RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

It appears...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YourCrimsonNightmare

PostPosted: 02/26/15 8:23 am    ::: It appears... Reply Reply with quote

That Oklahoma's long-overlooked team is a team after all. Playing outstanding basketball, OU handed Baylor their first conference loss, and their first loss after 25 straight wins, and for much of the game it appeared that the 26-1 Bears would lose without a challenge. But when Baylor took a 6-point lead with just 3 minutes remaining, it looked like BU would finish another season in the Big 12 without a loss.

That didn't happen, as OU outscored Baylor by 10 points in the last 3 minutes, and played perhaps their best game since their blowout win against Colorado in the 2002 NCAA regional final, a year that saw the Sooners defeat Duke in a blowout win in the Final Four before losing to UConn in the championship game by 7 points.

I'll say this about OU this year. Young as they are, ignore them and you may rue the result.

PRballer

PostPosted: 02/26/15 8:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sherri Coale can flat out coach. I encourage you to watch clips of her practices and drills on YouTube. She's no joke.

Her team is young, especially that backcourt of Ortiz and Little. But once they put it all together they can be scary good for the next 3-4 years and recruiting (especially instate) is looking strong.

If they end up as a 5/6 seed in the tournament, I wouldn't want to play them.

YourCrimsonNightmare

PostPosted: 02/26/15 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="PRballer"]Sherri Coale can flat out coach. I encourage you to watch clips of her practices and drills on YouTube. She's no joke.

Her team is young, especially that backcourt of Ortiz and Little. But once they put it all together they can be scary good for the next 3-4 years and recruiting (especially instate) is looking strong.

If they end up as a 5/6 seed in the tournament, I wouldn't want to play them.[/quote

They will end up with a hosting seed. mark me on that.
]

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/26/15 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

....right on cue.

PostPosted: 02/26/15 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about playing them. They won't be playing in their friendly home environs where they are 12-0. They'll be playing away from home where they are 6-9.

I thought it was interesting last night that while OU was the team playing a frenetic hack-attack defense, they only got called for 13 fouls, while Baylor got whistled for 22 fouls and had two of their starters in foul trouble. Prince's fouls where dumb, but fouls just like the over the back that led to her 2nd personal and the technical were routinely ignored throughout the game. OU shot 24 FTs, Baylor shot 11. Pretty obvious from whence the differential in the final score emanated.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/26/15 1:00 pm    ::: Re: It appears... Reply Reply with quote

YourCrimsonNightmare wrote:
That Oklahoma's long-overlooked team is a team after all. Playing outstanding basketball, OU handed Baylor their first conference loss, and their first loss after 25 straight wins, 1. and for much of the game it appeared that the 26-1 Bears would lose without a challenge. But when Baylor took a 6-point lead with just 3 minutes remaining, it looked like BU would finish another season in the Big 12 without a loss.

That didn't happen, as OU outscored Baylor by 10 points in the last 3 minutes, and played 2. perhaps their best game since their blowout win against Colorado in the 2002 NCAA regional final, a year that saw the Sooners defeat Duke in a blowout win in the Final Four before losing to UConn in the championship game by 7 points.

I'll say this about OU this year. Young as they are, ignore them and you may rue the result.

I didn't even get to watch last night's game, but I'm thinking there's 2 VERY--unique!--perspectives here (see underlined portions):

1. For "much of the game", I believe it was OKLAHOMA that was leading. At least, according to the box score on ESPN. At the very least, it was close. I doubt Mulkey would have told you she thought they were in charge for most of the contest.

2. "Best game since" might be a bit of a reach. Nothing I read about it indicated it was a Classic for The Ages. Good solid coaching by Coale (nothing unexpected) and gritty effort by the players? Yes. Top Ten Best Ever? Can't judge without seeing it, but....really?

Look, I'm as big a Sooner Fan as the next guy, so yeah--beating Baylor was huge. But let's be honest: this is, thus far, NOT the Sooner's brightest season, by a long shot. Now, if they make the FF, we'll talk. Cool

PostPosted: 02/26/15 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ATB, I know that you have absolutely no respect for OU. That's not my problem.

YourCrimsonNightmare

PostPosted: 02/26/15 1:32 pm    ::: Re: It appears... Reply Reply with quote

There are times when a team exceeds all expectations of what they can do. The last time, in my opinion, that OU exceeded that vision was 2002.

So what's your beef?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: