong I am actually a Cooper fan and think she has had a better HS season than Durr as her team has played a much tougher schedule as opposed to Durr who plays in a much lower division and they don't play the same type of comp as Mceachern. IMO I probably would pick Cooper for GA POY.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/26/15 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
3 on 3 requires points for players to enter their major tournaments, USA holds several of them including one during try outs. KLS won that with applicants on her team over teams who had top ranked recruits. If you followed those there on twitter you would have read she put on a show. I know someone in both USA and press row who were there.

You really don't know what you're talking about. The US 3x3 teams (men's, women's, U18s, all of them) have been selected by means of a tournament in which the winning TEAM as a WHOLE goes on to represent the US in the international tournament.

In 2013 that was Team Defend (Turner, Green, Ogunbowale and Samuelson), which won the US tournament and then represented the US in the Worlds. In 2014 Turner and Green were too old, so Team Defend added Collier and Boykin in their place to go with Ogunbowale and Samuelson. Then Samuelson got hurt so at the qualifying tournament Natalie Chou played on Team Defend in her place. Defend went 8-0, won the right to represent the US at the Youth Olympic games, and then when Samuelson was healthy she replaced Chou.

Samuelson didn't even play in the 2014 qualifying tournament.

I have no idea where you come up with this nonsense about a point system. The US 3x3 teams are selected as a entire team on the basis of a tournament.

Follow your own advice - "Please make sure you know facts before you start whatever it is you do."

BTW, in case you still for some reason don't believe me, here's the USA Basketball announcement: http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2014/06/us-youth-olympic-womens-basketball-team-named-after-completion-of-3x3-u18-national-championship.aspx

"The 2014 USA Basketball 3x3 U18 National Championship Tournaments concluded Sunday at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and as the winner of the women’s tournament, Defend (8-0) earned the right to represent the USA at the 2014 Youth Olympic Games from Aug. 16-28 in Nanjing, China, after downing Southern Stars (5-3) 21-14 in the championship game and finishing the weekend undefeated."

And here is the 2013 announcement:
http://archive.usab.com/mens/3x3/13_3x3_u18_081113.html

"DLDC (7-1) and Defend (7-0) captured the men’s and women’s USA Basketball U18 3x3 National Championship Tournament titles Sunday at the U.S. Olympic Training Center (USOTC) in Colorado Springs, Colo. In claiming their respective titles, both teams also earned the right to represent USA Basketball at the 2013 FIBA U18 3x3 World Championship Sept. 26-29 in Jakarta, Indonesia. "

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/26/15 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

Well, if it is weighted as you say then why weren't the three you mentioned on the All Tournament team? Talk about using selective parameters to prove your point. LOL.

My point is where was She in the Gold Medal Game When it counted Not the tournament team. If you READ when i agreed with your earlier comnent then maybe you could comprehend my point Arrow

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: