RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Fight Night in Alabama
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beemer

PostPosted: 01/23/15 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't believe I've ever seen an official get knocked over while trying to break up a scrum. Shocked

Suspensions had better be coming up. You don't so much as touch or even breathe on an official.

PostPosted: 01/23/15 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, this will be interesting for sure. I would think there could be some extra time for the player that joined in with the other 2. She certainly wasn't rushing in there to break things up.

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 01/23/15 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Griner got two? games for a punch that seemed worse to me.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/23/15 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LegoMyEggo wrote:
Griner got two? games for a punch that seemed worse to me.

I don't think any player shoved a ref to the ground in that incident. Personally I'd consider this incident worse.

Durantula

PostPosted: 01/23/15 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2 game suspension for Muhammad and Hayden. NCAA 1 game suspension, then SEC adds a 1 game suspension

http://www.hoopfeed.com/content/2015/01/23/auburn-at-alabama-erupts-in-a-brawl-three-players-ejected/

Auburn and Alabama were the only two SEC teams that were winless before last night's game so this surely doesn't help their chance to upset anyone.

FS02

PostPosted: 01/23/15 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Also, national media barely gives a damn about WCBB normally but if a fight breaks out, they all come out the woodworks to document, process, analyze, interview about, comment on and rehash it. JMO.

They say, "There's no such thing as bad publicity", but I'm not sure I agree in this case.

PostPosted: 01/24/15 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
BTW, wasn't Curry the coach of Texas Tech at the time of the famous Griner-Barncastle incident?

Just a coincidence? Or is there some reason why she happens to be there during famous dust-ups involving her teams?

She was the coach. And it's not a coincidence. I'm very disappointed in Curry. Her rep when she was in Ruston was very positive but she hasn't lived up to it anywhere else. TTech was a nasty team to play when she was there. Hardly surprising that her Bama team has gone the same way.

RP

PostPosted: 01/24/15 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
BTW, wasn't Curry the coach of Texas Tech at the time of the famous Griner-Barncastle incident?

Just a coincidence? Or is there some reason why she happens to be there during famous dust-ups involving her teams?

Unless you have some reason to know there is, that's really irresponsible of you to link the two.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/24/15 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Unless you have some reason to know there is, that's really irresponsible of you to link the two.

Wink

tfan

PostPosted: 01/29/15 7:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
2 game suspension for Muhammad and Hayden. NCAA 1 game suspension, then SEC adds a 1 game suspension

http://www.hoopfeed.com/content/2015/01/23/auburn-at-alabama-erupts-in-a-brawl-three-players-ejected/

Auburn and Alabama were the only two SEC teams that were winless before last night's game so this surely doesn't help their chance to upset anyone.

I would have given an extra game for the player who threw the punch that started it, versus the one who was responding.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/29/15 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Durantula wrote:

I would have given an extra game for the player who threw the punch that started it, versus the one who was responding.

Those are NCAA and SEC suspensions respectively. I think they are prescribed, and I don't think there's necessarily any additional one for "s/he started it". If Kristy Curry had any integrity, she would sit the one who threw the first punch for an additional game, as IIRC Mulkey did to Brittney Griner. However..... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 01/29/15 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Personally I find it far more offensive that the Bama guard who ran clear across the court, pushed a ref aside, and nearly strangled Muhammed pulling her by her jersey got no suspension at all, than that the other two got equal syuspensions.

Matt5762

PostPosted: 02/01/15 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And the hits keep coming for Auburn - Hasina Muhammad, once suspended for 2 games, now dismissed from the team: http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2015/02/auburns_hasina_muhammad_dismis.html

Shades

PostPosted: 02/01/15 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matt5762 wrote:
And the hits keep coming for Auburn - Hasina Muhammad, once suspended for 2 games, now dismissed from the team: http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2015/02/auburns_hasina_muhammad_dismis.html

What the?.....makes it kinda hard to get drafted.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/01/15 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She didn't even throw the first punch. WTF is wrong with Auburn's coach?

PostPosted: 02/01/15 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It must have been something else other than just the fight. The fight landed her the 2 game suspension so I doubt it goes from that to kicked off the team unless there was other stuff occurring.

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 02/01/15 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The article says she was suspended for violating team rules .

sigur3

PostPosted: 02/01/15 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scfastpitch wrote:

Maybe getting in fights and being suspended by the NCAA is against a team rule.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/01/15 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure how Muhammad handled the whole situation. Maybe she didn't say the right things. Maybe she said she'd do the same thing all over again. But I feel genuinely bad for her. She got hit first and pretty hard, both refs could have wrapped her up before she had a chance to retaliate but they were clumsy as you know, and now she gets dismissed from school because of the whole ordeal? Don't try to tell me the fight had nothing to do with the dismissal.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/01/15 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I'm not sure how Muhammad handled the whole situation. Maybe she didn't say the right things. Maybe she said she'd do the same thing all over again. But I feel genuinely bad for her. She got hit first and pretty hard, both refs could have wrapped her up before she had a chance to retaliate but they were clumsy as you know, and now she gets dismissed from school because of the whole ordeal? Don't try to tell me the fight had nothing to do with the dismissal.

And she actually looked upset and contrite while the Alabama players were laughing and hamming it up.

I hope (and assume) this is unrelated to the fight 'cause she doesn't deserved to get tossed from the team for that.

tfan

PostPosted: 02/02/15 2:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

I think they are prescribed, and I don't think there's necessarily any additional one for "s/he started it".

I look at it as one player is responding to the normal crap or an enhanced version of such that they allow to go on at the free throw line. I don't think the refs called a foul on that activity, but maybe the punch came too fast. But the other player is responding to being punched hard in the face.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/02/15 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I think they are prescribed, and I don't think there's necessarily any additional one for "s/he started it".

I look at it as one player is responding to the normal crap or an enhanced version of such that they allow to go on at the free throw line. I don't think the refs called a foul on that activity, but maybe the punch came too fast. But the other player is responding to being punched hard in the face.

I'm trying to remember...two of the officials were going to call a foul on the activity that was going on during the free throw. Looking at the play-by-play, it looks like they did call a foul on Mohammad.

It's kind of a mess, but it's what 'Bama has on their website.

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2014-2015/ua012215.html
Quote:

01:14 FOUL TECHNCL by Hasina Muhammad
01:14 FOUL by Hasina Muhammad (P2T10)
FOUL TECHNCL by Hayden, Breanna 01:14
FOUL by Hayden, Breanna (P2T9) 01:14
01:14 FOUL by Hasina Muhammad (P3T11)
FOUL by Knight, Meoshonti (P1T10) 01:14
FOUL!TECHNCLTbyyKnight,bMeoshontiyla 01:14 29-15 H 14
GOOD! FT SHOT by Middlebrook, Karyla 01:14 30-15 H 15
01:14 30-16 H 14 GOOD! FT SHOT by Katie Frerking
01:14 30-17 H 13 GOOD! FT SHOT by Katie Frerking

Also, I wonder if something has happened with Mohammad in the past and she was on a zero-tolerance policy and then this happened.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/02/15 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
tfan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I'm trying to remember...two of the officials were going to call a foul on the activity that was going on during the free throw. Looking at the play-by-play, it looks like they did call a foul on Mohammad.

Quote:

Also, I wonder if something has happened with Mohammad in the past and she was on a zero-tolerance policy and then this happened.

They also called fouls on Hayden, the initiator of blows, and Knight, the other player ejected, so I'm not sure what this proves.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/02/15 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
tfan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Quote:

They also called fouls on Hayden, the initiator of blows, and Knight, the other player ejected, so I'm not sure what this proves.

I was responding to the statement in red. A foul as opposed to technical fouls that were called on Hayden and Knight.

Since a tech also counts as a personal, it is showing that Hayden and Knight are credited with personals, But if you look, Mohammad ends up with two personal fouls (in blue). One for the tech and one for the actual personal.

Sorry I wasn't more clear.

warladytigers

PostPosted: 02/02/15 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
scfastpitch wrote:

Maybe getting in fights and being suspended by the NCAA is against a team rule.

C-Mo sat out her suspension and they published her apology. While this may be related in some way I don't think it's because of the fight. Not only is this a possible blow to her career (overseas or WNBA) it will be interesting to see how this young team responds - we are already at the bottom of the league - can't get much lower.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: