RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Do you root for your alma mater or your local school?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which best describes the school for which you primarily root?
My alma mater, which is in the state where I now live
27%
 27%  [ 12 ]
My alma mater, which is not in the state where I now live
23%
 23%  [ 10 ]
A school not my alma mater in the state where I now live
30%
 30%  [ 13 ]
A school not my alma mater out of the state where I now live
18%
 18%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 43

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/21/15 11:25 pm    ::: Do you root for your alma mater or your local school? Reply Reply with quote

The idea of this poll is to test whether fans' primary rooting interest is for the alma mater from which they graduated or attended versus a school local to where they live now. Or both. Or neither.

For example, does the Duke graduate who now lives in Palo Alto root for Duke or Stanford.

If you root for more than one school, choose your primary rooting interest.
Queenie

PostPosted: 02/22/15 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In D-III, my primary rooting interest is my alma mater, though Hunter has been determined to flush their program down the drain for the last few years. Turning your WBB program into epic fail takes talent when your student body is even more slanted female than most undergraduate bodies. (It was about 75-25 when I was there.)

My primary D-I rooting interest is the team of my borough, because they ARE the team of my borough. I believe in root, root, rooting for the home team. If I were to move, I would transfer that loyalty to a home team in my new locale, though it'd take a few years to fully switch over; I believe in personal loyalty as well (which is why I follow Michigan).

(now with spelling variations)
Stephen Shirley

PostPosted: 02/22/15 12:12 am    ::: Changed loyalty Reply Reply with quote

Wow. This question reveals just how convoluted my allegiances are.

I grew up in Murfreesboro, TN, but my family never paid any attention to MT sports. I have strong family ties to UT-K as my grandparents both worked there, my father graduated from undergrad and law school there, my mother attended and my step-father graduated from law school. So we were a Big Orange home in every sense.

But my stepfather attended undergrad at Lipscomb University which is where I ended up going to college. While I was in school, Lipscomb was NAIA so there was no conflict of allegiances. But my siblings all stayed home and went to MT where they became big fans of all athletic programs.

I left Lipscomb about the same time they went NCAA. Prior to the move, I was a HUGE basketball fan. I went to away games, including multiple trips with overnight stays. But the move absolutely killed the energy of the basketball programs. Gone were the yearly trips deep into the NAIA national tournaments. The women made their inaugural trip to the NCAA and have never been back. The men haven't really been close. And Don Meyer, the heart and soul of Lipscomb basketball left over the move.

In 2003, I moved back to Murfreesboro and started attending MT athletic events. One thing led to another and I made the complete transfer of allegiances. I can name every MT player for the past 10+ years but couldn't name you one Lipscomb player. Ironically, I still keep close ties to the Lady Vol program as well which remains my first WBB love.

So to answer the poll question: I cheer for another team in the city in which I live despite being 30 miles from my alma mater.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/22/15 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I believe in personal loyalty as well (which is why I follow Michigan).

Is this a reference to Kim Barnes Arico or something else?

I was in my hometown of Staten Island in December for the first time in several years, and noticed that St. John's has a nice campus there. It probably should now be considered a Staten Island school.

Queens College needs fans.
pilight

PostPosted: 02/22/15 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course I root for my alma mater. Go Teddy Bears!

PostPosted: 02/22/15 1:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I root for my grad school alma mater (Stanford), which I live about a mile from. My undergrad alma mater (Marquette) is halfway across the country and I don't follow their teams.

Last edited by CompSci87 on 02/26/15 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
FS02

PostPosted: 02/22/15 2:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I actually attended UW and root for the teams, which makes me a bit of an oddity.

But had I decided to relocate to another part of the country (which I almost did a couple of times), I don't think I would as much. It is hard to care about a team if you can't see their games on a regular basis.

PostPosted: 02/22/15 2:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CompSci87 wrote:
I root for my grad school alma mater, which I live about a mile from. My undergrad alma mater is halfway across the country and I don't follow their teams.

I thought about people who have degrees from multiple schools, since I have four myself.

For purposes of the poll, I think such people can consider any or all those schools as their alma mater if they want to. Other people think of their alma mater as only their undergraduate school. If that's your view, I suppose you should answer the poll that way.
auntie

PostPosted: 02/22/15 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My BA is from Brandeis which I believe is DIII. I was raised in CT and my folks and my brother are UCONN grads. There is no one in Brooklyn to root for, so why not go with the winner, especially since the Knicks seem to show new ways to suck every year.

PostPosted: 02/22/15 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Root for the school where I received two of my degrees: NC State. I also live about 15 minutes from campus.

Loosely follow the school where I did some grad work: Georgetown.

Second team I cheer for the most in sports is Wake Forest.
I was born in Winston-Salem, and it has always been my family's second team. And I really enjoyed watching Muggsy Bogues play growing up.

And finally, I cheer for the low-level Div 1 school where I currently work, though I haven't always cheered for the schools where I've worked (ie UNC-Cheat).

beknighted

PostPosted: 02/22/15 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I root for my alma mater, Rutgers.

During the Joe McKeown era, I also liked GWU, in part because in those days I could walk from my office to the Smith Center for games, and usually did a couple of times a year.

I have a loose hierarchy of teams that I root for or against in WCBB, although not nearly as elaborate as the one I have for Major League Baseball, which is adjusted periodically as ownership, etc. changes, but always will be fixed at the top (Mets) and bottom (the loathsome Yankees).

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/22/15 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I was in my hometown of Staten Island in December for the first time in several years, and noticed that St. John's has a nice campus there. It probably should now be considered a Staten Island school.

Kim, as well as Megan Duffy and Joy McCorvey. (We're friendly enough with Megan that we invited her to the wedding {she was out on the recruiting trail, but she sent glasses and got us a point guard [who transferred the next year, but such is life]} and Joy is my most favorite Johnnie {I own and wear her jersey}.) (This is why we also keep tabs on JMU, Coastal Carolina, and other random places where SJU transfers end up.)

We actually did hit a Queens College game a few years ago. (Sky Lindsay sort of made us, and we did live walking distance from the campus.) But as a CUNY girl, I have issues with QC's whole "we're too speshul for the CUNYAC, we're going to be D-II, neener neener neener" thing. Also, that is one of the least comfortable places I have watched a sporting event, and bear in mind that Hunter's gym is literally underground.

But you bring up an interesting point about satellite and auxiliary campuses. (Campi? Campii? Ciampi?) Part of why I started my WCBB journey as a Rutgers fan was because my dad went to Rutgers-Newark, and the husband follows the D-I FDU because he went to the D-III FDU.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/22/15 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

auntie wrote:
My BA is from Brandeis which I believe is DIII. I was raised in CT and my folks and my brother are UCONN grads. There is no one in Brooklyn to root for, so why not go with the winner, especially since the Knicks seem to show new ways to suck every year.

LIU and St. Francis would like a word with you. Wink Okay, so they both kind of suck this year. But LIU actually has a nice little gym, and the best post-game eats you'll find in NYC- they're about three blocks from the original Junior's. (SFC's facilities, on the other hand... well, it's better than my high school gym, but my high school gym was an auxiliary facility with badly placed columns, so that's not saying much.)

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 02/22/15 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If we're talking strictly about D-III, where my Alma Mater resides, my loyalties are firmly for the moment with Kenyon College. I was fortunate enough to be there while Maureen Hirt, the current all-time scorer put on her show. Kenyon would have been the class of the conference, had DePauw--the national powerhouse, not joined.

As for D-1? My father is a Stanford grad, and he got us to watch Stanford games growing up--primarily because my younger sister was into ball before she was sidelined for good by Concussions.

I've recently moved to Philadelphia, which has a bunch of D-1 programs, but the only game that I've had any interest in thus far was when UConn visited town to slaughter Temple. (Mainly because if UConn had been unbeaten, it would have been Geno's 900th. Thanks Stanford for ruining my chance at being a part of history along with Mo'ne Davis.)

I've thought about dabbling in watching Penn or Temple but never really got into it.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/22/15 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, I root for my alma mater (Wisconsin) but it's kind of a lost cause.

I lived in Tennessee from 1973-2008 and my dad taught at UT. I became a Lady Vols fan practically as soon as Pat Summitt took the reins, partly because a girl from the town where I lived was on the team and it was a huge deal. I have followed them as my primary team ever since. I had season tickets for a long time. I really, really miss going to the games and hanging out after for the interviews, getting to know the players, etc.

I now live in the Shenandoah Valley and more or less follow JMU. I got to know one of the players slightly last summer when she worked at the local Costco. I also try to follow (at a distance) a couple of other teams because of their coaches.

PostPosted: 02/22/15 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
If we're talking strictly about D-III, where my Alma Mater resides, my loyalties are firmly for the moment with Kenyon College. I was fortunate enough to be there while Maureen Hirt, the current all-time scorer put on her show. Kenyon would have been the class of the conference, had DePauw--the national powerhouse, not joined.

As for D-1? My father is a Stanford grad, and he got us to watch Stanford games growing up--primarily because my younger sister was into ball before she was sidelined for good by Concussions.

I've recently moved to Philadelphia, which has a bunch of D-1 programs, but the only game that I've had any interest in thus far was when UConn visited town to slaughter Temple. (Mainly because if UConn had been unbeaten, it would have been Geno's 900th. Thanks Stanford for ruining my chance at being a part of history along with Mo'ne Davis.)

I've thought about dabbling in watching Penn or Temple but never really got into it.

There's one Penn game you should go to this year. March 10th. 5PM. It's the last regular-season game of the 2014-2015 season. And they host Princeton. If things go as they've currently been going in the Ivy, you might get your chance to see history after all.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 02/22/15 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:

There's one Penn game you should go to this year. March 10th. 5PM. It's the last regular-season game of the 2014-2015 season. And they host Princeton. If things go as they've currently been going in the Ivy, you might get your chance to see history after all.

Tuesday is the one day I can't get out of work early. Go figure.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 02/22/15 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I might be the only Queens College alumni on Rebkell. Thanks to the 73 AIAW run to the championship game it got me interested in WCBB.
However, I root for my local teams in So Cal as I have seen many of the players go from local high schools to these schools.

Go Knights!! How about that OT win against Post yesterday in Brookville!!

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/22/15 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My primary rooting interest is Marquette which happens to be in the area where I live now (grew up in Ohio though).

I also cheer for UWGB when they aren't playing for Marquette and somewhat follow UW-Milwaukee and Wisconsin.

If Terri Mitchell ends up coaching again, I expect to be rooting for the school she ends up at.

dinkytown

PostPosted: 02/22/15 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My alma mater, St. Cloud State, only plays DI hockey. They are DII in every other sport. I'll root for them when they play Minnesota in hockey otherwise I cheer for the Gophers in all sports. Since there are only multiple DI Minnesota teams in hockey I'll root for any of them after St. Cloud State. Probably 1. St. Cloud State, 2. MSU-Mankato, 3. Minnesota, 4. UM-Duluth, 5. Bemidji State.

I live in Colorado now but thanks to BTN watch the Gophers as much as I can and follow them very closely. Easy for football and men's basketball. I follow the Buffs loosely (especially this year). I would follow Colorado State more if they were ever on TV.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 02/22/15 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still follow North Dakota State although I haven't been to a game in almost 25 years. And by follow I mean catch games on the infra webs as well as keep up with message board talk. I've been out of the Fargo area since the early 90s but Bisonation has a good following.

I was also associated with Eastern Washington University but I don't really follow their program. From my time in the Inland NW I do follow Gonzaga somewhat.

I followed Duke in the GG days (while living in Cheney, WA) and now that I live in Southern Oregon, I follow both Oregon teams.

gopher5

PostPosted: 02/24/15 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I attended a D-III school in the state, so can root for them and the Gophers. I don't make it to many of my school's games, but follow how they do. As dinkytown pointed out, there is only one DI basketball school in the state. That makes it easy for me on who to support. But I also follow how players who grew up in MN and play elsewhere do and want any MN school to do well in the post season. And I enjoy watching other DI teams as well.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/24/15 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I attended Notre Dame for undergrad and cheer for them. Seeing as I live in Arizona now, I don't see their games live, but I watch most of them on the computer or TV. My graduate degrees were from Wisconsin-Madison and ASU, but I don't consider myself a fan of either team.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 02/26/15 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I root for 3 teams, but they've never played each other, so choosing sides is not an issue.

My most avid rooting is for the Terps (College Park, MD is about 20 miles from my home in Northern Virginia). As soon as Brenda Frese arrived, I was onboard the Maryland bandwagon . . . and it's been great fun.

I also root for my alma mater, Dayton. I only see them in person once every two years when they play on the road at George Washington University.

And my third team is a DIII school, Morrisville State College in upstate New York. Decades ago, I started the women's basketball program at that school and served as their first head coach. (At that time, coaching was an unpaid side job. My paying job was in College Student Personnel.) Thanks to Facebook, I now follow their progress -- and I'm pleased to report that they just won their 1st ever NEAC playoff game in program history (and I bet I am one of only a couple of people alive who actually know when that history began!)

GO Terps! GO Flyers! GO Mustangs!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: