RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Two girls' HS basketball teams booted from postseason play
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt5762

PostPosted: 02/25/15 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, there are many lessons I think we want to be teaching young people. I would argue that "seeing the big picture" and "playing smart" are at least equally valuable. For me it's a huge issue that applying these lessons could result in what happened here.

Also, is it not worse to cheat the players, fans, etc. out of two very meaningful regional playoff games (as the TSSAA now has) than to cheat them of one district consolation game? "An eye for eye" or "two eyes for one"...now there's another lesson learned here...is it the right one?

And I see a lot of folks saying "respect the game" but I struggle to understand how any game is deserving of respect when it is in both teams interests to lose? This is entirely contrary to the basic point of any competition and if I was an informed fan in attendance here you can bet I'd be hoping for my team to lose (and more importantly for no one to get hurt).

Don't get me wrong, I'm hardly endorsing these coaches' actions, but to lynch mob them and particularly the players to me is short-sighted and completely fails to address *why* this happened. And it does little to prevent similar, perhaps less obvious versions of the same, from happening again.

Matt5762

PostPosted: 02/25/15 5:20 pm    ::: Re: Two girls' HS basketball teams booted from postseason pl Reply Reply with quote

uconnfan1 wrote:
Don't know why Tenn HS Assoc didn't reseed teams since two teams were disqualified. Blackman HS had to play Monday night, while the next team they're scheduled to play had a bye because of the disqualification.

The format here is two districts are paired in the regional and is similar to the way some conferences seed their tournaments by division standings:

A1 vs B4
B2 vs A3

B1 vs A4
A2 vs B3

Since the 3 and 4 teams from district A got removed, the top 2 from district B got byes.

It seems is this case district B is far weaker than district A and the 1st place team is district A is significantly better than everyone, so A4 is a much more advantageous position in the regional than A3.

Many options to fix this i.e. could allow the consolation winner to choose from the A3 or A4 slots or could reduce the regional field to 6 teams such that only the consolation game winner gets in and the the district champs get a first round bye.

There will always be bad apples but I really hope the systemic issues here will be addressed.

dtrain34

PostPosted: 02/25/15 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matt5762 wrote:
I see a lot of folks saying "respect the game" but I struggle to understand how any game is deserving of respect when it is in both teams interests to lose? This is entirely contrary to the basic point of any competition and if I was an informed fan in attendance here you can bet I'd be hoping for my team to lose (and more importantly for no one to get hurt).

This is perfect 21st Century thinking: the final result is the be-all and end-all. Bottom line, whether a team moved forward in the tournament or not, if they needed to duck a certain opponent, they have no shot at the big brass ring in the first place so should go down fighting instead of losing to delay their inevitable elimination from the tournament.

People say the "worst call in sports" was the Russell Wilson INT in the recent NFL title game. No, the "worst call in sports" was Bill Bellichick ordering his defense to lay down for the Giants three years ago so he could theoretically get the ball back with a chance for the Patriots to pull off a miracle. He didn't get the miracle, he did get the win this season when he played straight up goal line defense.

I would be ashamed to have video of myself, my daughter or a team that I coached out there of one of us playing the way those teams did in TN. You lose enough in sports without losing on purpose because you know you'll lose to the team you will play if you win. It's in no way a "lynch mob" to criticize something you disagree with.

Don't like the process? Ask for legislative changes during the off-season. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the WIAA has instituted blind draws to avoid this very thing after it was pointed out the motivation was there for Washington teams to do this in the past.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/26/15 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe they should have just hired(paid) Ted Donaghy as the ref, then they wouldn't have to take the blame Laughing

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/04/15 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't notice this article posted anywhere.

Quote:
Rutherford County director of schools Don Odom announced Wednesday that Smyrna's Shawn Middleton and Riverdale's Cory Barrett wouldn't be permitted to coach at their schools or at any other Rutherford County Schools athletic program during the 2015-16 school year.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/12381643/two-tanking-tennessee-girls-coaches-suspended

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 03/04/15 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:

Quote:
Rutherford County director of schools Don Odom announced Wednesday that Smyrna's Shawn Middleton and Riverdale's Cory Barrett wouldn't be permitted to coach at their schools or at any other Rutherford County Schools athletic program during the 2015-16 school year.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/12381643/two-tanking-tennessee-girls-coaches-suspended

That's a good start, but it should've been FOREVER.
bekcat1

PostPosted: 03/04/15 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
First of all, it's only a game. So if the coaches and players want to lose the game, why should it become a "moral" or "legal" issue to bureaucrats or the completely uninvolved public such as us?

Secondly, it was a calculated decision to lose one non-elimination game in pursuit of a greater goal: winning the tournament. Chess players often "sacrifice" a piece in the hope gaining a strategic advantage that will show up later in the match. The correct analog to chess match is the basketball tournament not some individual game.

Tempest in a teapot by teapot bureaucrats and sideline kibitzers.

Really, Glenn? REALLY? This is the kind of message you want to send to kids? That it's okay to play to lose?

No. Just....no. And remind me again why I don't want you advising me on my hypothetical kids or team.

Not to mention there were paying fans at that game IIRC. It's a gyp to those folks who paid to watch a competitive game as well.

Beemer

PostPosted: 03/04/15 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

Quote:

That's a good start, but it should've been FOREVER.

Co-signed ________________________

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: